cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Another Example of Challenges that Sellers Have

Afternoon Folks,

I wanted to take the time to let you know how the extreme actions of those in authority can impact those of us doing what is GOOD, WHOLESOME & HONORABLE.

As many know...we are are naturalist that live very much off producing natural goods/critters & produce from our homesteading activities here in nobletucky.

We also were a very sizable seller of organic bulk foods here until last year.

Many things factored into ending the sale of those particular goods, one being the very difficult challenge of consistent supply and raging price volatility.

Here is what we just learned today.

One of the largest broad based organic producers based in Oregon ( which is our main supplier) may have their 2000 acre farm completely sprayed with roundup and other weed eradicating chemicals by May 22/2017.

The reason:

A new interpretation of weed management by the county the farm resides in. The county has determined that weed control means weed eradication...not management...as in minimizing and dramatically reducing them.

I believe we have received 4 emails just today giving the progression of the planned spraying of this 18 year old certified organic farm that generates millions of dollars of organic food. Their crime...not eradicating some weeds the county has deemed as noxious.

Save a miracle...another family business will be destroyed literally...and even if I wanted to revisit selling organic bulk grains/flour/produce today is the cutoff to be able to purchase them.

Organic certification is a very arduous and challenging certification to meet and, trust me...the family...employees and vendors like us are absolutely in shock.

Horrific news...yet this country supports the production of food with the highest amount of chemicals/sprays etc than any country in the world.

Sad sad day.

Mr C

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

@thenobletuckylife

So sorry this has happened, Mr C.

Somehow this came to mind.

Big Yellow Taxi
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
And they charged all the people
A dollar and a half to see 'em
'Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And they put up a parking lot
Hey farmer farmer
Put away that D.D.T. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please
'Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took
Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Mr C............does the email say which weed? 

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Hi Mr C.

This really surprise me.

Usually those on the left coast are at the forefront of anything enviromental.

Hard to believe they'd blast everything with weed killer like that !

Who'd have thought !

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife That is truly horrible news. 😞 I eat organic myself, have for years, and I have also spoken with many suppliers on how difficult it is to get that certification. Can't believe the county where this farm is located is going to destroy everything in one fell swoop like that.

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Mr C............does the email say which weed? 

That's what I was wondering. If it's pigweed, they're lucky if all that's done is spray. Pigweed is a PNW and will take over everything, and short of  tillage cannot even be remotely controlled post-emerge without herbicides (and most of those won't control it. Corn gluten can be used as a pre).  Tillage will only knock it down for a while, it comes just comes back stronger. It's seeds are spread by the wind, and it will take over any field it and eradicate any other plants, i.e. crops that are there.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 6 of 59
latest reply

Hi Folks,

Was actually on the phone to someone else out in Portland Oregon as you folks were replying.

The weeds in question are: Morning Glory, Canada Thistle, and Whitetop

The challenge with this is that the organic farm is in an area of NON organic farmers that love to use GMO seed for their crops and subsequently already use roundup etc on their farms.

The issue is all about the ridiculous industry called "Lobbyist" So even though organic may prevail in one are...go around the corner and BIG AG is the muscle man with the backing of government folks they have bought off...oh sorry lobbyists have made sure the government officials are their friends.

Once again another example of those in power picking winners and choosers losers.

So now unless a court injunction takes place against the action the farm will be killed off. Sure crops will be able to grow there again...GMO ones...not organic ones and then the licensing of organic is gone.

Remember their are also POWERFUL corporations getting into the quote "Organic" business as well. They also have an agenda to be the biggest...so meanwhile small Mom & Pop shops loose out on one of the best organic producers products.

Mr C

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Afternoon Folks,

I wanted to take the time to let you know how the extreme actions of those in authority can impact those of us doing what is GOOD, WHOLESOME & HONORABLE.

As many know...we are are naturalist that live very much off producing natural goods/critters & produce from our homesteading activities here in nobletucky.

We also were a very sizable seller of organic bulk foods here until last year.

Many things factored into ending the sale of those particular goods, one being the very difficult challenge of consistent supply and raging price volatility.

