cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

When they do it to me I threaten to file a lawsuit and they usually leave you alone after that
Message 106 of 613
latest reply

all i can say is leave...and then someone else will take your "sellers" spot.  Ebay can care less...there are many people out there that know nothing about ebay and are willing to learn it the hard way, and ebay is "CASHING IN" on these sellers...(like myself) im fed up with it too..but now I just raise my prices to make up for those times that I get robbed by buyers and ebay.  Someone else can pay for the people who scam me out of my product and get their refunds...cause I ain't paying for it... :)))))))

Message 107 of 613
latest reply

Yeah ebay and paypal has ripped my off and has a 180 day hold on 1500$ because I did not have proof of purchase (receipts from clothing I have received or owned over the past 3 years). Like are you kidding me how many 23 year olds do you know that keeps receipts. Then i complained because I called 4 times...each time it was a different thing (please provide proof of address, we just need the person receiving the $300 dollar to accept for proof of shipping, etc.) it is RIDICULOUS!!! They ended up telling me maam we can no long do business with you, so my pay pal and money is locked down. I sell on other websites and people are like do you accpept Paypal. Its annoying and there is nothing the sellers can do about it. I am a 23 year old in college and can not afford to have a little over $1500 just held somewhere else because of these idiots.

Message 108 of 613
latest reply

ALSO....i sold a pair of authentic RARE coach shoes for only $35 shouldve sold them for more. Took pictures the day before of how they look exactly stated I have worn them at the most 7 times. I get a case opened by the buy that she wants $15 refund that the shoes were so dirty and etc. I said no sorry, I will refund the whole $35 and you can send back (all this through the open case). She then keeps messaging me on my ebay email not through the case email. I simply said I will only reply to you throught the open case so ebay can read all these messages. She said she wanted to keep the shoes that she really liked them but want the $15 refund and didnt want to send back and she tried to make me feel sorry for her or somthing by saying shes 66 years old. I thought to myself why would a 66 year old be getting silver hightop coach shoes that have sequins on them.lol.  I escalated case to ebay they made the decisions for her to send them. Its been a month still no shoes have been sent back. But she messages me "i listed these shoes as worn for 7 days how would I know these probably arent even my shoes and that I am a loser" lol. Buyers these days. If you do not want something USED then and less expensive, go to the store and by somthing brand new. DUHHHHH

Message 109 of 613
latest reply

HA!!! ups not barbarians..... I bought some reloading equiptment, told seller to increase the shipping to cover insurance... he never did.... when my box of crushed parts arrived the dude trashed me to Ebay(who by the way SUCK!!!!!) I forwarded photo's and refused delivery... actually just walked away from UPS dude laughing... said send it have... OMG they destroyed the package... who know's what the driver did with the package..... I contacted the sender... showed him photo's with the UPS dude in it trying to hand me that mess.... I informed him it was on its way back.....I emailed him a week later he said he never recieved it... I went thru UPS they showed delivery conformation in the other end.. it took me 8 weeks to even get someone who cared from Ebay.... so it isnt just the seller..... OMG Ebay blows ass.... I absoultly refused to ever buy again... one employee listened and paypal saw photo's and get me my money back... but I still was treated like I was scamming..... I so hate ebay... and when you compare it to other site's Ebay is 30 to 75% more than anywhere else.... they can keep ebay... my spending limit on ebay is 45.00 these days after that incident..... uggg EBAY BLOWS

Message 110 of 613
latest reply

After reading all of these posts... I feel like if I ever sell anything I will record it working, me packing it, and me bringing it to the shipping company...

Message 111 of 613
latest reply

That really sucks that there are dishonest people out there. But at the same time buyers only recoars when thev've been ripped off by bad information in the item description is paying return shipping. So a sellar can list virtually any item worth less then 50 bucks and its not worth the time or money to get a refund. My advice is to not sell anything thats value greatly less then it's shipping cost. And realize that customers are the ones with the money. Ebay like walmart has to rule in the customers favor most of the time to stay in buisness. Sorry about your luch that really sucks but scammers are both sides.

Message 112 of 613
latest reply

why would you take a $20.00 LOSS ( $90.00 shipping charge plus a selling cost of $170.00 ) and than ship it to him for $280.00  SOMETHING SMELLS IN THIS TRANSACTION  AND IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO ME TO BE THE BUYER

Message 113 of 613
latest reply

Same kind of things has been happening to me. All my sales are below $100.00. most 20-40. When there is a problem I have them open a case and send pictures of broken item. I will loose money before I reward the Buyer by crediting them money to replace broken part. Buyers can be the worst and ebay errors on the side of the Buers, Just bad!!!

Message 114 of 613
latest reply

Kharma is a **bleep**! God don't like ugly! Before its over this thief and liar will get his payback 100 fold!!
Message 115 of 613
latest reply

I did not read all of your message, but I think a seller should never sell half the price of an item expecting the buyer to pay the other half after he gets the item.

That's what I think the sell should be like, in here, at eBay.

Have a good one you all 😉

Message 116 of 613
latest reply

Works just the same only from the buyer's perspective. eBay lets sellers advertise stuff for sale that they DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE!! No repercussions on seller, either. You would think their account would be cancelled.
Message 117 of 613
latest reply

if this isnt the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  You lost me at you paying $280 for shipment when you only received $260 total.  So you were ok with paying someone $20 to take your $200 item?

Message 118 of 613
latest reply

I sold jewelry that had a 'delivery confirmation' tracking number.

The Buyer filed a 'did not receive'

The tracking number didn't show that it was received until after

the Buyer received a refund.

I am out the Product the Money for the product AND the Shipping.

I surely CAN'T be the first person the Buyer scammed.

Why doesn't E-bay protect Seller's if they purchase the Label

on E-bay's website with a tracking number showing it is in transit.

The Seller has done their job, we can't do the PO's job too!?

WOULD SOMEONE OUT THERE start another Auction Site

so we have choices on where to sell our items?

Message 119 of 613
latest reply

This just happened to me I have 271 positive feedbacks. Buyer had none. eBay refunded his money I know have an iPad that looks like the buyer took it apart I suggest everyone do same as me and use preloved and gum tree. eBay and PayPal are the same company. And. Don't care about sellers long as there getting there fees
Message 120 of 613
latest reply