cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't leave negative feedback???

dmc06041969
Thrill-Seeker

I have buyers that never pay and never communicate.  When I go to leave feedback, all I know get are the choices of "positive" or "I'll leave feedback later".  Why can't I leave negative feedback anymore?

Message 1 of 691
latest reply
690 REPLIES 690

Re: I can't leave negative feedback???

I have just had my third non payer in about six months! The three of them had reasonbly high feedback with a 100% rating, I wonder what their rating would really be if sellers could have left feedback. This is misleading and should not be allowed. Bring back the old rating system that was fair to buyers and sellers. I will need to relist again!

Message 406 of 691
latest reply

Same thing has happened to me. But, here is the worst. An overseas buyer did not pay and would not reply. He had a 100% positive feedback. I checked his feedbacks and ever comment said exactly the same. Didn't pay and will not respond. The only alternative the seller had was to post positive and voice the complaint in the comment box.

Message 407 of 691
latest reply

It's very interesting to read your posts, I'm learning a lot. One thing is still not clear to me. I'm currently dealing with a buyer who bid on an item and did not pay. She sent me an email to say she needs a size 8 and did not realize my item was a size 4. She ended the email with "cancel the transaction" (no appologies, no please, etc). I should mention her email was sent 48hrs after the end of the auction.After receiving her email, I've decided to open an "payment not received" case at the resolution centre. From what I understand, the transaction will automatically get cancelled by the resolution centre 4 days after the case was open (if buyer doesn't pay within this timeframe). My question is: by refusing to cancel the transaction and by choosing to go with the "payment not received" option, am I protected from receiving negative feedback? Can the buyer send a negative feedback at the end of the process? I hope what I wrote makes sense...Please excuse the mistakes and misspellings, English is my second language 🙂 Thanks
Message 408 of 691
latest reply

I am a buyer and apparently I cannot leave negative feedback either.  A purchase I made was shipped on the day it was estimated I would receive it.  I contacted the seller after I still did not receive it, and found it had not been "accept" by the post office yet.  When I attempted to leave negative feedback on the seller Ebay removed it.  Just doesn't seem fair.  Think I'll just stop leaving feedback as I see it's as reliable as the product "reviews"

Message 409 of 691
latest reply

@sfortier72 By filing NPB/UPI case, you are protected from negative feedback when the case closes in your favour (in other words buyer did not pay after 4 more days), bu there's no adequate protection if buyer then decides to pay and leave you negative feedback for whatever reason later. 

@aldeabnd Feedback policy states any negative feedback mentioning a case is eligible for removal, there are also a number of other reasons why Ebay will remove it in seller's favour, but usually only happens when the seller reports the negative feedback as eligible for removal.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Message 410 of 691
latest reply

I have experienced a similar issue recently with not being able to leave negative feedback for a buyer who erroneously claimed that the iPhone 3 I sent was "not as described".  This eBay policy unfairly skews transactions in favor of the buyer and doesn't allow proper seller recourse.  

So, I'm going to leave negative feedback here to warn potential buyers/sellers about this user.  This buyer opened up an eBay case against me and complained that the iPhone 3 I sold her had a missing charging cable, crack on the case backing, and was stuck in a recovery loop (which supposedly prevented the phone from accepting her SIM card).  After a little bit of back-and-forth, an inability to determine which SIM card she attempted used, an inability to successfully troubleshoot, and having the buyer admit that the charging cable was indeed included, I agree to give her a full refund plus return shipping, even though I specified in my original return policy that the buyer was expected to pay return shipping.

I received the phone back and gave the buyer a full refund plus $6 shipping.  When I opened the package, I noticed that the case DID NOT have a crack on the back as claimed.  I then put in a U.S. pre-paid T-Mobile SIM card, plugged it into my MacBook, and voila, an iTunes message came up stating, “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked”, “Press continue to setup”.  In other words, it works just fine, and always did.

To be honest, I’m not sure why the buyer sent it back. Maybe they changed their mind about the purchase and decided to make up a story so that I would take it back. Maybe they weren’t technically competent enough to get it to work, though it was simply a matter of putting in a compatible SIM card (which I listed in my original description) and plugging it in to a computer.  If they had simply been upfront with me, I wouldn’t be as upset.  As it was, I wasted $12 of my money in shipping ($6 there and $6 back), in addition to my time, sanity, and reputation.

