cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

All of us sellers need to get together and get help from an attorney.  Ebay and paypal have gotten way out of hand.  I don't know who they think they are!!  We, as sellers, have rights.  Ebay is abusing them. 

Message 256 of 613
latest reply

i've been ripped off by ebay and con buyers majority of the sales i've ever made on here and i been selling since ebay started. i was selling under my mothers ebay for years and i was always in the hole from this problem. i started my own account recently and now every sale i do the person rips me off and ebay always takes there side on everything. i get ripped off cause i only have 3 stars and the buyer always threatens me for this too but my mom and i have thousands of positive feedback on hers from good sales and good buying. it's all a bunch of BS and i've been screwed out of several hundred dollars and my product never gets returned to me. i even called ebay 3 times to shut down my entire ebay page and they won't doit. it's all a scam to rip you off

Message 257 of 613
latest reply

Im sick and tired of being ripped off by buyersr! EBAY changes the rules to favor themselves and makes me the seller pay for the buyers mistake! I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!!!!

First of all, Im no chump. Even with delivery confirmation buyer escalated the case to Ebay claiming they didnt get it. I clearly show that the item was delivered, but no, Ebay says I cannot prove it was left at the buyers residence! So, buyer in the meantime files a chargeback in Paypal and gets their money, and then Ebay sides wtih buyer and sends them the same amount of money AGAIN and is after me for $11 and some change, which I refuse to pay. 

So, now the seller has the product and double the money back that they originally paid. Ebay says Im responsible for that money...uh, no Im not, the BUYER IS!

I run an honest business, Im not out to rip people off, Ebay sided with the buyer and I was pretty much told it was my responsibility to make sure the package arrived at the buyers home. Gee Ebay, I see that the package was delivered--end of story. That should protect me as a seller, apparently not. I told customer service, well maybe a neighbor picked it up, maybe it was stolen off the porch thats not my fault.. Ebay "Yes ma'am it is and you are being held responsible for it, you owe us money since we paid the buyer" I said that the buyer already did a chargeback, Ebay says the buyer did no such thing. Paypal even told Ebay about the chargeback. LIARS!!!!!

Message 258 of 613
latest reply

Kind of a different issue all together but I refuse to ship to Canada. Started selling 11 years ago and have had nothing but problems with Canadian customs as well as Canadian buyers. Im sure there are many good people in Canada but most dont buy from me. I stopped shipping to Canada over a year ago and my life has been much better since.

Message 259 of 613
latest reply

if you are shipping thru ebay's usps click or unclick "DO NOT SHOW POSTAGE" on the right hand middle of the page

Message 260 of 613
latest reply

We need a good old fashioned boycott ultimatum
Message 261 of 613
latest reply

YES THIS JUST HAPPEND TO ME WITH A CANADIAN BUYER HE BUGGED ME FOR A WEEK HAD TO PAY EXTRA FOR HEAVY ITEM HAD USPS DOUBLE BUBBLE WRAP IT HE RECEIVES IT TAKES PICTURE OF A BROKEN INTEM THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MINE AND NOW HAS REPORTED ME TO EBAY I AM A NEW SELLER 70 YRS OLD I NEED THIS MONEY FOR MY CANCER MEDICATION.. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DEFENDING MYSELF RIGHT NOW.. I WILL MESSAGE BACK MORE DETAIL SHORTLY.. OR FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME WITH ANY HELP ON HOW TO PROTECT MYSELF, I STATED NO REFUNDS, NO ITERNATIONAL SHIPPING, I FINALLY GAVE IN AFTER HE KEPT AT IT, AND NOW I STAND TO LOSE IT ALL

Message 262 of 613
latest reply

I'm done selling on eBay moving to Amazon or a different auction site. A buyer can claim anything and will win .
Message 263 of 613
latest reply

I'm done.
Message 264 of 613
latest reply

Yes. Just happen to me as well. eBay is definitely pro buyer. And there's really nothing sellers can do about it...
Message 265 of 613
latest reply

Me too,  Been using Ebay since the very early days. Just had a run in with the buyer from hell, and despite his messages saying he had the item repaired, they found in his favour, and gave hime 10 days to return. He chose not to return, so they closed the case STILL in his favour, although graciously said that I dod not have to refund him. Then they put a nblack mark against me for him not returning the item so he could get a reund.  Ebay took money from my paypal acount leaving a negative balance for 3 weeks. I was determined not to pay in funds to cover it in case they decided to refund him anyway. All that it did was make me look into alternative ways to buy and sell. I figured that if I had managed without Ebay for 3 weeks, I could manage without them permanently.

They now say they cannot cinally close my account for 90 days, probably in the hope that i will change my mind, but it'snot going to happen.

