cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

We all feel the same way and feel no one is listening to us. Please call this number 1-888-670-2630 #3204823. They want to hear our side of the story so they can do something about it. 

Message 436 of 613
latest reply

No you are not the only one this has happened too. I thought I was alone but call this number 1-888-670-2630 ref 3204823. Something has to be done and we need all the people to participate. They want to hear our story. It's very unfair. 

Message 437 of 613
latest reply

We all need to take action. These attorneys need everyone to call 1-888-670-2630 #3204823. They need us to tell them our story. Take the time to call and speak with them about Buyers always right.

Message 438 of 613
latest reply

GOT RIPPIED OFF BY ANOTHER BUYER IN CANADA  USING A FALSE ADDRESS IN USA KY ADDRESS THEN HAVING ANDOTHER ADDRESS AND THEY SAY PLEASE SEND TO THE USA ADDRESS WITHCH IS ON THEIR PAY PAL THEN TELLING EBAY THEY NEVER GOT THEIR ITEM WITCH NEVER CAME TO CANADA WAITING THE LAST MINITIE  EBAY SAYS THEY WIN YOPU HAVE KNOW TRACKING BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT SEND TRACKING TO KY ADDRESS NO ONE THEIR TO SIGN   I GIVE UP GIVES US ANOTHER WAY OUT HERE  OH I HAVE 7000 RATING THEY HAD 89

Message 439 of 613
latest reply

I had a buyer purchase a huge lot of vintage Jem dolls and accessories. I put thousands into the collection. I sold it to her for $600 and free shipping (I paid over $60 for shipping as it was a heavy box.) as I had post back surgery bills due ASAP and I had to sell at a loss, but oh well. She received the items and claimed they were "gross" and not as described. The dolls are actually sold exactly as I described in my very detailed description. The dolls were mostly in good *vintage* condtion, with some needing TLC. Pretty clear IMO that these dolls aren't being sold as excellent or mint. I don't accept returns, but I was very accommodating and didn't want her to be unhappy so I paid for her to return. She then admits to me that she didn't want to return but he husband was upset about the price. So that's pretty much buyers remorse, but I let it slide. She kept trying to convince me the dolls were in poor condition, but I am a collector and know better. Once I get the stuff back, one doll is missing a hard to find earring but I don't say anything. She keeps trying to convince me they were all gross and poor condition, and that she would like to offer me $400 for it all. Uh, no. Look up th value of vintage Jem lots. Mine was very large. She kept trying to convince me and I politely declined. In response she leaves me bad feedback, putting a black mark on my 100% positive selling feedback. I reported her several times to eBay for violations such as buyers remorse, and unreasonable demands. eBay of course does nothing. If I had decided to sell them to her for $400, I would have been out $200 in partial refunds, $120 in back and forth shipping, and thousands of dollars worth of merch. I did some research and she has a history of this judging from her feedback. She was trying to rip me off for a better deal. She knew darn well the items were as described. eBay does not care.
Message 440 of 613
latest reply

Message 441 of 613
latest reply

I am actually recommending Etsy these days. The fees aren't as ludicrous and rarely have I encountered a scammer.
Message 442 of 613
latest reply

Oh man. I have another rip off story. I was selling a large lot of Monster High dolls and accessories, which is a hot commodity on eBay. I got a sob story from someone in Thailand saying her daughters are just dying for this stuff but they don't have a whole lot of money, and this stuff is difficult to find in Thailand. She wanted to buy it now and go outside of the global shipping program. I was a sucker and fell hard for the story. I went ahead and sold the lot for $250, and gave her an invoice for shipping of about $76. My husband took it to the PO and it was shipped. About 2 weeks later she says they hadn't received it. tracking number didn't work once it left the US. I told her it may be held up in customs, and also since she was across the globe, it may take as much as almost 2 months for it to get there. Well, she wasn't happy with this and threatened negative feedback if I didn't give her a full refund (including shipping.). I didn't know what to do so I told her since it was taking "so long" I would refund her the item's cost but not the shipping, and once the item arrived, I would send her a new invoice to repay. She seeme happy with this arrangement. I was new to selling and so naive I kick myself now. Tracking finally shows that it was delivered, so I sent her the invoice and I never hear from her again, until she filed a claim for a refund on the shipping as well, since the item took so long to arrive. I had no idea what to do and eBay went ahead and refunded her. I messaged her dozens of times and no response. Called eBay and they were useless and no help. They even called me an idiot in a roundabout way, which is totally professional. So I was out merch, and every penny on the transaction. I will never sell outside of the US again, especially going around the global shipping program...
Message 443 of 613
latest reply

