eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

in reply to heathermacd64

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CAN NOT LEAVE    NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS !!!!!!!!!!  EBAY YOU NEED TO CHANGE THIS POLICY , MANY MANY PEOPLE DO NOT SELL ON EBAY BECAUSE OF THIS ONE WAY FEEDBACK POLICY.  

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
Can something been done on the Federal level? EBay is internet theft right? I think they are owned internationally because in my dealings with customer service they barely spoke English and in my last call to them I told them I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and the lady on the phone told me to go ahead they still would be closing my claim and not refunding my $100 on their buyer protection plan.
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
I recently was ripped off for $100 on EBay. EBay sided with the seller, removed my negative comment and closed my case within 5 minutes of me opening it for the buyers protection plan. EBay will back up ripoff sellers so beware. Do not buy electronics from PCRS in South Carolina. Product was defective so I returned it. Seller stated they never got the product back but the post office claimed different. EBay took the seller's verbal claim over the post office. SMH never again
Community Member

in reply to bytebackmontrose

I've been both buyer and seller, but lately while selling things I fnd buyers just using ebay's lax buyer return policy to overturn my "no returns" policy.  One obviously had buyers remorse after buying a piece of jewelry she hoped to pay $200 for, but ended up buying it for $350.  It was perfect, flawwless.  She claimed it was damaged and scratched.  Of course without any proof, and despite pics of a flawless piece, ebay and paypal sided with her. Another purchased a size 9 ring but because it was too big for her (maybe not a size 9) finger, she claimed I misrepresnted the size.  Return approved by ebay, despite my having original sales receipt showing it was a size 9.  And just today (this is the 3rd incident in 2 weeks!) a buyer claims that the perfect peridot cuff she received doesn't have original packaging (which the listing never offered! and oh, by the way, is missing a stone. All stones were there and secure when it was carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and sent Priority Mail.

Funny thing is, this last one seems to only want to communicate outside ebay and is making noises about "how expensive it will be to repair this". I have answered her from ebay telling her to send it back.  When I called ebay to ask what happens if what I get back is not what I sent, their answer was basically "nothing we can do".  Seller protection, my as*.

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
I have bought eBay gift cards paid for item. The next thing I know the item is marked unpaid and the money is not returned to my gift card. This has happened several times with eBay blaming me and refusing to give me my money back. They are crooks.
Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
Buyers on Ebay have no rights, sellers make claims and withhold information, and say **bleep** like the photos are the item description so study them carefully, when the photos are of **bleep** quality. Buyers purchase items in good faith only to realize that there has been a lot of information left out of the item description. Sometimes you buy something only to receive a message saying some bull**bleep** excuse of how it's going to take months to send it out to you. Im tired of this 'not allowed to give negative feedback ' mentality if went to a shop and feel you got bad service then you would rate the business accordingly. Why do Ebay sellers think they can treat customers however they like and avoid negative feedback?
Long term Ebay customer who's had enough.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to esell-resell

The seller's  he ripped me off on some headsets stated that he sent me four and he only sent me one so I'm out of $90 because he put on his label that it was for headsets and it was only 1 I'm fighting back and forth with ebay hoping that I will get this resolved soon wish me luck I will never order anything from ebay again in my life dealing with these Chinese vendors

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

1st scenario - seller claims that I have sen't him fake bulbs (not original, not genuine), after lots of messages where I have proved that bulbs are genuine he opened case, ebay decided in one minute and return him money, of course buyer left me negative feedback. I have reported him. Then I investigate and found another seller that have same problem with same buyer. We have booth reported him and nothing happened.

2nd scenario - seller claims that item is not as described and want's money back. Of course item is exactly as described and fully working. I refuse to refund. I've got negative feedback. Reported him and nothing happend.

3rd scenario - first seller claims that item is not as descrived and wants money back, then he claim that item is broken, wants money back and sends fake pictures (not item that I have sent), then he opens case and claim that he haven't received item at all. This case is still actual, I have replied in case, uploaded tracking information and reported him. But 99% that ebay will decide in buyer's favour, because it's automation computer process. You can't decied in one minute who is right.

PLEASE REMEBER, BUYER ALWAYS WINS ON EBAY AND YOU CAN'T DO NOTHING ABOUT IT, JUST POOR HOPE THAT SOMETHING WILL CHANGE ONE DAY.

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

guess its not just me - i sold two laptop video cards for $760 to someone in canada (i will never sell international again!) The cards came out of a working laptop and were in perfect shape.  Buyer gets the cards and then makes a claim saying that both cards are DOA out of the box.  I tried to help him troubleshoot the issue - but he wouldn't give me any info and wouldn't let me help him.  So i accepted the refund and when i got it - he sent me a very old video card and did not give me back my cards.  My cards were new and were worth over $700 - the card he sent me was old, damaged and worth nothing.  I called ebay and paypal - they put the case on hold for about 3 days and then sided with the buyer.  He kept my video cards and my money and i got nothing but stress and lost over $700 that would have gone to my wife and 6 month daughter.  Not only that but ebay sided with a buyer who has not used ebay in over 6 months and has a feedback of just 20!  I have a great record, i use ebay daily with a score over 490 with no negative feedbacks.  Now i am afraid to sell anything expensive on ebay - how can i protect myself from this again???