Message 266 of 613
latest reply

hi, yes its happened to me a good few times. i do not sell items that are faulty or broken in any way... first thing i get is them complaining about postage costs....then when i post the items to them they complain that the items are damaged in some way then ask for a partial refund...in every single case it is a forigner....i sent a item to a woman in england she received the item and gave me good feedback saying the item is fantastic, then a few weeks later sent me a message saying the item was broke...asking for a partial refund...im english and she had a forign name...iv looked at her feedback as a buyer and she does the same thing all the time...gives good feedback leaves it a few weeks..then sends a message complaining that item is damaged.....its fraud...and if ebay defends these people then they are conspiring with buyers to defraud sellers....iv written to watchdog a tv show that looks into dishonesty in matters like these...and im waiting to hear back from them....you should look into the buyers feedback history and if you find anything similer you should go down the road i went down...and go to a watchdog...the last thing ebay needs is bad publicity...and once its aired on tv perhaps other people who are victims of ebay scammers will come forward...and put ebay under a bit of pressure to root out and stop these inconsiderate people from buying things from honest people on ebay......regards

Message 267 of 613
latest reply

Yes I HAVE I HAD A FAIRLY NEW HP ELITEBOOK 2570P, ONLY 1 MONTH OLD , SENT OUT IN NEW MAILER BOX 

LAPTOP WAS ONLY 6 POUNDS, WRAPPED UP BOUT 5 TIMES AROUND LAPTOP, BUBBLED WRAPPED  BOTTOM AND

TOP OF BOX . YOU COULD NOT SEE LAPTOP IT WAS COMPLETELY COVERED.SENT OUT ON MONDAY RECIEVED 

ON FRIDAY MORNING , SHE SAID WASNT WHAT WAS DESCRIBED AND ALSO WAS DAMAGED ON BOTTOM 

CORNER OF LAPTOP MISSING THE LCD .SHE SAID THE BUBBLE WRAP AND BOX WAS TOO THIN , I TOLD HER THAT

HOW COULD THE LAPTOP BE DAMAGED ON BOTTOM EDGE OF LAPTOP WITHOUT CRACKING LCD , AND THIS WAS

A HARD ALUMINUM NOTEBOOK THAT WAS COMPLETED COVERED AROUND IN BUBBLEWRAP. SHE FILED A CASE

I SENT MORE PICTURES, SHE ESCALATED IT, THE NEXT DAY I RESPONDED A MINUTE LATER I RECEIVED A 

EMAIL FROM BAY BUYER WINS .CASE CLOSED. I BUILD PCS IVE SENT OUT 60 POUND DESKTOPS WITH NO ISSUES

AND NO IM OUT OF 400 DOLLARS, AND FEES INSURANCE WAS ON PACKAGE BUT IF BUYER SEND IT BACK 

IN ITS ORIGINAL PACKAGING THEIR WILL BE NO REFUND.I BELIEVE SHE READ THE SNAD, THEN DROPPED THE

NOTEBOOK AND SAY ITS DAMAGED.SINCE THEN  3 DAYS LATER SHES HAS BOUGHT TWO MORE LAPTOPS 

ON EBAY .I HOPE SHE HASNT TAKEN PARTS OFF MY LAPTOP.

Message 268 of 613
latest reply

Yea I would definitly not tust selling anything too high its too risky. Good for flea market stuff if you don't mind the fees.

Message 269 of 613
latest reply

Until this week, I was not aware what kind of crooks Ebay is and allowing their buyers to be. I sold a jet ski storage cover. Clearly showing giant pictures of the ski it was on and the condition it was in. Buyer waited 16 days to open item not as described case against me.
I uploaded pics of the ski from the listing as well as additional pics of the ski uncovered, showing the reg. #s issued by the state to compare covered and un covered. I also sent in a photo of my registration card with those #s
Buyer agreed, he would send photos of the ski to confirm model, registration card to confirm model and photos of the cover not fitting. Fine - He didn't do this by the day he said he would so at the end of that day, I escalated the case.
I get an email early stating found in favor of buyer, he will send item back for refund. Of course all this time the money is on hold in Paypal.
The photos he uploaded were of the cover thrown over top of the ski, nothing else. No proof of model, no card, nothing. I can clearly see he does not have the model of ski this cover was sold for.
I call in to Ebay to ask why I have to refund his money back when he #1 bought the wrong item, # 2 didn't upload the proper items to confirm what he has, either. They told me it's not their place to decide what buyer buy items for, it is my place to prove what I sold the item for ( type of ski ) I with out a doubt did prove this item was for the ski sold for with pics of it on the ski, off the ski, state issued ID #s. etc.
This guy just simply bought the wrong item for a model of ski that is not his model and I stated no refunds, but I have to allow him to send the item back and refund him because of HIS mistake. I noticed in the photos there could be a possible rip in this cover from him trying to MAKE it fit the wrong ski. I asked what do I do if it's damaged when I receive it. Ebay's reply was their is nothing they can do, it's the cost of doing business.
I just don't understand how these people could not see I have proven what this item is for and I listed it 1000% honestly and correctly and they bought the wrong item. They did say I could appeal once it is received, but really what's the point ? Ebay is the pimping the crooks, allowing buyers to rip off sellers. I know it's a combo of sellers and buyers that make Ebay money, but sellers are what brings in the money to start. I hope someday sellers stop selling there and they have to fold up shop!!! CROOKS!
Message 270 of 613
latest reply