Message 444 of 613
latest reply

Message 445 of 613
latest reply

Add me to the list of occasional sellers screwed over by eBay's Money Back Guarantee.  Buyer (marco-cary, if you're interested) totally lied about receiving the wrong item & even sent the same item back to me - At my expense AND cost, despite my no return policy & offer of a partial refund.  The customer service of the Appeals team is awful - I had 4 different answers between 4 different customer services reps.  I actually got one to admit that they "always side with the buyer if they select a valid reason".  Fortunately, I made them give all of the phone conversation IDs of all my conversations - I can see them being useful in a class action suit one day.

eBay's new marketing campaign:  Now offering free returns (at the seller's expense) on every item!  Just claim you were sent the wrong thing.

What a joke.  Etsy, here I come.

Message 446 of 613
latest reply

So sorry to hear that this has happened to you as well. Happened to me a few months back, and it was enough to make me so fed up that I had closed my store.  Pretty much the same scenario: Buyer claimed that I sent him a wrong item, shows a pic. of a completely different item than what I had shipped to him, files and claim and wins!!  And, I too, was forced to pay return shipping and he sent back a completely different item than what was actually shipped to him. Oh...and he had the nerve to leave me a negative feedback.

Sadly, this seems to be happening more and more on eBay. NO SELLER PROTECTION!!  People are being ripped off of 100's, even 1000's of dollars sometimes.

The eBay BUYER PROTECTION FEATURE is in my opinion, a Shout Out To All Buyers To Come Rip Off The Seller!!  Not that all buyers are like this. However, from what I read, it seems to be a growing trend. I would NOT sell high priced items on ebay anymore.

Message 447 of 613
latest reply

I will NEVER EVER buy on ebay again. I hate to say this about your situation but reading other people get screwed over makes me feel a little at ease aboit my own. And yeah ebays policy isnt to protect the buy at all. Knowing that this stupid ass seller just gets away with my money.... **bleep** me off.
Message 448 of 613
latest reply

Add me to the list! I just got so totally screwed by ebay and sin-y7xup. After weeks of non-payment, the buyer finally paid me. I sent a working ipad with the cord and charger and got the ipad back without the cord and charger. I filed 3 reports about the buyer on ebay. I called 3 times. I explained that official Apple cord and charger for this older model of ipad would cost $38 and that I would offer a partial refund unless all items were returned. There were messages between the buyer and myself stating that he had tried to charge the ipad but could not. I know that is simply untrue.  But it proves that he had the cord and charger!

Ebay issued him a full refund and even though I sent everyone photos of the return package which DID NOT contain cord and charger, ebay said they couldn't prove that the buyer hadn't sent them.

There is no doubt in my mind that this buyer wanted official ipad 2 cord and charger and now obtained both for nothing. I tried to leave negative feedback but that isn't allowed.

I'm so angry and frustrated and have no recourse whatsoever. Is there any way to fight this kind of buyer abuse?

Message 449 of 613
latest reply

I sold a ring to a buyer . Duly sent the ring and . I was told by the buyer he had not recieved the ring . Not only had I sent the ring free postage as well.

The customer lived in a small block of flats only 6 flats in the building . I asked him to ask all the other flat owners if they had his mail by mistake . He came back to me saying he had asked everyone in the building and no-one had seen the parcel. I then asked him to ask the postman he again came back to me saying he had asked the postman but the postman had told him he had not delivered such an item .

None of this did I believe . Why you may ask well first of all 3 days later the buyers girl friend was seen to be wearing the actual ring by a person I trusted more than anyone in the world . I also beieved the postman as I knew I could trust him more than anyone I know .

You may ask why I would trust the people who told me first he had the parcel delivered to him as the postman was actually my own brother . How did I know the customers girl friend was wearing the ring well the person who told me so actually had a flat in the same building and guess what she was my sister .

Plus my sister took a picture of the girl wearing the ring and sent it to me .

I informed  ebay of the above facts but guess what they still repaid the buyer via my paypal account , When I complained  what do you think happened my account was  put below standard and within a couple of weeks I was removed as a seller for life .

I complained and complained again and again and again only to be told they would investigate and so sorry then still told me because I was below standard as a seller i could not be re-enstated as a seller . Beat that one

Message 450 of 613
latest reply