cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program probably is a scam?

I am from Thailand & I recently made a purchase of an item from ebay using the Global Shipping Program. It is a Bose speaker.

I was in doubt in the first place and sent an email to ebay support to double confirmed about the claim that I do not need to pay any custom charges as I've paid them upfront with the Global Shipping Program. I was assured that I need not to pay anything extra upon delivery.

The package reached Fedex Thailand facility on 2 October and amazingly Fedex Thailand seems mixed up the package with other package that my company used to order using Fedex service. I was told that I need to get a forwarder to clear the packageon my own which after that I got one of my colleague to speak with the customer service and got it sort out. YES! They miss-understood the package and thought it was some aircraft spare part. OH My... these Fedex dudes work like robot and don't even read the item description on the shipping slip! 

And the next nightmare came, the package was hold 'in cage' by customs of Thailand, which I believe this was caused by Fedex as they 'thought' it was aircraft spare part. Anyhow, 7 days later, as of today, after numerous calls to Fedex Thailand, which seems like having different personnel picking the calls and no one really following up on this case; today I received a slip of custom charges at THB7829.15 (about USD250). Not forgetting to mention that in Fedex tracking system, the package was noted as released from customs on 3 October and signed, received by consignee on 4 OCT!!! is this a way on how Fedex Thailand keep up their KPIs?

So the question now is, I have black and white email proof from ebay customer services assuring me that I DO NOT need to pay anything else upon delivery of my item, and yet I still get charged for this ridiculous custom charges which in the first place I will not bought the item from ebay if it wasn't the assurance given.

I have wrote to ebay again and hopefully they will revert me soonest with the so called 'solution' to this case. Till then, for those buyers outside of US who is in doubt about Global Shipping Program, especially those in Thailand, please take note, IT IS NOT WORKING AS IT IS CLAIMED by ebay. and to Fedex Thailand, you sucks.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Global Shipping Program probably is a scam?

The don't help the buyers because they are ripping off the buyers with the GSP.  The sellers are not getting more buyers, they are losing buyers.  What a crock of you know what.

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

it is scam. that is a fact. they charge custom duty for items that are exempt of custom duty. antique car parts for example are exempt in germany. and not only that, their charges are much, MUCH higher than actual custom duty. THIS IS DOWNRIGHT FRAUD. DO YOU HEAR ME EBAY PEOPLE??????

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

I am from New Zealand and have over 1600 positive feedbacks. I will not feed eBays greedy thieving pockets by using GSP. The worst I saw was $20.00 to post a postcard in an envelope. I had a small box with a transistor posted to me with $12.00 postage on the box, I paid the seller $15.00 Great !!!! Next time same seller using GSP was 65.00. Seller said "oh I did not realize, that explains why my customers were winning auctions and then cancelling sales before paying." Sellers beware - Sensible buyers do not use GSP unless your item is under-valued. Yes you get less and eBay pockets more. (what should have been your profit) GSP cuts out lots of prospective buyers (who do not want eBay to steel from them) so less people bidding means you get less for your product.
I asked to purchase item from person but not use GSP They said it was being used because it was easy. It never sold and was relisted 4 times. They relisted it with normal postage It sold and had a few bids Sadly I missed out (it sold for more than the buy now they had when listing with GSP) Note - it never even had one bid using GSP.
Note also that the so called duties and taxes included in payment are just eBay lies Lots of countries have none that means we are paying for nothing No wonder eBay is too embarrassed to show a breakdown of costs It would clearly show them to be the cheats that they are - could it be fraud?????

@eccentrics99 wrote:

I am from Thailand & I recently made a purchase of an item from ebay using the Global Shipping Program. It is a Bose speaker.

I was in doubt in the first place and sent an email to ebay support to double confirmed about the claim that I do not need to pay any custom charges as I've paid them upfront with the Global Shipping Program. I was assured that I need not to pay anything extra upon delivery.

The package reached Fedex Thailand facility on 2 October and amazingly Fedex Thailand seems mixed up the package with other package that my company used to order using Fedex service. I was told that I need to get a forwarder to clear the packageon my own which after that I got one of my colleague to speak with the customer service and got it sort out. YES! They miss-understood the package and thought it was some aircraft spare part. OH My... these Fedex dudes work like robot and don't even read the item description on the shipping slip! 

And the next nightmare came, the package was hold 'in cage' by customs of Thailand, which I believe this was caused by Fedex as they 'thought' it was aircraft spare part. Anyhow, 7 days later, as of today, after numerous calls to Fedex Thailand, which seems like having different personnel picking the calls and no one really following up on this case; today I received a slip of custom charges at THB7829.15 (about USD250). Not forgetting to mention that in Fedex tracking system, the package was noted as released from customs on 3 October and signed, received by consignee on 4 OCT!!! is this a way on how Fedex Thailand keep up their KPIs?

So the question now is, I have black and white email proof from ebay customer services assuring me that I DO NOT need to pay anything else upon delivery of my item, and yet I still get charged for this ridiculous custom charges which in the first place I will not bought the item from ebay if it wasn't the assurance given.

I have wrote to ebay again and hopefully they will revert me soonest with the so called 'solution' to this case. Till then, for those buyers outside of US who is in doubt about Global Shipping Program, especially those in Thailand, please take note, IT IS NOT WORKING AS IT IS CLAIMED by ebay. and to Fedex Thailand, you sucks.

