cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't leave negative feedback???

dmc06041969
Thrill-Seeker

I have buyers that never pay and never communicate.  When I go to leave feedback, all I know get are the choices of "positive" or "I'll leave feedback later".  Why can't I leave negative feedback anymore?

Message 1 of 691
latest reply
690 REPLIES 690

I've bought and sold on eBay since 2002 and I've seen the many changes eBay keeps bringing and too often can't see the sense in them. This inability to leave neg fb for buyers is almost the worst.

There was a balance in the system that is no longer there and eBay has heavily tilted toward buyers. There were abuses before by sellers that I didn't see and certainly didn't do, but this bias meant buyers were free to bid and win on many auctions for a particular item they wanted,then pay for their 'best deal' and leave all the other sellers to file the NPB process that had its time constraints and so on.

I have had my buyer requirements set at the highest level for a long time and still there are abuses by buyers.

In the last month there was a chargeback filed by buyer with PayPal. New fellow with FB stuck on '1' as none of the other sellers bother to file FB for the many cellphones etc. bought in 2 days by this fellow.

He has the cellphone and he didn't pay for it.

I am supposed to be elated that there is seller protection on PayPal, but here's the deal--I know for a fact I will pay along the line for this and so will every other seller out there.

eBay needs to take its heavy thumb off the scale and allow sellers to give honest feedback for buyers.

BTW that identity is still active--eBay used to give folks like that the boot and fairly quickly, too.

Message 91 of 691
latest reply

Dear Krissy--I suspect from the tone of your post that you are not always right but you think that you are. It is the same with buyers, and I will tell you right now college students have long been the worst abusers.

Say one of them is looking for a textbook, finds several listings on eBay and starts bidding for them, winning five or so in the end.

Said college student then pays for the best deal then blithely goes on his/her way without ever contacting other sellers as to why payment is not coming and never will be.

Each seller has to wait a number of days before filing for the unpaid item, then has to wait another 10 days, then finally eBay cancels the transaction and credits the final value fee to the seller.

Most sellers want to put their listing on, have it sell or not sell, get paid, pack and ship and forget about it.

But not with those buyers.

Message 92 of 691
latest reply

benita.l
Enthusiast

like many of the above, ive only recently had someone who didnt pay. bascially she bidded and expected negotiation after she won the auction and when I said no she changed her mind and decided to not pay. apparently she only bid so she would be reminded of the item as her watch list wasnt working. her last message to me was that she was aware that winning bidders were in a contract to pay but she was also aware that ebay "can cancel transactions so i'm sure you can do that". her condescending attitude really just adds to it! it seems shes done this before. looking at her 100% feedback was of course from her BUYING instead of selling. damn! will consider using another site now because of these types of buyers popping up everywhere expecting sellers to simply cancel the transaction if they change their mind! ebay needs to do more than just put a strike to their name. 

Message 93 of 691
latest reply

We should be able to at least leave negative feedback after we file a claim against buyers who don't pay.  I looked at the feedback of the person who didn't pay for the item and they have multiple negative comments that are positive.  Why is this ebayer still allowed to bid/buy stuff if they are this bad?  Hopefully sellers are filing their claims against these type of buyers.

Message 94 of 691
latest reply

Here's a little reality check for those of you with fantasies of dong a class action law suit...

There was a recent class action suit that was settled, It was  against Bank of America for unfair practice of multiple $35 overdraft fees. I don't know the actual numbers, but let's say the class action was suing them for $20 million. When the case settled, a team of attorneys from one law firm ended up making about $16 million, then they deducted a few million in "court costs, filing fees, travel & lodging costs, etcetera", and in the end they "generously" divided up the rest between many thousands of people that had been overcharged by Bank of America. The size of the checks they mailed out averaged $4.73 per person.

Start a class action suit if you want, the lawyers want to be fed!!! Whether you sue eBay, Ford, General Foods, Walmart or Coca-Cola... they will be writing-off every penny it costs them. If the lawsuit will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling that you have conquered the dragon, fine... have fun.

For me, my time is worth a lot more than a check for $4.73...

Comments?

Message 95 of 691
latest reply

timblins3030
Enthusiast

I'd like to add my 2 cents if I may. Hopefully, I can articulate it well enough to get my point across. As a buyer and now a seller, (just sold my first item last week) I can kind of undertand the reason for negative feedback due to a reason that is happening with me right now.... I won an auction for almost 600 dollars. I sent the money the next day..(maybe it was 34 hours) Regardless..The seller told me he received the funds and made up some excuse he had to fly to the East Coast for a funeral and for his wife to "settle an estate" and it would take 10 days before he could even SHIP the item (not counting delivery time). I contacted paypal to INQUIRE about a refund since I needed the item sooner and with the language barrier from America to Phillipines they filed a dispute. Wow..anyway, after getting that all sorted out, I find out the reason the seller was late shipping was he was on a diving trip to the West Indies and Bahamas!!  I kindly asked him for Positive feedback since I made sure he got his funds, but he now tells me I will get positive feedback IF HE gets positive feedback first!  Well, that's not going to happen. And maybe it is issues like that that eBay made a policy? I can only ASSume.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Message 96 of 691
latest reply

micheler8511
Enthusiast

THIS IS BECAUSE EBAY IS A BUYERS MARKET AND DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SELLERS... AT ALL!!!

Message 97 of 691
latest reply

]:) mine!

