cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

Sold a small appliance a month ago and shipped it out with $1000 worth of insurance with UPS (sold for $1,001.00). Buyer receives package and notices slight damage to the item, notifies me. SAME day I file a claim with UPS and email buyer to retain all packing materials and repackage item as it was received. Buyer discards all of the packaging and when UPS comes to pick up the item its just the bare appliance which they put in the back of the truck unprotected. NO ONE tells me any of this. A week later my item arrives back at the UPS store where I shipped it from and my claim has been denied because the buyer has discarded all of the shipping material. God knows what condition its in now having gone 1000 miles in trucks with a layer of shrink-wrap around it (thanks UPS). Buyer emails me "what do we do now?" I respond that I can't issue a refund because he failed to follow simple instructions and suggest that he make arrangements to have the item returned to him by UPS (I don't have it). He escalates his complaint and a few hours later Ebay finds in his favor without the courtesy of seeking any input from me. Froze my Paypal account and then refunded the buyer including shipping. Took their sellers fees leaving me with a negative balance. I had to call my bank and cancel my check card as I will not be paying Ebay for the dicking-over that i received by both the buyer and themselves. Thanks. Closing my account now. Good riddance. btw I've had excellent experiences selling on craigs=list. Trying amazon next.

Message 271 of 613
latest reply

Country has nothing to do with it. I guess both are at fault. I sold a Dell tablet to a guy in Texas. He's figured out that if he complains enough he gets to keep the tablet and get a refund so he's whined and cried to eBay refusing to return the tablet. I suspect eBay will force me to refund. Which will mean I'll then close my account. I have 100% positive until this Texas guy. I have had no end of problems with Americans. They always appear to figure out a new scam. 

Message 272 of 613
latest reply

I just gotta stand up for the buyers here for a change.  I have been sold snake oil a half dozen times in my seven years here.  EBay makes me jump through ten hoops before they let me write a negative feeedback to a seller.  I have to get in touch with the seller,  which is often impossible due to ebays own bylaws.  So cry me a river !  Nobody forced you to sell here,  You want crooks ?  Go to Craigs list. They have boiler room operations running 24/7,  scamming the sellers there or going to the homes of the sellers and terrorizing them.  There is no secrecy there.  I just put up 15 thousand bucks worth of jewelry at the most prestigious auction house in Maine.  I was told they sell nationwide and I would have no trouble getting more than I expected.  I got a grand total of 2600 bucks with an average number of bids being three.  The coin collections I sold went for less than the worth of the spot silver prices.  I had 500 dollar bracelets go for 35 bucks !  I could have done better at a pawn shop.  There was not one **bleep** thing I could do about it.  The reserve prices charged would have made things even worse.  If there is one lesson here,  it is  " There is no gravity,  the whole world sucks ! "  I am convinced the decent folk have to get together and  have community yard sales or organize local auctions.  Neighbors are far less liable to rip you off.

Message 273 of 613
latest reply

Yep. Same thing here but thank God it wasn't that big of a sale. I still needed my money. 

Message 274 of 613
latest reply

I am getting ripped off by an Ebay buyer. He bought my brand new ALO Audio Fit Ear Togo cable ($352.15 is what I paid for it). He gets it via Priority Express and files "not as described". It had pictures , the box it came in and images of it. He shows Ebay a picture of my box and his old chappy cable. Ebay doesn't allow for written communication, just images...so I take pictures of my letters telling them I have never seen this cable he showed them before in life. Ebay writes me telling me that despite having thousands of transactions with them, they would give me 5 extra days to provide evidence. THE VERY NEXT DAY THEY DECIDE DEPT 20 IMAGE THAT HE WINS! Insult and injury. They recover funds from me unilaterally via PayPal bouncing my checking account and he keeps my cable and his money.

Message 275 of 613
latest reply

happens to me all the time too often buyer has never done wrong in ebays eyes

Message 276 of 613
latest reply

tell the truth me too

Message 277 of 613
latest reply

Well, I'm glad I am not alone in this area.

Sold something for $1200 with insurance, signature delivery via UPS. Received all my money via Paypal. Buyer SIGNED for item, files paypal claim that he didn't receive it.

Sent ebay/paypal copy of UPS signature receipt photo/scan during ongoing case. They find in his favor after their 'investigation' even WITH my proof of delivery SIGNATURE and he gets ALL his money back AND keeps the item???

And reading a lot of these posts, it seems I have yet to meet a SELLER who has WON ONE CASE!  There is NO LOGIC for this AT ALL! 

I belong to a lot of forums in regards to my hobbys, I am meeting more and more people who flat out state, I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS VIA PAYPAL or EBAY ANYMORE. 

On these forums, we do business via money order and check...guess what...we NEVER have a problem - probably because we are all honest people.

