cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

ape-man
Enthusiast

With the new rules and control Ebay and Paypal are trying to enforce on sellers, not only are they losing the long time seller's from when Ebay began, but thru word of mouth, would be new seller's do not want to go into this marketplace now.  High fees, no regard for the seller who make's their money in the first place.

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Add me to this list - the Fees are getting ridiculous  - and whatever happened to SELLER protection  - especially Sellers with a proven track record!!!  I find myself selling much less on ebay and doing more on Craigslist and other sites.

Its sad..

Message 2 of 141
latest reply

teawithabumblebee
Enthusiast

I agree, I'm soo angry right now. After this case, I will be gladly deleting my Ebay account.

Message 3 of 141
latest reply

And beside eBay's high fees, they obviously cater to the large commercial sellers who list stuff dirt cheap.  I can't compete with Sellers pricing their stuff at less than what I pay for items.  eBay has just gotten too greedy and does not care about the small sellers that made their site popular to begin with. 

Message 4 of 141
latest reply

benmichelvintage
Enthusiast

Ebay and Pay Pal are like "Big Brother".

More new rules for coin dealers. It's a good thing there are other places to sell.

Message 5 of 141
latest reply

This note pad that I am typing on is just an example of bad software and bad policy on eBays  site.  Just tried to turn off italics it keeps coming back so I will complete my thoughts and try ignoring the italics.  

I sell mostly toy trains, my fathers hugh collection and some photo equipment used by my father and myself, usually only one each of an item.  I know the field and technology in the catagories that I sell in.  Recently I received the message from ebay that soon they will start favoring items in their search that contain Item Specifics. I do not know about all categories on ebay but in the area of Toy trains and Photographic equipment The item specifics on file with eBay are not nearly complete enough to be forced on the community. Take a simple item such as a 50mm F1.4 Nikon lens. There are around 30 iterations of that one lens and the TurboLister software tries to force you to accept specifics that do not match your item. This is a law suit looking for a place to happen. Last night I spent over two hours trying to get around incorrect item specific that were trying to force me to use them in order to upload my ad.  I see other sellers especially low volume sellers and new sellers with incorrect item specifics as often as I see correct item specifics.  Item Specifics are not saving me time rather they are costing me hours. If anyone from eBay is reading this, your data base is not ten percent of what it needs to be if you are going to require sellers to use it.  Lets say that by some quirk you are able to fill in all the gaps you now have. That still does not relieve me of having to write a detailed description of all used items I sell.  I will still need to take the time to search through your data base then write a unique description for my specific item. By the way, I write very accurate detailed descriptions with 5 stars for my descriptions.  In the end you have cost me greatly, often doubling the time it takes to list an item. If you want to run off all the small sellers stop trying to legislate us out one new rule and one new fee at a time just say, sell 100K per month or get lost.  If things don't move in the right direction soon I will get lost on my own.   Fix TurboLister !   It sux !       johnacton2k

Message 6 of 141
latest reply

sekisui101
Enthusiast

@johnacton2k

"Recently I received the message from ebay that soon they will start favoring items in their search that contain Item Specifics."

eGreed is looking to become like Amazon. Here is some news for you ebay: a day late and a dollar short.

eGreed, take notes

1. Most items can be found cheaper and new on Amazon and other sites.

2. PP now reports sales to IRS (1099-K) if:

'$20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year AND 200 payments for goods or services in the same year'

both have to be reached link

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W

this alone will drive sellers out. I could not imagine doing for example let's say a tax return for 1000 transactions with $25k in sales! pure madness,

eGreed cut + PP cut + Gov cut = GET A JOB AT McDonalds it will pay more per/hr!

eGreed fees and total disregard for small/med sellers, IRS and buyer is ALWAYS RIGHT EVEN IF WRONG = END OF eGeed RIP

for the love of god, eGreed spell checker dose not even recognize word eBay!

Message 7 of 141
latest reply

sekisui101
Enthusiast

just a follow up to new IRS rules:

quote:

How is the $20,000 calculated? Will it be calculated based on net or gross transaction earnings?

