eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

in reply to steviastore

Looked into Amazon -their rates are much higher for selling than e-bay.I could not see selling on Amazon- great place to shop.

Please use plain text.
8525anne
Community Member

in reply to lovie987

Maybe we shouldn't continue! I am seriously considering leaving ebay!

Please use plain text.
8525anne
Community Member

in reply to 20thcenturyrox

Can hardly believe I hadn't realised that I was being had! I only charge EXACTLY what it costs in P&P and then ebay charge me a fee! I am now exloring other selling options!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mcocker
Ebay is driving away competitive sellers and not maintaining customers. After a long hiatus, I decided to sell a couple of 1950's & 1960's 'white elephants' from our shelves on ebay, both to clean up the house and generate a little cash. However, after selling one item for $3 and paying the $2.80 insertion and valuation fees, and other fees that I have no idea where they come from, I've decided to just give the stuff to Goodwill. What a waste of time [ha, ha, laugh!!] Whatever happened to the old ebay, like from a long time ago? I actually had a lot of old coins and tokens I wanted to sell. Really, it's just not worth my time, especially with these ridiculous fees. In short, I'll just leave some of the old stuff in the drawers, the rest of the **bleep** will go in the garbage, recycle or to Goodwill. What a joke of a company. Most American corporations seem to be run like this now. Decision lock, Escalation of commitment, and totally disfunctional board rooms of amorale, vanilla crackers on presciption medications. You crackers need to get off the meds, grow a pair, and learn how to run a company.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to skcess

No one in there right mind should be selling on Ebay . They are losing sellers every day and either they don't care or they are stupid. I think that the person that bought Ebay just has lots of money and no brains on how to please everyone. No sellers then no buyers HELLO They are definitely making a mess sitting in their office just thinking up rules that don't work.  If they want to sink they are doing a GREAT j0b

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to skcess

I'm one from 1998 and I work a lot harder now and make less.  Ebay does not care about you, skcess...get that through your head.  Took me some time to get it, but I get it now.  It's like my stepfather, who is brilliant at being a CEO of a major scientific corporation.  HE thinks he knows everything, his fecal matter smells like blueberry pie...but we in the family know his inner secrets and he's a nightmare behind the Stanford MBA.  His financial life is in turmoil, divorces, can't make life and social decisions without the help of the "common folk"...that's ebay now.  They think they have it down, making billions per year...they don't need us commoners telling them anything.  So I don't tell them how to do anything.  I use them, they use me, neither one cares as Bob Seger used to sing.  My analogy is a bit harsher...I am their whore, they are my pimp...we use each other for our own goals but hate each other openly.

Please use plain text.
bodynsoul2813
Community Member

in reply to looneyjl

An even better idea, don't sell or buy! Just keep the account open. This is what I plan to do when my current listings expire. They will finally get the idea if enough members do it. Mostly due to postage rates, thrifty buyers are shopping local consignment shops. With postal rates almost equaling the selling price in many cases, buyers are feeling they are not getting a bargain. In the past two weeks I have listed over 2 dozen nice, brand name items my 4 year old girl has outgrown with great photos and low starting bids.  They just aren't bidding like they did even a year ago. If I list at eBay's suggested starting price of .99 cents, buyers just watch and at the last minute, go in and bid .99, win it, and I am left with selling an item that is almost new and worth $15 or more for .99! Not even worth my time and "gave" the item away!

If I place a reserve price, eBay charges me more and a "buy it now" listing just sets there. I see a big difference in traffic in the past year. Out of all my listings, I have sold 5 and for not much more than the starting bid. And on top of that two are unpaid items for over a week with no response!! One of which, I have opened a case on. I really believe there is a slow death underway for eBay except for the Asian market. What else is new?

For smaller sellers with only a few items, I have friends who are using FaceBook. They list only an item or two a week with photos, and meet the buyers at a local mall or parking lot and sell from there. The interested buyer just responds to the post with "I Want It". No auctions, but if the price is fair, things are selling. Not as many scams as Craig's List.

As for Amazon, I haven't sold with Amazon, but plan to give it a try. I am a Prime member and have purchased items and never been disappointed!

And for those sellers who have handmade crafts, Etsy is doing very well! There are other markets on the horizon...it's just a matter of time.

Please use plain text.
leonzb
Community Member

in reply to lost_dutchman_gold_mine_az

Ebay is becoming just a store, not an auction site, they are moving away. It became impossible to be a part time seller on ebay.

After 15 years and a lot of money  sells they suspended my seller account because of two slow shipping items... that is just stupid business practices. Since I cant sell I will no longer by through ebay, why would I ? I used to sell and use at least 30% of the money to buy, on ebay or just using paypal. By alienating sellers ebay is driving buyers away as well. I pent at least 50K on ebay in the past 15 years, now  all the future spending are going to be done through web sites directly, no need to pay ebay commissions....

Please use plain text.
santaslittlespy
Community Member

in reply to sekisui101

I get a 1099 from Paypal each year.  It's not bad when you keep up with everything, including packaging supplies, cost of goods and mileage to the post office etc.   The accounting cost is more for sure but all in all, not bad.

My problem with Ebay has to be that they are trying to be like Pinterest where you make collections and share.... Unless they let us make several collections of what we sell and post these on our listings for up-sales, I can't see this collection thing working for us.  Also it would be great to search collections.

I started listing on Amazon this year, thankfully becuase without the sales there... my sales would suck this year.

