cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

You price to the buyer needs to cover all your costs plus your profit margin. 

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 61 of 1,161
latest reply

Hi

I post a £105 item to Oz, post cost for 3 kilo is £90 (check RM due to size) I have to add on £9 to post cost.or I'll lose money. Come on ebay sort yourselves out. I went to local car auction and bought a car, the auction billed me there commission price, PLUS 10% for the delivery company to deliver to my garage.(I could have pushed the  bloody thing for now't) What on earth are you thinking about? I hope this is simple enough for a normal person to understand?. It looks at the moment "the last straw that broke the camels back".Drrrrr. ebay are close to me packing in with you!!! I'm not suck'olin', thought you were a good thing but now you are getting very low on my favorite list. I would appreciate a personal phone call that's if it's not too much trouble for you?. Tel. 0044+(0)1653618540 Yukspeed Rally Spares (est.1969) Regards Yuk. Just google it.

Message 62 of 1,161
latest reply

Yup can't afford it anymore.

Message 63 of 1,161
latest reply

Yes. You can sell on Etsy.com. That is what I do now since Ebay has over doubled the final value fees for auction stye store listings from 4% to 9% as of May 1st 2013. Etsy charges a flat 3.5% final value fee, with a .20 cent listing fee per item. They may get less traffic than Ebay does, but that will eventually change as Ebay will rapidly continue losing sellers to Etsy in the months to come. My items eventually always sell when I list them on Etsy, and Etsy keeps them on for 90 days. In addition, Etsy treats their sellers right, and with respect! Ebay and Paypal always side with the buyer even when the buyer committs fraud. Etsy is seller friendly! They do not force their sellers to accept Paypal and you are allowed to accept check and money orders from your customers if you wish. As long as your items are vintage (made before 1990 or hand-made, you can list them on Etsy. When Ebay informs their customers that they are lowering fees, it is always a lie! What they lower, they increase more on another end. Don't let them fool you! Give Etsy a try. I have been an Ebay seller for more than 15 years and I am a top rated seller. I am no longer proud to be an Ebay seller. Ebay is no longer worth the time or money and sellers have become their slaves. Sad....
Message 64 of 1,161
latest reply

This is a classic symptom of the disease, which takes large corporations, in which the Americans seem to lead. Sick minds of greedy hyenas. As a result, Americans' shoot themselves in the foot ": isolate themselves from the world and reducing turnover on eBay. Completely not worth us now shop there. Price your item is determined by the seller, after adding the shipping costs and the tribute is higher than the new item in the most expensive store in Europe, with delivery in 5 times longer and risky. I think that soon rise some means of fraudulent evasion of a new trade policy and the rise of Ebay, which will use and offer a cheaper service. I would like to know the name of the director in ebay, which is invented and its motivation. Let them explain to the public what it's all about, whether these ideas are necessary for it to personal career, whether you want the inside of harm Ebay. Ebay - so far efficient company, well regarded by us, customers - made a big mistake. Such ideas are accepted Incze buznesowych environments, but eBay is also social networking features. I can imagine what he thinks American who dramatically lowers the price of an item put up for auction, because it depends on a quick sale, and can not rely on international sales due to the greed of eBay, which actually earns more than the sale itself. It is sad.

(sorry for my english - internet dictionery)

Message 65 of 1,161
latest reply

How do you add a percent to your start up price.Remember they take a percent of the total. i buy products for 250.00 sale 300.00 because that is what the market will bear. You lose money. i was to stupid to see i was not making money.
Message 66 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay think that our product are fallen from the sky. Thats how they treat us now. Fees after fee. As I said before, I am just cleaning out my inventory till it sold completely, just to recover my investment and then stop.

Message 67 of 1,161
latest reply

Agreed perfectly. eBay fee and PayPal fee combined are higher than my profit now, For whatever I sell, More than half of the profit goes to eBay. People come to eBay looking for cheap items, With the way it is now, Items are priced so much higher if seller is trying to make a profit while putting up with all the bull**bleep** on eBay. Amazon all the way. 

Message 68 of 1,161
latest reply

Yes, the fee's plus the doubled fee with Paypal are ridiculous for the casual seller. A casual seller shouldn't have to pay anything over 0.01% to Ebay or Paypal combined. 

