cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

i know alot of it has to do with "honesty" and ppl nowadays have none. so i dont blame you for being mad. but i can attest to this actually happening, since it is happening to me these past few days. I was waiting for a package the one day it said it wa sout for delivery. I was excited since i t was my first time buying somethign off ebay and i bought 2 different ps4 games.  i watched tv and check online the tracking number ever 30 minutes. it said it was delivered at 5:37pm, i was down at the mailbox at 5:47pm and my two packages were not there.  i contacted the PO who said it had been delivered or stolen, and i got very **bleep** considerin i checked it only 10 minutes after it was delivered, AND there are only 2 ppl in this apt building, noone stole it. the next day i called and went down to the post office and started raising some hell. i waiting, at my mailbox in the lobby, sitting on a chair for 3 1/2 hours untill the mailman came so i could ask him abotu the package, where he would have put it. and he doesnt remember much about it, but he says he would have laid it on the floor.  so i keep giving the po hell, and they open a case into it.  my problem is, what is to say the mailman didnt scan it delivered, then just take it home with him??? there is NO accountablility for the po and ur just screwed out of money. Being how upset i have been the last few days, ive told the PO that i WILL be filing a police report within a week of my package not being delivered, AND i will be putting a camera at the mailboxes this next week. and after i have that camera. i dotn care if the mailman delivered it to the wrong mailbox, IF I DONT HAVE IT, i WILL be filing a police report right away and claiming the mailman stole it. and i would have video proof he didnt deliver it. i am holding the mailman responsible since the PO never does.  h deliveres it to the wrong house, just GIVES it to someone else and im screwed out of all my money, that is rediculous. and just fyi, EVEN IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE, if the package says delivered. you CAN NOT file a claim you will still lose your money. well ive had enough of it, i WILL be putting a video camera down there this next week and i will be filing theft charges on the mailman if i EVER lose any of my mail, this is rediculous and i wont stand for it. but moral of the story is, it does happen, the PO DOES mess up and eventhough it says delivered, it really didnt get to the customer.

Message 406 of 613
latest reply

I was scammed by 6 buyers and counting this Xmas , ppl who bought months ago using the item then saying it was for Xmas as a gift n not as described n wants a refund not an exchange, another buyer owensmar bought a pitcher n filter n paid 7 days late n I didn't open a case then 2 weeks after getting saying it doesn't filter, I gave her 3 return options and she wanted another filter so I had the factory send her a new filter to her address with 2 free filters and the next day she opens a case and says there's now a crack in the pitcher and don't think she wants it anymore she wants a refund, now I'm out over $100 , I'm so sick of eBay , another buyer bought a item I listed as used and she said it wasn't brand new and got a return. We need to get together and not sale for a while or file criminal charges against eBay for allowing theft to take place
Message 407 of 613
latest reply

It may be "working" for you, but it is a totally ridiculous way to do business.  Demanding random people sign your "statements" every time you open and close a package may make "sense" to you, but it is a complete waste of time for most human beings.  

The fact is, Ebay shouldn't be stealing money from sellers, and until they stop these scummy business practices, like A; going into your account and taking money out of it to give third parties without your consent, B: giving money to buyers before they return items, or before items are inspected C: making sellers pay return shipping costs even if seller states otherwise in auction terms 😧 charging sellers "final value" fees even after Ebay cancels sales and returns buyer's money, and on and on. I and many others, will avoid ebay as much as possible.  They have among the sleaziest business practices of any major corporation in America.  

The best "solution" to unfair business practices by ebay, is to boycott them. 

Message 408 of 613
latest reply

hi,

this just happened to me as a seller.... i appealed with paypal, the seller kept the item and sent me back a dirty sock in a box, gave a tracking # and reported it item not as described. major fraud!!! please expain what  CFPB is and how i go about this.... i dont want this con artist to win this time. stole the $$ and the item from me and probably several other folks.

Message 409 of 613
latest reply

now is i have screen shots from them ripping me off. still open cases agains eBay. if they fight it, which i hope they do, pictures sent to my local fedral judge. stupid ebay

Message 410 of 613
latest reply

What is amazing to me is that this problem is no small thing, experienced by many and all have had NO WORTHWHILE response from eBay customer service. It's apparent that they can't read either.

Message 411 of 613
latest reply

Just happened to me! Been on here more than ten years. Item was used for a wedding. Listed as used and minor defects. She waited almost the full month ..listed it defected and wants to return it. I called ebay. I told the lady I didn't accept returns and she should of contacted me sooner. I told her before it comes back I want up close phtos of the item and if it doesn't match mine she is being reported. Then little does she know if she does gauge my fabric or scratch it, I am contacting the police in her town for damage to personal property. See if she ever tries that again. When I was first on ebay and there were not as many protections..even those these protect mostly buyers, I sent out luggage to canada. Teenager laughed at me bounced his check. I called his parents after days of research. Then I warned them I would be calling the mounties, and I sure would have. The package came flying back in my direction! This world is full of untrustworthy people both online and in the real world.

