cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Not exactly but  from ebay made a purchase, claimed it was received damged then claimed that she could not take pictures or provide any proof then fell off the radar. I provided full refund before receiving proof. smell a scam, I wonder how many times she has doen this?

Message 196 of 613
latest reply

amen brother I'll tell you what I'm the same way in the last yearits been nothing but one big headache after another I got one today its been over my return policy and I bet you 50 bucks I'm going to get screwed on this one too I'm like you I got two kids disabled and this was I use to make my living but it seems like anymore it's costing me more than its getting me I'm like you I'm sick of it I'm ready to throw in the tile I think the bar protection program is abused quite frequently I think the Seller Protection Program is a flat out joke I'll tell you would it's the sellers especially when ebay first started put all the money in their pockets so looks like we're in the same boat I've been doing this over 12 years and this little punk has to feed back one of them is mine so I don't know bout time to throw in the towel I think or I may just tell him to go screw himself then have my ID he can leave me negative feedback they can cram there power seller and top-rated seller program because its a joke too you know before that Highly thought of why are we getting screwed all of the time nobody seems to help us when we have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for somebody to pay that's something else it gets on my nerves and I'm glad I went ahead and got his email today I was fixing to list a bunch of stuffwell forget that up and I'm so so tempted to pull everything else that I've got listed it's just not worth it this used to be fun used to be really nice way to make some money for some food on the table now its just Kurupt and full of dishonest people and quite frankly I'm starting to hate it this will be the like 3rd or 4th return that I've actually got screwed on another one I got hit on was the guy didn't even realize what model phone was looking it there was nothing wrong with the device there was no defects everything works perfect but because he was stupid to look close at the pictures and read a little bit that I still had to give him his money back and that's something else but block on the PayPal account I think that's a crockalso and it's not right I think it's borderline stealing you know we don't go to Walmart or Target and put a block on their account because we're not happy so why should they be able to do the same to us well I'll get off my soapbox now and brother you're not alone so don't feel bad y'all have a good one now and I'll go figure out a deal with this jerk.
Message 197 of 613
latest reply

hey if you do that give me a shout I'll be happy to get in on it my My eBay identification is on that last post I would sure be happy to get it on that biggen_videogames I'll cut the chase instead of looking for the post there it is.

Message 198 of 613
latest reply

FYI I insure any shipment that goes UPS, it doesn't cost that much and is WELL worth it. UPS shipments are already insured up to $100 for free and insurance costs only about $1 per $100 of value you wish. Take it even a step further include insurance in your shipping costs.

Message 199 of 613
latest reply

ME TOO....ONCE AGAIN getting ripped off by Ebay. HAd a Buyer from new york make a purchase........then filed a claim stating it was a fake item....which it is not....i have all paperwork but buyer doesnt want to see it because he knoews he will get his money back AND get to keep item.....Ive never recieved a item back that ebay has made me refund....I call and complain to ebay and they say to bad so sad.....they are helping people STEAL from us. A Class Action lawsuit sounds perfect to me. I have LOST GOODS and $$$$ and Ebay only cares about sellers. Sellers know they can buy stuff and rplace it with counterfeit stuff and get thier money back....Ebay enables scam artists...Ebay is no longer the safe fun site it once was......Ebay is a joke and costing people money with its unethical policys towards sellers. Anyways...Guy in New York sent item to guy in San Diego....and now wants his money. Ebay is aware thru the emails that the guy transfered ownership after purchase...I guess he resold it....but still they tell me they will rule in his favor. I have papers from store...and the ditributor for the store stating the item was 100% real and ebay says they will still rule for the buyer....Buyer does not have to PROVE item is fake...But Im not allowed to prove Item is real....Im selling strictly on AMAZON for now on.

Message 200 of 613
latest reply

haha u got owned..
Message 201 of 613
latest reply

I hear you friend. Lisson A Buyer from South East Asia Purchase some Anesthetics from me express international Mail. There is no Tracking to her Country. It tracked as far as New York. and I believe a lot of these international buyers know that. Hay 2 days after I shipped the item. The buyer files an item not received case against me...Not 1 week or 2 weeks 2 days after she purchased the item. Does that sound like a scam...Because I thought ebay has some common sense, and would obviously see this is a scam. I escalated the case to customer support, and before i did that i also called customer support...They ruled in her favor, so I'm out 200 plus dollars and another 48. for express mail shipping. Yes this is my business and it supports my family sense i lost my work do to the economy, some years back....Lisson ebay will kinda play the extortion game, because if the case goes to customer support and its ruled against you. It will go against your sellers ratings, which will affect your possion visablity on your ebay lisitings. So your punished for your bad behavior. Yet ebay will ask us to sign these petition to stop the government from charging ecommerse retail taxes to protect there bottom dollar, because there afraid it will drive buyers away. Yet they allow ebay scam artist to extort us, and you don't need to be much of a Artist to scam on ebay. Yea a little **bleep** off, because I have to give into these jake offs who have nothing better to do than floot around ebay looking for victims....

