cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

ape-man
Enthusiast

With the new rules and control Ebay and Paypal are trying to enforce on sellers, not only are they losing the long time seller's from when Ebay began, but thru word of mouth, would be new seller's do not want to go into this marketplace now.  High fees, no regard for the seller who make's their money in the first place.

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Re: Ebay's losing seller's and not gaining any new ones!

You forgot to factor in the biggest scam e-bay now take roughly 1% of shipping fees on every item you sell. Now if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black!

Message 61 of 141
latest reply

I don't sell on ebay anymore.It is owned and operated by the biggest scam artist known.When John Donahue took over,Ebay started to go down hill.Ebay will always be a dead website,until Donahue leaves.It is a shame that a corporation that big,does not know that.Thank God he is not running for president.

Message 62 of 141
latest reply

I get a 1099 from Paypal each year.  It's not bad when you keep up with everything, including packaging supplies, cost of goods and mileage to the post office etc.   The accounting cost is more for sure but all in all, not bad.

My problem with Ebay has to be that they are trying to be like Pinterest where you make collections and share.... Unless they let us make several collections of what we sell and post these on our listings for up-sales, I can't see this collection thing working for us.  Also it would be great to search collections.

I started listing on Amazon this year, thankfully becuase without the sales there... my sales would suck this year.

Message 63 of 141
latest reply

Ebay is becoming just a store, not an auction site, they are moving away. It became impossible to be a part time seller on ebay.

After 15 years and a lot of money  sells they suspended my seller account because of two slow shipping items... that is just stupid business practices. Since I cant sell I will no longer by through ebay, why would I ? I used to sell and use at least 30% of the money to buy, on ebay or just using paypal. By alienating sellers ebay is driving buyers away as well. I pent at least 50K on ebay in the past 15 years, now  all the future spending are going to be done through web sites directly, no need to pay ebay commissions....

Message 64 of 141
latest reply

An even better idea, don't sell or buy! Just keep the account open. This is what I plan to do when my current listings expire. They will finally get the idea if enough members do it. Mostly due to postage rates, thrifty buyers are shopping local consignment shops. With postal rates almost equaling the selling price in many cases, buyers are feeling they are not getting a bargain. In the past two weeks I have listed over 2 dozen nice, brand name items my 4 year old girl has outgrown with great photos and low starting bids.  They just aren't bidding like they did even a year ago. If I list at eBay's suggested starting price of .99 cents, buyers just watch and at the last minute, go in and bid .99, win it, and I am left with selling an item that is almost new and worth $15 or more for .99! Not even worth my time and "gave" the item away!

If I place a reserve price, eBay charges me more and a "buy it now" listing just sets there. I see a big difference in traffic in the past year. Out of all my listings, I have sold 5 and for not much more than the starting bid. And on top of that two are unpaid items for over a week with no response!! One of which, I have opened a case on. I really believe there is a slow death underway for eBay except for the Asian market. What else is new?

For smaller sellers with only a few items, I have friends who are using FaceBook. They list only an item or two a week with photos, and meet the buyers at a local mall or parking lot and sell from there. The interested buyer just responds to the post with "I Want It". No auctions, but if the price is fair, things are selling. Not as many scams as Craig's List.

As for Amazon, I haven't sold with Amazon, but plan to give it a try. I am a Prime member and have purchased items and never been disappointed!

And for those sellers who have handmade crafts, Etsy is doing very well! There are other markets on the horizon...it's just a matter of time.

Message 65 of 141
latest reply

I'm one from 1998 and I work a lot harder now and make less.  Ebay does not care about you, skcess...get that through your head.  Took me some time to get it, but I get it now.  It's like my stepfather, who is brilliant at being a CEO of a major scientific corporation.  HE thinks he knows everything...but we in the family know his inner secrets and he's a nightmare behind the Stanford MBA.  His financial life is in turmoil, divorces, can't make life and social decisions without the help of the "common folk"...that's ebay now.  They think they have it down, making billions per year...they don't need us commoners telling them anything.  So I don't tell them how to do anything.  I use them, they use me, neither one cares as Bob Seger used to sing. 

Message 66 of 141
latest reply

No one in there right mind should be selling on Ebay . They are losing sellers every day and either they don't care or they are stupid. I think that the person that bought Ebay just has lots of money and no brains on how to please everyone. No sellers then no buyers HELLO They are definitely making a mess sitting in their office just thinking up rules that don't work.  If they want to sink they are doing a GREAT j0b

Message 67 of 141
latest reply

Ebay is driving away competitive sellers and not maintaining customers. After a long hiatus, I decided to sell a couple of 1950's & 1960's 'white elephants' from our shelves on ebay, both to clean up the house and generate a little cash. However, after selling one item for $3 and paying the $2.80 insertion and valuation fees, and other fees that I have no idea where they come from, I've decided to just give the stuff to Goodwill. What a waste of time [ha, ha, laugh!!] Whatever happened to the old ebay, like from a long time ago? I actually had a lot of old coins and tokens I wanted to sell. Really, it's just not worth my time, especially with these ridiculous fees. In short, I'll just leave some of the old stuff in the drawers, the rest of the **bleep** will go in the garbage, recycle or to Goodwill. What a joke of a company. Most American corporations seem to be run like this now. Decision lock, Escalation of commitment, and totally disfunctional board rooms.

Message 68 of 141
latest reply

Can hardly believe I hadn't realised that I was being had! I only charge EXACTLY what it costs in P&P and then ebay charge me a fee! I am now exloring other selling options!

Message 69 of 141
latest reply

Maybe we shouldn't continue! I am seriously considering leaving ebay!

Message 70 of 141
latest reply

Looked into Amazon -their rates are much higher for selling than e-bay.I could not see selling on Amazon- great place to shop.

Message 71 of 141
latest reply

I just had the worst customer experience buying from manufacturer as a guest and I won't be using eBay ever again. I was sold a tablet that's missing a battery. eBay customer service is attrocious. 

Message 72 of 141
latest reply

One of the GREATEST things about ebay is that you buy from a seller and the seller is responsible to make you happy. NOT EBAY! Thats the way it should be in a TRULY free online market. Look at a sellers ratings before you buy and you can not go wrong!

Message 73 of 141
latest reply

Last 12 months ebay lost 10,000 sellers to the bad economy. Amazon lost over 50,000. Do some research.

Message 74 of 141
latest reply

Yea we gotta deal with all the tangles. And also want other methods than peypal too.

Message 75 of 141
latest reply