cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

ape-man
Enthusiast

With the new rules and control Ebay and Paypal are trying to enforce on sellers, not only are they losing the long time seller's from when Ebay began, but thru word of mouth, would be new seller's do not want to go into this marketplace now.  High fees, no regard for the seller who make's their money in the first place.

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Re: Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

ive had the same thing happen to me, but the buyer did receive the item and i know this because i saw it on her site selling my item, ebay did nothing about it and i had to pay her back, also i had a buyer who bought something from me she had 1 feedback the item was NWT for some reason she was out to get me to leave a neg feedback she hasnt bought anything since i called ebay to get the negative off my page they said she has a right to speak her mind, i was so bad, someone with 0 or 1 feedback can leave a negative and i cant and they didnt or wouldnt back me all the fees i have paid to ebay im just about to stop selling now and i have done really good but with these returns now the buyer wantes to wear the items and return them ive never had a problem until this rule started now, i know im not the only one having this problem and ebays answer to everything is im sorry well im sick of this madness!!

Message 46 of 141
latest reply

im having the same problem!ebay doesnt care they have made their money plus still are so losing 10 people wont matter to them and thats sad, you would think they would want to keep the good sellers and the ones who got them stated but no they just look at it like who cares, someone else will come along and start selling, i actually had fun selling but not anymore.

Message 47 of 141
latest reply

stewiecrazy21
Enthusiast

as my 3rd time selling on ebay in a while this was the first time I ran into these holds with money on paypal. i'd find it more reasonable for them to hold money on the package that might be delivered, or even insured. but three days after arrival is rediculous.  at least im glad to know a majority of those unique one of a kind items can be found by small time sellers on other auction sites, and this would explain why ebay is left with all the chinnese knock off items sold 1000s a day.. it even explains the longer wait times to get a item shipped.

I listed a item that would only let me charge 15$ of shipping

my actual ups ground cost was 50$ and another 15$ in packing materials. Half of the bundled items wouldnt even fit into the 15$ flat rate usps box..

Ive bought at least 10k dollars on ebay I forgot my login to my last account that had another 300 transactions.. ill be happy to move on now to other auction sites

Message 48 of 141
latest reply

It is amazing to me that Ebay which was made by the Moms and POPs sellers is going the route it is.

But it is obvious that Ebay is courting the big guys and could care less about us small sellers.

But I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago - and decided to do something about it, so dumped my seller account.

When I figured it out at the end of the day after Ebay Fees - Paypal Fees - listing and relisting day after day - the only one making any money was Ebay.

Page views are way down - Ebay fees are always going up??

They blame the economy - well in these times with the price of new - it should be the other way around - people are looking for bargains and this should be the prime marketplace.

Their answer is sell cheaper - god how can we, but notice they don't offer to help us - quite the opposite, they keep adding costs and rules that make it impossible..

So quite simply I have created my own site that has a direct feed to Google and now only buy the ocassional item on Ebay to resell on my site, sometimes at 5 times what I paid on Ebay.

EG: bought A Young Clam bucket on Ebay for $2500.00 which the seller had been advertising for 3 months sold it on my site thru Google search $15,000.00 5 days after listing and did not even have to move it. Customer picked up direct from my seller.

But the biggest problem I see is that Ebayers all sit here and cry about how bad it is becoming but do nothing about it.

They will not take the time to promote another venue, but expect it to have huge traffic before they will use it - well news flash, the only way there is going to be a New Site that takes into account all your concerns is if you promote it and help build it.

No large corporation is going to spend the time and money to compete with Ebay without charging exactly the same - that is why Google and MS have stayed clear of this marketplace.

The internet is an amazing place and it would not take long for a new concept to take hold - but only if sellers help promote it.

That is why Ebay appears to not care - they have seen and heard it all before and at the end of the day they know that no one is really going to jump ship even if its going down, they will instead sit on deck with their life jackets on singing the blues, while the band plays on.

Message 49 of 141
latest reply

Frustration and loss of revenue is the name of the game. I have a buyer who never sent money for shipping . Paid using the pick up method. After fruitless attempts to contact my buyer and endless emails I find out I may lose my long time top rated status for not shipping the items in one day. How frustrating and I have contacted ebay several times. they are unable to contact the buyer but can not tell me what action I can take and save my status. Along with that I am concerned that the buyer has not replied in 2 weeks and has a phone number that is not valid.Whats happened to the original core values this site was built on?

Message 50 of 141
latest reply

It's probably because they're tired of getting burned buy excessive fees, low ranking searches, not to mention PayPal's ludicrous policies. 2008 was the beginning of the end for eBay traffic from what I've experienced.

Message 51 of 141
latest reply

eBay is actually thriving in the market place and rallying from when it was losing ground.  I think eBay should get out of the auction business as they refuse to run an auction the way a real auction is run - as is, where is -  buyer beware - no returns.  eBay's policys in dealing with disputes continues to screw the seller either financially or if you win a case, the buyer can still leave negative feedback for you which can affect your bottom line in the long run.  And then you can be blocked after 3 ? such experiences.  That is ludricrous with millions of buyers in the world who have the potential of having buyers remorse.  Of course the buyer who lost a case is going to say negative things.  They shouldn't be able to do this. It's sour grapes.  On the other hand you as a seller cannot say anything negative about a buyer.  eBay informed me that feedback is just opinion and not to be taken seroiusly.  So ebay is basically saying that buyers' opinions matter but sellers opinions do not.  However bad feedback that brings your score down affects your bottom line.  I personally feel that if you have a case and once ebay makes a decision and all appeals have been exhausted, no feedback should be allowed, either by buyer or seller at that point.  Once again after a negative ebay experience, I have to ask myself "is this the place I want to be selling my items and is this the kind of company I respect."  Once again, sadly, as much as I love eBay, I coming closer to saying no.

