eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Help! I was robbed by eBay & buyer! Again!

I’ve just about HAD IT with eBay! Once again, I’ve gotten screwed as a seller! This is a long post, but it’s another example of a seller being raped by a customer & by eBay! Here's my story:

I recently auctioned off an 18lb lot of mixed jewelry. I described the contents in great detail & added 24 pictures. I started the bidding at 99 cents! There were a couple of pieces of fine jewelry (gold & silver) which I described in detail & provided detailed pictures. I stated no returns because of the risk of the buyer stealing jewelry & sending the rest back to me! Also, a no return policy protects me from buyer’s remorse. Absolutely everything mentioned in the auction ad and shown in the pictures were included in the packages I sent to the winning buyer. Well, my buyer claimed that there was no silver or gold in the lot! Then she said that she assumed a pair of vintage 14kt gold rhinestone earrings were diamonds! (I thought she said there wasn’t any gold?)  Then she said I scammed her & put 14kt gold backs on fake earrings! The backing screwed onto the stud of these very old earrings so you KNOW they go together! I tried to communicate with the buyer, I emailed her detailed pictures of the items she claimed she didn’t receive (I thought maybe she overlooked them.) After a lot of back & forth communication, it sounded to me like this was a case of buyer’s remorse! She chose to bid on the amount she bid! I can’t help how high the bids go! Well, she opened up a case against me.

eBay contacted me via “messages” to inform me of the open case. I was told I would be contacted by phone within 72 hours, but the call never came. I was also told the buyer was required to provide a police report (sale was over $1000), but I never saw it. I had to call customer service twice & I emailed several times to be updated on the case but still I got no answers! eBay didn’t get back to me!

When I called (again) & finally got thru to an eBay rep & stated my concerns about theft & I was told by an eBay customer service representative that if the package weighs less on return then when I sent it out, I can file a complaint. Really? I don’t think the removal of a few pieces of jewelry is going to make any difference in the weight of an 18lb package! I also asked the rep if I was going to get a chance to reply to this claim (give my side of the story.) I was told someone would call me. Then I heard nothing for a few days. Then I get an email saying I lost the case! The buyer won! I said no refunds, yet the item is being returned & I have to refund the buyers money because eBay decided so. I never had a chance to provide my side of the story or provide evidence that the buyer was lying!

Well, I get the huge package back and, of course, things are missing!

I understand that eBay wants people to have a good buying experience & protects them. I get that because I buy a lot of stuff myself. But eBay needs to remember that the SELLER is a customer too! I pay eBay approximately $150-$200 in fees monthly from my store, but eBay doesn’t provide me with the support or protection that I need! I feel like eBay doesn’t care about me as a seller at all & that makes me very unhappy! eBay needs to have the seller’s back too! Who’s protecting us? I’m feeling very wary about doing business on eBay if eBay isn’t going to stand behind their sellers.

I really hope eBay changes some of its policies & makes the playing field more level for buyers AND sellers: both sides deserve a safe, satisfying transaction. After all, it takes both kinds of eBayers to have a successful auction.

Any advice on how to sell a large lot of jewelry (or whatever) & protect myself from this happening again? Help!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Help! I was robbed by eBay & buyer! Again!

in reply to meggells

I have come to the conclusion through the stories posted here and my own experience that as a seller you can't win. Our (the sellers) hands are tied, and the buyer has total control. I have been so discouraged I have not sold since Christmas. I have been selling part time (mostly during the holiday season) for 12 years so I have quite a "stock" in my basement for selling. I am currently purging my stash and selling some on Etsy/Ecrater and the rest will be consigned to an auction. Yea I'm sure I don't bring enough money into Ebay that I will be missed, but if enough sellers keep leaving eventually it's going to affect Ebay. Ebay has no seller protection and that has had more of a negative effect than the continuing climbing Ebay fees.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

You need to call Ebay and talk to them. Tell them what happened. If you took Paypal, contact them. There is nothing the Postal Service can do since the package was opened and remailed. I would seriously back a few bucks and talk to a lawyer or your Attty Generals Office. Did you know your AG has free legal services? They will gladly help you or point you in the right direction. After 12 yrs, I too am closing my store. I had so much fraud via Buyers last Christmas that I don't think I can do it anymore. And I mean flagrant fraud, and it still took weeks for Ebay to respond to it. Pathetic

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

Ebay robs the sellers moreso than the buyers, I have been ripped off so many times in the last year that I am looking for a new listing agent.