Though I say fee's should be at a higher level for merchant accounts, those that do massive business with the site, not take gouge money out of pockets of people that just want to sell an item here or there domesticly. 

Message 69 of 1,161
latest reply

yes. ebay sucks. Many of us are here because we have to be in a horrible economy to try and make some extra cash. I think ebay knows this and are willing to squeeze us for every peny they can. thats the free market. there are competetors coming but they are not quite up to the task of lowering prices. 

I read a number of the comments. a lot of people say just ad the costs back in. that would be fine except for one big problem.

you don't have to know how to run a business in order to sell on ebay. many people are pretty dense. it takes some people a lot of time before they realize they are not making money. so they have things priced low to sell.

One of the first comments I read was a guy who was selling ipods. he figured out pretty quick that he wasn't making money. there is some reason he can not raise his prices. probably because he was smart enough to price things in a way that they would actually sell. You can't just decide your going to double your money on an ipod. every one would have to make the same decision at once. they don't. the price war ensues. some one sells ipods and next to no profit or no profit a all. takes a while to figure it out and drops out of the market while another new seller takes his place.

I have 3 seller accounts. I always run into low ball prices from newer sellers.

I get product cheap enough to sell low. I am lucky. I can make profit.  My over all sales suffer though. I can not get enough product to sell at high enough prices to make money AND low enough to not sit on the shelf for ever.  I earn a little extra money by being careful. 

ebay may have the same idea many other have. sellers can just raise their prices so ebay can make more money. IT doesn't work that way though. and they probably won't bother figuring that out until some one forces them to.  Mean while you better jump through them hoops to get your discount. you'll need it.

Message 70 of 1,161
latest reply

xxx

Message 71 of 1,161
latest reply

@partsalot wrote:

yes. ebay sucks. Many of us are here because we have to be in a horrible economy to try and make some extra cash. I think ebay knows this and are willing to squeeze us for every peny they can. thats the free market. there are competetors coming but they are not quite up to the task of lowering prices. 

I read a number of the comments. a lot of people say just ad the costs back in. that would be fine except for one big problem.

you don't have to know how to run a business in order to sell on ebay. many people are pretty dense. it takes some people a lot of time before they realize they are not making money. so they have things priced low to sell.

One of the first comments I read was a guy who was selling ipods. he figured out pretty quick that he wasn't making money. there is some reason he can not raise his prices. probably because he was smart enough to price things in a way that they would actually sell. You can't just decide your going to double your money on an ipod. every one would have to make the same decision at once. they don't. the price war ensues. some one sells ipods and next to no profit or no profit a all. takes a while to figure it out and drops out of the market while another new seller takes his place.

I have 3 seller accounts. I always run into low ball prices from newer sellers.

I get product cheap enough to sell low. I am lucky. I can make profit.  My over all sales suffer though. I can not get enough product to sell at high enough prices to make money AND low enough to not sit on the shelf for ever.  I earn a little extra money by being careful. 

ebay may have the same idea many other have. sellers can just raise their prices so ebay can make more money. IT doesn't work that way though. and they probably won't bother figuring that out until some one forces them to.  Mean while you better jump through them hoops to get your discount. you'll need it.

I wouldn't doubt that tech is replacing people. except that has been going on for some time.  Believe it or not it used to take a group of 5 people to manufacture saftey pins before the industrial age. its not a new factor or even one that has increased. We used to turn furniture legs one at a time by hand. now a machine does it (probably in another country) at super quick speed. that change took place some time ago yet we still managed to increase our economy and the number of jobs thatwere available.

job growh should be natural because population growth is. the way I see baby boomers retiring should be a boon to employment because the vast majority of those jobs would still exist in a healthy economy not to mention an entire generation of retired people spending their life savings and not taking up room in the labor force.

Your example reminded me of president obamas example of "we have less jobs because some one invented the atm and now we don't need bank tellers as much". we had the  atm quite a while back.  Its as bad of an excuse as saying we need less carpenters now because some one invented the nail gun. we don't need to swing so many hammers. 

the economy is in bad shape and i think it could easily get much worse if we are willing to take bad excuses in place of job growth. 

Message 72 of 1,161
latest reply

not sure how I managed to put the above here. sorry

Message 73 of 1,161
latest reply

Just payed it with several visas least not the only one paying fees

Message 74 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High! .................................... YES they are !

Spoiler

Message 75 of 1,161
latest reply