Message 52 of 141
latest reply

Hello, what other sites do you recommend outside of ebay?  I lost my TRS yesterday over their technical problems that they can't even figure out and thus blamed me for.  My sales have already dropped in 1 day and I'm done with ebay.

Message 53 of 141
latest reply

garnetth2007
Enthusiast

Man I have messed up my mother had been hospitalized and my fater has dementia and I had to take care of them and on top of all that I get the flu, and I had orders to fill and ship and now all my clients are mad at me except one, I can see there point of view but I am afraid of bad feed back any on ever had this happen???

Message 54 of 141
latest reply

and if the ebay fees and ebay rules were not enough the shipping has raised their rates where shipping is costing as much as the item - how can we continue  ???

Message 55 of 141
latest reply

Gee Wiz... why is everyone complaining ? I say a prayer for eBay every nite. Look how great they have treated me.

=. I have been selling for 13+ years, 100% feedback.  For some time I had the Power Seller (PS) status. A combination of factors made it impossible to sell my normal number of items for a period of time.,When I geared up to begin selling I discovered that my PS status had been removed. The reason for removal was an insufficient NUMBER of sales even though I had surpassed the MONETARY REQUIREMENTS. So for example,even if someone sells 2 items for a total of $500,000 he is not qualified as a Power  Seller? To add insult to injury much of my time was spent helping associates and friends set up or improve their eBay accounts. 

= Argued for months about receiving less than a perfect score for shipping costs when I offered 100% free shipping. Would not even acknowledge there was a problem w/ their system. (the finally did alter this, NOT immediately tho)

=shipping cost extortion policy. Taking a cut of shipping charges? How is this possible??? This is THEFT. This amazes me and it doesn';t even apply to me.

= I take great pride in my items. When I see time after time that my item doesn't sell and several others of higher price and less quality sell I am dumbfounded. ,I then note that all of these sales display the power seller icon.

+ there have been other slaps in the face also but I'm already mashing my keyboard in happiness.

Why would anyone feel that eBay is pushing out  the small seller. 

Message 56 of 141
latest reply

Really, you think ebay cares? The large retailers make them more money in a day than a hundred small sellers in a week. They want the small sellers gone and this is how they push us out.

Yeah! totally correct. Large retailers, aka Hong Kong and China sellers, selling cheap junk, knock-offs and amassing large numbers of FB. Same sellers,.selling under many accounts with 1000's of sales a month. Using stock photos to lure buyers and item such as sterling silver, stamped 925 when it is just plated. One seller even emailed me and told me he uses that verbiage as a "selling tool".  As stated on other boards, China government pay for sellers shipping costs plus eBay lets them list for free. Ebay will state that they are just a VENUE. They can not call an item/auction a knock-off, fake, fraudulent if they do not see it in person. That is their OUT. Ebay covers their behinds by stating that they do not allow fraudulent items listed. If an auction calls something authentic and does not state that it might not be real.then it stays.

Message 57 of 141
latest reply

When the big retailers finally fall, and no small sellers to hold them up, ebay will fall flat on its face. It might not happen right away, but ridding themselves of their foundation will in time be their demise. The Negative feedback issue will grow and not go away. Even large corporations we think will always be around, if mismanaged, will in time fall apart. Greed will come back to bite you in the ass as it always does. Who will be there to save ebay when they see a downturn? Not the small sellers it had, not the sellers who were loyal to them. Corporations and large sellers are out for themselves; that means if Amazon has cheaper listing and commission fees, where do you think they'll go? Like some have said it best, you have the large sellers who sell things dirt cheap which means SMALL PROFIT MARGINS. They sell in mass to make a decent profit. Walmart has this method of distribution. However, increasing their expense breaks the fragile balance. Eventually either they break even or end up with a loss. Companies do not run making no profit nor incurring a loss. The LARGE SELLERS can afford to take small losses, but upon large losses, will contribute to their fate. Ebay is happy now but just like a company with unhappy employees, will NOT run efficiently.

Slowly but surely, if ebay does not make a large number of SELLERS happy, Amazon will see a market opportunity and will establish a competitive advantage. Just like how they passed BEST BUY in selling electronics. Don't under estimate Amazon. Ebay is a very large company, but SMART executives focus on the front line. A happy front line will usually result in a positive outcome. Having fluctuations will not always result in positive outcomes. Ebay makes money on Listing Fees and Commissions. Both come from the Seller, not the BUYER.

Ebay will stick around for a long time but will change. Not for the better either. But they'll learn in time.
Message 58 of 141
latest reply

So true

Message 59 of 141
latest reply

You should try Ebid.net.Easy to use site and almost no fees.Only downside is not too much traffic,but the site is slowly improving.If more sellers from Ebay start selling over there and people start finding them,it could be an alternative to FEEBAY.

Message 60 of 141
latest reply