cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

I am sick and tired of buyers purchasing and after the purchase they ask the questions.

Message 331 of 613
latest reply

Sure you have all the rights. You don't know how to get the item and a refund, then leave a negative. EBay takes care of buyers and screws the people that pay the fees.

Message 332 of 613
latest reply

I agree here ! buyers are taking liberties and the seller loses all the time ,. classic is my measurements are wrong i want a part refund , you give one and they leave low rating then your restricted to selling less JOKE

Message 333 of 613
latest reply

Going thru the same.  He left a positive feedback then opened a return case Buyer showed photos of a damaged item that does not even Look anything like what I sent or listed in my listings and eBay ruled in his favor and I am supposed to refund him while I am sure he is sending a bogus item back.  Hoping for an eventual class actions suit against eBay. In the meantime I may have an officer present and will record while I open the returned box.  I have a repairmen that will verify what I shipped. What a scam.

Vintage items galore and so much more!

Carlos Vega [Vegas-Vintage-Vault]
Message 334 of 613
latest reply

Ive had that problem in the past. Lately these few days buyers have been pretty good. I try to stay in touch with them. Let them know whars going on updates.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 335 of 613
latest reply

Yep, I have a buyer who purchased a bracelet and paid for standard shipping, tracking shows it's on it's way and in her city to be delivered this day, shipping time is 2 to 9 days.  The buyer puts in a request for item not delivered and they take the money out of my account.  The buyer didn't even get the item or wait the allotted shipping time and shows tracking.  What store can you go to and get a refund without the item????????????????????????????????????  I'm going to finish my sales and leave ebay.  this is total you know what!!!!!!  Sellers are nothing to ebay, we have a ton on them and yet we deal with the big corp blantant rip offs.  Ebay is just laughing at the sellers all the way to the bank.  Oh DON'T DO GLOBAL SHIPPING, IT'S A SCAM.  EBAY JUST PRESENTED IN A PRETTIER PACKAGE, DO FALL FOR IT.

Message 336 of 613
latest reply

Ebay sells a service, which makes them a seller and they fully protect themselves but they leave there sellers high and dry and rippppppppppppppppppped off!!!!!!!!! 

Message 337 of 613
latest reply

I have to agree. Even before I started selling on e-bay, I worked in retail for the last 5 yrs. I am amazed at the things customers would try to return to get a refund. Clothing they wore with deodorant stains, funky smells etc. Or things they have had for over a year or two, no tags, no receipt. These were the customers that would cause a scene usually and demand a refund IN CASH. What would happen is the store (a Major Department Store-who pays their employees like **bleep**) would give them what they want even though   the customer is fully taking advantage of the situation. It was a joke. I can see those same type of customers shopping on ebay as well.  I have had to learn about including a disclosure on every one of my listings now. One regarding shipping, and one regarding used items being sold "as is". I'm hoping this will help deter these kind of buyers. I am a buyer as well as a seller, and never do I have issue with what I buy. That's because I read the description thoroughly, check seller ratings, and read seller feedback.

Message 338 of 613
latest reply

BOYCOTT NOTICE:  I just wanted to drop in to thank everyone for the posts.  They have been very useful.  I used to sell my used electronics on eBay, and currently have a laptop and iphones I was going to list, but have realized eBay has become too dangerous of a venue to do so.  eBay should understand they just now lost fees on approximately $1,000 of merchandise.  I'll be selling the stuff on facebook to someone local instead.  I'm no interest in giving these items away for free.  Word is getting around about this and so I checked into the issue before listing.  Very glad I did.

Message 339 of 613
latest reply

This stinks!  I am both a Buyer and a Seller, although, I buy way more than I sell on here and rotten Buyers are why.  I just sold a necklace.. cheap, way cheaper then I should have and what did I get.  A royal pain in the BLEEEEEP!!  No matter how many ways I have had to prove that I was being an honest Seller, this person persists!  She wanted a $400 gold chain, so she bid on my plated gold necklace and pendant.  First thing, she sends a message telling me she wants a solid gold chain.  I sent her a message that 14 kt EP was in the listing.  Then she tells ebay that I didn't make the print big enough.  Then she turns around and "claims" the item is damaged.  If it is, then I will gladly refund her money, but she refused to send pictures!  When that doesn't work for her, she attacks my design work on this piece!!  OMG!!!  I have had some issues myself with Sellers that take pictures that aren't even close, but come on!  If I have a complaint, I get put the paces!!!  Where are these idiots coming from?!  Are they growing them stupid somewhere?

As of late yesterday, her new reported issue is that it doesn't match the listing, again.  And yes, it stinks that we give good feedback for a promt payment, but can't retract it when teh Buyer turns out to be a Bully!

Message 340 of 613
latest reply

Oh I am done with eBay! Same issues buy way more than I sell and I it's a hit miss but I will not nit pick every single item. Just sold a used item to seller who claims item is too used come on it was in the listing now demanding return. I guess wants brand new. Who knows if she didn't wear them and than changed her mind. I wish another company would take over eBay where sellers are protected instead of held hostage buy the buyers. I think more and more people are not going to be selling in eBay and than see how they like it. I know I'm not gonna sell anymore of my high end items as I don't want to be scammed by some losers from Russia who want everything nice and new and free! 

Message 341 of 613
latest reply

I'm leaving eBay too it's messed up!!
Message 342 of 613
latest reply

Tried that it didn't work.
Message 343 of 613
latest reply

I agree messed up!
Message 344 of 613
latest reply

I'm with you! We need to permanently delete them off eBay somehow.
Message 345 of 613
latest reply