cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

EBAY & PAYPAL BUYER SCAM BEWARE/ DANGER

I just lost $21,550.00 because I sold a Rolex diamond studded watch to a customer in Europe and was scammed. I have sold collectables on EBay and used PayPal for many years. Everything was pretty good until both EBay & PayPal decided to add a safeguard for buyers only called "Buyer Protection." There is no protection for sellers. Here is what happened to me: I put up a diamond studded Rolex watch for sale at a Buy it Now or Best Offer price of $24,000.00. An EBay user offered me $21,550.00 and I accepted the offer. I shipped the watch by FedEx (not insured) requiring a signature. The item was received by my buyer who paid me through PayPal by the way.  A few days later the buyer filed a complaint with PayPal the watch was "not as described." I emailed the buyer to return the watch for a full refund. A week later I received a package back from the buyer. When I opened it there was a bar of soap inside. In the meantime PayPal froze the funds in my PayPal account saying I would have to dispute the reversal of the money back to the buyer which I did. Over the next few days through the dispute process I was told I had to file a police report which I did online with a site like Interpol. I filed a report both online about what had take place as well as calling PayPal directly. The party I spoke to was very sympathetic with my story as they are trained to by the way. Over a three week period I waited for the funds to be released but instead received an email from PayPal that the ruling was against me and for the buyer. I was stunned and when I called PayPal back they told me word for word, "we had no way to have inspected what you sent and therefore under our Buyer Protection Policy had to rule in the Buyers favor. I am leaving EBay and will never again use PayPal. If you have had this happen to you please add your experience here. Perhaps with enough complaints someone can file a class action law suit against EBay & PayPal and we can get our money back.

Message 286 of 613
latest reply

This has also happened to us more then once but, the items were no where near $21000 That is awful. Both our products were in the 500 range.

This new buyer protection issue is the worst policy eBay has put out yet. The Return Requests system is a JOKE. So Someone claims the item is not as described you have 3 options.

Option 1 Pay for a return shipping label and refund the buyer when you get the item back.

Option 2 Offer a partial refund.

Option 3 Just give the buyer a full refund and let them keep the item.

So Lets say you pay for return shipping and you get the package back but, then when you open it the box is full of bubble wrap (or a bar of Soap) NO PRODUCT. I then when and disputed the return and get this eBay does not give you the option to tell them why you are disputing the Return request. So I called eBay about this and Garrett G Told me eBay does not care why you opened the dispute the only thing eBay looks at is the buyers history. The only way they will side with the seller is if the buyer has been reported several times otherwise and this is what Garrett G Told me "Well it is the cost of doing buisiness, you should expect these things to happen."  

Message 287 of 613
latest reply

I was just ripped off. Buyer claimed item arrived damaged I agreed to return, he returned different item, ebay does not care nor does paypal. They refunded him and offer me no recourse at all. Told me this is the price you pay and to expect it. This new policy is insane.

Message 288 of 613
latest reply

Happened to me too. They dont seem to care at all anymore about the seller..

Message 289 of 613
latest reply

Ditto!

I have had 4 return requests in two weeks where as I have "never ever" had one before in two years. The two returns i received were not the items I sent, and the theives on the receiving end know they can get away with it.

No honor among theives, and the law of averages will catch up with them...as I have a cousin in the justice department in DC who loves this kind of dishonesty...EBAY!.

Message 290 of 613
latest reply

this is why i am qutting using ebay......buyers keep winning and buying my auctions and  asking for their money back at various points after i have gotten the payment.  I keep having to do 3 times the work for one auction.  my items lose value, get returned, lose watchers and i have to put up with these lying dirtbaf buyers because of ebays policies.  i have a friend that has a company called auction doctors.  He does anywhere from 100 to 300 grand on ebay a year and he is the one who organized all my complaints for . i am an above avereage seller,,,,,they have lost my business.  But now they are going to start losing the big boys.  You have to protect the seller.  1 auction should mean 1 auction.  screw this relisting , refunding idiots with attitudes Bull@#$%.  And i am tired of customer service girls that cant speak english and dont understand the job they have and hold times waiting for managers that never pick up.  screw ebay royally.

true joke

etsy, craigslist,  here i come

Message 291 of 613
latest reply

YES I AGREE WITH YOU. THERES NOTHING WORSE THEN TRYING TO TALK TO SOME ORIENTAL THAT YOU CANT UNDERSTAND OR SHE ?OR HE CANT UNDERSTAND YOU. I DONT EVEN WAST MY TIME .IF I CANT UNDERSTAND THEM VERY WELL I HANG UP AND TRY AGAIN.YES EBAY HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND..IAM TIRED OF THERE NEW RULES THAT FAVER THE BUYER.AND BIDDER. IF  THAY WIN AN ITEM AND CHANGE THERE MIND OR JUST DONT PAY FOR IT...THERES NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO ..THE BOTTOM LINE I DONT GET PAID AND  I WASTED TIME ENERGY AND MONEY MISSING ARROUND WITH EBAY .!!! WE ARE JUST STUCK AT THE DIRTY END OF THE DEAL !!! E BAY DOESNT HELP THE SELLER AT ALL. JUST A BUNCH OF WASTED PAPERWORK IF YOU ASK ME !!

