eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

in reply to kreativestiles

KARMA IS WORKING..MY SALES HAVE DROPPED BY OVER 75%THIS MONTH ALONE ON E-BAY.I LOOK AT SEVERAL CATERGORIES ON A DAILY BASIS AND I SEE LESS AND LESS PEOPLE MAKING BIDS AND PURCHASES.THAT IS ONE REASON THEY ARE TAKING AWAY SELLER,S TOP RATED STATUS SO THEY CAN KEEP THAT %20 FEE THEY GIVE US BACK MONTHLY SO THEIR PORFOLIO LOOKS LIKE IT IS STILL ON THE UP TREND FINANCIALY.IF ANYONE OUT THERE EVER DOES DECIDE TO START A BUSINESS SIMILAR TO E-BAYS AND WORKS EVENLY WITH BOTH THE BUYER AND SELLER I WOULD DROP MY ACCOUNT IN A HEART BEAT WITH E-BAY.OR,WE CAN ALL HIRE AN ATTORNEY TO START ONE FOR US?

Community Member

in reply to cash0071

Please join the fight. We need your voice.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sellersagainstebay

Community Member

in reply to cash0071
Community Member

in reply to cash0071

Seller's fight back. Enough is enough:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sellersagainstebay

Community Member

in reply to kreativestiles

A federal judge in California has ruled that eBay must face a class action suit alleging that its policies are unfair to sellers and make it easy for dishonest buyers to defraud them.

Courthouse News Service reports that eBay seller and lead plaintiff Maggie Campbell originally filed suit in 2012, complaining that eBay and PayPal (the payment-processing company owned by eBay and required for all eBay transactions) always side with buyers over sellers in any dispute, allowing buyers to keep whatever items they bought and receive a full refund of the purchase price.

Furthermore, Campbell's suit claims, in such instances eBay also keeps the listing and selling fees collected from the sellers.

Community Member

in reply to sebastiansdoghouse

Yes--as long as eBay is making money they could care less about all the small business owners tyring to eek out a small profit on their website.  Their refund policy is a joke--completely skewed 100% in favor of the Buyer and their Feedback policy is an even bigger joke--who ever heard of Feedback that can only be positive--and furthermore who gives such a ridiculous system any creedende. But, they continue to make huge profits.  I can only hope that Karma does its thing and what goes around comes around---how I would love to see them forced to stop their unfair policies

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

WHERE CAN i GET A LIST OF ALL SCAMMER RETURNERS, SO i CAN PUT THEM ON THE ...DO NOT ALLOW TO PURCHASE OR BID... you can put people on a list of not allowed to purchase, but then I guess they will just create a new ID

Community Member

in reply to modernsurf

CAVEAT VENDITOR!!   I too got screwed by a buyer who decided he did not like his vintage stetson hat.  I told him my ads say no refunds and you should resell the hat if you dont like it. He sent pics to ebay with dirt or pepper thrown on the hat. I was forced to refund and had to pay $40 in postage for this scammer to send the hat back to me. I could n ot find one spec of black dirt or whatever on hat. I currently have about 100 vintage stetsons and other collectibles but have ceased operations on ebay and am looking for a new venue to sell my items on. It used to be CAVEAT EMPTOR, BUYER BEWARE, now , and what ebay should change there name to is CAVEAT VENDITOR, SELLER BEWARE

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

I agree 100%. Buyers are more important than sellers.

I just sold an Apple iMac 27" that was in 100% perfect working order.

Buyer is abusive and accuses me of lying and cheating him even before he receives his item because USPS didn't update the tracking number.

Buyer receives item and is very happy with it and leaves postive feedback. Buyer writes a week later saying the unit does not turn on.

Buyer claims he took it to the Apple Store and the unit was defective and that it needs a new motherboard and graphics card. He wants a return.

I ask buyer for evidence that he indeed took it to the Apple Store. He does not respond.

eBay automatically gives him a return label and when I receive his shipment back to me, they will refund his money back.

Buyer has been on eBay for 6 months (with a feedback rating of 16) and has in the past claimed damage on another, similar transaction.

I've been on eBay  since 1999 (with a feedback rating of 515). After 16 years, I am no longer going to sell on eBay. 

