cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

xxxploader
Enthusiast

I believe the correct term IS... 'Con-People' vs. Con-Man ! :^O

Message 31 of 613
latest reply

caddyuptown
Enthusiast

I myself are going through some trouble having a buyer claim a bag I sold to him/her is fake. But yet the buyer did not ask any questions prior to bidding. The questions actually came when the bag was a couple of hours from being delivered to his/her front door. The user had the nerves to ask me for extra pictures to have the pictures authenticated, But yet did not ask when I had the bag in my possession. I now have a claim filed against me and refuse to let this scammer get away. As well the bag has been in the users position for 8 days already and now wants a refund. Ebay is now asking me for a receipt as if I bought the bag last week and still have which I don't, I bought the bag last January or if I have any papers of authenticity as if I have the bag in possession now to get it authenticated my self which is impossible because I don't have the bag in hands. Do they not realize this? My paypal went into negative balance as I never leave money in my paypal knowing they tend to do as they wish with your hard earn money. I have yet fail to see a seller win a dispute. This is just becoming a joke starting with ebays "return policy"

Why would ebay even add "No returns" when it's clear a buyer has 45 days to do as they wish your item and file a claim when they simply want there money back.

Now My main point is I am afraid the buyer will return a fake bag and keep my real bag so there for I will not accept any returns what so ever. If so I vow to take this into extreme legal matters as I have family members that are lawyers and will stop at nothing to help me.

Message 32 of 613
latest reply

Hello All

Question-to-anyone????

How can i hide the cost of postage on my shipping labels,when i print my labels ??most of the cost is $5.20, and my customers know the cost of a item when they buy it,for its included in shipping cost with purchase,

i just think it looks tacky,and i want to, not show the cost, can any one help out??

thank you

Message 33 of 613
latest reply

TAKE YOUR LOSSES,SAVE THE STRESS,AND NEVER SELL TO A CANADIAN AGAIN,

I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITH CANADA.

I'VE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY SINCE 2000.

CANADA= TROUBLE!!!

Message 34 of 613
latest reply

UPS certainly is a bunch of barbarians.  They barely take care of anything that they're handling.  All they care about is getting the item from point A to point B.  I know a lot of people who have had things delivered UPS and the merchandise arrives with all sorts of dents and scuff marks, and that's when it was packed correctly.  I will never use UPS for my store.

Message 35 of 613
latest reply

I'm 63 years old, retired, and sell computers on eBay mostly as a hobby.  I'm not trying to make a lot of money, but I'm certainly not trying to lose money either.  I have a 100% seller rating and nearly 5.0 scores in the 4 rating categories.   In the 2+ years I've been selling here, I'm seeing a concerning trend of excessive favoritism of eBay toward buyers (usually bad ones).  Having some legal background, I'm guessing eBay feels less threatened from a legal standpoint by taking the buyer's side and putting the burden on the seller to fix the issue even if the buyer is the problem.  I'm getting very frustrated selling on here because it's obvious that an increasing number of buyers are beginning to take advantage of eBay's policies to extort basically whatever they want from a seller.  In my opinion if you have seller feedback and category rating scores of a certain level, eBay should take that into account when a buyer complains to them or files a case.  For example, I had a situation where a buyer with 9 eBay transactions took apart their new computer, tore up the side panels because they didn't know how to remove them, and likely fried the motherboard.   The buyer then filed a case without contacting me as they said the computer was not as described.  Long story short, I wound up having to reimburse the buyer and received a very damaged and torn up computer back.   I've decided not to stop selling on eBay, but I am scaling back my sales.

Message 36 of 613
latest reply

Hi i understand where you are coming from and i have had a couple of the same things happen and ebay does nothing and you get a negative feed back that you cant do anything about and you have done nothing wrong and you know you have done everything right and the loss of money and i have had several people say that the item was not as described when i well know that it was and like you i try it out before sending it out so there should be no problem and then they are very angry if you dont agree to pay the return postage so now you are out money again and what is the solution???? i agree with you ebay should change some of there policies they always side with the buyer and you always have to give them a refund and it is getting old for me as well and you cant keep affording to do that  wish i knew what the answer was but ebay will not listen when you call it is like everyone of them as the speack down pat and it is like listening to a recording and they are not interested in your problem they go through the motions MARCIE

Message 37 of 613
latest reply

Read this for some answers:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m12/i16/s01

Message 38 of 613
latest reply

bluesteel6900
Enthusiast

I had a buyer named Matsuyiki or Matsyuki, I ve seen his name with both of these spellings, requested a different shipping address from the one on EBay. Lots of people request this due to items being gifts and it was right before Christmas. I shipped the item, registered with signature. He received it. After I sent him the tracking number, he initiated a chargeback in PayPal and got his payment back because, according to Pay Pal, it wasn't shipped to his registered address in Pay Pal. Get this....he had NO registered address in Pay Pal!! EBay could not help me. The 4 other sellers he had in his profile all left Positive feedback, but complained later when they too were ripped off in the same fashion. Their negative comments dissapeared after 90 days so no-one knows when they deal with this crook, and that he's ripping people off.

EBay used to allow NEGATIVE FEEDBACK to allow others fair warning before dealing with crooks like this. If they still allowed it without expiration, fewer people would fall victim to crooks like this. His phone number they had on file was fake, EBay could have verified this as easily as I did with one phonecall, so I'd imagine the address is fake too.