Message 292 of 613
latest reply

You Know I feel really sorry for what's happened to you, I thought my case was bad enough when I sold a paid of Diamond earing the buyers wore, them broke them and after four weeks opened a return. Its not what I wanted to call her, Ebay is a haven for thieves.

Message 293 of 613
latest reply

well ive had more than a few people rip me off on ebay yeah a few sellers but my main problem has always been with buyers scamming me sending back empty or half empty boxes etc and ebay/paypal ganking the money i didnt have from my bank account so i end up having to pay late fee's penaltys etc etc

the latest case is i sold an item as is that i couldnt test the guy gets it says it doesnt work so he wants his money back but rather than talk to me and maybe say hey i am sorry i made a mistake can i please return this ill pay for the return shipping to witch i would have said ok

the buyer decided to **bleep** and cry to ebay and have the funds pulled back from my bank account and put on hold stopping all my business costing me lots of time and money its crazy bull**bleep** i call ebay they till me its paypals problem to call them so i call paypal and they tell me to call ebay i call ebay they say call paypal i call paypal again they said yeah were the same company till 2016 so basicly we can pick and choose policys to follow we cant strop transations or refunds or help you in anyway sorry your right i feel bad for you but theres nothing i can do

thats how all my calls with ebay or paypal go they are sorry they can see i am right but theres nothing they can do its a scam i am a single dad on disablity who got sucked into the bill me later bull**bleep** and now feel like i am never gonna be able to get it paid off and closed and they wont let me close anything or stop anything untill its paid

ack all i gotta say is dont sell on ebay and dont use paypal its a bad deal they support and help thieves bootlegers pirates etc

if a item is marked as is no returns at any store if someone walks in and says i want a full refund or at the very least give me 50bucks cash and ill stop bothering you and freezing your money with my complaints they would be beat down and thrown out

i would love some help dealing with ebay/paypal if anyone brings a lawsuit against them i would love to help however i can i think they should be shut down because of the way they practice business my emails saila.nadeau@yahoo.com

Message 294 of 613
latest reply

yeah ebay and paypal stole money i didnt have from my bank account trying to refund bull**bleep**

if a auction is marked no returns no refunds as is etc

then the buyer has no ground to stand on if they want something new buy something new but to screw someones livelyhood and make it so they cant make payments pay bills do business etc is lame i hope theres a place all of us who have been ripped off can get together and do a joint action lawsuit or something to end this

Message 295 of 613
latest reply

Ebay doesn't care about their sellers.  It's obvious.  I had a perfect 100% feedback and no negatives for 1.5 years - now I've received 3 in one month with absolutely no contact made by the buyer even though we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  Ebay customer service has repeatedly told me that I'm just screwed and that there's nothing that they can do.  Malicious buyers are destroying my business.  How will I feed my family?

EBAY:  PLEASE, MAKE IT MANDATORY FOR A BUYER TO TRY TO WORK THINGS OUT WITH A SELLER BEFORE BEING ABLE TO LEAVE NEUTRAL OR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.  All of my neutrals and negatives that I received were all made without any contact attempted.  All of them are completely unjustified.  

Ebay - without sellers you will make no money.  I am currently in the process of looking into other venues to sell from so that I can close my Ebay account for good.  

I'm a Top Rated Gold Level Power Seller and I work 90+ hours a week to feed my family.  The buyer is NOT always right.  I do everything right and even offer complete refunds without a return!  After 1.5 years of no negatives and then 3 neutrals and 3 negs in a less than one month period, I've had enough.  Ebay is unwilling to help.

I understand that there's the occasional bad buyer, but this is getting out of hand.  I find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that this is happening.  I've been working harder than ever and it seems like I'm being punished for it.

EBAY - HELP YOUR SELLERS!  WITHOUT US, YOU WOULD HAVE NOTHING!

Message 296 of 613
latest reply

I just got a steady stream of rip off buyers.  They refuse to just send back the item for a refund.  Some are chinese and seem to write poor english.  They can't understand that an item that says 5 lbs is not ten pounds or vise versa.  one wanted 2 orders for the price of one because the same picture was used for the five pound item as the ten pound item that were clearly designated as different net weights.  One i had to refund half the order and because of their confusion and the other on i just told to thow it out and not send it back losing a substantial amount of money. I know more about my product than they do. The customer is always right.  Next name that is chinese i am not mailing out the item withouit feedback in advance that they know what it is they are paying for.  2 in a row like that is too many.

Message 297 of 613
latest reply

They shouldl call it ebay shop lifting.  Whops....its on amazon too. worse on amazon.

Message 298 of 613
latest reply

Yup!!!

That happens to many people here. It's not just one negative or return, its two or three. Just enough to knock you out of being a top notch seller with the 20% discount..

If you sell $2000 dollars worth a month, that adds up to $200 in savings back into ebays pocket. Multiply that by millions, and they can afford to buy quite a few auctions and post negative feedback.

with all their money, i'm sure they have bought and paid for the government just like the Krotch brothers...:)

Message 299 of 613
latest reply

I wonder how many of you gyes have put items on hear and been less than honest about the shape it's in or even if it works in my experience the sellers are the crooks...if u sell what u say ur selling and it's in good shape odds are there won't be any problems. ..
Message 300 of 613
latest reply