cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

I sure know that feeling a man bought from me put in a claim got his money back and still has my item. i cant claim an insurance loss due to his not cooperating and letting ups inspect the item. to many scammers out there. the saddest part is ebay has given them a legal easy way to rip you off. what a joke i will never buy or sell on ebay agian.

Message 361 of 613
latest reply

I totally agree as seller who has experienced rip off from eBay scammers!! Total protection for scammer buyers nothing for sellers.
Message 362 of 613
latest reply

I will canceled my account with ebay to,
Message 363 of 613
latest reply

Ebay encourage buyers like this.
Message 364 of 613
latest reply

Everybody on eBay beware of this buyer

bought a pair of new shoes that were sent to her directly from the store and filed a complaint that they were used and disgusting she even posted pictures of old shoes she's already had in place of the new ones & eBay said TAKE THEM BACK! If she sends back used disgusting shoes call us again and we'll take care of it? Why will you take care of it then but not now? Call us again and let us know what she send back, "how do I prove she sent back my shoes worn" send us pictures he replies, why are the pictures on my listing not good enough but they will be when she returns them? I do not know. 

Message 365 of 613
latest reply

I know what you are talking about, just had similar situation,sad. I opened a case, when clicked help from ebay, (did not know it would do that, have only had 1 other return in all these years.Buywr didnt respond, ebay told me to call back fri. said was closing case if my favor. couldnt close, someone had closed it and paid them. I am out of item. Beware of buyer l.perr7
Message 366 of 613
latest reply

And good luck on getting anyone that cqan speak english.only when you pay ebay back will they give you a rep. that is in the U.S.
Message 367 of 613
latest reply

@randysauctions wrote:

Ebay is digging its own grave.

Tell me about it. 

eBay's fine to deal with until you get a problem.

In my opinion their dispute / resolution service is run by a bunch of mindless muppets, putting it mindly.

They never read your complaint. They simply send you back a long winded generic list of things to do to resolve the problem for which had they spent 2 min reading what you wrote, would see you'd already done all that. On your 2nd attempt to communicate they then suggest other things to do which again had they bothered to check the listing had also been done. Like "Refund the Buyer". Ah, yeah. Happened like 5 days ago, as shown in the listing.

I'm currently a Victim of eBay. I'm being "Held Hostage by the Buyer".

Story:

Overseas buyer takes a Buy Now on my listing, then asks for my item which is a Collectable to be shipped overseas.

Listing offered no overseas options. Yet eBay tells me to ship to this guy regardless. They told me yesterday that if I don't ship, I'm at fault.

HOW. DOES. THAT. WORK??

Anyway, this overseas guy who's own profile says he's based overseas changes address to a local one.

Hello?? How is he supposed to sign for a person to person package if he lives on the other side of the planet? 

Is he using someone with a false ID to sign? and the buyer tells me he does this all the time. 

Anyway tried cancelling sale and buyer refuses. eBay closes dispute and tells me to ship. YEAH RIGHT, "I DON"T THINK SO, DAVEY!"

Downside risks: 

Hmm, most downside for me not shipping? 1 x Neg Feedback.

Most downside for me if I ship? Lose $200 item, lose cost of postage, get neg feedback.

Downside for Buyer and eBay if I choose either, NO FINANCIAL DOWNSIDES! - As Frank Sinatra would say, "I think that's a crooked deal."

I've been using eBay for 10 years. Over 1000 trans. Never had neg feedback. Guess my luck run out thanks to eBay.

What eBay have subjected me to so far, is worthy of comedy script material for Monty Python. 

Makes you wonder does anyone of any level of management at eBay look at these postings? Any Shareholder responsability? Any do diligence?

Isn't someone responsable for inaction in not fixing these loop holes. Business school 101. Keeping improve processes. Act on Customer feedback.

This "You can't cancel a sale" mentality without Buyer/Scammer approval has to change, as does their extremely lazy dispute process.

In hindsight, next time it will be far better to simply be as dishonest as this buyer/scammer and say;

"Sorry can't ship, My Dog ate my homework / I mean item"....  RESULT!