Buyer/seller beware!

My recent seller experience aside, with all the eBay seller nickel-and-diming that's going on  (with eBay fees, PayPal fees, and excess shipping cost fees that often come out of the seller's pocket) and competition with low-cost Amazon for price and free Prime shipping, it's just not worth it to sell on eBay anymore

Message 411 of 691
latest reply

What you did is just as bad, if not far worse - leaving false positive as a workaround to inability to give negative feedback.

If it ever gets reported, the message will be removed and Ebay will brand YOU (not the buyer, you) with a policy violation strike which pretty much will affect your selling record even more.

Then again, you're considering not to sell on Ebay anymore so it shouldn't affect you that much.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Message 412 of 691
latest reply

Ebay is a joke never i will never use again
Message 413 of 691
latest reply

@ all and OP

I agree that we should be able to leave negative feedback, but since we can't:

1) As @zyonite said, you must open an UPI case - which in your account settings (my account > site preferences > scroll to selling preferrences > unpaid item assistant) and make sure the assistant is enabled. By default it automagically opens a case for you and handles almost everything for you, including closing the case for you. It is set to 4 days by default but it can be changed if for instance you want them to be able to wait on your other auctions so they can make use of one transaction and combined shipping rules. I have mine set to 1 week but I'm manually opening a case for a non paying buyer since one of the same item sent to a paying customer's package got lost (I only had 2 and would rather send a replacement than refund so I'm not out the fees).

2) You can also "report the buyer" on the feedback page

3) Add them to your blocked buyers list (recommended by a HUMAN at ebay cust service). (site map > scroll to selling > scroll to

I blocked a buyer before one of my auctions ended since they had 0 feedback and I didn't want to risk it.

4) Additionally in your preferrences when listing an item, at the way bottom you can select requirements for buyers, if for example they don't have a paypal account or are registered in another country and you don't ship internationally. This will prevent {insert expletive here} buyers from even SEEING your auction in their search results. Not foolproof as someone else said but our options are limited. If you don't sell internationally, check all the boxes. You can also block buyers who have negative feedback scores (-1, -2) though I have no clue how they GET negative feedback scores. I'll find out next time I call cust service.

5) You can make buyer requirements the default by going to my account > site preferences > scroll to selling preferrences >  Buyer Requirements

6) Opt in to the FREE selling manager which is very similar to my ebay but tracks communications with buyers in the event of problems resulting in cases being opened. I just started using this so I don't know details. To opt in go to my account > subscriptions > scroll to ebay selling manager > subscribe to the FREE selling manager. Probably especially useful for high volume sellers but I think anyone could benefit from it.

If I missed anything, follow this link for (slightly) more detailed info. Seller Protection Policies. lt's on my to-do list. 

Most if not ALL of these CANNOT be done from the app or mobile site. But if you're a high voume seller it's worth going to the library or something to get at a desktop computer.

Incidentally I think we should be able to VOTE DOWN useless posts...*ahem* ... Especially if it's the user's FIRST post. The fact that the "report inappropriate content" page has been viewed 168 times at the time of writing says a lot...

You're welcome to message me with selling questions including fees and the free upgrades and selling limits. I haven't been selling that long but I spent a great deal of time figuring out the ridiculously confusing policies that change every 5 minutes. I figured it's better to build a great reputation and understand the fee structure than dig yourself out of a hole later.

~Diane

Message 414 of 691
latest reply

How long was the stated handling time? The default is 3 days, so the seller has 3 days from time of uploading a tracking number to take your item to the post office. However they are NOT REQUIRED to do so. So it's not really fair to leave negative feedback for that. The seller may have had an emergency or other unforeseen issue - car trouble, storms, flooding...which probably is why your feedback was removed.

Also the shipping times are an ESTIMATE. The seller can't help it if the USPS, UPS, FedEx etc screws up. I'm currently having issues with the USPS and I wish I could do more for my buyers.

