cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Just blow my mind on such high fees. I sold an ipod for 54 bucks and ending up paying all the fees (5.4 for ebay, 7.2 for shipping&packaging and 1.28 for paypal) of almost 15.

What's the point of selling on ebay. What are the points out there for ebay to convince people to sell stuffs at its site?

Ridiculous. This is my first selling ever, but I should better stay as a buyer.

Message 166 of 1,161
latest reply

.. i just came back to sell a few hard drives after a 2 yr hiatus because of seller fees. wish i hadn't .  its better off to find credible web forums for selling instead. 

only people selling small items can really profit here , its just not worth my time and effort  anymore.  i dont' see how the majority of store sellers stay afloat . the profit margin too small to make any sense of it .

i 'll never sell again on here again .  

- the profit of 8 drives i recently sold is less than what I made off 1 on a hardware seller forum .  

its utterly stupid for me to even consider ebay as a credible selling place when their fees are outrageous and uncalled for . i stuck my head back in the door to see if anything has changed .. nope .

im out guys ..

good luck with your business on here. your going to need THAT  money to boot.

Message 167 of 1,161
latest reply

I just stupidly sold a synth on ebay without updating what the charges are now... Paid 80 bucks for the 800 sale, plus of course the shipping fee.  I've been member since 99 and I'm completely done selling here.  I don't enjoy being raped..

Message 168 of 1,161
latest reply

I just sold an item for $500.

Ebay's fee = $50.00

Paypal's fee = $14.80

This can't be right??? I just started using eBay again after many many years and I don't remember this being so rediculous.

On top of that, I paid for the shipping and materials = $32.12

Message 169 of 1,161
latest reply

And greedbay would have taken 10% of that cost too !

Fees went up when free advertising on most categories was offered

But you can be sure Ebay only done this because it makes them more money and simplifies accounting

Message 170 of 1,161
latest reply

To play the devil's advocate here, eBay charges high fees because they can. I sell a lot of t-shirts I find at thrift stores for "Buy it Now" $14.99, $19.99, $24.99, etc. that I pay any where from 99 cents to a $2.99 for. Where else could I possibly do this at besides eBay. I sell a lot of antiques and collectables for huge profits that I find at garage sales, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. that I pay next to nothing for. The local consignment and antique stores charge any where from 35% to 50% of the final sale price to sell this stuff for me. Have you ever looked into buying, renting or leasing a small store space? I have. After your monthy lease payment, insurance costs, utility bills,  taxes, etc. forget about it. If you're selling something you're not making a high enough profit margin on maybe it's time to look for something else to sell. This is why tens of thousands of small businesses in America go out of business every year. No guarantees in small business. I'm not trying to come off harsh, but it's reality.

Message 171 of 1,161
latest reply

I want 375 for a 400 dollar item I need to charge 430.00 + to get that and then It just won't sell . I don't see how or why eBay should make $55.00 dollars . a sale is a sale final value fees are junk . I might use ebay again but I recently had a 425 item get contested by the buyer and nothing was wrong with it at all . It was a lot with 3 items one of which I put back on eBay and sold with no problems the buyer claimed one item was damaged and eBay chose to take his side after I explained there was no issue . I sold the item in question with no problems but over this I was still charged a final value fee on 425 item I have 100% feed back and them still took my money when no sale took place I lost over $60.00 in shipping and fees when I ended up returning item . eBay used to be great what happened ?
Message 172 of 1,161
latest reply

I seriously dont know how people can sell items on Ebay anymore and make any money. Between the Ebay and Paypal fees I dont know how it is worth it. The fees are close to 15% by the time you are done. I just sold an item for $2000 and the fees were almost $300.

EBAY/PAYPAL FEES ARE WAY TOO HIGH!

Message 173 of 1,161
latest reply

I sold a pair of boots for 227 and ebay charged me 23 sigh plus all the other charges..sigh way too high

Message 174 of 1,161
latest reply

I will never (?) sell again on E-Bay. They are killing the goose that lays gold eggs. My last sale was over a year ago and the listing costs plus the selling commision plus the PayPal fees was a turnoff to me.

I may buy from them again.

Message 175 of 1,161
latest reply

what they need is competition. they basically have the market cornered. you guys need to start and try to use alternative e-commerce options. ebay says they have all the options for you covered and thats why they charge so much, but inreality,, there is no one else to compete and drive the costs down. why do you think retail shopping has either went out of business or experienced huge decreases in sales over the last 15 years.... the internet shopping (competition) killed them. why do you think UPS/Fedex business is booming,, because of online retailing,, and their prices have not moved much over the years, hell they do more for me than ebay and I pay them less on each transaction than ebay and paypal. you cant get around ebay, they have you cornered, if you let them. I do think we need to express our discontent and try to use alternative online venues to sell our goods. they shouldnt get more than 2-4% PERIOD.. paypal is really ripping us off, they are legally laundering money and get 8.9% of the transaction!!! Visa/MC dont get but less than half of that from a regular money transaction.. there could be laws wrote to protest, but that will defy the freedom this country gives. let the market dictate itself.. someone just needs to start up their own company and compete!!!
Message 176 of 1,161
latest reply

really? you think this is the answer? most items on here are very competitive and most buyers of the rarer items are smart and know when you are charging too much.. so unless you get something for free, or below 75% of what you can sell it for,, you cant make a living on ebay. Period.
Message 177 of 1,161
latest reply

back in the early days, ebay only charged against the cost of the item, not shipping,, then people got smart, started charging 1% of the item cost and the shipping fees would be the 99% they really wanted for the item. of course ebay only charged about 4% back then, so why it takes 8%+ from selling price and shipping is outgrageous. Its time for someone to start another site!
Message 178 of 1,161
latest reply

eBay is the most difficult way to give things away that you cant sell locally.

By the time I realise I cant cram it in a small flatrate box (or the po decieves me into paying way too much), I'm boxing something up and driving across town for a stranger, no profit whatsoever.

ebay is chinabay now, and nothing more.  How do they even make money in china??? Willing to bet fees are higher for Americans, I know I cant accept paypal payments with fess higher than the item value..

Message 179 of 1,161
latest reply

I so agree!  I was selling on Ebay back in 1998 when the fees were very small.  I have not sold on Ebay for a long time and wanted to come back, but cannot believe how high the entire fees are.  Why fees on shipping since that money is going to the shipper, not the seller? 

I bought a $298 item at a department store for $225.  I used the final value fee calculater on a sales price of $279, otherwise people could buy it for a little more at a store.  So the difference was $54 more than what I paid.  The Final Value Fee was $29.48 and Paypal was about $22.  That's almost $52!  I would make $2 !!!!???  Except that I would have to drive it to the PO.  Come on Ebay...isn't billions of dollars in profit enough for you?  How about listening to us and lower your fees.

Message 180 of 1,161
latest reply