Community Member

in reply to cash0071

eBay customer service is useless. The 2 idiots I talked to were in Asia! I had a buyer demand to return pre-owned basketball shorts because she said they had a stain. I uploaded pictures of what was actually shipped and no stains. Then the buyer changed the story to a rip. She uploads a picture which is clearly not what I sent her. I upload the actual picture so she and eBay has it.

I refuse the refund. She opens a case so I call eBay & get two people who can barely speak English. They both kept saying that the buyer's pictures had stains & my pictures don't matter.

What good is taking 100% accurate pictures for the listings, when the buyer can just photoshop some and then send them to eBay. The crook gets to keep the shorts and eBay makes me refund.

All a buyer has to do to get free stuff on eBay is say the item is not as described and then photoshop some pictures. I only said item was used & pre-owned so I have no idea how eBay considers that as not as described.

Not being able to leave negative feedback for this dishonest buyer is just plain stupid. Basically now days every single buyer has 100% positive feedback. Feedback means nothing.

Eventually eBay will go the way of myspace, ubid, etc. Fees to high, dishonest buyers and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with!

Community Member

in reply to goodguy747

I ordered a book from ebay, and it stated delivered, but I never got the book.  This is the first time this has ever happened to me.  I complained to ebay, but they said that they have closed my case because the seller had a tracking number stating delivered.  No package.  No money back...  I lose out $40.  Now I'm affraid to ever oder anything over $15 from ebay.  Regardless if it was delivered, and supposed someone stole it off my steps.  I don't know, but I lost out.  I could have went to the store, and bought the book.  Ebay, should require a signature no matter what price tage the item is.  Eat **bleep** EBAY!

Community Member

in reply to wizard788

as the thousands of people have already pointed out, ebay is a joke. I, as a seller, have been ripped off on more transactions then I can count. Just recently, I was ripped off again. The buyers are very smart and ensure to list the item as 'damaged' so that you as the "seller" must pay for all fees in returning the item. 

So not only are you provided a defective item on return, because the ebay buyer switched the time, you must also pay for the piece of junk to be returned to you. 

Such a joke, I will not be selling here anymore. As mentioned before, ebay is a scam artists paradise. 

Community Member

in reply to wizard788

as the thousands of people have already pointed it, ebay is a joke. I, as a seller, have been ripped off on more transactions then I can count. Just recently, I was ripped off again. The buyers are very smart and ensure to list the item as 'damaged' so that you as the "seller" must pay for all fees in returning the item. 

So not only are you provided a defective item on return, because the ebay buyer switched the time, you must also pay for the piece of junk to be returned to you. 

Such a joke, I will not be selling here anymore. As mentioned before, ebay is a scam artists paradise. 

Community Member

in reply to esell-resell

It's interesting how many people have posted on this thread that are clearly angry long time users of eBay based on their ratings.

You'd think a business like eBay who is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, would pay serious attention when their most loyal customers are complaining about them on their own forum, and complaining who know's where else on the Web and word of mouth.

I posted my bad experience as a seller a few weeks ago, but thought I'd also share my bad experience as a buyer.

Mercifully I've only had to deal with eBay's resolution process 4 times in 10 years. I can say is they are 100% consistent. These "Mindless Muppets". make you so white hot angry giving you cut n paste responses that make eBay look 100% stupid. 

eBay would have to be in the top 10 worst customer complaint handlers on this planet. If you agree with me, press Kudo on this post. See if we can hit 1000 Kudo's. Call it a social experiment. 

Story: As a buyer I didn't receive my item after waiting two weeks. I emailed the seller twice with no response. I then glanced at his rating which was 100% before I bought, but it now had 8 negative feedbacks in a row all with the same feedback. "Item not received". I open up a dispute and detailed this, then emailed eBay direct. 

This seller was either dead, in hospital, on holidays or worst, has had his eBay account hacked. Whatever's happened, blind Freddy could see there is no one at the wheel of this sellers account. But do you think eBay was aware of it. No!

Clearly eBay has no processes in place to monitor accounts that turn bad, which leaves it up to the poor old buyers to waste their time playing detective and doing eBays work for them.