Message 202 of 613
latest reply

Can't you see this guy was out looking for someone to scam. Seller shouldn't have to go through this because of ebay policy, and ebay doesn't even follow there own rules. The guy never sent  any photos or even replied to the seller, that alone should be reason to rule in the sellers favor...If the buyer cuts off comunication, than the buyer isn't willing to work the problem out...All this bull**bleep** with having a return policy, don't even put one in, because you don't have one....If we don't comply with these scam artist we are punished and it goes against our sellers ratings....Hay lisson if the buyer complies and sends back the item and its damaged by all means give the guy a refund. If the buyer files a case and cuts off comunication, and doesn't respond to the seller in the case files. The case should be closed in favor of the seller....PERIOD.

Message 203 of 613
latest reply

The only thing I have learned about Ebay Resolution Center is that Ebay protects the buyers.

The buyers can claim whatever they want, call you names, threaten you, engage in stalking 

behavior and Ebay won't do a thing. 

Bottom line is that it's not worth it for me. I sell a lot more directly from my online site. My online store

costs me $29/month, I can list thousands of items if I wanted to. 

Sure I have to do my own marketing, etc but ultimately it is worth it. You actually develop

something tangible that has a real value. 

Ebay may expose your product line to more people, but ultimately it also

exposes you to more scammers. The headaches are not worth it.

Thankfully, there other auctions sites proping up that actually do a better job at protecting

the sellers and only allow US/CAN sellers.

Message 204 of 613
latest reply

E-bay sucks for sellers; it only protects the buyer. With increasing fees and **bleep**ty policies i think someone should come up with a new online auction site that has equal bias.

Message 205 of 613
latest reply

E-bay sucks for sellers; it only protects the buyer......... someone should come up with a new online auction site that has equal bias.

Agree

Message 206 of 613
latest reply

I feel much better now knowing I am not the only ONE who encountered such thing!!! I sold an brand new item and the buyer told me it was the wrong item. I was pretty sure what I shipped but I did not have picture to prove it. So I offered the buyer refund option....I wait again and again and again..and finally I received message from the buyer that he just shipped the item, at the same time, I received message from ebay saying that the buyer escalated the case to them....after a week I received the package and when I opened the box, I found that the buyer used some of my item.....ebay refunded the buyer full amount. I was ripped off by this buyer!!!! Some buyers abused the ebay buyer protection cover. I talked to ebay rep and they told me that this is part of business risk!!!!!! I believe the buyer did all on purpose..... As to the feedback, the seller is supposed to have right to response to whatever feedback buyers made.....regardless positive or negative. It has to be fair, not to buyer but seller as well.
Message 207 of 613
latest reply

read the rules before you list again.

Message 208 of 613
latest reply

Hello,

I am new to selling- just listed my first 2 items tonight. I have excellent feedback as a buyer, and even before selling, I'd come across youtube videos of these buyers scamming sellers and it made me sick. Now, I find myself completely worried that I may get scammed because they can say my description is off, or whatever else they choose to do. Is Ebay still siding with the buyers in the majority of these incidences? I almost want to end my auctions before they really get going now. One item is "preowned"- but they are really like new boots. I did not say that though, for fear of someone's interpretation of the term. I was honest and said to please zoom in on the 12 pictures to be sure and get a good look. I said there are scratches(pictured with zoom) on one boot's sole. I have no returns and Paypal only selected-though, now I worry about Paypal, too. I also just learned of the 0 feedback scam, so I included, "cannot sell to buyers with feedback score less than 5". I read that was ok to say. I also learned how to restrict certain bidders - in a general sense, not specific bidders, as I have no history with any buyers yet- and I checked off many of the boxes such as: no bidders with zero feedback, no buyers without a Paypal acct, no bidder from country outside of where I ship, etc. Would you have any advice or more to the point, warnings for a neophyte such as myself? Thanks for your time...Jen

Message 209 of 613
latest reply

well,hon,to start with,you CAN'T restrict zero feedback bidders,unless they have at least 2 unpaid strikes. 

why don't you come over to the part time seller's board,and start your own thread,we can help you without disrupting this thread. 

i'm barri,or sin,if you prefer,and i'm a regular there. they're good people,and yes,they'll holler at you for not reading properly( like i'm doingin my first sentence),but they'll help.okay?:)

Message 210 of 613
latest reply