Regards Greg

Message 368 of 613
latest reply

Me too! Actually many times over the past 3 years for hundreds of dollars! Just resently purchased a new cell phone from me and sent back a smashed up locked phone. eBay/Pay Pal gave her back a full refund. She used her mothers name to start an account and her own email address. I tracked her down in OH and emailed the police but have not heard back. Guess they don't know how to use email, it's been 6 weeks. Guess I'd better call. I want to find out if I can press charges. Even if they can go arrest her, that' be enough for me, to scare  her with theft charges. I'm researching to see if taking a different form of payment would help stop these thieves. Im sick and tired of getting ripped off. I removed all of my high dollar items with the exception of 2 or 3 until I can find a way to protect myxelf/business.

It's hard to believe eBay doesn't give a **bleep**, we make them millions of dollars a year, and they insist on protecting the buyer and screwing the seller. We are not the only ones, I'd bet that more than 1/2 of eBay sellers have had an issue with eBay's selling policies.

Looking for protection solutions, so any others with input, I'd like to hear it. AND IF YOU'VE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR WONDERFUL RELATIONSHIP WITH EBAY!. Sorry had to post that. Last time I posted an issue I received more email about how great eBay is, and now help with my issues.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Christina

Message 369 of 613
latest reply

eBay is a rip off artists dream . They can do whatever they like and Ebay supports them not the seller.  We recently sold a $299  item. The buyer received it and took it apart and removed our good parts and put their old parts back inside of our carton . Then they claimed our item was defective . Ebay forces us to send a prepaid by us  return label . Once the item was returned we examined it and discovered what the buyer had done . So we called eBay and well and behold again eBay screws the seller .  We are told we have to refund in full. So what this means is that eBay makes money no matter what . They care nothing about sellers . They only care about the buyer . So when a buyer  happens to be a crook and a theif  it is also the buyers heaven. It would seem that eBay management has concluded it is better to screw 100 sellers rathen than to screw one buyer. 

This is the mess that was caused by eBay when they eliminated the Seller out of the feedback system. Sellers can not leave a negative no matter what the buyer does .  Sellers can work hard and bend over backwards for a buyer and still get a negative that is clealry unjustified and eBay almost always sides with the buyer no matter what kind of theif ,liar or crook they are .

Congratualtions eBay   !   Again the seller hets screwed and you make your money anyway !

Message 370 of 613
latest reply

I've gotten ripped off by many people, twice I bid on something, and they don't me that it didn't get enough so they refunded me, if they refund you, you can't file anything on them, cause they gave the money back, which is B.S. cause they can't get a strike or anything.  Then someone bought a pre-paid phone overseas, and was mad, and said I lied cause it was a pre paid verizon phone, when that's exactly what the listing said, ebay refunded them, but they actually paid him, and didn't make me, but I still got the B.S. negative feedback. 

Then I sold an nes, I replaced the tray and it worked fine, the person lied about not getting it hours after he did, cause I uploaded the tracking after, then said the tray didn't work.  He said he bought it for a friend, and never buys video games, so he didn't know anything about them.  I looked at feedback he left for others, and found many people he done the same thing with, most just refunded him his money and said to keep the game.  I put the part number of the item, said the items he done the same with with others, said all the lies he was caught in, they still sided with him.  I taped myself opening the package and it worked fine, I appealed, they wouldn't give me the money back, and said they don't give shipping back, but they'd make an exception that once. 

Then eBay user bought an untested Xbox 360 game from me, it was untested, I said it was scratched up, when she got it she said it was the worst, most horrible and disfigured game she ever bought on eBay, and wanted refunded the for game.  I asked how it was deformed, the only thing I saw was surface scratches.  I asked her to take pictures of the disc and show me, and tell me what it does when she tried to play it.  Two days later she filed a claim to return the item.  I again asked what was wrong with it, to try and fix the problem, if it was defective, or if it was damaged in the mail.  She replied, it was defective it don't work, give me my money back.  I done the same as the last, she's been claiming that games people tested and worked perfect didn't work, or needed resurfaced, and had them paying her money back, or $5.00 to resurface the games.  I told her if anything it'd need to be resurfaced, and offered to pay, and said she can get it done cause others paid for games that didn't need it, she was mad and just badmouthed me.  I lost and got the game back, took video opening it, and videos playing it, worked fine, but it looked like she tried to scratch deep, and took a knife and stabbed the disc.  It played and loaded, sold it within hours of getting it back, haven't had a problem since.  Ebay wouldn't reverse the decision, nor give shipping back, and argued saying feedback is there opinion, she's been reported 10-15 times, but is still on there, so block her so she doesn't rip you off, or if she had report her. 