The first response I got from eBay was, yes that good old long long long winded cut n paste message "Try talking to the seller, open a dispute, bla bla bla bla bla." After 5 messages back n forth with eBay HQ and time ticking forward reaching the 4 week mark after my initail purchase I finally got somone to acknowledge the issue and had this sellers account suspended. YAY!

This account was full of (Buy Now's) and the longer it was left trading the more buyers would have been caught up in eBay's evil dispute process.

6 weeks from my initial purchase the seller finally contacted me to report his eBay account had if fact been hacked by an employee he had fired. He had no idea people where purchasing anything from him. He was shocked it took almost 2 months for eBay to suspend his account.

I repeat. eBay would have to be in the top 10 worst customer complaint handlers on this planet.

If you agree with me, press Kudo on this post. See if we can hit 1000 Kudo's, and how fast we do it. Call it a social experiment.

Community Member

in reply to auctionseller109

I've gotten ripped off by many people, twice I bid on something, and they don't me that it didn't get enough so they refunded me, if they refund you, you can't file anything on them, cause they gave the money back, which is B.S. cause they can't get a strike or anything.  Then someone bought a pre-paid phone overseas, and was mad, and said I lied cause it was a pre paid verizon phone, when that's exactly what the listing said, ebay refunded them, but they actually paid him, and didn't make me, but I still got the B.S. negative feedback. 

Then I sold an nes, I replaced the tray and it worked fine, the person lied about not getting it hours after he did, cause I uploaded the tracking after, then said the tray didn't work.  He said he bought it for a friend, and never buys video games, so he didn't know anything about them.  I looked at feedback he left for others, and found many people he done the same thing with, most just refunded him his money and said to keep the game.  I put the part number of the item, said the items he done the same with with others, said all the lies he was caught in, they still sided with him.  I taped myself opening the package and it worked fine, I appealed, they wouldn't give me the money back, and said they don't give shipping back, but they'd make an exception that once. 

Then eBay user sara_kraf bought an untested Xbox 360 game from me, it was untested, I said it was scratched up, when she got it she said it was the worst, most horrible and disfigured game she ever bought on eBay, and wanted refunded the for game.  I asked how it was deformed, the only thing I saw was surface scratches.  I asked her to take pictures of the disc and show me, and tell me what it does when she tried to play it.  Two days later she filed a claim to return the item.  I again asked what was wrong with it, to try and fix the problem, if it was defective, or if it was damaged in the mail.  She replied, it was defective it don't work, give me my money back.  I done the same as the last, she's been claiming that games people tested and worked perfect didn't work, or needed resurfaced, and had them paying her money back, or $5.00 to resurface the games.  I told her if anything it'd need to be resurfaced, and offered to pay, and said she can get it done cause others paid for games that didn't need it, she was mad and just badmouthed me.  I lost and got the game back, took video opening it, and videos playing it, worked fine, but it looked like she tried to scratch deep, and took a knife and stabbed the disc.  It played and loaded, sold it within hours of getting it back, haven't had a problem since.  Ebay wouldn't reverse the decision, nor give shipping back, and argued saying feedback is there opinion, she's been reported 10-15 times, but is still on there, so block her so she doesn't rip you off, or if she had report her. 

Community Member

in reply to mint-strings

eBay is a rip off artists dream . They can do whatever they like and Ebay supports them not the seller.  We recently sold a $299  item. The buyer received it and took it apart and removed our good parts and put their old parts back inside of our carton . Then they claimed our item was defective . Ebay forces us to send a prepaid by us  return label . Once the item was returned we examined it and discovered what the buyer had done . So we called eBay and well and behold again eBay screws the seller .  We are told we have to refund in full. So what this means is that eBay makes money no matter what . They care nothing about sellers . They only care about the buyer . So when a buyer  happens to be a crook and a theif  it is also the buyers heaven. It would seem that eBay management has concluded it is better to screw 100 sellers rathen than to screw one buyer. 

This is the mess that was caused by eBay when they eliminated the Seller out of the feedback system. Sellers can not leave a negative no matter what the buyer does .  Sellers can work hard and bend over backwards for a buyer and still get a negative that is clealry unjustified and eBay almost always sides with the buyer no matter what kind of theif ,liar or crook they are .

Congratualtions eBay   !   Again the seller hets screwed and you make your money anyway !