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

i've been ripped of several times i the last couple years, the latest one it buy a seller that waited four months the claim that they didn't receive the item. and then when through paypal instead of ebay to complain. paypal refunded then money and ignored the  fact that i provided tracking informations. its not my fault that the tracking ends when it leaves the country.  I paid $40 for insurance and the usps it saying that they won't do anything becuase its been over 90 days.

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

This is my first experience selling on ebay.  I had a few things around my house I wanted to sell to make some extra money as my position of 25 years at my place of employment was eliminated.  I'm posting here mainly to vent because I am so upset right now.  I sold my daughter's flute that she had quit playing.  It had one minor dent and I disclosed that.  This buyer has sent me pictures of a flute with major damage to the body.  That is not the flute I sent.  So reading here it looks as if I have to refund this scum his money and he gets to keep the perfectly good flute that I sent to him.  I literally feel sick right now.  

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to meekamikamika

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

I am going to find another method of selling rather than eBay.  I have used eBay for years and within the last year I have been ripped off as a seller twice so far.  Never have I listed a faulty or not as described item.  One was a perfectly working pre-amp and when the buyer received it, he said it would not turn on....I ended up sending him a "partial refund" in response to his image of a most likely forged repair receipt as it looked like a restaurant tab and the item in no way was broken...Ended up profiting negative, including selling and shipping fees.  Both scenarios of a broken item, or negative money suck, and eBay would have penalized me.  The second time I sold another one of my unused guitars, and the buyer said the "neck" was broken....I'm tired of ebay offering no seller protection, and most of all, the lack of morality in people. It's pathetic and sad.  With eBay seller fees and extremely poor quality of service for sellers combined with a handful of people with no foundational self-respect will continue to lower ebays reputation.  That's my two cents on it.  I know from reading that there are situations much worse than mine, and the scenarios that happen to me really, really, really made me upset.  Hopefully everyone continues to post on how poor the recent experiences have been.  

-Mika

Community Member

in reply to wizard788

ebay has become a cesspole of criminal buyers, I am out after 16 years 

Community Member

in reply to jds7629

Just happened to me! Been on here more than ten years. Item was used for a wedding. Listed as used and minor defects. She waited almost the full month ..listed it defected and wants to return it. I called ebay. I told the lady I didn't accept returns and she should of contacted me sooner. I told her before it comes back I want up close phtos of the item and if it doesn't match mine she is being reported. Then little does she know if she does gauge my fabric or scratch it, I am contacting the police in her town for damage to personal property. See if she ever tries that again. When I was first on ebay and there were not as many protections..even those these protect mostly buyers, I sent out luggage to canada. Teenager laughed at me bounced his check. I called his parents after days of research. Then I warned them I would be calling the mounties, and I sure would have. The package came flying back in my direction! This world is full of untrustworthy people both online and in the real world.

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

What is amazing to me is that this problem is no small thing, experienced by many and all have had NO WORTHWHILE response from eBay customer service. It's apparent that they can't read either.

Community Member

in reply to cavecitypickers1

now is i have screen shots from them ripping me off. still open cases agains eBay. if they fight it, which i hope they do, pictures sent to my local fedral judge. stupid ebay

Community Member

in reply to whitelinen

hi,

this just happened to me as a seller.... i appealed with paypal, the seller kept the item and sent me back a dirty sock in a box, gave a tracking # and reported it item not as described. major fraud!!! please expain what  CFPB is and how i go about this.... i dont want this con artist to win this time. stole the $$ and the item from me and probably several other folks.

Community Member

in reply to massage911727

It may be "working" for you, but it is a totally ridiculous way to do business.  Demanding random people sign your "statements" every time you open and close a package may make "sense" to you, but it is a complete waste of time for most human beings.  

The fact is, Ebay shouldn't be stealing money from sellers, and until they stop these scummy business practices, like A; going into your account and taking money out of it to give third parties without your consent, B: giving money to buyers before they return items, or before items are inspected C: making sellers pay return shipping costs even if seller states otherwise in auction terms D: charging sellers "final value" fees even after Ebay cancels sales and returns buyer's money, and on and on. I and many others, will avoid ebay as much as possible.  They have among the sleaziest business practices of any major corporation in America.  

The best "solution" to unfair business practices by ebay, is to boycott them. 

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell
I was scammed by 6 buyers and counting this Xmas , ppl who bought months ago using the item then saying it was for Xmas as a gift n not as described n wants a refund not an exchange, another buyer owensmar bought a pitcher n filter n paid 7 days late n I didn't open a case then 2 weeks after getting saying it doesn't filter, I gave her 3 return options and she wanted another filter so I had the factory send her a new filter to her address with 2 free filters and the next day she opens a case and says there's now a crack in the pitcher and don't think she wants it anymore she wants a refund, now I'm out over $100 , I'm so sick of eBay , another buyer bought a item I listed as used and she said it wasn't brand new and got a return. We need to get together and not sale for a while or file criminal charges against eBay for allowing theft to take place