Message 371 of 613
latest reply

It's interesting how many people have posted on this thread that are clearly angry long time users of eBay based on their ratings.

You'd think a business like eBay who is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, would pay serious attention when their most loyal customers are complaining about them on their own forum, and complaining who know's where else on the Web and word of mouth.

I posted my bad experience as a seller a few weeks ago, but thought I'd also share my bad experience as a buyer.

Mercifully I've only had to deal with eBay's resolution process 4 times in 10 years. I can say is they are 100% consistent. These "Mindless Muppets". make you so white hot angry giving you cut n paste responses that make eBay look 100% stupid. 

eBay would have to be in the top 10 worst customer complaint handlers on this planet. If you agree with me, press Kudo on this post. See if we can hit 1000 Kudo's. Call it a social experiment. 

Story: As a buyer I didn't receive my item after waiting two weeks. I emailed the seller twice with no response. I then glanced at his rating which was 100% before I bought, but it now had 8 negative feedbacks in a row all with the same feedback. "Item not received". I open up a dispute and detailed this, then emailed eBay direct. 

This seller was either dead, in hospital, on holidays or worst, has had his eBay account hacked. Whatever's happened, blind Freddy could see there is no one at the wheel of this sellers account. But do you think eBay was aware of it. No!

Clearly eBay has no processes in place to monitor accounts that turn bad, which leaves it up to the poor old buyers to waste their time playing detective and doing eBays work for them.

The first response I got from eBay was, yes that good old long long long winded cut n paste message "Try talking to the seller, open a dispute, bla bla bla bla bla." After 5 messages back n forth with eBay HQ and time ticking forward reaching the 4 week mark after my initail purchase I finally got somone to acknowledge the issue and had this sellers account suspended. YAY!

This account was full of (Buy Now's) and the longer it was left trading the more buyers would have been caught up in eBay's evil dispute process.

6 weeks from my initial purchase the seller finally contacted me to report his eBay account had if fact been hacked by an employee he had fired. He had no idea people where purchasing anything from him. He was shocked it took almost 2 months for eBay to suspend his account.

I repeat. eBay would have to be in the top 10 worst customer complaint handlers on this planet.

If you agree with me, press Kudo on this post. See if we can hit 1000 Kudo's, and how fast we do it. Call it a social experiment.

Message 372 of 613
latest reply

as the thousands of people have already pointed it, ebay is a joke. I, as a seller, have been ripped off on more transactions then I can count. Just recently, I was ripped off again. The buyers are very smart and ensure to list the item as 'damaged' so that you as the "seller" must pay for all fees in returning the item. 

So not only are you provided a defective item on return, because the ebay buyer switched the time, you must also pay for the piece of junk to be returned to you. 

Such a joke, I will not be selling here anymore. As mentioned before, ebay is a scam artists paradise. 

Message 373 of 613
latest reply

as the thousands of people have already pointed out, ebay is a joke. I, as a seller, have been ripped off on more transactions then I can count. Just recently, I was ripped off again. The buyers are very smart and ensure to list the item as 'damaged' so that you as the "seller" must pay for all fees in returning the item. 

So not only are you provided a defective item on return, because the ebay buyer switched the time, you must also pay for the piece of junk to be returned to you. 

Such a joke, I will not be selling here anymore. As mentioned before, ebay is a scam artists paradise. 

Message 374 of 613
latest reply

I ordered a book from ebay, and it stated delivered, but I never got the book.  This is the first time this has ever happened to me.  I complained to ebay, but they said that they have closed my case because the seller had a tracking number stating delivered.  No package.  No money back...  I lose out $40.  Now I'm affraid to ever oder anything over $15 from ebay.  Regardless if it was delivered, and supposed someone stole it off my steps.  I don't know, but I lost out.  I could have went to the store, and bought the book.  Ebay, should require a signature no matter what price tage the item is.  Eat **bleep** EBAY!

Message 375 of 613
latest reply