Message 412 of 613
latest reply

ebay has become a cesspole of criminal buyers, I am out after 16 years 

Message 413 of 613
latest reply

I am going to find another method of selling rather than eBay.  I have used eBay for years and within the last year I have been ripped off as a seller twice so far.  Never have I listed a faulty or not as described item.  One was a perfectly working pre-amp and when the buyer received it, he said it would not turn on....I ended up sending him a "partial refund" in response to his image of a most likely forged repair receipt as it looked like a restaurant tab and the item in no way was broken...Ended up profiting negative, including selling and shipping fees.  Both scenarios of a broken item, or negative money suck, and eBay would have penalized me.  The second time I sold another one of my unused guitars, and the buyer said the "neck" was broken....I'm tired of ebay offering no seller protection, and most of all, the lack of morality in people. It's pathetic and sad.  With eBay seller fees and extremely poor quality of service for sellers combined with a handful of people with no foundational self-respect will continue to lower ebays reputation.  That's my two cents on it.  I know from reading that there are situations much worse than mine, and the scenarios that happen to me really, really, really made me upset.  Hopefully everyone continues to post on how poor the recent experiences have been.  

-Mika

Message 414 of 613
latest reply

Message 415 of 613
latest reply

This is my first experience selling on ebay.  I had a few things around my house I wanted to sell to make some extra money as my position of 25 years at my place of employment was eliminated.  I'm posting here mainly to vent because I am so upset right now.  I sold my daughter's flute that she had quit playing.  It had one minor dent and I disclosed that.  This buyer has sent me pictures of a flute with major damage to the body.  That is not the flute I sent.  So reading here it looks as if I have to refund this scum his money and he gets to keep the perfectly good flute that I sent to him.  I literally feel sick right now.  

Message 416 of 613
latest reply

i've been ripped of several times i the last couple years, the latest one it buy a seller that waited four months the claim that they didn't receive the item. and then when through paypal instead of ebay to complain. paypal refunded then money and ignored the  fact that i provided tracking informations. its not my fault that the tracking ends when it leaves the country.  I paid $40 for insurance and the usps it saying that they won't do anything becuase its been over 90 days.

Message 417 of 613
latest reply

guess its not just me - i sold two laptop video cards for $760 to someone in canada (i will never sell international again!) The cards came out of a working laptop and were in perfect shape.  Buyer gets the cards and then makes a claim saying that both cards are DOA out of the box.  I tried to help him troubleshoot the issue - but he wouldn't give me any info and wouldn't let me help him.  So i accepted the refund and when i got it - he sent me a very old video card and did not give me back my cards.  My cards were new and were worth over $700 - the card he sent me was old, damaged and worth nothing.  I called ebay and paypal - they put the case on hold for about 3 days and then sided with the buyer.  He kept my video cards and my money and i got nothing but stress and lost over $700 that would have gone to my wife and 6 month daughter.  Not only that but ebay sided with a buyer who has not used ebay in over 6 months and has a feedback of just 20!  I have a great record, i use ebay daily with a score over 490 with no negative feedbacks.  Now i am afraid to sell anything expensive on ebay - how can i protect myself from this again???

Message 418 of 613
latest reply

1st scenario - seller claims that I have sen't him fake bulbs (not original, not genuine), after lots of messages where I have proved that bulbs are genuine he opened case, ebay decided in one minute and return him money, of course buyer left me negative feedback. I have reported him. Then I investigate and found another seller that have same problem with same buyer. We have booth reported him and nothing happened.

2nd scenario - seller claims that item is not as described and want's money back. Of course item is exactly as described and fully working. I refuse to refund. I've got negative feedback. Reported him and nothing happend.

3rd scenario - first seller claims that item is not as descrived and wants money back, then he claim that item is broken, wants money back and sends fake pictures (not item that I have sent), then he opens case and claim that he haven't received item at all. This case is still actual, I have replied in case, uploaded tracking information and reported him. But 99% that ebay will decide in buyer's favour, because it's automation computer process. You can't decied in one minute who is right.

PLEASE REMEBER, BUYER ALWAYS WINS ON EBAY AND YOU CAN'T DO NOTHING ABOUT IT, JUST POOR HOPE THAT SOMETHING WILL CHANGE ONE DAY.

Message 419 of 613
latest reply

The seller's  he ripped me off on some headsets stated that he sent me four and he only sent me one so I'm out of $90 because he put on his label that it was for headsets and it was only 1 I'm fighting back and forth with ebay hoping that I will get this resolved soon wish me luck I will never order anything from ebay again in my life dealing with these Chinese vendors

Message 420 of 613
latest reply