cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

I am quite sure that I can be added to the list of scammed people. I sold a bunch of jewelery scrap to a guy, one piece in particular was marked P14k. The buyer claimed that it was only 10K bs , and that some other pieces were fake bs. Anyways, he immediately opened a case, and becuase I checked out his past transactions before responding, (lots of negatives and I new that he would be a trouble maker) I iiuused an immediate refund so as to make sure the bs'er didn't give me a negative. I even paid his return shipping. Its week 3 and I haven't seen my items even though he claims that he shipped then. I asked for tracking, but the scammer ignores my messages. So, I am out roughly 300$ in jewelery and I even gave the scammer more money by paying his so called shipping back fees. Now what do I do?? Buyer can say whaever he wants and will make a good living off of good people that are trying to do the right thing and look out for their prescious feedback score. So bogus

Message 121 of 613
latest reply

I am a seller also i have run into 6 people out of 300 i have sold too that have tried to rip me off. Ebay did nothing but give them money back. I lost that money and the items. Ebays is a joke. why cant we all find another site or create one? with all the chatter and people on the internet and word of mouth people with leave evilbay by the ship load. They steal from honest sellers. they dropped my selling down to only 200 a month from 15,000 dollars FROM 15 GRAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because of a few scumbag human beings. they hurt my family. nobody hurts my family. ebay needs to pay dearly........Donahue the president does not care about what he calls noise from sellers. Just the bottom line and his golf game. neither does the majority share holder that french born american educated iranian who's own mother wiped his ass until 30. ebay has become the demon. the people who run ebay are nothing but a bunch of cowards. none of them veterans who served the USA. not real men but complete pansies and momma's boys with toys. sorry about my grammar and rambling. while all the other mommas boys were in school i was working the farm to help my family. now ebay has seen to hurt my family by reducing what i sell to only 200 dollars a month from 15,000 (even tho i never was near 15k a month in sales) i called and for 2 hours was given the (WE WANT YOU TO WORK ON YOUR CUSTOMER RELATIONS BETTER BULLSH*T)! out of 200 positive feedback a month for 3 negatives 2 by the same jack butt i got knockd down in sales to 200 a month. I seriously despise ebay now and i want to start another online auction site. (*&^ ebay.) Im going to try to slay a giant. I guess even  not so smart man can kill a giant. I will give my own life to destroy ebay

Message 122 of 613
latest reply

let us know how it works out for you. i'm an old timer on other ids. it's never worked in the past,and it won't now.

you agreed to certain rules and policies,and if you didn't protect yourself by USING the seller tools available,well..as my momma would say,you wanna dance,you pay the piper,even if you don't like the music you asked for.

you are leaving feedback in violation of policy,your responses to buyers are INCREDIBLY rude,who do YOU think is to blame for your issues as a seller? cuz it ISN'T your buyers.

frankly,i'm amazed you're still allowed to sell at all,especially considering what you are selling.

Message 123 of 613
latest reply

This truly breaks my heart that people really do not believe in karma. That guy should be ashame of hisself if it really was not damamge. I hope that you get your money back.

Message 124 of 613
latest reply

yes- the same thing is happening to me right now!!!

Message 125 of 613
latest reply

Oh yeah... please read my post "What does NO RETURNS mean??? 

It is all starting to make since now... every time a buyer scams a seller eBay still gets their cut. In other words they get to be the judge on behalf of the buyer and it is GUARANTEED MONEY for eBay! If they rule in favor of the buyer you lose the item, the money, but still pay the selling fee. Notice how there is no way for you to contest what you believe the buyer has done to you? It is biased from the beginning! I am thinking if eBay would have to start refunding selling fees every time a buyer scammed a seller they would lose their ass! If you think about it... the system is pure genius! 

Back when eBay first started their website I am sure the money they were making was adequate... then as they started to manage all the cases filed a light bulb went off! There is a chance to get the cake and eat it too!