Message 278 of 613
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, you are definitely not alone. Corporate needs to do some SERIOUS DAMAGE CONTROL. I do not think these people have any idea just how serious things are. Will they finally fix these glitches? I doubt it. Even if they do, forget about any admission of guilt. I've had 3 of recent stating they JUST wanted to cancel. Since I am no hassle, Another accusing me of sending a used item and I uploaded my receipts. I'm sure I will go down for that one too. Now it appears these are being counted against me. I have had other reasons to speak with CS at great length and have come to realize this is their attitude if you have heard this before. . . Man standing with his foot in a bucket of water. You say why do you have your foot in the bucket? They say what bucket? On and on and on and ONLY if it ends up a huge deal among 100s of people saying YOU HAVE YOUR FOOT IN A BUCKET will they MAYBE say. . . OH, THAT BUCKET. I'm not even sure then will any of them realize the depths of potential damages to them and sellers alike. I am of the impression everything is too out of control and I sure hope it changes, but I'm very worried.
Message 279 of 613
latest reply

Well this is a good one.  Sorry it's only for $100 though.  We're comic sellers.   We decide to sell to this guy even though a previous purchase he never paid for the items he purchased. So he puchased his comics over $100 worth.  My son hand picked the comics to make sure everything was there.  We wraped them 3 times in bubble wrap so they wouldn't get damaged.   Buyer gets the items and says there were comics missing and some were damaged.  We wouldn't resolve the problem with him since we knew he was trying to scam us.   I spent he finally opened a case against us after harassing us with 30 messages saying we had commited fraud.   So after he opened the case I immediately contacted the resolution center.  Was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours and the person who answered the phone actually sided with me about the whole thing.  She found in my favorr and he was blocked along with his negative feedbacks saying we had commited fraud.   He emails us saying this isn't over even if he has to do chargeback.  He appeals the case with ebay and 24 hours later they found in his favor and rewarded him with $100 of our money.  They found in his favor because he said he received and empty box.  This is after he had told us that we were missing 3 of the comics.   I'm on the phone with ebay for another 2 hours trying to see what was going on.  They totally ignored his messages to us through ebay claiming we had shorted him 3 comics. I was told he got a signed affidavid which probably means he went to a notaray and told him he recieved and empty box and he initalized it.  Our these people who work on ebay that stupid that they can't read what he said to us?   Ebay you suck big time

Message 280 of 613
latest reply

this should of been taken care of in small claims court.  For that much money I certainly would of.  Ebay has a buch of idiots working for them

Message 281 of 613
latest reply

I fear I am about to be the latest case of being ripped off by a buyer.  Customer purchased an automotive scan tool from me, it was in perfect working condition, I would know because I owned it for the last 5 years and hardly used it, I even bought a new battery and charger for it recently so I could sell it with confidence that ther would be no problems.  2 days after recieving the tool, buyer contacts me and says a button does not work. I respond that that is impossible because I tested it immediatly before packing it to be shipped.  If a button does not work then it is because HE broke it.  I did not offer any warranty, as nobody in their right mind selling a 5 year old electrionic item would.  Buyer immediately opens cas on me for item not as described.  I attempt to contact buyer and no response.  If ebay steals the money out of my account and I recieve a broken item back, or no item at all, then there will be hell to pay for ebay allowing these kind of scams.  I have done research and it appears they are most likely going to side with the buyer, in which case they will be considered a party to fraud.  I have sold over 200 items and have perfect 100% good feedback but recently I was also scammed by a buyer who clained they never received the item I sent even though tracking showed it as delivered.  I will wait and see what happens, I only hope ebay looks at this buyer very closely to see if they have dfrauded any other sellers.

Message 282 of 613
latest reply

Tell buyer to return for refund and stop talking to him. Good luck

Message 283 of 613
latest reply

I have practically stopped selling anything on eBay as many Buyers' are not serious at all and just play tons of games bidding on items then pullint off all kinds of stunts to either not pay or have it shipped oversear. Its just not worth selling on eBay anymore, as in the last couple of years eBay has really gone down hill and they will suck their commissions out of your account within a second even though the sale never went through, then you have to spend about an hour on the phone going back and forth with people who's primary language is not English. I personally have started selling now on Amazon and it has been great everything sell quick and one doesn't have all the problems like you do with the eBayer's who just play games.

Message 284 of 613
latest reply

Also, too many Seller's are selling overpriced junk that they buy in China in huge amounts and then basically mark the item up 1000% or more. For example, some Seller's buy Stabilizer links or other Automotive items at around a $1 a piece and throw it on eBay for $10 to $20 or more. Then you have some real nuts selling cars that are pure junk and there prices are just beyond belief and they keep relisting these cars over and over again and whoever buys their junk is a real foo and I think most people searching on eBay are smart but some Seller's have no ethics. I noticed a car sold on Mecum Auto Auction for under $20k and then I noticed it on eBay about a week later for over $38k. I'm like whaaat? I purchased a wheel cover for a Honda CRV and Seller said it was "New" but when I received it, it was used and the Seller just cleaned it up. Its really pathetic what's going on eBay as people aren't doing the business they once used to but have now decided to start overpricing their junk.
Message 285 of 613
latest reply