cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

passline
Scout

Ten to fifteen percent commission is pretty much standard take out for auction houses, etc.. The real problem is that we were paying these thieves five percent a few years ago. Their commission is the tip of the iceberg, it's the other factors that border these charlatans being illegal that ALWAYS penalize sellers. I honestly believe a team of monkeys create, invent rules and regulations for this charade called a "business". I find the only answer to selling on eBay is to make it worthwhile, ie, sell an expensive item. The normally priced items are no longer worth selling profit-wise.They're an awful outfit to do business with, impersonal and unfair in most instances and trust me, when they email us about a new program geared to help us, the ONLY reason they do it is to line their pockets.

Message 121 of 1,161
latest reply

i, for one, will stop selling alot of stuff. i would rather just keep it.

Message 122 of 1,161
latest reply

It's been a few years since I've sold anything on ebay and was just floored with the 10% final fee.  I have one more item I was going to sell, but not now.  It's not worth the fee's when I can sell it on CL for free.

Message 123 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay needs a competitor,  its the only way to keep there fee's in check. If your the only game in town, you can charge what ever you want. A competitor would have to be a large known company to give Ebay a run for its money. I can see it now "Google Auctions" think we to start a campaign for them to get in the game.

Like said earlier Yahoo tried back in 1998 to 2007 and failed, pretty much like they failed at everything they tried. No little company at this point could bring Ebay down. Ebay's gotten to big, it went from private ownership, to the publicly traded multi billion dollar monster it is now.

Message 124 of 1,161
latest reply

It isnt just the Ebay fees. I think places like Gazelle might be a better deal.

I just sold my used iPad. It sold for $288, I charged $12 for express shipping. The seller paid me $300. Well, it actually cost me $20 to ship. Paypal (owned by Ebay) charged me $9. Ebay charged me $30. After it was all said and done, I only got $240 in my pocket after selling the item for $288

$48 to sell an item for $288. I paid 16% in fees

Message 125 of 1,161
latest reply

Recently sold an item worth $149. Ebay banged me for $15 of it. Then paypal toolk $5.. It was $14 to ship.

So on my $149 item i receive $115. Thats BS, I could sell on craiglist or facebook groups for at least that..

I dont know why I waste my time on ebay. They are robbing people left and right. The executives make top dollar to do what? Ebay hasnt changed in years, still the same thing. Ebay staff just getting richer.

So mad at ebay for the way they run their business. Greed greed greed. Some day it will catch up to them.

I am DONE selliing on ebay,. DONE DONE DONE!!! May still buy a thing now and then for the convenience, but selling is not worth it when the market value or a product must be competetive, and can NOT be when ebay takes such a huge chunk. Unless you want to give stuff away.

Message 126 of 1,161
latest reply

@todaystech wrote:

Recently sold an item worth $149. Ebay banged me for $15 of it. Then paypal toolk $5.. It was $14 to ship.

So on my $149 item i receive $115. Thats BS, I could sell on craiglist or facebook groups for at least that..

You should have called the police and reported that there was an eBay employee standing behind you, holding a gun to your head, forcing you to offer free shipping.

Message 127 of 1,161
latest reply

I may as well add my rant to the list. I am a buyer far more often than I am a seller. I hadn't sold anything in a while but always remembered it being fun and the service reasonably priced. I recently sold a motorcycle jacket and was happy with the selling price of $183. Then I get the bill from ebay for $33 (which includes shipping). It's not right for a company to hurt their customers while making billions of dollars. For a seller the exposure to potential buyers is unprecedented but there is really no reason for me to use ebay anymore. I will put the items from my "ebay pile" on Craigslist and what doesn't sell I will give to friends and family. It was fun while it lasted but I just don't see the point in being a seller. Come to think of it, I'm not that much of an ebay buyer these days. Usually better deals are to be found elsewhere on the internet. Now I know why... ebay is no longer for the casual home user.

Message 128 of 1,161
latest reply

@dcm96 wrote:

I may as well add my rant to the list. I am a buyer far more often than I am a seller. I hadn't sold anything in a while but always remembered it being fun and the service reasonably priced. I recently sold a motorcycle jacket and was happy with the selling price of $183. Then I get the bill from ebay for $33 (which includes shipping).

Your buyer paid you $10 for the shipping, and that $10 went to your shipper. Why are you making it sound like eBay made $33 on the deal, and that you lost $33 from your sale price?

Message 129 of 1,161
latest reply

Well, that doesn't help. You can't add to the start up price without also raising the final value fee!
Message 130 of 1,161
latest reply

This is outrageous! Just sold a pair of snowmobile shocks here on ebay. Sold for 145 with the shipping, got charged 15 from ebay and 5 from paypal. I to have not sold on ebay for a couple of years and am floored by the prices. Greed ebay makes millons and I can barely break even on my shocks!!

Message 131 of 1,161
latest reply

@cycorider wrote:

This is outrageous! Just sold a pair of snowmobile shocks here on ebay. Sold for 145 with the shipping, got charged 15 from ebay and 5 from paypal. I to have not sold on ebay for a couple of years and am floored by the prices. Greed ebay makes millons and I can barely break even on my shocks!!

The fees are not a secret. You can get off the floor now.

Message 132 of 1,161
latest reply

Yeah, I have to agree with prettygoodweek. Sellers have to go into this with eyes wide open. Know the market before you post an item, and know the shipping costs and all other related costs. Then you'll have a fair idea what your profit is. Bottom line: Do your due diligence before selling an item. If you (the seller) feel there won't be enough profit then find another venue for selling. 

Message 133 of 1,161
latest reply

I understand eBay has to make a buck. I also understand that most of the people complaining here wouldn't be selling anything if not for eBay so in that respect 15% less is better than nothing at all.
My only real gripe is that there's no serious competition. All it would take is one site to operate as well as eBay with lower fees. It won't happen over night, but a little competition would make those fees fall quickly. As of now eBay is the old bull elephant on the Serengeti. It has no natural enemies so it can basically do whatever it wants.
Message 134 of 1,161
latest reply

Craigslist is working for me, no fee's.
Message 135 of 1,161
latest reply