eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

in reply to retirednotbychoice

this is why i am qutting using ebay......buyers keep winning and buying my auctions and  asking for their money back at various points after i have gotten the payment.  I keep having to do 3 times the work for one auction.  my items lose value, get returned, lose watchers and i have to put up with these lying dirtbaf buyers because of ebays policies.  i have a friend that has a company called auction doctors.  He does anywhere from 100 to 300 grand on ebay a year and he is the one who organized all my complaints for . i am an above avereage seller,,,,,they have lost my business.  But now they are going to start losing the big boys.  You have to protect the seller.  1 auction should mean 1 auction.  screw this relisting , refunding idiots with attitudes Bull@#$%.  And i am tired of customer service girls that cant speak english and dont understand the job they have and hold times waiting for managers that never pick up.  screw ebay royally.

true joke

etsy, craigslist,  here i come

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jess_n_ging

Ditto!

I have had 4 return requests in two weeks where as I have "never ever" had one before in two years. The two returns i received were not the items I sent, and the theives on the receiving end know they can get away with it.

No honor among theives, and the law of averages will catch up with them...as I have a cousin in the justice department in DC who loves this kind of dishonesty...EBAY!.

Please use plain text.
jess_n_ging
Community Member

in reply to grantorinobro11

Happened to me too. They dont seem to care at all anymore about the seller..

Please use plain text.
jess_n_ging
Community Member

I was just ripped off. Buyer claimed item arrived damaged I agreed to return, he returned different item, ebay does not care nor does paypal. They refunded him and offer me no recourse at all. Told me this is the price you pay and to expect it. This new policy is insane.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pimpernal

This has also happened to us more then once but, the items were no where near $21000 That is awful. Both our products were in the 500 range.

This new buyer protection issue is the worst policy eBay has put out yet. The Return Requests system is a JOKE. So Someone claims the item is not as described you have 3 options.

Option 1 Pay for a return shipping label and refund the buyer when you get the item back.

Option 2 Offer a partial refund.

Option 3 Just give the buyer a full refund and let them keep the item.

So Lets say you pay for return shipping and you get the package back but, then when you open it the box is full of bubble wrap (or a bar of Soap) NO PRODUCT. I then when and disputed the return and get this eBay does not give you the option to tell them why you are disputing the Return request. So I called eBay about this and Garrett G Told me eBay does not care why you opened the dispute the only thing eBay looks at is the buyers history. The only way they will side with the seller is if the buyer has been reported several times otherwise and this is what Garrett G Told me "Well it is the cost of doing buisiness, you should expect these things to happen."  

Please use plain text.
pimpernal
Community Member

in reply to axisjewelers1

EBAY & PAYPAL BUYER SCAM BEWARE/ DANGER

I just lost $21,550.00 because I sold a Rolex diamond studded watch to a customer in Europe and was scammed. I have sold collectables on EBay and used PayPal for many years. Everything was pretty good until both EBay & PayPal decided to add a safeguard for buyers only called "Buyer Protection." There is no protection for sellers. Here is what happened to me: I put up a diamond studded Rolex watch for sale at a Buy it Now or Best Offer price of $24,000.00. An EBay user offered me $21,550.00 and I accepted the offer. I shipped the watch by FedEx (not insured) requiring a signature. The item was received by my buyer who paid me through PayPal by the way.  A few days later the buyer filed a complaint with PayPal the watch was "not as described." I emailed the buyer to return the watch for a full refund. A week later I received a package back from the buyer. When I opened it there was a bar of soap inside. In the meantime PayPal froze the funds in my PayPal account saying I would have to dispute the reversal of the money back to the buyer which I did. Over the next few days through the dispute process I was told I had to file a police report which I did online with a site like Interpol. I filed a report both online about what had take place as well as calling PayPal directly. The party I spoke to was very sympathetic with my story as they are trained to by the way. Over a three week period I waited for the funds to be released but instead received an email from PayPal that the ruling was against me and for the buyer. I was stunned and when I called PayPal back they told me word for word, "we had no way to have inspected what you sent and therefore under our Buyer Protection Policy had to rule in the Buyers favor. I am leaving EBay and will never again use PayPal. If you have had this happen to you please add your experience here. Perhaps with enough complaints someone can file a class action law suit against EBay & PayPal and we can get our money back.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to axisjewelers1
Also, too many Seller's are selling overpriced junk that they buy in China in huge amounts and then basically mark the item up 1000% or more. For example, some Seller's buy Stabilizer links or other Automotive items at around a $1 a piece and throw it on eBay for $10 to $20 or more. Then you have some real nuts selling cars that are pure junk and there prices are just beyond belief and they keep relisting these cars over and over again and whoever buys their junk is a real foo and I think most people searching on eBay are smart but some Seller's have no ethics. I noticed a car sold on Mecum Auto Auction for under $20k and then I noticed it on eBay about a week later for over $38k. I'm like whaaat? I purchased a wheel cover for a Honda CRV and Seller said it was "New" but when I received it, it was used and the Seller just cleaned it up. Its really pathetic what's going on eBay as people aren't doing the business they once used to but have now decided to start overpricing their junk.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abbasdiscount