Every time an animal finds a forever home, an angel gets their wings. Every time a pet is spayed or neutered, two angels get their wings!
Message 98 of 691
latest reply

I agree. We should all rally/protest together somehow. I'm sick of buyers thinking they can win...then completely ignore you. I always write in a neg feedback just before I close a case. You can't leave any after a case is closed, even if they haven't paid. Ebay makes it very easy for non payers to get away with being non payers. 

Message 99 of 691
latest reply

Something just hit me in the head!  Question...Who's Ebay's main Customer?  Not the Buyers.  The sellers are!!!  The Sellers do all the work to put together listings for the buyers, pay all the fees...Ebay doesn't make money off buyers.  The buyer doesn't pay for anyting when purchasing...except the for the item purchased.  I've had a couple of non-paying buyers last month...one of 'em has been registered for 3 years with 0 feedback... Why are they still registered (so they can make the Sellers Life miserable?).  Wasted my time that I will never get back from the preperation, involvement and patience... Those Idle registery should be removed.  Listen to your CUSTOMERS

Its a chicken/egg argument..if this site only had sellers and no buyers than there's no money made. If they only had buyers but nothing to buy, no money made

Things need to work together..the no negs was started due to sellers leaving retaliatory negs than telling buyers they would file for mutual withdrawal..what ebay needed to do was just investigate that imo..and not go as far as they did..

Id like to see f/b going to a tick mark system. I think that would be better (imo)

No man is an island, except on Ebay.
Message 100 of 691
latest reply

Relatively new to ebay but recently got my first non-payer. Bid on my item then ten minutes later bought a "Buy-it now" item.  Left bid for four days and won it. 

I can partly understand the buyers thinking "I'll probably not win it anyways" and maybe not logging on for a week and seeing the invoice in your email but all I asked for was a little courtesy.  I filed an UPI report and immediately filed an order to cancell transaction which let them off the hook.  All they have to do is respond but no response and I lose that sale and 3 people who wanted the item I can't sell until buyer makes up mind.

-7-day auction to get winning bid

-4 days to find out winner  not paying

-1 day filed UPI

-8 days waiting to hear from buyer

Held hostage.

I asked ebay how many UPI strikes it takes for ebay to termnate a buyer .They said it " all depends and there is no concrete number".

What if a seller refuses to sell to the buyer? How many times would they allow that?

There are "Buyer Blacklists" out there but that isn't the answer.  Opens up to too much abuse.  EG: your buyer puts your name on it for spite.

What I've done recently is checked bidders ratings and blocked them .  I know i may be cutting my own throat but I'd rather not have the headache. I'd rather give the item away to Goodwill.

I'm not a trouble maker but if gets to the point that non-payers are ruining the site the only way to fight back would be to have a seller boycott for lets say a week .  No listing anything. Would make national news and probably tank the stock..

Message 101 of 691
latest reply

Couple more points...

How about not letting buyer buy anything if there is a UPI in force.

How about something logical.. fail to complete a winning auction and pay a fine equal to $25 or 5% of the items selling price (whichever is larger) with 1/2 going to ebay and 1/2 going to seller.

Ebay cold be a great place if it policed everyone with equal diligence.  Non-payers cost me time and money in-effect "fining" me for their non-compliance. 

Message 102 of 691
latest reply

As a responsible adult I couldn't imagine not paying for an item I had won. The promise of a buyer honoring his commitment to pay for an item in a timely manner and a seller to deliver goods stated is the whole foundation of an auction site. Without either one there is anarchy and a general mistrust.

Non-paying buyers and swindling sellers are not customers.  Ebay should treat them as such.

Message 103 of 691
latest reply

Couple more points...

How about not letting buyer buy anything if there is a UPI in force.

How about something logical.. fail to complete a winning auction and pay a fine equal to $25 or 5% of the items selling price (whichever is larger) with 1/2 going to ebay and 1/2 going to seller.

Ebay cold be a great place if it policed everyone with equal diligence.  Non-payers cost me time and money in-effect "fining" me for their non-compliance. 

Then sellers would have to be held to an equal standard..right now if they send an item snad, the buyer returns at their expense, if a seller doesnt want to sell to the buyer they can't be forced to..

I wouldnt want to see a seller restricted or not be able to sell becaus ehe has an INR against him..but if you want to do that to buyers for a UPI then ebay might do the same for sellers with INR's..

Also following your logical guideline of 5% or 25.00...would that be the same solution for a seller who cant find item after the sale, or wont send because it didnt garner enough money, etc 

No man is an island, except on Ebay.
Message 104 of 691
latest reply

"Then sellers would have to be held to an equal standard..right now if they send an item snad, the buyer returns at their expense, if a seller doesnt want to sell to the buyer they can't be forced to..

I wouldnt want to see a seller restricted or not be able to sell becaus ehe has an INR against him..but if you want to do that to buyers for a UPI then ebay might do the same for sellers with INR's.."

An INR where the seller never shipped the item, yes he should be sanctioned.  I'm guessing this is a miniscule number compared to non-payers. Shipped and lost well that's a matter between seller and the carrier.

"Also following your logical guideline of 5% or 25.00...would that be the same solution for a seller who cant find item after the sale, or wont send because it didnt garner enough money, etc."

Agreed. Same crime in my book.  Both broke the contract and both should be fined.  Again I believe non-payers would donate  much more. I don't hear anywhere near as much about INR than I do about UPI.

Message 105 of 691
latest reply