Don't stop leaving feedback. It's very important for both buyers and sellers. As someone with 70 feedback I would hope you understand that. How do you feel when sellers don't leave feedback for you?

I hope someone benefits from this post since you seem to have already made up your mind.

~D

Message 415 of 691
latest reply

BTW - can we remove Kudos that we whiffed and gave to the wrong post? *blush*

Message 416 of 691
latest reply

[UPDATE] : Regarding Selling Manager, it appears that by subscribing to it you DON'T get some of the perks of using stright up My eBay like auto relist 3x for free - there ARE auto relist options but unless you're a really high volume seller and/or have your own store, it seems to me that it's much easier to incur fees. Store subscribers get 150 (or more - not sure about the new category listing rules since I don't have a store) free listings and have higher selling limits so probably wouldn't notice the difference. But if you still have low selling limits like me (175/$7500/50+50 free listings) you'd really have to watch things like a hawk to make sure you're not incurring fees, since one of your options is to keep relisting until the item is sold. Unsubscribing to Selling Manager appears to restore the 3 free auto relists.

Sorry if I'm writing a ton - just wanted to share my experience so fewer ppl have that "i hate ebay's rules" experience that I had.

I'm also writing a guide to cover all of this stuff that the ebay help system just doesn't go into enough detail about. Follow me and watch for the posting of the guide shortly.

Thx

~D

Message 417 of 691
latest reply

There are a WHOLE LOT of Neg Feedback buyers and we as sellers should be able to "Sock It To Them" BUT with eBay they cator to the buyers which makes sense but with out  us sellers there would be no eBay too RIGHT?. Let us sellers give Neg Feedback to buyers who deserve it

JSC

Message 418 of 691
latest reply

Yea. I get that it was used in retaliation and all. And I get that some buyers would freak out over a seller with eve one or two negatives out of a large number of positives. And I even see how we got here eBay changed things a while ago so that even a few negatives could make them take action against a seller. Then the sellers screamed bloody murder. So they responded to the people payingvtheir salaries and tried to "fix it" additionally, I suspect their marketing people realized sellers with less negatives sell more. And that its not allways q case of the sale going to another buyer. If a buyer perceives eBay sellers as unreliable, they may go to amazon.com, an retailer, a local brick and mortar store, or perhaps even not buy at all. So by making the sellers look better than hey hope to increase sales and therefore fees. Or at least I suspect as much.

The thing is, I never worried too much about a sellers feedback unless it was really bad. In fact between my credit card and eBay's protection guarantees, I'd often take a risk and rarely got burned.I've never lost the entire price. The worst that's happened is that I've had to eat return shipping. Actually, the worst abuses were long ago, when it was totally seller biased, back in the early days. One time I got ripped off for a $1 burger king pokemon kids meal toy. No big fdeal, but I think that was exactly his scam. If you steal 50 bucks from 10 people they will scream pretty loud, but if you steal 1 dollar from 500 people, most will let it go. If I'd screamed loud enough, he probably would have to even refunded me, just to avoid drawing attention.

Another time I both bought a palm pilot upgrade simm.it was supposed to be the one that upgraded your memory and gave you the new is. Instead it was the old one, that was probably shoved in the box when the upgrade was done to someones PDA. The sellers history showed he'd bought it from someone who buys lots of computer gear. So he got ripped off and passed it along. The thing is, I'd realized it just after the auction closed and I'd paid. I did a goigle search for the features in the new os, and it brought up a picture if the new and old simm. I contacted him and he igbotmrwd me and sent it anyway. When I complained to pay pal, he started whining about getting stuck for the auction fees and shipping. ..(like I care, its not what he said it was) Then the really infuriating thing happened, like me it allways did. They made some vague but excuse about not covering minor cosmetic issues and then refused to talk to me anymore. **bleep**. Since when is misrepresenting a your product and sending a worthless castoiff piece of ewaste instead of a100 dolkar upgrade part a "minor cosmetic issue"

These days though its the opposite way. These days, a customer can say, "I bought this pink cell phone case, but I hate things colored pink" and file complaint with pay pal selecting "Item not as described"

and I'll say " but the picture shows a pink cell phone case...