Here is what we just learned today.

One of the largest broad based organic producers based in Oregon ( which is our main supplier) may have their 2000 acre farm completely sprayed with roundup and other weed eradicating chemicals by May 22/2017.

The reason:

A new interpretation of weed management by the county the farm resides in. The county has determined that weed control means weed eradication...not management...as in minimizing and dramatically reducing them.

I believe we have received 4 emails just today giving the progression of the planned spraying of this 18 year old certified organic farm that generates millions of dollars of organic food. Their crime...not eradicating some weeds the county has deemed as noxious.

Save a miracle...another family business will be destroyed literally...and even if I wanted to revisit selling organic bulk grains/flour/produce today is the cutoff to be able to purchase them.

Organic certification is a very arduous and challenging certification to meet and, trust me...the family...employees and vendors like us are absolutely in shock.

Horrific news...yet this country supports the production of food with the highest amount of chemicals/sprays etc than any country in the world.

Sad sad day.

Mr C

Just don't have the words to say how truly sorry I am for you and your business and those that have counted you loyal in business...your message is not going unhear...everyone that will lose these products will be shocked...freedom is not freedom in your part of the country...I am with you in heart...again truly sorry...

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

So sorry this has happened to an organic grower.  A few years ago I lost a whole pond of fish when a neighbor oversprayed in an effort to have a perfect lawn with no weeds at all.  Currently I have a big dead patch of grass in my front yard from wind carried overspray by a neighbor.  I am convinced that the honey bee problem and a lot of immune diseases are caused by chemical sprays.  I hope your supplier can survive.

snow dogs that have owned me

SheRa ‘Barbarian Queen’ Sept 16, 1995 - Nov 17, 2006
Thor ‘God of Thunder’ Nov 17, 2006 – Nov 26, 2007
Mishka ‘Little Bear’ March 26, 2007 – Oct 22, 2016
Conan ‘Wolf’ Nov 14, 2007
Message 9 of 59
latest reply

Well if they go ahead and spray then it's over as far as the organic certification.

I know the owners (who are a little bit older than I am) and their children's families will not simply become BIG AG farmers next year. It probably will mean that they will sell.

The interesting thing is back in Feb I had a conversation on several occasions with one of the son-in-laws. He asked a lot of questions regarding the climate/soil/typical crops that grow here in nobletucky, now I know why that came up.

Mr C
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

Mr C - so sorry to hear all this! Fingers crossed and injunction will be granted!

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife

I thought Morning Glory was just a plant?  I goggled that and it seems to confirm that.

Canadian Thistle and White Top are listed as noxious weeds, though.

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Mr C - so sorry to hear all this! Fingers crossed and injunction will be granted!

Hi Tunica,

Yes me too...just for the sakes of those hard workin folks!

I knew something was up behind the scenes in the past year...I have a pretty good ear to the ground with a few friends/contacts and some of the activities were not adding up. Of course no one in their right mind would sound off an alarm about being wiped out especially during these economic times where staying in business is a challenge in of itself let alone for organic growers etc.

Earlier this year I was involved in quite a few converstaions that was telling me that there was some real economic presurre behind the scenes...now I know what it was.

Nothing like a county of BIG AG folks being indifferent if not even hostile to those "Organic Farmers"

I am certain that they were not happy when the organic farm owner complained one year about the "blow over" fog affect of spraying round up and other pesticides/herbicides/insecticides that settled onto their land.  It is also in the central eastern portion of Oregon where irrigation is used and water is in short supply so that is another underlying tention that BIG AG farmers/locals wrestle over.

Mr C

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

That's beyond sad.

Poor everyone. Owners, consumers, people who eat!!

Big Ag? 

Seems like the whole world has gone crazy.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

Without a doubt Lindys,

I do not want to buy my organic goods off a grocery store shelf or in a Bob' Red Mill bag.

Just another bulk supplier off the list. Several have gone bye-bye in the past few years.

Do you realize California grows & ships out most of the produce consumed in America...but do you realize it is very difficult to actually ship food INTO that state?

Mr C
Message 15 of 59
latest reply