Ebay has absolutely no seller protection whatsoever, I hope enough of us leave that it will bring the giant to its knees

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

Ebay always dumps on sellers.I HATE the way they control media rates.The way they...The way they....The way they...

I've eaten it so many times I'm getting sort of a "stolkholm syndrome" or whatever.

Stick a zoomed in shot of hallmarks clustered together next time....that'll learn'm.

~Jeff

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

I'm sorry to tell you but forget eBay, as it's over.   As you can see by my large feedback, used to sell when eBay was fair.

What happened is that the CEO Meg Whitman sold out to illegal copyright infrigement.   It was too tenmpting to her and she went home with hundreds of millions in illegal money, but she still has it so she won.

All of the rest of us lose.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

eBay used to be a fair platform and that is what brought it public.   I was at the Los Angeles forum where Meg Whitman eluded that Elan Musk would take over Billpoint with Paypal.   Now Elan is exploring space and who knows what Meg Whitman is doing with the billions she stole from copyright infringement.   She should be in prison.

Please use plain text.
zyonite
Community Member

in reply to meggells

Forum experience tells me that listings with terms like 'no returns' and worse, 'no refunds', usually opens up to more issues with buyers. That aside, Ebay doesn't differentiate between item not as described or buyer's remorse when it comes to SNAD case, as long as buyer states that the item is different to what he/she preceives.

You're better off selling each piece of jewelry individually (or at least in groups of several pieces with photos of every jewelry for each listing made), even though it will require a lot of time, it's better than selling in bulk without sufficient description since it reduces the chance that buyer will complain about not getting things that he/she assumed will be getting.

Also, Ebay's buyer protection will always trump over 'no refunds' policy, so try to avoid any terms close to that. It makes sense too, if Ebay tolerates 'no refunds', seller could be selling expensive items and sends buyers a brick and buyers can't do anything about it, now that is not OK.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

Ebay are thieves.   Meg Whitman made millions on illegal sales of music and cd's.

And she quit and walked away with all the illegal money.

So you are saying that eBay is screwing you?   Yeah, that is what they do to make money.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

There is alot of EBAY member that are thieves and recently taking advantage of the "EBAY BUYER PROTECTION PLAN" at your , the seller, expense. Because of ebays policies I don't sell or ship overseas nomore and as a result my sales has dropped and dwindled. I am back to broke ass status. Ebay buyer protection plan is a tool for thieves.

I can only advise you to APPEAL THE CASE BY PHONE for the next 3 days in frustration and hope that someone on the panel will side with you, just a as I did.

Hang in there.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

I could tell by the last several cases I've gave a refund on that these buyers knew how to scam the seller and do it all the time because they know they can get away with it. I have stopped listing in several catagories because of it, you learn what not to list on E-Bay after being taken by dis-honest buyers. You don't know about the scams because E-bay protects them by not letting you give negative feedback so you are in the dark to their scams. I have one of those right now playing on E-Bay to try to get a full refund. Again I will never list in that catagory again because I have been scammed on almost everthing I listed. My worse offenders always live in California,the item never gets there unbroken go figure.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

eBay is a  bunch of PIGS they don't care about you, the working man or the working woman. You want proof? "What happen to Cash Back Bonus" everytime you made a purchase the money you earned before they shut in down and put the money you earned on your purchases in there pocket, and there is nothing you can do.....Frank from Massachusetts

