cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

ape-man
Enthusiast

With the new rules and control Ebay and Paypal are trying to enforce on sellers, not only are they losing the long time seller's from when Ebay began, but thru word of mouth, would be new seller's do not want to go into this marketplace now.  High fees, no regard for the seller who make's their money in the first place.

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Re: Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

This is doing research silly. Lol. It's much easier to ask in this site and just look at everyone's answers. Thanks for the background research in my research .
Message 76 of 141
latest reply

my experience w their shipping rules is that some exec decided that if you have a sale in your store then your customers should not get combined shipping discounts. what kind of logic is this? where is the customer loyalty and why make it hard for us who want to give good service in spite of ebay. the good old days we were able to have a conversation with the customer which communication was supported. today you get a defect rating if the person decides to send it back because they decided against and so claim it was not as described. ebay strikes fear in the customer rather then support the golden rule of just doing the next right thing. Shame on you ebay
Message 77 of 141
latest reply

apple pay will begin to look really good as paypal is giving buyers up to 6 months to file a claim now . that is pathetic.
Message 78 of 141
latest reply

So true...ebay has become a casual part time seller type business instead of the juggernaut for small sellers it once was.  I was there in 1998 when ebay was super huge for small sellers, we were making bank.  Now, with the greedy fingers of ebay in my sales fees, shipping fees, PayPal fees...my wife was right on...you don't net out that much for all the hassle.  Not really.  Relisting is now commonplace and way more than number of times until sold than decade past.  Truth is, until something better comes along...this is all you have to use except for CL.  I do use that a lot.  But items that need global reach, sorry to say that this is all you have to use.

Message 79 of 141
latest reply

Ok, simple as this...do what we did.  After 15 years....shut down your sellers account.  Do not SELL and do NOT buy on ebay.  It will either make them change their ways or go belly up.  That is their choice to make.  They couldnt even surviVe in China! 

Remove ALL yoru credit card information when you close down your sellers account.  Do NOT leave it there. 

QUIT MAKING EBAY RICH FOR FAILED POLITICAL RUNS.  THEY COULD TRULY CARE LESS ABOUT YOU AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS HAVE NO ISSUES

Message 80 of 141
latest reply

i had a message from a customer off ebay gave me his phone number i phoned him and he stated he wanted it cheaper and wanted to go out side of ebay i told him no and he would have to go through ebay he purchesed a joblot off me 2 days later via ebay  two weeks later left me nueatral feed back stateing that HE FOUND MY ITEMS HARD TO SELL i contacted ebay stateing i did every thing possible as a seller listed it correctley put pics up and dispatched on time  what i could not do was sell the items for him what supprised me more was he had neg feed back himself it stated seller did not no how to accept payment any way ebay told me to do one i gave the cutomer his money back 24.99 and told him to keep the pruduct

Message 81 of 141
latest reply

I had a very bad experience with eBay customer service. I sold an amp and the buyer destroyed the unit. He files a not as described even though he broke the item he bought. He sends it back to me at my expense and worthless eBay makes me pay for the reimbursment to the buyer that broke the amp. I call eBay and the customer service rep tells me that I am out of luck and this is the risk for selling on the internet. I looked at the seller policy and no where does it state that if a buyer destroys your item that you are responsible tp reimburse them. I will look else where to sell since eBay policies are worthles for the seller.  Good luck to any seller working to resolve an issue with worthless eBay

Message 82 of 141
latest reply

After getting a couple of undeserved / confused new customer bad feedbacks that restricted my account severely, I will be removing eBay symbols from my website, blogsite and print advertising.  I will be migrating away from here.  I have to, it's only business, and eBay is just a computer program that only thinks one way.  I Just might close the account for a year to let it all settle out and restart fresh.  After 12 years and $800,000 in sales through eBay, I will just concentrate on my own growing website and the sales that come in without the extra fees ,... and to think,.. that I almost hired a person to take care of the accounting portion so that I could spend more time on my other part of the business that makes more money,... with the profit margin that eBay fees chip away at,  eBay makes more money off of my stuff than I do,.. ...  I think I will just concentrate on making more money from the other avenues that I have. 

Watch my account dwindle to nothing.

Oh well,

Steve

Message 83 of 141
latest reply

Ebay has under the current CEO basically driven away sellers; those long existing trusted sellers and is having difficulty in retaining new ones. Why would sellers stay on a platform that does not reward sales growth?. The Newly implement incomprehensible DSR ratings for sellers basically restricts your ability to list more than 100 items or equivalent of $5000.00  per month regardless of long history of proven track record of sellers.  There is no point anymore in maintaining a store front on ebay since restrictions are put  in place. Tell me, what is the incetive now to maintain a store when ebay itself does not trust sellers and over the years with John Donahogue eroded every effort to drive away sales and sellers. At one point ( there were about 146 million registered users on ebay and 1.3 million sellers data from 2008 according to https://trendient.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/number-of-amazon-sellers-supasses-ebay/). If that is true, then ebay is basically on a course of dimise. It makes sense in that to keep revenues up, they increase their ridiculous fees structure on the backs of sellers to the point that 10-12% right off the top goes to ebay from sales and ontop of double dipping on paypal fees, store fees and shipping charges.  This business model is not sustainable and will collaspe with sellers basically closing down stores and moving off to the River and their own e-commerce site. Ebay has become a wasteland of an e-commerce site, lagging poorly in retaining the few remaining sellers left, there incomprensible practice for lower search results to punish sellers. You see these imposed DRS ratings, if you have hit the 5% mark in terms of low DSR ratings will throw you to the bottom, restict your listings, impose penalities and holds and possible suspensions. Sellers have become the scapegoat on the backs of Ebay management in it's incompetence and micro management of policies where ebay thinks one fit solution works. I know the suits are reading these threads, and we all know that these DSR ratings will become the final nail in the confin.