I have practically stopped selling anything on eBay as many Buyers' are not serious at all and just play tons of games bidding on items then pullint off all kinds of stunts to either not pay or have it shipped oversear. Its just not worth selling on eBay anymore, as in the last couple of years eBay has really gone down hill and they will suck their commissions out of your account within a second even though the sale never went through, then you have to spend about an hour on the phone going back and forth with people who's primary language is not English. I personally have started selling now on Amazon and it has been great everything sell quick and one doesn't have all the problems like you do with the eBayer's who just play games.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Tell buyer to return for refund and stop talking to him. Good luck

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

I fear I am about to be the latest case of being ripped off by a buyer.  Customer purchased an automotive scan tool from me, it was in perfect working condition, I would know because I owned it for the last 5 years and hardly used it, I even bought a new battery and charger for it recently so I could sell it with confidence that ther would be no problems.  2 days after recieving the tool, buyer contacts me and says a button does not work. I respond that that is impossible because I tested it immediatly before packing it to be shipped.  If a button does not work then it is because HE broke it.  I did not offer any warranty, as nobody in their right mind selling a 5 year old electrionic item would.  Buyer immediately opens cas on me for item not as described.  I attempt to contact buyer and no response.  If ebay steals the money out of my account and I recieve a broken item back, or no item at all, then there will be hell to pay for ebay allowing these kind of scams.  I have done research and it appears they are most likely going to side with the buyer, in which case they will be considered a party to fraud.  I have sold over 200 items and have perfect 100% good feedback but recently I was also scammed by a buyer who clained they never received the item I sent even though tracking showed it as delivered.  I will wait and see what happens, I only hope ebay looks at this buyer very closely to see if they have dfrauded any other sellers.

Please use plain text.
abbasdiscount
Community Member

in reply to thenaine

this should of been taken care of in small claims court.  For that much money I certainly would of.  Ebay has a buch of idiots working for them

Please use plain text.
abbasdiscount
Community Member

in reply to thenaine

Well this is a good one.  Sorry it's only for $100 though.  We're comic sellers.   We decide to sell to this guy even though a previous purchase he never paid for the items he purchased. So he puchased his comics over $100 worth.  My son hand picked the comics to make sure everything was there.  We wraped them 3 times in bubble wrap so they wouldn't get damaged.   Buyer gets the items and says there were comics missing and some were damaged.  We wouldn't resolve the problem with him since we knew he was trying to scam us.   I spent he finally opened a case against us after harassing us with 30 messages saying we had commited fraud.   So after he opened the case I immediately contacted the resolution center.  Was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours and the person who answered the phone actually sided with me about the whole thing.  She found in my favorr and he was blocked along with his negative feedbacks saying we had commited fraud.   He emails us saying this isn't over even if he has to do chargeback.  He appeals the case with ebay and 24 hours later they found in his favor and rewarded him with $100 of our money.  They found in his favor because he said he received and empty box.  This is after he had told us that we were missing 3 of the comics.   I'm on the phone with ebay for another 2 hours trying to see what was going on.  They totally ignored his messages to us through ebay claiming we had shorted him 3 comics. I was told he got a signed affidavid which probably means he went to a notaray and told him he recieved and empty box and he initalized it.  Our these people who work on ebay that stupid that they can't read what he said to us?   Ebay you suck big time