and the listing is titled "the pinkest of pink cell phone cases" with a description that says ,"pink lovers rejoice!!. Now shipping, the pinkest off all pink cell phone cases!! You won't beleive how goddamn pink this thing is. Our previous supplier told us "you just can get pinker than what we are sending you" but we didn't beleive them. So we found another supplier who had an even pinker one made, then insisted they cram even more pink onto.it. When we were done, and the samples came, we took one look and said "holy **bleep** that things seriously pink!
We guarantee that you won't find a pinker cell phone case anywhere or we will not only give you a refund, but you can keep the pink case we sent you, and we will buy you the pinker one as well!. Other than our pinkness warranty however, all sales are final. Be sure you can handle this kind of pink, because unless you can find a case that's even pinker (and were pretty sure ours is hands down by far the pinkest case ever made) once you have bought it, all off its awesome pinkitude is yours. (But of course with this much pink, your never going to want to part with it. You'll take one look at it and say, **bleep** that's pink, hands off, its mine!!"

And the buyer will respond,

"Well I don't like pink the ad was misleading!"

And I'll say, how so, did you find a case pineker than ours. Just let us know where you got it so we can order a sample to verify (and try to reverse engineer how they got one that pink) and as soon as we have verified it, well send you the refund for both pink cases."

And the customer will say "why would I want another partpink case, I hate pink. Your add was misleading.How was I supposed to know it was pink.

and I'll say " well, there was the picture showing 10 identical cell phone cases sitting on a piece if 11x17 paper which had printed on it, in large pink lettters ,which read "this is an actual photograph of these awesomely pink cell phone cases. There's just no mistaking it. These babies got pink for days!!"

Or the listing which used the word pink,or derivatives tof ping, to describe the color of the case around 17 times." Its sort of hard to read into that , that the case your going to be getting, could be,say ... Blue. "

And because pay pal is now all the way at the other extreme, or at least they were when I last sold, before I gave up in disgust, the will refer their decision be which will read "after reviewing the case we have determined that you listing was misleading and that a reasonable person might be misled into making a purchase under the premise that color of the case he was purchasing was in fact not pink"

And I'd be "How do you figure that, there's so much effing pink in that thing, we still have two lab techs and an intern out on disability because one of the cases was left sitting in a beaker of water on a hotplate, and when the water in the beaker boiled dry, it the case over heated, over severly over pressurizing the massive amount of pink we put in the case and itgenerated such extreme pressure that it exploded , instantly pulverizing the beaker, pinking half the lab, as well as the three employees from head to toe, and tragicly sending a jagged fragment of pink flying with such velocity that it penetrated the chest of our head pink chemist Blaise Pinkerton PhD, killing him instantly.and leaving behind his three young daughters , Petunia,Begonia and Fuschia Pinkerton, and his grieving widow, Linnea Pinkerton (Pinkie to her friends) So the suggestion that there's any POSSIBLE way that these pinkadelic cases could possibly be mistaken for something other color, lacking intrinsic pinkness, is not just absurd, its extremely i insulting to the late Dr Pinkerton, and just strait up offensive to his poor widow, and his three little girls who have been up all night crying their now pink and bloodshot eyes out, wondering how they will get by without their father.(and to make matters worse, their was so much pink released into the lab, they have to have a closed casket funeral, because he was exposed to such high levels of pink, he is color can clearly and unambiguously be seen as pink from as far back as the last row of seats. So unless he by some miracle found a pinker phone, or his is somehow defective, (for example, if the case is getting hot and swelling that can indicate that the pink is destabilizing and decomposing, for instance due to dropping the case or bumping it against a walk or piece of furniture. If that happens, do t touch it, just leave it where it is and get out of the room quickly because it could explode pinking as much as a 20' radius and anyone whose standing around it could be dangerously pinked)

"And PayPal will say " our decions are final" then they will refund him his money and refuse to answer my emails.
Message 419 of 691
latest reply

I was just a victim of a buyer who sells too, and they recently bought from mulitple sellers and systematically gave us all negative feedback to make their competition look bad.

I reported it to ebay, they don't care.

Message 420 of 691
latest reply