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

I started selling on eBay 6 weeks ago. Out of my first 11 sells   two sells was Paypal reverse

charged.  Because of this my bank account was over drafted . so not only was i robbed 30 dollars , i had to pay another 35 dollars i didn't have to my bank all the while the two buyers who robbed me got a refund and stole my items.  I don't know what i,m going to do except stop selling as soon as i can afford it. I had high hopes as a seller .  and this is starting to ruin everything.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

5200074824_devil on computer.gif
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

Hi, I don't know what your proof is with regards to being ripped by this customer, but how a case turns out depends a lot on that.  Ebay most definitely leans on the side of the Buyer in most actions & I can understand that to a degree, but a Seller certainly deserves more than what they are getting from Ebay.   Ebay seems to forget who pays them....the Seller! and we do deserve more!   I was recently ripped too by a Buyer, but part of the problem was me.  I accidently made the mistake of sending out a package on 3 auctions before I was paid.  I had Delivery Confirmation with proof the package was delivered.  Once the Buyer had his package, I saw no payment or response to any of my attempts to contact this person.  I thought I would wait it out and see if Ebay's beleif of Community Values would prevail in the end.  On the 33rd day, I attempted to file a complaint with Ebay & was told that the deadline for Sellers is 32 days.....not 45 days like it is for Buyers!  Nothing they can do.  Seems to me the deadline should be equally fair for both Sellers and Buyers!   The only thing I can do through Ebay is post negative comments on this Buyers FB, but his FB will still indicate a 100% FB rating!   Then if I do that, what's to stop him from giving me 3 negative feedbacks in retaliation?!   My score is then compromised & this thief's is not.   My only recourse (and perhaps yours - depending on case proof) is to file a complaint with www.ic3.gov

They work in parternship with the FBI and the Nat'l White Collar Crime Center to investigate internet crime / complaints.   I've got my evidence, so I am filing a complaint & perhaps this is an option for you (?).   If ic3 gets enought complaints, perhaps they might see the necessity to put enough pressure on Ebay to review & change some of their rules as it pertains to Seller Protecton.   I'm sure ic3 has better things to do than to listen to disgruntled ebay Sellers or Buyers & they just might consider discussions with Ebay!  Good Luck!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to meggells

I sold a wedding ring set to a buyer, her user name is .  The set consisted of two rings. A Halo engagement ring, and a wedding band that contours around the halo of the ring. When the set was packed and shipped. TWO rings were in the envelope. The rings are tied together with a plastic tag, that can not be torn, but in order to separate them, scissors have to be used to cut it off.
This ring would look beautiful with two contour bands around it, however it only comes with one.  The set is never sold separately.  This buyer puts a claim in saying she only received the engagement ring.. impossible as I know what was in that envelope when packed and shipped.  I am honest seller, with 100% feedback, and have been with ebay since 2001.  I very rarely have problems with anyone.  This buyer tried to scam another ring off of me, and I was not going to deal with that!! Ebay refunded this buyer AND she has my rings!!! Ebay refused to make her send the rings back to me. I am out of money and merchandise!

I am going to contact the Attorney General, and the US Justice Department.  I know that there are many Sellers this has happened too!  When Ebay takes it upon themselves to refund the buyer and then expects you to pay them, they are in fact  an Assessory to Theft!  Last time I looked it is illegal to steal from others!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meggells

i'm going to start by saying:

ebay does not call sellers about cases

buyers are not required to provide police reports

when you talked to ebay CS, did they say 

anything about the above?

that said:

selling a large lot of jewelry like that

with real gold and silver mixed in

is asking for trouble.

you should have separated the precious metals 

and sold separately.

i would break into smaller lots 

because of the cost of shipping an 18 lb package 

plus hopefully insurance to protect yourself.

since you did not get back what you sold,

YOU should file a police report

AND a mail fraud report.

i've been buying / selling on ebay for almost 16 years,

and its still an everyday challenge to protect myself,

keep ahead of the scammers, and keep up with policy changes.

Please use plain text.