cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

E bay is awful!!!! They protect sellers who rip people off.
Message 301 of 613
latest reply

No, to a large degree, BUYERS have become the #1 detriment to eBay sellers.  Like many other sellers, I am seeing a sudden influx of 'problem buyers'.

I have been both a buyer and a seller (on and off for over 10 years), so my perspective is -balanced- by experience.

Here is how many sellers now perceive 'buyer' expectations or FB reactions;: 

"It's not pufect, ith's not pufect"... 

Say it phonetically, with a 'speech impediment' (ala Elmer Fudd) and you'll get the joke.

This is the result of absurd 'buyer protections' set by ebay's greedy management.

The level of buyer fraud, buyer's 'remorse', and other buyer scams is soaring.

Ebay's bias towards buyers should be revised as follows:  Caveat Emptor

Message 302 of 613
latest reply

You are so right! We've been on Ebay since it began and it's gotten so bad with scammers. Ebay doesn't wanna hear it though and they only protect the buyer. We've had so many people buy an item then weeks later say that it wasn't as described. And ebay refunds them OUR money w/o our permission. Now they have 90 days to return an item, so they've increased the amount of time for returns. There are too many scams n Ebay doesn't want to hear the sellers side of the story. Buyer is always right, so says Ebay. Some idiots buy an item, say it's not as described n return their old damaged item. We have a pawn shop n inspect everything, we open brand new items b/c some ppl will open the box n take the new item,put something else in it's place then try to sell it to us. So we have to open brand new stuff. Some buyers will tell ebay that it's not new even though it's described as new. We take detailed pix n give detailed descriptions. But some buyers do not care to read that, and we say that we are a store n have to open n inspect all items that come to our store. Ebay kicked us off, deleted over 200 items we had listed. We had 98% positive feedback score. But a few idiots scammed us n ebay said it's our fault n we cld do nothing about it. I'm trying to find another auction site. We did well with sales, until all the pos buyers screwed us over. EBAY IS A JOKE N DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SELLER'S RIGHTS
Message 303 of 613
latest reply

You've got no feedback. What makes you an expert?
Message 304 of 613
latest reply

Are you kidding me E-bay promotes buyers to rip off sellers. Every time you turn around it pops up in your face. If it not as described open a case we will get your money back. I have been selling for 5 years e-bay is going down the drain. They don't care what kind of buyers they have.Their unfair feedback is also a joke. I had 1,500 items listed I am now down to 500 soon I will not sell on e-bay as soon as my stores year runs out as I upgraded and it locked me in. Funny thing is if e-bay keeps this up all they will have on here is shi tbecause no decent people will want to sell anymore and all they will have is scammers.

Message 305 of 613
latest reply

Ebay disappoints me!!!! Where is the seller protection?????? I just got a notice from them that they are siding with the buyer who claims the item is defective, which is bull!!! Anxiously waiting for my item to be returned....am doubtful it will all be sent back.
Message 306 of 613
latest reply

Yeah I here you. I have had more problems in the last 3 months then I have ever since I started Ebay.  All the problems have come from Mexico and Brazil.  Don't ship to either of those places unless you feel like giving away free merchandise. I even tried to protect myself by scanning in the actual package with the Paypal shipping label that is printed through Ebayy/Paypal and that means nothing to them. What **bleep** me off the most was that they refunded this customer for a video game they bought. The customer finally sends me an Ebay email to say sorry but they received the game now. So will Ebay refund my money back or have the customer pay it back. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! They don't give a **bleep** that the customer received their item. Called customer service and after being on hold for like an eternity, I get the do you have a tracking#? The point was that the customer confirmed he received it so I would like the money back that you gave him. They say they can't confirm anything without a tracking number. No way to upload anything to them when a case is opened.  Well except for that answer to all problems "The tracking number" I even have another case where a customer confirmed he received the item and the case is still open for days and days because the buyer won't close it and Ebay again waiting for that tracking number. Not sure if any other sellers here are having items that are less then $5.00 fly out the door when your selling everything with a tracking number. Hmmmm a $3.00 cassette, sure I'll pay $8.00 to have it shipped locally with a tracking number. Yeah right!

Anybody else have that happen where Ebay refunded your customer and then your customer contacts you that they received it. There is nothing they will do for you. As if the customer will pay you after the fact. Don't ship to Brazil or Mexico!! Like I said about 10 problems in the last 3 months from those 2 places. 

Message 307 of 613
latest reply

I recently sold a pair of UGG boots to a person from Lithuania. First he asked me to reduce the price. I did. Then he asked me to reduce the shipping cost and I did again. Then he asked me to write "gift" on the shipping label, but I could not do it. I did put less value there so he did not have to pay so much customs as he stated. It took more than 40 days to arrive to is country and he opened the case that the boots were not as described. He said the boots were damaged during the shipping. Of course, Ebay issued the refund. Now he got the boots and his money back. I lost my UGG boots with $38 dollar shipping cost. So be careful to ship to this country. First, I do not understand why it took so long to get there by priority mail. Second, I do not understand how could the boots were totally wet according to the pictures he sent to me. Ebay custormer service just told me: issue the refund. It is your responsibility. Ebay is not going to pay that. I really did not ask Ebay to pay. I just needed a suggestion. No suggestions from them at all!