The facts are clear... how many ways are there to lose as a buyer compared to all the ways to lose as a seller?

SAD... VERY VERY SAD!

Message 126 of 613
latest reply

I know EXACTLY what you mean, My friend was a seller on Ebay and was doing pretty good. But when the new buyer protection policy came into play she was getting complaints from "buyers" who claimed that her items were damaged during shipping. She didn't know what to do because Ebay did not offer any kind of Seller Protection nor did they even bother to look further into the complaint without taking the buyers side. Ultimately she stopped selling on Ebay altogether. She looked into making her own website and couldn't have been happier. I'm so sorry this happened to you, and my best wishes to you for the future. I hope that Ebay starts taking action, because ultimately, the sellers are the "bread and butter" so to say. 

Message 127 of 613
latest reply

Something very similar has happened to me. So frustrating, some people are so unfair but beleive in carma!
Message 128 of 613
latest reply

I sold one phone 5 sprint for one buyer, but there had a problem so buyer said I need my refund back. I said OK, and  did refund but still she have my phone, she didn't gave me back, and now she is not responding me, I sent lot of msg to her but she didn't replied me any one of msgs well I am thinking what I have to do now, any buddy have idea about that ?

I check her address she is too far to me, 20hrs drive, I don't have any option, and I didn't find any option on eBay, where I can contact and my phone will be back to me, I guess I lost my phone, she took my phone and she took money too.

@esell-resell wrote:

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 129 of 613
latest reply

what should you do/ you should read the rules before you sell anything else.

you NEVER refund without a return inhand,period.

and yes,you're screwed this time. take it a tuition,and learn ALOT before you sell anything else,especially something in a high fraud category. good luck.

Message 130 of 613
latest reply

Thanks for that info  I'm glad I never got any

Rima

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dvrkid2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=
Message 131 of 613
latest reply

I recommend to everyone to exclude Canada in all your listing. I have had SEVERAL similar experiences like this in the past 5 years of selling on eBay.

Somehow in every case the buyer requested special favors in pricing and shipping charges. Finally there was dissatisfaction, funds hold, and bad reviews.

Just 4 days ago I had another Canadian buyer emailing me back and forth several times asking for favors. He sounded very arrogant too after I had been very accommodating to him. I immediately excluded the buyer and later decided to exclude Canada all together.

Just to be sure that I made the right decision I just Googled the search words "eBay Canadian buyers" and found this discussion.

Surprisingly I don't see any complaints of this nature outside of eBay. It can be that, since eBay facilitates cross-border purchase, they take advantage of the sellers. I don't know the Canadians enough but I sure hope to God that this is not the common attitude among all of them.
Message 132 of 613
latest reply

How can you block an ebayer? I've had an ebayer harass me because I wouldn't measure some pants that said they were a size 4 REGULAR and are Capri's. I hate when a ebayer doesn't get their way and then calls you names and harasses you.(I know, a little off topic)

I hope the rules change, especially for people who sell really expensive stuff, good luck!

Message 133 of 613
latest reply

Just wanted to note to meecha7878 the seller that got conned was Canadian by someone in the USA. You cant label a whole country badly because of one bad experience. I am sorry that this happened. I used to sell alot on ebay. I have been conned by people in several countries. Not going to point fingers. I also had alot of good experiences selling to those countries. I just got feed up with how badly ebay treats the sellers and quit selling. Closed my ebay and paypal. Started fresh and I don't sell anymore.
Message 134 of 613
latest reply

Just happened to me today, Bought the shipping label from EBAY and tracking, item is sitting at a USPS waiting to be delievered per the tracking yet because EBAY said I would deliver in 2 days ( I shipped within 2 days and used prioirty from Tennessee to Nothern NY) they allowed did not reciieve and made my Pay Pal negative.  When I called they said yes we see its in the process of being delievered but its not there yet.............How is the USPS my fault? I have to wait for my items too............I'm tired of selling on Ebay

Message 135 of 613
latest reply