I did everything a good HONEST person would do in this case and yet EBay and Pay Pal take the side of the buyer. Now I am out almost $2,000 with a handfull of excuses, and Pay Pal sticking to their User Agreement which is a NULL AND VOID CONTRACT which is unfollowable due to him not having an address on file with Pay Pal.

I have files complaints with the IC3 website and have sent this information to the press. I will contine this until they get the point.

As of now, the FEDs have copies of all my documentation and I am not a fan of either site. Depending on the Federal investigation, a lawsuit, or Class Action Suit could follow.

I'd like to hear about any other incidents like this. The more we can provide to the investigators, the better.

bluesteel6900@hotmail.com

Message 39 of 613
latest reply

I definitely can feel the pain.  I have been selling on ebay for 13 years and this past year has been a nightmare.  I sold a cut glass pitcher that was perfect with pictures to prove it.  Buyer said item was damaged and sent back a broken completely different pitcher and paypal refunded them.  I also sold a bracelet that arrived safely and buyer left positive feedback - 4 days later buyer says bracelet is broken and paypal sides with the buyer and refunds money even though they had left positive feedback after receiving the bracelet days earlier.  I have about 1 out of 20 buyer want a partial refund and what can you do but give it for fear of negative feedback.  I also have a friend that sells designer items on ebay and she sold a LV Belt for $500.  Buyer complained that it was not authentic and wanted to return.  Belt was for sure authentic has my friend only buys at the big department stores.  She received back in the mail a belt but not the belt she sent - it was not even an LV belt and she spent days on the phone with ebay and paypal and they refunded the buyer.  She was out the $500, the belt and the last slap on the face was that ebay said she was out of compliance and gave her a bad ranking for selling knock offs - UNBELIEVABLE.  I sell a lot of estate jewelry and I am fearful of being taken on a large ticket item.  Ebay's new business policies are pushing the good sellers off of ebay.  Any one have any suggestions on how to protect yourself as a seller?

Message 40 of 613
latest reply

19portmerion51
Enthusiast

Hey I'm a buyer ripped off by seller who sent a handbag that stunk of smoke!  She said NO RETURNS in her listing.  She said "USED'"

in her description covered smoke. Accused me of lying because I had buyer's remorse.

ebay Buyer Protection sided with seller who lied her head off.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  It really is a bad way to sell expensive items.

Message 41 of 613
latest reply

jv19406
Enthusiast

Should have looked twice before I shipped the jewel of my knife collection to a guy who hasn't paid. I also have two other cases or jewelry I sold that hasn't paid. Its my fault for sending before payment, but if you take too long people complain. I was gong to the post office anyway so I shipped them. Never again. Not shipping a thing until I get paid.

Message 42 of 613
latest reply

I sold an item to an overseas customer who said he never recieved the item. He was refunded through paypal. He bought another item and said he never received that item. I became suspicious and told him I would have to investigate. He filed a complaint with Ebay and escalated the complaint to quickly recieve his refund even though I had proof of tracking both times that the item left the country. I blocked him from purchasing after the second time. A short time after I recieved an order from the same country and I recognized the address as the same address but this was a different Ebay id. About 2 weeks later the second id ordered again. Before the 30 days were up this new id filed claims that he did not recieve the item and I just happened to notice the first id was selling the items I sent on Ebay. I called and pointed this out to the Ebay rep on the phone and guess what. They still refunded the person even though he was selling the items he needed that he ordered from me. This is a case of seller beware. I blocked the second id and also blocked the whole country for the future purchases. Ebay is always going to favor the crook, oh I mean buyer in disputes. It has happened to me numerous time already. They have shipped back different items, they have shipped back used item when we only sell new and sometimes they ship back an item that there is nothing wrong with just because they found it cheaper elsewhere and you would not give them a pricebreak because you would be losing money. You are still out the shipping. Seller's can't win on Ebay.

Message 43 of 613
latest reply

This entire thread is one of many reason why I only ship to the continental United States of America. If you ship outside of the lower 48 for any reason, your statement should start with "I don't care if I get screwed out of my hard earned money." Shipping to the lower 48 and with USPS guarantees that all federal mail laws are easily enforceable.

Message 44 of 613
latest reply

Ebayer bought my item.  Didn't want it so filed a credit card charge back.  Paypal told me I'd win because my listing clearly stated the item.  As time progressed (you have to wait 75 days) he never returned my item.  Well after 75 days I lost the charge back and didn't get back my item.  Never fail though!  Paypal told me they were automatically fighting again because this was a "ridiculous outcome." Well 45 days later I just found out I lost a second time.  Paypal won't fight the credit card charge back again.  Oh yeah did I mention the item was $1200!  Paypal now won't help me regarding the matter and urged me to seek legal council.  The guy got his money back and has my property.  I think at this point if you sell ANYTHING on ebay over a hundred bucks you might as well be in vegas betting on black.  It's just too easy to get screwed.  I was told again and again I had nothing to worry about.  I was told the buyer could no longer use paypal.  Well I looked and he has a hundred plus listings up.  I'm going to try etsy and see how that goes.  Ebay has gone to far!

P.S. I did hire an attorney and I am going after the guy...

Message 45 of 613
latest reply