cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

I just went thru an issue with a buyer where he purchased a digital code.

He Admitted it worked just fine, then claimed a "Item not as described" claim a few hours later.

You would think Ebay would use his own words against him as he admits via message to me he used it and it worked just fine...

But no... Sellers are the bad guys each in every time with Ebay... It's ridicolous...

Message 391 of 613
latest reply

If you have multiple items, a lot wait for an item to finish, then contact you via another item and make a real low ball offer. Usually 50% or even 25% of your asking price. It seems to be getting more and more this way.

Message 392 of 613
latest reply

File a complaint with your states attorney general . Talking to Ebay's south east Asian call center istotally pointless. 

Message 393 of 613
latest reply

Very true.ive seen it a few time...a buyer admits he likes item leaves positive feedback and then files a case and wins...lol..ebay is a joke
Message 394 of 613
latest reply

The biggest one for me is people wanting partial refunds. I sell allot of used records and condition is open to interpretation sometimes so it makes it hard to proove they are wrong. A record with one light scratch that does not affect play they will say it drops the record from excellent condition to very good but most people are honest and don't make a big deal about it because theyare not fishing for partial refunds.

These people are easy to spot because they do not want to return the item but insist on a partial refund even though they say it is destroyed they still want it...

Message 395 of 613
latest reply

I have absolutely had enough of being ripped off by buyers on ebay. Sellers have no protection. i will not be selling again.

Message 396 of 613
latest reply

So sick of eBay not protecting sellers too. Just got ripped off by a  buyer for $600. The buyer bought a brand new camera, broke it and filed a return claim. Ebay said there's nothing I can do but eat it. Lesson learned. Sell at your own risk.

Message 397 of 613
latest reply

File a complaint with the CFPB and your local small claims court. Claim unfair business practices and authorized  by deception theft of your Paypal checking account. Tell your story and take it from there.

Message 398 of 613
latest reply

Ebay should past a disclosure on BUYER'S PROTECTION PLAN, YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK NO MATTER WHAT !........ If you claim not as described, even if it is a lie, or even if you decide to commit a fraud upon the seller, it is OK with Ebay, we will just take the money from the seller's account ! EVEN IF YOU DAMAGE THE ITEM YOURSELF, OR DECIDE TO JUST USE THE ITEM FOR A WEEK OR TWO , IT IS PERFECTLY OK, AS LONG AS YOU CLAIM NOT AS DESCRIBED OR DAMAGED! DON'T WORRY, NO PROOF UPON YOUR PART WILL BE REQUIRED. WE HAVE CONTROL OF THE SELLERS PAYPAL ACCOUNT, AND WE WILL GLADLY ISSUE YOU A REFUND ON BEHALF OF THE UNSUSPECTING SELLER.
Message 399 of 613
latest reply

Message 400 of 613
latest reply

I agree! I've had several issues with buyers especially here in the last couple weeks...3 people right in a row. People have figured out how to scam the sellers and so has ebay! I've had enough!! I am delivering something tomorrow to post office. I'm going to record me packaging it in post office and giving it to them and me leaving 🙂
Message 401 of 613
latest reply

I just got ripped today ,   ripped me off

I sold a Nabi dream tab (200.00)    the buyer gets it and  7 days later says not as described missing items , me as a seller please return it for a full refund , we I didnthave to say anything Ebay had me pay fo return shipping , I was like **bleep**!! oh well give me my it back . So she waits the full 14 days to retun it , and when I recieve it it was  just a yellow envolope with a cigar magazine in it , no box nothing . so I appealled the case Ebay says to bad you recieved the item . I am out 225.00  

so I started digging and found its a doctor in NY 

So please call them if you went to yell at a ripp of buyer , they even have reports of doing it to other selles and ebay does not care , i have been harrassing them 20 times a day and they are **bleep**

Message 402 of 613
latest reply

I I got ripped off today by for 580 so they got a brand new sealed galaxy note 5 tmobile I received the item said because he couldn't get insurance on the iPhone through tmobile and said that the item was opened with the item never was open you can see in my list and paste pictures said he wanted a partial refund of $100 I told him no he can send the item back and I give him a full refund buyer opened a return request sent the item back when I open the box the only thing was there was the cell phone box charger headphones a towel and some newspapers in the box called ebay told them of the situation they told me there was nothing I can do but refund the buyer his money they said even if I had open the box in the post office I still would have to give the buyer his money back I told them I had the army number of the item and I can get proof that the bar is used in the item still told me told me there's nothing they can do I would have to get with my local law enforcement or something to try and get take actions against the buyer which is ridiculous like is totally ridiculous and now a lot of people have learned how to do this so I'm really thinking I'm going to be fed up with ebay because I can't bite 500 and $600 losses

Message 403 of 613
latest reply

Thats amazing ebay is becoming a greedy company that does not protect its sellers, when its them that are providing goods to the public. Without sellers where would they be? And threre are a ton of counterfeits on ebay.
Message 404 of 613
latest reply

I found a great way to sell items. ..its an app called WALLOP " its the best you deal w locals or international way better and the accept PayPal. It shows you a map of where the person lives. Its amazing. Good luck to all of you.. boycott ebay about protecting buyers. This is an auction house not Macys dept store and even they dont go that far.
Message 405 of 613
latest reply