Message 84 of 141
latest reply

I have moved my entire stock on to Amazon. The fees are higher yes, but my sales have trippled, but my profits have doubled overall. 

They reach more people, they allow you to send them thier stock for another small fee but then they ship free to prime customers ect and you sit back and make a profit for very little work.

I sacked eBay and never looked back.

Message 85 of 141
latest reply

As a 10 year, 30,000 plus seller, it is refreshing to see other experienced sellers who share the same sentiments as far as eBays direction. Basically, they have lost their way. And over the years I can point to seller after to seller, like us, who have packed their bags for greener pastures. Each of these companies were cash cows for eBay, and each finally gave up being milked for every last drop of whatever it is that eBay is searching for. As one of the departures told me; “eBay has more ways of having their way with a  seller than any Friday night hooker could ever have dreamed of.”

For whatever reason their choice of relentless policies has made what used to be fun and have turned it into an ordeal. All while refusing to fix even the simplest things. Have you ever asked someone to send you an item number? For some reason that number, which is the most important piece of information to every listing, has the smallest font on the page. And they bury it, just like the contact seller link. You would think that in a market place that is supposed to rely so heavily on communication; that someone would figure out that you need to make those information links easy to find and readily available. And those item numbers….. they are called eBay item number in the listing, then item ID in your sold record and then finally being called auction item number in PayPal. All three of these refer the same item. How hard can it be to call the same thing the same thing? An apple is an apple and although they can be referred to a red skinned fruit on a tree, or the product of a Malus domestica tree ….why? Apparently 20 years is not enough to call an item number an item number.

Then there are two new policies at eBay, which no one at eBay can explain why. When listing an item you get to choose whether to allow buyers to make you an offer. But once listed, eBay now overrides the seller’s preference. Oh the joy of offer after offer for less than what you paid for the item. Another example of the left not knowing what the right hand is doing, is what happens when there is an issue? Again, in the listing you get to choose whether to allow for exchanges. But when the item arrives and does not meet the customers’ expectations, the return policy does not allow that option for the buyer. eBay is simply more interested in giving the customer their money back, than trying to make certain the buyer gets an item that suits their needs.

At one time we used to have close to 1,000 listings. Today we have dwindled that down to less than 1/3 of that number, as we continue to migrate our business to other venues. And the most refreshing thing we have found, is that other sites actually allow business people conduct business, without the constant hovering over you like a big brother.

Message 86 of 141
latest reply

They  could  do  but  whyt would  they  want  to if  sellers  have  no  rights  yep  they  will  attract  a  lot  of  people  who  know  this  buyers  and  eventually  the  good  seller  will  have  disappeared  They  need  sellers  but  do  sellers  need  them

Message 87 of 141
latest reply

Perfectly put, I feel like I being punished by the big bully on the playground, nice way to have sales and be in business, makes us really want to stay with eBay, actually I want to thank them for punishing me with their so called seller protection program, what a joke, we have to give it away, have it stolen from us and return damaged on purpose so they can return the item not as described and the list goes on, over half of the defects they call defects are bogus at best, but we still get graded regardless with the negatives that shouldn't be with the cookie cutter program they rolled out that goods for everyone the same. I have 100 percent feedback almost all 5 stars complete and still fall below standard because of a few minor cancellations and or buyers that either know what they can get away with or the others don't know what it does to sellers, either way. This program isn't a sure fire from where I see fit, and I do thank eBay for me waking up to the sellers being distroyed within their company, eBay we do have new options and websites to sell our products, respect us like we really need us rather than the bullies you like to show who your becoming. I give you people almost a 1000.00 a month, times that by the millions, do you really want to lose that, wake up call management, something has to be done, no way to maintain a respectable business approach with these rules, I've been in business for over 40 years and this one stinks, great platform to sell on but that's about it, spank me and diminish my store to basic from premium because of the ridiculous rules for one month. We both lose, I used to be top rated all the time, not anymore, not acheiveable selling parts new and used, not going to happen and even if it did, try sustaining it, never happen. future web store, Amazon some, Facebook even more and so on, eBay the list is long, work with what's left and stop burning the bridges with us sellers.....
Message 88 of 141
latest reply

we need a new site..........ebay all over.........others have starded but bad formats............make a good format and it will be the end of ebay.

Message 89 of 141
latest reply

This explains it!

Article from August 2014 http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/why-ebay-tells-chinese-manufacturers-what-your... "We send [manufacturers] data about what people are looking for on eBay and they respond and turn it around incredibly quickly," president of eBay Marketplaces Devin Wenig told me. "We have a really big China export business to Europe and the United States. And they respond very, very quickly to consumer taste, whatever it might be. It's really remarkable to see how quickly the manufacturing base adapts to the demand signals they get."

Message 90 of 141
latest reply