cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

I completely agree about the fees. Every new move they make screws the seller even more. I loathe having to sell on here now. 

Message 46 of 1,161
latest reply

Completely my fault, but having not sold in awhile, I decided to list two rather expensive items.   I misjudged shipping costs (again, haven't  posted in awhile) but wasn't that bent out of shape about it.   Then when I saw that Ebay got 10% of my listing, for essentially doing nothing but adding my listing to their database (that's been around for years in pretty much the same basic format since I started with Ebay in the 90s).   Add that the paypal fees they pocket, and I'm shocked that there has been no real competition for Ebay since Yahoo and Amazon tried auctions years ago.    The only reason I used Ebay in the first place is the fear factor of using Craigslist to sell.   What saddens me is that ebay grew up on people like me selling a few items at a time, and now has zero love for people who aren't using it as a full time business. 

Message 47 of 1,161
latest reply

The fees for a standard seller in 2011 FVF were 9% for eBay & 2.9% +30 for paypal.  Now the fees are 10% eBay + PayPal 2.9% +30 cents.  Get a basic store for 15.95/mth (1 year commitment) or 19.95/mth (month to month) - FVF max 9%. plus you receive a total of 150 free listings  Also, since 2011 eBay has provided sellers 50 free listings/mth (auction or fixed), up to 12 free picture insertions (pics help sell) - used to pay 10 cents after one free.  eBay giveth & they take away - I am ahead of the game with a basic store - used to pay $18 - 20/month in listing fees.  When you insure shipments thru eBay the insurance cost is 20 cents  less expensive than USPS .

On top of all that seller promotions for a limited time frame free istings  are common place with up to 800K free listings or 80K listings free.

I have looked at other sites total cost to sell & eBays fees are not all that out of line (except CL but CL has othe issues IMO) plus eBay has 25 million eBay member w/ 250 million listings - 2nd place is way behind (like 3 million members).

I am making more profit now than when I first started selling actively in 2010.

Sometimes sellers have to find new more profitable things to sell especially when the market is saturated with sellers selling the same or similar thing - the sell price will only go down.  Example, I (and you too) can buy 2 HD flat panel TVs today of the same make, same size with 1080 dpi for less than what I paid for my first one (720 dpi).

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 48 of 1,161
latest reply

Yep, I just sold something the other day and I just saw the final value fee and thought they made a mistake. Nope...they made off with a great profit! Paypal took $10.00 and Ebay took  $35.00. That's 45.00 less than what I thought I was going to put in my own pocket. SERIOUSLY? WTF?

Hmmm....maybe we should spread the word and around and let Ebay and Paypal know how unhappy we really are.

Next step...deleting accounts.

Message 49 of 1,161
latest reply

eBay & Paypal Pees are clearly published - those fees you paid should not have been a surprise.  Kinda' like signing up for a Credit Card with 24% interest rate and saying what is this.  It was state in print before you signed on the dotted line.  At least eBay/Pay Pal does not publish the fee schedules  in mice type.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 50 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree.  Does EBAY not own paypal, they triple dip. 

Message 51 of 1,161
latest reply

THIS SHOULD HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

Message 52 of 1,161
latest reply

I just got a $300 Ebay bill with a $250 Final Value Fee. This is insane. Making it really hard to wanna keep selling on here.

Message 53 of 1,161
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay since 1998. In 2004 I closed my shop. Don't remember what fees were then. But I think they were acceptable. 

I just started selling again and was shocked to see they are charging 9% for "Other" categories. Why do some categories only pay 4%.

Listing a Laptop or a GI Joe, costs ebay the same. Why charge the GI joe 9%? **bleep**. Really!

As far as Paypal. I have no issues what so ever. The + $0.30 they charge does bug me a bit. Ok , so I have a slight issue with Paypal.

That 3% is about on par with what a regular merchant account will charge you for processing credit cards. Those charge 2 to 4%, depending on who you go with.

Plus you can get the paypal phone app and card reader for free. So now you can take cards anywhere. With out having to buy expensive equipment. 

Ebay should just charge a flat 5% across the board and not take a % from the shipping you collect.

Message 54 of 1,161
latest reply

Agree...10% ebay + 4% paypal = 14% for them both and then shipping, packaging, postage, fuel, labor....and then the product cost itself.

Message 55 of 1,161
latest reply

10% final value fee???????? And now ebay is charging 10% on shipping. I only charge what it costs me to ship. Now I lose money on shipping or have to jack it up another 10%. Bad policy!

Message 56 of 1,161
latest reply

can't we start a petition on the postage fee ebays charging?

Message 57 of 1,161
latest reply

Its like they do it on purpose they want ppl to jack up the prices of items to keep up with their prices. lol

Message 58 of 1,161
latest reply

I just started selling on ebay a short time ago. I am shocked that they actually took 10% of the shipping costs as well. I didn't even use their label service. That is nerve. The people are put off by the high cost of shipping as it is. Now on top of their existing percentages on the placement and the goods sold, they take a cut of the shipping as well.  I think Etsy is the way to go. They are fast, good clients, and the money isn't held 21 days either! SO long ebay!

Message 59 of 1,161
latest reply

That is so true, I have to increase the price of all my items because I was ending up with .60 profit on every item while eBay end up making between $5.00 - $14.00 per item plus besides that they make money on the shipping cost as will costing us seller another to lose more plus papal is making another 4% fee on the item price plus shipping price, that is absolutely bad for us, we are their slaves, working to make money for them, this have to change or eBay will end up having no sellers

Message 60 of 1,161
latest reply