cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

After this auction i won't be back to sell on Ebay. Fees are ridiculous and we were just trying to raise money for a family who lost it's home during tornado. Better off selling on craigslist.

Message 181 of 1,161
latest reply

what other sites can i use without fees and with alot of people looking at my ad?

Message 182 of 1,161
latest reply

I dont understand how they think it is ethical to charge a fee on shipping labels for USPS

Message 183 of 1,161
latest reply

I paid 57.00 to ship a computer monitor amd ebay charged me an additional 2.95 for final value shipping, when I used there postage they still charged me final value shipping, I will NEVER sell on Ebay again, ..So far I have paid over 35.00 in final value shipping, when half the time I used your postage and ended up paying more at the post office and OF COURSE from you!!!

Message 184 of 1,161
latest reply

paid 57.00 to ship a computer monitor amd ebay charged me an additional 2.95 for final value shipping, when I used there postage they still charged me final value shipping, I will NEVER sell on Ebay again, ..So far I have paid over 35.00 in final value shipping, when half the time I used your postage and ended up paying more at the post office and OF COURSE from you!!!

Message 185 of 1,161
latest reply

m either, last time I complained about it they took it off and said it was offensive..I don't think saying BS is offensive,,How do they know what I meant?

Message 186 of 1,161
latest reply

ontop of the ridicules fees some of you might have noticed as of today or yesterday or something... sellers of clothes (and many other items) dont have the free buy it now options anymore... ebay has lost there minds..they make it sooo hard for sellers..
Message 187 of 1,161
latest reply

I am with everyone on here, seller fees way too high,  after paying Paypal and Ebay there is nothing really left,  way too much, this last unit  I just sold ends my selling career on Ebay...they are just too too greedy and stupid,  all they are doing is cutting their own throat... no one in will want to sell on Ebay anymore,  too restricted, and too expensive... I am done with Ebay, I have used Craig's list with some good results and it doesn't cost a dime.... good bye Ebay,   Ebay you are just not worth it anymore...

Message 188 of 1,161
latest reply

$200.00 profit.  Nope!  Ebay took (cough cough) $49.00 of that.  I almost had a heart attack.  I think you should pay for the ad/listing like newpapers require and NOT have then rob you of part of the profits.  Craigslist doesn't extort your profits.

Unless you're a HUGE store like some in China, you cannot earn a decent living with a store on Ebay.  It's robbery.  If you raise YOUR prices because of the high Ebay final value fees, no one will buy your item because the cost is too high.

If another site came a long that just charged you for the ad/listing and did not sponsor a shipping program then I'd jump on it.  I hate Ioffer and Etsy, so I wont use them.  Ioffer is infested with fake items and Etsy is mostly handcrafted **bleep**.  Ebay is insane and takes too much money away from the seller.  

It's best to use the fee calculator BEFORE completing your listing so you know where you stand instead of being surprised at the end and totally **bleep** off when Ebay makes more than you do on your item.

Message 189 of 1,161
latest reply

A store is definitely the way to go. While the fees seem high, they would be much higher if you had a brick and mortar store. Or, if you just had your own website, it would cost a good deal more in advertising to attract customers. I think the fees are fair, though I obviously wish they were lower.

www.NameBrandThrift.com
Message 190 of 1,161
latest reply

Craigslist costs gas, time, and the frustration of people flaking out.

www.NameBrandThrift.com
Message 191 of 1,161
latest reply

I Have a question that I don't think has been addressed here and I really do not have any idea what the answer is so I am very curious.

Are these people that are Selling their items for $0.01  with a $29.95 Shipping Charge   getting away with someting?  Are they able to pay Less Fees to Ebay by doing so?   I understand that Ebay has rules against  Circumventing Ebay Fee's,  and THIS may fall into THAT category.  But if Ebay is charging Fee's on S&H   Then how is it advantageous to these sellers to do such a thing?  OR,  Is THIS the reason that Ebay Started charging Fee's on the Shipping to begin with?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Message 192 of 1,161
latest reply

Hi all,

This is my first time posting to an eBay forum and I found this thread half-way on purpose. After reading everyone's remarks I thought to myself...I'm feeling JUST like this!!

The good news for me is that I sell items that invariably cost about more than $100.00  Last month I went gangbusters even though I paid out the upcoming invoice outright to avoid being hit with it later I already have $114 waiting for me on the next cycle (which I will probably pay off so it's not looming over my head) I double checked everything I thought I already knew and it turned out that paypal ....JUST FOR BEING PAYPAL hits me a 2.9% on the Principal and then eBay hits me around 10% ON THE PRINCIPAL! 

SO here's how it works...I guess... Even though paypal takes their 2.9%+$0.30 on (lets use $100) so $2.90+$0.30=$3.20 ebay gets their 10 percent or whatever the heck it is ON MY $100...not the $96.80 I have left after PayPal's done! OUCH! 

It appears to me that Final Value on postage is charged when shipping is changed to a less expensive method after a transaction. For example sometimes it's cheaper for me to ship flat rate priority that parcel select depending on where it's going. If I get $20.19 for parcel select and change postage requirement / label printed to flat rate priority at $15.72 I get hit for the difference in "postage final value" since PayPal considers it residual profit. OUCH!

The ONLY saving grace for me at this point is that 13-14% is still less expensive than the cost of a store-front shop. Until I'm regularly hitting 5G in sales and payin 750 of that to Fee-Bay, I'll take it. THE SECOND I go over 750 in cost of eBay operations it's time to pull the plug and focus on my local market. Seems to make the most sense to me to consider Fee-Pay's financial trimmings as "Cost of Doing Business.' I get it that eBay used to be a great place to unload treasures and garage sale gems for a little gas money and maybe a nice dinner with the Mrs. once in a while but seriously it looks like that day has come and gone. I know for a fact that it won't be very long until I'm unwilling to pay by percent for cost of doing business!! 

Message 193 of 1,161
latest reply

That's a great idea, boycot these greedy pigs!

Message 194 of 1,161
latest reply

It's been quite a few years since I sold item(s) on ebay ; and I came back to the community just recently.  I am very concerned with the 10% Final Value Fee.  I think it's a rip off.  I sold an item for $61 ; which was worth (at least $100 used ; so I lost $40 right there) Only to have ebay charge me $6.10 for just that item in Final Value Fees. So $46.10 i'm out on an item I could have craigslisted for $100 cash? And I still have to ship it to the buyer ; as well as pay the paypal fees -- at my loss once again.   Ebay is now officially highway robbery, and obviously wants to serve it's investors, not it's sellers or buyers in the community.  I am disgusted. 

Message 195 of 1,161
latest reply