Message 308 of 613
latest reply

Yeah their only suggestion would be to issue the refund. I ship from Canada so this item you shipped is from USA correct?

The package you shipped probably has insurance included? I know from Canada Post there is insurance up to $100.00 on most parcels included at no charge and you can buy more insurance. If your package has insurance you should contact the mail service you used (USPS)? and file a claim for damaged item. At least that way you can get your shipping money back from them but the amount of the item will only be refunded back for the amount you put on the label. USA mail process may be different so I'm just letting you know that you may have a case with the mail service. Also this buyer sent you a pic of the boots so you have evidence and  the parcel was damaged. Buyer could be telling the truth or not. Either way, you can still get that money or most of that money back through the insurance claim. Hope your parcel has that or your going to be getting no help from Ebay in this case except the recommendation for just a refund.

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 309 of 613
latest reply

Sold head phones to buyer in Texas. He claimed the box came empty. Ebay refunded his money and we got the tansaction charged!

Out $216.25.

Message 310 of 613
latest reply

What's the use of even using eBay...You lose either way with dishonest buyers!

I shipped a product to a fellow last December 15. He never reported a problem till a month later. By then the insurance company would not accept a claim.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I received the return of one piece out of 600+ that measured 3x4x2 inches and weighed 7 ounces. It was shipped in a huge box that the lable stated was 7 pounds. The auctual box and lots of newspaper with this one 3x4x2" part was 1lb-10 ounces. I called eBay imediately and they said they would investigate. Now my paypal is in the negative and they are still waiting to collect  $110. to be able to send him a total of $250.20.

I am in the process of filing a federal fraud case as we speak, and if there will be justice in this...

Message 311 of 613
latest reply

How eBay screws you...let me count the ways...
1. Biggest one... Letting dishonest buyers steal sellers blind even when the evidence says otherwise.
2. Even after eBay closes the case and issues a partial refund to you, it keeps the shipping fee.
3.You opt in for 100 free listing a day, follow the rules, and eBay sacks two auctions from you allotted paid for store auctions of 150 per month. Try to go to customer support is like going to question the mafia. I'm not skilled in that area, let me transfer you...again and again, and again...
4.You relist an item as buy it now in their new format, that was originally 7 days, and up pops that auction for 30 days with a fee.
5.Overseas currency payments are not the current going rate, and you guessed it...more pennies for ebay and paypal.
7. They hook up with your banks and even after telling your bank at the initial sigh up to NOT use overdraft protection, ebay sends a bill and the bank says your account is overdrawn. You call both of their customer service reps, and they say not to worry, just let it ride out. It didn't ride out they hit me with another $29 overdraft fee! Thanks WoodForest! I should have know better! I hope they don't hold their breath waiting...
8.Testimonial...So I sold a item, buyer claimed it did not work.. He opened a case.. I offered a full refund if the item was returned.. He then escalated the case, and guess what. They sided with him and refunded his money.. One little thing though…  HE DID NOT RETURN THE ITEM!!!  Same thing happened to me just recenty. $250.20 cents worth.
9. Another testimonial... and I have had the exact some thing happen to me!...
How dare eBay take out money from my PayPal without my permission to give to a buyer that has returned an item to you used when you sold them a new sealed product and that is not the way it was return; yet eBay gave them their full money back and now you as the seller are screwed over because you cannot sell it as a new item anymore. 

There are millions of stories like this, so take my word...do not sell on eBAD!

Message 312 of 613
latest reply

Hello,

Did PayPal ever make this right for you. I am in the same prdicament and i am dead in the water till they reimberse me.

Thanks!

Jim

Message 313 of 613
latest reply

Insane! I sold 5 of the same phones and one of buyers has had it for a month and also did another transaction with it and NOW SAYS IT HAS A ISSUE!?! And i now ebay says hes still protected?!??? Im so sick if this! Then even though i have great feedback im getting punished because buyers open return cases on a item?? I deal with expensive products of corse they want ebay to regulate the return shiping.. So since they open the case to return which i accept (BECAUSE WE KNOW IM NOT GOING TO WIN) and the customer can be happy EBAY STILL RESTRICTS ME because they had to get involved?? I sell 26,000$ worth of products a month , they make alot of money off me, but as soon as i find another site IM LEAVING !! Sorry if there are typos
Message 314 of 613
latest reply

The key to understanding Ebay's policies is to look at them through the lens of Wall Street. Ebay is a public company and all they care about is pleasing the Street each and every quarter. In order to do that they need volume. If some small sellers get ripped off, Ebay doesn't care because they know you don't really have a lot of other options. Buyers on the other hand, can purchase goods from Amazon or many other e-commerce sites. Therefore, Ebay is always going to skew its policies in favor of buyers. 

Think of your local shopping mall, if a candy store or a t-shirt shop (both tend to be small, privately owned businesses) goes belly-up and leaves the mall then management isn't going to waste too many tissues crying about them. However, if one of their anchor tenants like Macys or Belk, for instance, were to suddenly leave then management would be in for some serious pain pretty quickly. 

Ebay is essentially mall management. They really don't care about small-time sellers. If you do well then fine, if you don't then no big deal. The only way Ebay is going to start caring about small sellers is if another site comes along that threatens to lure them away en masse. Only if Ebay were to have a legit competitor (other than Amazon) would they then start trying to balance their policies to be more accomodative of small sellers. 

Message 315 of 613
latest reply