cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

I AGREE! I just sold an iPhone 6 Plus for $735 after eBay and PayPal fees I'm left with $619!!!! Are you kidding me? I WILL NEVER SELL ANYTHING ON EBAY AGAIN. WHO EVER IS IN CHARGE OF ALL THEIR STUPID RULES AND FEES NEEDS TO BE FIRED!!!

Message 286 of 1,161
latest reply

Yep, 

Just made my last sale on Ebay. Even if I had something that I would make a decent profit off of, I would still not put it on Ebay. No way am I giving them 10% and the Paypal fees. Hope everyone wakes up and stops selling AND BUYING on Ebay. If people stop buying from the big stores then maybe Ebay will wake up. 

Message 287 of 1,161
latest reply

Out of the blue they start taking a 10% cut of your sale (without disclosing it), along with the PayPal fee?!  Yep, I've sold my last item on eBay!

Message 288 of 1,161
latest reply

Just sold my Sony Xperia phone on Ebay for £119 quid, already not a great price.

Ebay took 10% as a final value fee, costing me about £12 😞 

They also took 10% of my postage cost (which I don't understand the justification for), costing me another 60p.

They then took (via Paypal) a charge of £4.45 to process the payment. 

17 quid to sell quite a cheap mobile phone is exortionate! 

These fees should be shown explicitly on the 'Preview Listing' page.

Message 289 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree! Just found out such a 10% fee today for my sale on ebay. That's too much! 

Message 290 of 1,161
latest reply

And I agree! I have just realized that I am making a loss on the postage due to the sneaky 10% charge on it. And the amount I make after 10% ebay fees and 10% paypal fees on both sale and postage is negligible. Time to investigate gumtree!
Message 291 of 1,161
latest reply

Yep I will NEVER sell anything on eBay again these fees are crazy.

Sold for $850.00 plus $30.09 for shipping

$25.82 PayPal fee

$96.60 eBay fee

$122.42 total fees

This left me with $727.58 I could and should have sold it local for $800 and would have came out better and with out the hassle of eBay and PayPal.

Nice way for eBay and PayPal to thank the eBay community that has built them up!
Message 292 of 1,161
latest reply

I can't agree more.  I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay a few years back (and used mostly PayPal transactions).  I was going to restart selling and said NO  way.  It costs eBay NOTHING more to process a $1 item as it does a $1000 item.  They may have some added liability if the sale goes bad and buyer protection sets in, but that has never happened to me.  It was fine when there were tiered level fees, but taking a 10% cut off the top plus 10% on shipping is robbery.   Same with monthly billing of fees.  They are ALREADY conducting a money exchange when PayPal is involved (and many sellers use only PayPal).  Absolutely no reason to have those charges tack on at the end unless they don't want those fees right in your face.  I understand that this is a carry over from the early days of eBay when most transactions were conducted through mail (ie checks and money orders), but now its just to obscure the fees.  

Many items I have to sell would go in the $1 to $2 range and can be shipped for the cost of a plastic sleave, a stamp and an evelope.  On top of the 10% on the sale and the shipping, tack on another $0.30 + 2.9% from PayPal and whats left is I could stand on a corner and ask people for nickels.

What other business keeps increasing fees, when the cost of processing transactions should be going down.  I'm sure that the cost of electroinic storage space per listing, is only a fraction of what it was in the past. 

I can't wait until Apple or Amazon come sniffing around the online private sales business.  Amazon sort of already does.

Message 293 of 1,161
latest reply

WOW I I haven't sold anything in a while. I just listed one item and it sold. When I saw the 10% fee I almost fell over. At that rate I really lost my shirt and ebay made a bundle. Its certainly going to change how I get rid of things that have value but are no longer need. I'm am in shock!!!!

Message 294 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm pretty sure that Ebay is finally reaping what they've been sowing over the past few years. There are too many potential hassles to consider when dealing with Ebay, especially when one considers how much they charge a seller, and how much control they take from you as a seller. Today I just price things right and sell them on craigslist. I usually come out a little better on net, but much better on potential after-the-sale nightmares.
Message 295 of 1,161
latest reply

I stopped selling on eBay a few years ago, I use to be a huge seller, so much so I had to have 2 accounts. 4 to 8 grand a month in sales. eBay bought Paypal and then I started to think, they are getting kickback on both sides...  I was ok with that... till the fees started going up and up, then when total fees and shipping started to reach 30% I gave up and started to sell only on Craigslist and Word of month. 

What really fried my goat was eBay making deals with the postal services and lobbying to get China postage near nothing one way and to return a item was $18 without tracking and $32 with.. for a $8 item, making the purchase of all china items a gamble. Now I just resort to giving a negitive and waiting to see if I get a refund deal and then revise my feedback.

Message 296 of 1,161
latest reply

Oh and eBay started the eBay bucks program it started to be worth buying other items and then when I saw they revised it to where it was out of reach of the average purchaser I now do not even look at the bucks program, they should just delete it and invest in cheaper listing fees... Also DO not get me started with the Spam with constant insisting of using paypals bill-me-later scam. thats a crock, then they renamed it because of all the bad PR they were getting over it and I think its just called Pay Later. Paypal Credit.. Then they have PayPal Select ... Just like every other Credit Card company out there, giving you a discount on items like 10% off... saying its just for me, I have earned it.. Who are they kidding, my Wifes account is 6 months old and says the same thing, I have been with ebay since 97 Truly a different company, lost touch with core values and what they were, a place to sell items on the cheap.. better off going to the local stores and buying retail at times and use a REAL credit card.
Message 297 of 1,161
latest reply

It looks to me that most seller's are starting to adjust to Ebay's and Paypal's out of sight fee's. I can buy most items I'm looking for on Amazon, Google or even sometimes retail stores for less then Ebay prices anymore.

As far as selling, I've been done with ebay for months now and just use Craigslist. I'm still waiting for someone like Google to create a real competing auction like ebay and not like Yahoo's failure years back. This is going to be the only way to get ebay in check, COMPETITION!!!

Message 298 of 1,161
latest reply

Yep, just sold my final item on ebay.  We really need an alternative. I just sold a pair of Nike Jordan Retros for 275.  Retal was 190, after fees and shipping I think I ened up with $7.  No way anyone could make a living selling on ebay, I almost canceled the order and returned the item to the store as whats the point.  I'm not going to get rich buy would like my fair share.  Have been purchasing on ebay since 2000 and will stop from here on out, not fair to sellers or buyers, Amazon is a much better deal and a much better company.  Forget Ebay.

Message 299 of 1,161
latest reply

Lets not forget that eBay is just another greed-driven corporation whose primary function is self-preservation, perpetuation and to earn its executives vast sums of money. Their secondary function is to prioritize increasing shareholder value.

Dare I call it a pyramid scheme? But esentially, us sellers who number in the millions, and get the **bleep** end of the stick, funnel insane sums of money to a few executives. eBay also happens to be in bed with Paypal, so if it's not a pyramid scheme, at least we can all agree it's a double-dipping money scheme.

Deep pockets and empty hearts rule the world, we unleash them at our peril.

------------------------

Who mouths inanity disorders thought for all who listen. ~Richard Mitchell
Message 300 of 1,161
latest reply