Please use plain text.
mindy9616
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
Yes, you are definitely not alone. Corporate needs to do some SERIOUS DAMAGE CONTROL. I do not think these people have any idea just how serious things are. Will they finally fix these glitches? I doubt it. Even if they do, forget about any admission of guilt. I've had 3 of recent stating they JUST wanted to cancel. Since I am no hassle, Another accusing me of sending a used item and I uploaded my receipts. I'm sure I will go down for that one too. Now it appears these are being counted against me. I have had other reasons to speak with CS at great length and have come to realize this is their attitude if you have heard this before. . . Man standing with his foot in a bucket of water. You say why do you have your foot in the bucket? They say what bucket? On and on and on and ONLY if it ends up a huge deal among 100s of people saying YOU HAVE YOUR FOOT IN A BUCKET will they MAYBE say. . . OH, THAT BUCKET. I'm not even sure then will any of them realize the depths of potential damages to them and sellers alike. I am of the impression everything is too out of control and I sure hope it changes, but I'm very worried.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to esell-resell

Well, I'm glad I am not alone in this area.

Sold something for $1200 with insurance, signature delivery via UPS. Received all my money via Paypal. Buyer SIGNED for item, files paypal claim that he didn't receive it.

Sent ebay/paypal copy of UPS signature receipt photo/scan during ongoing case. They find in his favor after their 'investigation' even WITH my proof of delivery SIGNATURE and he gets ALL his money back AND keeps the item???

And reading a lot of these posts, it seems I have yet to meet a SELLER who has WON ONE CASE!  There is NO LOGIC for this AT ALL! 

I belong to a lot of forums in regards to my hobbys, I am meeting more and more people who flat out state, I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS VIA PAYPAL or EBAY ANYMORE. 

On these forums, we do business via money order and check...guess what...we NEVER have a problem - probably because we are all honest people.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to relandguy

tell the truth me too

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to porento175

happens to me all the time too often buyer has never done wrong in ebays eyes

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to esell-resell

I am getting ripped off by an Ebay buyer. He bought my brand new ALO Audio Fit Ear Togo cable ($352.15 is what I paid for it). He gets it via Priority Express and files "not as described". It had pictures , the box it came in and images of it. He shows Ebay a picture of my box and his old chappy cable. Ebay doesn't allow for written communication, just images...so I take pictures of my letters telling them I have never seen this cable he showed them before in life. Ebay writes me telling me that despite having thousands of transactions with them, they would give me 5 extra days to provide evidence. THE VERY NEXT DAY THEY DECIDE DEPT 20 IMAGE THAT HE WINS! Insult and injury. They recover funds from me unilaterally via PayPal bouncing my checking account and he keeps my cable and his money.

Please use plain text.
dejaboos
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

Yep. Same thing here but thank God it wasn't that big of a sale. I still needed my money. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

I just gotta stand up for the buyers here for a change.  I have been sold snake oil a half dozen times in my seven years here.  EBay makes me jump through ten hoops before they let me write a negative feeedback to a seller.  I have to get in touch with the seller,  which is often impossible due to ebays own bylaws.  So cry me a river !  Nobody forced you to sell here,  You want crooks ?  Go to Craigs list. They have boiler room operations running 24/7,  scamming the sellers there or going to the homes of the sellers and terrorizing them.  There is no secrecy there.  I just put up 15 thousand bucks worth of jewelry at the most prestigious auction house in Maine.  I was told they sell nationwide and I would have no trouble getting more than I expected.  I got a grand total of 2600 bucks with an average number of bids being three.  The coin collections I sold went for less than the worth of the spot silver prices.  I had 500 dollar bracelets go for 35 bucks !  I could have done better at a pawn shop.  There was not one **bleep** thing I could do about it.  The reserve prices charged would have made things even worse.  If there is one lesson here,  it is  " There is no gravity,  the whole world sucks ! "  I am convinced the decent folk have to get together and  have community yard sales or organize local auctions.  Neighbors are far less liable to rip you off.

Please use plain text.
go-hifreann-leat
Community Member

in reply to tape_cassettes

Country has nothing to do with it. I guess both are at fault. I sold a Dell tablet to a guy in Texas. He's figured out that if he complains enough he gets to keep the tablet and get a refund so he's whined and cried to eBay refusing to return the tablet. I suspect eBay will force me to refund. Which will mean I'll then close my account. I have 100% positive until this Texas guy. I have had no end of problems with Americans. They always appear to figure out a new scam. 

Please use plain text.