As required by IRC 6050W, the $20,000 will be calculated by looking at a seller’s gross payment volume for sales of goods or services. Gross amount means that any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discounts, fees, refunded amounts or any other amounts will not be netted out.

In addition, the reported amount will include any shipping and handling, sales tax or other fees which are included in payments you receive. We realize that these amounts may or may not be included in your taxable income, but we are required to report them. You should work with your tax advisor to determine how these items should be treated for tax purposes.

PP will not even remove fees!

1000 transactions, $25k in sales or 2000 transactions and $50k in sales, good luck preparing this return!

Get good accountant and Excellent lawyer!

Message 8 of 141
latest reply

I have a Question. So I have been selling on e-bay since 2009 and have establish my store on e-bay. I of couse use Pay Pal as a method of payment and have just recently got Merchant Services and would like to add that to my method of payment along with the pay pal. I have a lot of people that e-mail me and do not want to use pay pal. How do I add this type of payment to my account.

Or better yet can I do it?

Onestopcelloshop12

Message 9 of 141
latest reply

@ onestopcellshop. Here is the link to answer your question. http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/checkout-preferences.html

Message 10 of 141
latest reply

I have been a long time seller and I am considering moving on.  The feedback system is now put the seller at a huge disadvantage.  The fees are high but the feedback is horrible. Ie..Buyer can leave negative for no reason what so ever and the seller can not leave anything but positive for them.  You can try to have ebay reverse the negative but all the seller has to say is the they still want it to be negative and it will stay.  Ebay even states to respect the decision of the buyer.  This is simply wrong. 

Message 11 of 141
latest reply

eBay just does not care anymore.  I have been a full time seller on eBay for nearly 15 years.  Business is at an all time low.  eBay at one time had great customer service.  Now questions to eBay regarding problems, technical issues or this lack of business go unanswered.  Have sent queries from the CEO to lower parts of the food chain asking for help regarding lack of customer service and have not gotten one response.  They do not give a crap anymore.  Two of the largest, longtime sellers in one of my categories have gotten sick of rotten business and lack of customer care have packed it in and moved on.  Trying my best to hang on for business reasons, but not sure if we are going to make or even want to make it under the current conditions and the poor climate eBay is promoting with the sellers.  Handwriting is on the wall and sadly it only seems to be a matter of time.  Hope they get a clue before it is to late.

Message 12 of 141
latest reply

Personally, I've already closed my store and moved my listings eBid. Depending on your products, there are quite a few other venues for selling.

The bottom line is STOP SELLING ON EBAY and just as important, STOP BUYING ON EBAY. It's the only power you have that will make any difference. In the long run, either eBay will change or you'll be happy with the new venue and you win either way.

Message 13 of 141
latest reply

Thanks, just opened account on eBid.

Message 14 of 141
latest reply

steviastore
Enthusiast

I have a credit score +680, seller for 8 years. +100K in sales/year. Never late on any bill.

Feedback 99%. Because of DSR low in shipping time (I ship within 24 hs) I was knocked off.

Competitors mafia overcharging customers and profiting $$$$$ want me out?? I bet they do and they kicked me out with their friends/paralel account leaving + feedback and low shipping time on DSR.

What a  perfect crime my friends!

My response to Ebay:

A- Sellers are connected to hundreds of customer via social sites and websites.

B- Sellers know how to create and drive traffic to listings.

C- Amazon, Bonanza, Ebid getting the main traffic now.

D- DSR is not perfect and confusing. 99% of buyers don't understand it (the basis in user experience) and contributes to kick sellers out (just need 2 regular buyers/100 that might leave low DSR but + feedback an a seller is out).

As a seller:

1) I don't buy on Ebay since 2010. I buy on AMAZON and BONANZA.

2) I drove all my customers to my website and AMZN listings.

3) I always talk about AMZN to people and how amazing they are.

4) Ebay is losing traffic, income and advertisement... unlike my AMZN and my website.

Ebay, you never saw it coming.

Kind regards

Message 15 of 141
latest reply