Community Member

in reply to goodguy747

Me too! Actually many times over the past 3 years for hundreds of dollars! Just resently arthur82 (BEWARE, SCAMMER)  purchased a new cell phone from me and sent back a smashed up locked phone. eBay/Pay Pal gave her back a full refund. F'n **bleep**! She used her mothers name to start an account and her own email address. I tracked her down in OH and emailed the police but have not heard back. Guess they don't know how to use email, it's been 6 weeks. Guess I'd better call. I want to find out if I can press charges. Even if they can go arrest her, that' be enough for me, to scare the **bleep** out of her with theft charges. I'm researching to see if taking a different form of payment would help stop these thieves. Im sick and tired of getting ripped off. I removed all of my high dollar items with the exception of 2 or 3 until I can find a way to protect myxelf/business.

It's hard to believe eBay doesn't give a **bleep**, we make them millions of dollars a year, and they insist on protecting the buyer and screwing the seller. We are not the only ones, I'd bet that more than 1/2 of eBay sellers have had an issue with eBay's selling policies.

Looking for protection solutions, so any others with input, I'd like to hear it. AND IF YOU'VE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR WONDERFUL RELATIONSHIP WITH EBAY!. Sorry had to post that. Last time I posted an issue I received more email about how great eBay is, and now help with my issues.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Christina

Community Member

in reply to randysauctions

randysauctions wrote:

Ebay is digging its own grave.

Tell me about it. 

eBay's fine to deal with until you get a problem.

In my opinion their dispute / resolution service is run by a bunch of mindless muppets, putting it mindly.

They never read your complaint. They simply send you back a long winded generic list of things to do to resolve the problem for which had they spent 2 min reading what you wrote, would see you'd already done all that. On your 2nd attempt to communicate they then suggest other things to do which again had they bothered to check the listing had also been done. Like "Refund the Buyer". Ah, yeah. Happened like 5 days ago, as shown in the listing.

I'm currently a Victim of eBay. I'm being "Held Hostage by the Buyer".

Story:

Overseas buyer takes a Buy Now on my listing, then asks for my item which is a Collectable to be shipped overseas.

Listing offered no overseas options. Yet eBay tells me to ship to this guy regardless. They told me yesterday that if I don't ship, I'm at fault.

HOW. DOES. THAT. WORK??

Anyway, this overseas guy who's own profile says he's based overseas changes address to a local one.

Hello?? How is he supposed to sign for a person to person package if he lives on the other side of the planet? 

Is he using someone with a false ID to sign? and the buyer tells me he does this all the time. 

Anyway tried cancelling sale and buyer refuses. eBay closes dispute and tells me to ship. YEAH RIGHT, "I DON"T THINK SO, DAVEY!"

Downside risks: 

Hmm, most downside for me not shipping? 1 x Neg Feedback.

Most downside for me if I ship? Lose $200 item, lose cost of postage, get neg feedback.

Downside for Buyer and eBay if I choose either, NO FINANCIAL DOWNSIDES! - As Frank Sinatra would say, "I think that's a crooked deal."

I've been using eBay for 10 years. Over 1000 trans. Never had neg feedback. Guess my luck run out thanks to eBay.

What eBay have subjected me to so far, is worthy of comedy script material for Monty Python. 

Makes you wonder does anyone of any level of management at eBay look at these postings? Any Shareholder responsability? Any do diligence?

Isn't someone responsable for inaction in not fixing these loop holes. Business school 101. Keeping improve processes. Act on Customer feedback.

This "You can't cancel a sale" mentality without Buyer/Scammer approval has to change, as does their extremely lazy dispute process.

In hindsight, next time it will be far better to simply be as dishonest as this buyer/scammer and say;

"Sorry can't ship, My Dog ate my homework / I mean item"....  RESULT!

Regards Greg

Community Member

in reply to tnseller777
And good luck on getting anyone that cqan speak english.only when you pay ebay back will they give you a rep. that is in the U.S.
Community Member

in reply to pwyatt09
I know what you are talking about, just had similar situation,sad. I opened a case, when clicked help from ebay, (did not know it would do that, have only had 1 other return in all these years.Buywr didnt respond, ebay told me to call back fri. said was closing case if my favor. couldnt close, someone had closed it and paid them. I am out of item. Beware of buyer l.perr7