Please use plain text.
lost_dutchman_gold_mine_az
Community Member

in reply to 20thcenturyrox

I don't sell on ebay anymore.It is owned and operated by the biggest scam artist known.When John Donahue took over,Ebay started to go down hill.Ebay will always be a dead website,until Donahue leaves.It is a shame that a corporation that big,does not know that.Thank God he is not running for president.

Please use plain text.
20thcenturyrox
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

You forgot to factor in the biggest scam e-bay now take roughly 1% of shipping fees on every item you sell. Now if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black!

Please use plain text.
rsantiqueshop
Community Member

in reply to johnacton2k

Try Ebid.

Please use plain text.
rsantiqueshop
Community Member

in reply to johnacton2k

You should try Ebid.net.Easy to use site and almost no fees.Only downside is not too much traffic,but the site is slowly improving.If more sellers from Ebay start selling over there and people start finding them,it could be an alternative to FEEBAY.

Please use plain text.
buy3get1free_worldwide
Community Member

in reply to oddstuff13

So true

Please use plain text.
thejerseyguy6786
Community Member

in reply to ape-man
When the big retailers finally fall, and no small sellers to hold them up, ebay will fall flat on its face. It might not happen right away, but ridding themselves of their foundation will in time be their demise. The Negative feedback issue will grow and not go away. Even large corporations we think will always be around, if mismanaged, will in time fall apart. Greed will come back to bite you in the ass as it always does. Who will be there to save ebay when they see a downturn? Not the small sellers it had, not the sellers who were loyal to them. Corporations and large sellers are out for themselves; that means if Amazon has cheaper listing and commission fees, where do you think they'll go? Like some have said it best, you have the large sellers who sell things dirt cheap which means SMALL PROFIT MARGINS. They sell in mass to make a decent profit. Walmart has this method of distribution. However, increasing their expense breaks the fragile balance. Eventually either they break even or end up with a loss. Companies do not run making no profit nor incurring a loss. The LARGE SELLERS can afford to take small losses, but upon large losses, will contribute to their fate. Ebay is happy now but just like a company with unhappy employees, will NOT run efficiently.

Slowly but surely, if ebay does not make a large number of SELLERS happy, Amazon will see a market opportunity and will establish a competitive advantage. Just like how they passed BEST BUY in selling electronics. Don't under estimate Amazon. Ebay is a very large company, but SMART executives focus on the front line. A happy front line will usually result in a positive outcome. Having fluctuations will not always result in positive outcomes. Ebay makes money on Listing Fees and Commissions. Both come from the Seller, not the BUYER.

Ebay will stick around for a long time but will change. Not for the better either. But they'll learn in time.
Please use plain text.
mellapmella
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

Really, you think ebay cares? The large retailers make them more money in a day than a hundred small sellers in a week. They want the small sellers gone and this is how they push us out.

Yeah! totally correct. Large retailers, aka Hong Kong and China sellers, selling cheap junk, knock-offs and amassing large numbers of FB. Same sellers,.selling under many accounts with 1000's of sales a month. Using stock photos to lure buyers and item such as sterling silver, stamped 925 when it is just plated. One seller even emailed me and told me he uses that verbiage as a "selling tool".  As stated on other boards, China government pay for sellers shipping costs plus eBay lets them list for free. Ebay will state that they are just a VENUE. They can not call an item/auction a knock-off, fake, fraudulent if they do not see it in person. That is their OUT. Ebay covers their behinds by stating that they do not allow fraudulent items listed. If an auction calls something authentic and does not state that it might not be real.then it stays.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

Gee Wiz... why is everyone complaining ? I say a prayer for eBay every nite. Look how great they have treated me.

=. I have been selling for 13+ years, 100% feedback.  For some time I had the Power Seller (PS) status. A combination of factors made it impossible to sell my normal number of items for a period of time.,When I geared up to begin selling I discovered that my PS status had been removed. The reason for removal was an insufficient NUMBER of sales even though I had surpassed the MONETARY REQUIREMENTS. So for example,even if someone sells 2 items for a total of $500,000 he is not qualified as a Power  Seller? To add insult to injury much of my time was spent helping associates and friends set up or improve their eBay accounts. 

= Argued for months about receiving less than a perfect score for shipping costs when I offered 100% free shipping. Would not even acknowledge there was a problem w/ their system. (the finally did alter this, NOT immediately tho)

=shipping cost extortion policy. Taking a cut of shipping charges? How is this possible??? This is THEFT. This amazes me and it doesn';t even apply to me.

= I take great pride in my items. When I see time after time that my item doesn't sell and several others of higher price and less quality sell I am dumbfounded. ,I then note that all of these sales display the power seller icon.

+ there have been other slaps in the face also but I'm already mashing my keyboard in happiness.

Why would anyone feel that eBay is pushing out  the small seller. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

and if the ebay fees and ebay rules were not enough the shipping has raised their rates where shipping is costing as much as the item - how can we continue  ???

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

Man I have messed up my mother had been hospitalized and my fater has dementia and I had to take care of them and on top of all that I get the flu, and I had orders to fill and ship and now all my clients are mad at me except one, I can see there point of view but I am afraid of bad feed back any on ever had this happen???

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ape-man

Hello, what other sites do you recommend outside of ebay?  I lost my TRS yesterday over their technical problems that they can't even figure out and thus blamed me for.  My sales have already dropped in 1 day and I'm done with ebay.

Please use plain text.