cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

WISE UP EBAY.... or not. Good luck with loosing out on millions of sales because of your greed. The fees are ridiculous. Between the fees and scammer's it's a terrible place to do business for honest people.
Message 856 of 1,161
latest reply

To add to the rant, I haven't been a seller on eBay for long. I am also unemployed, therefore decided eBay looked like a good idea to sell some things and make a quick buck. Boy was I wrong. I sold maybe $300 worth of clothes and other stuff like an iPad and a cheap phone over the course of september, and was slapped across the face with $110 in fees. I have $250 in my paypal so they are basically asking for 50% of my earnings, and when asked to help make that a little easier for myself they swiftly told me $39 would be taken off my fee as a one time only condition. They deducted $31.06. I don't understand how they think this will attract new people to sell on their website, these fees are outrageous and until fixed I will be taking my business else where. I am literally losing money to sell my own things. Maybe i didnt understand the fees well enough but I find they are very vaguely explained unless you really dig and ask customer support for information. It is great to read others who have the same problem! eBay should listen to their customers.
Message 857 of 1,161
latest reply

Message 858 of 1,161
latest reply

Fees to high...I'm going to sell on "MERCARI" !!!
Message 859 of 1,161
latest reply

I decided to give Ebay a shot. Bad idea. I sold for about 20 days. 14 total items. Initially, on paper, it shows my profits as $212 verse my product acquisition cost. 
Crunching the numbers, between final sale fees, paypal fees, 10% extra  fee on final shipping, final fees charged immediately, yet buyer had not paid yet, I calculated that I'm actually at a net loss of $16.50. Ebay literally took everything, and then some. Granted, I will recoup some once I either get the buyers who havent paid yet to pay, or I will cancel the order. Assuming I recoup that, I will be at net gain of only $26.52 of the original $212. Maybe 20 hours worth of posting listings, printing labels, traveling to the post office and acquiring product.   ($1.32/hr of the original $10.60/hr profit)

Meanwhile, I  started using Facebook Market place and various Facebook buy/sell pages at the same time. My total profits there were $4876 over the same 20 day period. I killed it there. Maybe $80 worth of gas to acquire and sell product. Net gain of around $4796.

I had 47 other items for sale on Ebay, but as soon as I crunched the numbers, I realized this is now just a scam site for sellers and took them off. I'm surprised my antivirus didn't get set off clicking on Ebay. This page in the realm of a virus now. Norton should tag it as such.

Message 860 of 1,161
latest reply

There shouldn't be any surprises.  Ebay and paypal both make it clear what they will charge you.   (And it's more clear than Amazon which breaks their fees down into site final value fee % + category final value fee % + flat rate charge per sale. )

For ebay, you should calculate what you want to get from the sale, then find out what the total price + shipping + handling the customer will be charged.  Then add AT LEAST 20% of that back to the sale price.  

So let's say you want $10 for an item, with $4 shipping and $1 handling = $15.  20% of that is $3, so you should price the item at $13 instead of $10.

If sellers have to price their items extra high to not make a loss, and this drives down the number of sale, then ebay loses out too.  (Or they'll end up only having sellers from China who only have to pay a few cents on shipping anyway.)

Message 861 of 1,161
latest reply

$296.47
$77.78
Net selling costs with shipping paypal fees and ebay fees
26.2%

Remind me again why I should continue selling here?
Message 862 of 1,161
latest reply

Increeasing the sell price hurts the ability to sell, hurts the economy, hurts the buyer. We need lower fees.

It's unethical to be assessed a fee on shipping.

If ebay would simply consider lowering the final value fee to 7% and stop assessing the charge on shipping, it could perhaps increase sales by 30% (so what a minor decrease in revenue of under 5% which won't impact the "invesotrs" of its stock - curious why it's still publicly traded anyway except to serve as a ponzi process to keep getting executive compensation higher) and the major impact would be millions of happier people. Guess they do not like a happy society.

Message 863 of 1,161
latest reply

I am selling my tools now that I switched careers. So far I have sold 420.00 on tools I spent a heck of alot more on. These are my personal possessions. I am not a marketplace. After all is said and done between shipping and eBay fees and Paypal fees the money I am taking in is 33% lower than the money the buyer pays. The shipping discount eBay offers is a joke too. I expect there to be costs, but handing out 33% of all money on every transaction is ridiculous.

Message 864 of 1,161
latest reply

I have a store and the fees are out of control too.  I have been on ebay since the begginning in fact i was one of the first 1500 people to sign up.  But the fees over the years go up and up and i sell big ticket items now i just forward the cost onto the consumer every time.  Which I don't think it's fair for the consumer to get charged 25 - 33% extra to buy something on ebay.  I've gone to Amazon now as big ticket items and so on are less.  Really work with there sellers.  Not rude on the phone like when you call ebay.  Or call them and ebay points the finger at paypal and paypal points the finger right back.  Nearly every time there is a problem i go back and forth.  This is why you won't see ebay last forever they have already lost millions to other online marketplaces because they can't control their overhead and fees.  Or allow you to know exactly what protocol is used in determining the outcome of a chargeback or dispute.  Many times they don't even reply to the chargeback and the other client wins because no paperwork was ever submitted.  Happened to me about 4 years ago I had to sue paypal and my customer for a chargeback they did because paypal wouldn't release to me what paperwork was provided to the credit card company.  

Message 865 of 1,161
latest reply

I don't understand, I sell some items for a total of $172.04 then the fees are $51.83???? What the heck is going on!!! That's it Ebay! Too much GREED! Time to move on sellers! 

Message 866 of 1,161
latest reply

Imagine selling some items for a total of $172.04 then the fees are $51.83! (30.13% exorbitant fee) I could relate!

Message 867 of 1,161
latest reply

You mentioned Paypal as a finger point..EBAY owns Paypal...There double dipping fees.....Ebays 10 percent and  paypals 3 percent...

Message 868 of 1,161
latest reply

WRONGGGGGG...There stock is down over 10 percent...probably for this very reason

Message 869 of 1,161
latest reply

The main Problem I see is that EBAY charges a final value fee on the final price...YET paypal takes out there peice after the final value....This should be Illegal at best...final VALUE should be AFTER they take out for shipping and paypal...NOT BEFORE....THATS FINAL VALUE...That would be alot more fair

Message 870 of 1,161
latest reply