Message 33 of 57
latest reply

I am from New Zealand and have over 1600 positive feedbacks. I will not feed eBays greedy thieving pockets by using GSP. The worst I saw was $20.00 to post a postcard in an envelope. I had a small box with a transistor posted to me with $12.00 postage on the box, I paid the seller $15.00 Great !!!! Next time same seller using GSP was 65.00. Seller said "oh I did not realize, that explains why my customers were winning auctions and then cancelling sales before paying." Sellers beware - Sensible buyers do not use GSP unless your item is under-valued. Yes you get less and eBay pockets more. (what should have been your profit) GSP cuts out lots of prospective buyers (who do not want eBay to steel from them) so less people bidding means you get less for your product.
I asked to purchase item from person but not use GSP They said it was being used because it was easy. It never sold and was relisted 4 times. They relisted it with normal postage It sold and had a few bids Sadly I missed out (it sold for more than the buy now they had when listing with GSP) Note - it never even had one bid using GSP.
Note also that the so called duties and taxes included in payment are just eBay lies Lots of countries have none that means we are paying for nothing No wonder eBay is too embarrassed to show a breakdown of costs It would clearly show them to be the cheats that they are - could it be fraud?????

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

Right on! I stay away from any seller who uses this scam 'Global Shipping Program'. Don't need it thank you.

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

I HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO THE OVERWHELMING GREED OF EBAY. I have just bought something from the USA and have had to pay an extra $70 in arbitrary charges levied by ebay under the guise of Customs Duty in the UK. This is pure & simple total BS. The items in question are not subject to any duty from the UK Customs. I was pressed ganged into paying this $ 70 when the item arrived (in the UK), had I not done so then it would have not been released by the Customs and would have disappeared into a big black hole.....similar to the BIG BLACK HOLE THAT EBAY HAS FOR POCKETS. Long story short....the seller in the US sent the item to me using the GSP (Global Shipping Program). Today I have emailed the seller and told him that I am returning the item to him at his expense and expect him to make a Full and Complete Refund to my PayPal account. In addition I am also placing the matter in the hands of my Lawyer for their legal opinion.....as I believe this is a Scam by ebay and is totally illegal

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

I agree this is a complete ripoff. I don't sell on e-bay but I'm a buyer, and I refuse to buy or bid when I see a seller is implementing the Global Shipping Program.

The cost is often multiple times the normal cost of simply shipping first class.

I'm in the UK, and in the case of items being sold from, for example, the United States, the GSP claims to "include" the customs fee. Well, what US sellers may not know is that a UK buyer will only be asked to pay a customs fee if the item they purchase is of a value of over £15 -- fifteen Pounds Stirling. And even then, this is collected by the Royal Mail postal service, by way of putting a note through your door telling you to come and pay your customs charge and collect your package.

I've seen the GSP applied to items whose selling price or final bid does not amount to a selling price / value of £15, meaning that if  I won/bought that item, my postal service would apply ZERO customs fees upon delivery, because the final selling price is less than the cut-off value that would incur a customs fee.  Yet the seller has applied GSP "including customs fees" and the shipping costs are beyond all proportion, including that "included" customs fee that isn't even applicable in certain cases.

Sellers, you really need to be aware that GSP is a ripoff inflation of shipping and custom fees that very often wouldn't even be necessary. Please do not apply it to your listings. As a Buyer I now avoid any listing with it on there.

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

Me too, bought a pair of used high end boots for $299 and had to pay $119.
I've been a member of eBay since 1998. I live here in thailand now and I hate GSP.
I shipped a lot of stuff overseas when in states using priority international and never had a problem. Went back to states for a while and sold something to Canada and ended up back on my door step and I had to pay for shipping again. The buyer was not happy either. It takes double the time to receive an item here also.
Plus they don't ship to PO box. Did I say I hate GSP?
Message 38 of 57
latest reply

One other thing, ask seller to ship as gift and value $30.
**ck ebays rules, you won't get in trouble.
Message 39 of 57
latest reply

Agreed, UK sellers seem unaware that they need to opt out if the GS scam.
Message 40 of 57
latest reply

Complete RIP OFF!!!

Ebay has gone from a great global selling platform to nothing but a faceless rip-off for buyers and sellers.

As soon as I Global Shipping Program mentioned in an auction I just move on - doesn't matter how much I want something I won't be ripped by Ebay's grab for cash.

I sure hope someone starts a new site that brings buyers and sellers together with some decent customers service - would love to see Ebay sink in the cesspit of their own greed!!.

Pointless even asking Ebay to end the Global Shipping Program they don't listen to their customers anymore.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

I was unaware until lately that this was going on.  Several customers have told me and it is a real perdictament. I tried to avoid global for a year or so and my international sales just plummeted.  I think our items are prevented from being shown internationally if we don't offer global? Thoughts?

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

I agree with the multiple postings that are highly critical of this zero-value (apart from Ebay)program. The actual airmail costs in my case are about triple the cost of regular airmail UK-USA and apart from the downside of a complex return process, the actual shipping time is also extended. In my case, the values do not normally attract tax and only one item in over 1500 shipments has been held in customs. This was at the UK end.

From both the buyers and sellers points of view, the cost and transit delay inhibit the sale and are bad for business. I can't imagine how this is good for Ebay either. In my experience, as soon as the UK seller is aware of the huge downsides to participating in this program, they pull out. As a seller I would never contemplate participation.

Hopefully, Ebay will see the eror of their ways and scratch this awful program. If not, maybe a more customer-sensitive alternative will emerge in the fullness of time.

I am not aware of any attempt on the USA side of the pond to impose the program on sellers. Should such an attempt be made, I would image that class action suits would quickly follow.

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

Yes ebay glbal shipping criminals.

One small toy soldier cost $16 to post ebay global shipping $45, if you buy 2 seller cannot combine global does it, they then add more

and charge $69 US shipping 2 small toy soldiers, cancelled order, not buying from any seller that uses this from now on, ebay makes money here, makes money on pay pal and makes  money shipping a business that began well are now crooks

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

Could not agree more. complete rip off!!!!!
Message 45 of 57
latest reply