cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

bonanza has a 9% fee no diffrence over there. Im removing all my garbage from that site since it has turned into ebay aswell

Message 796 of 1,161
latest reply

I just sold some pews for our local church.  Now I find that EBay took 10%, PayPal 3% plus a charge for the invoice.  I have decided NO more selling.  It was fun while it lasted, but Ebay goodbye.  

I am returning to the real world, live buying and selling, much more fun.

Greed, greed greed.

Message 797 of 1,161
latest reply

Same here. Just sold a $380 video card, between eBay and PayPal fees and the shipping costs I had to eat because the eBay shipping calculator was wrong, I lost $56 of that.

With these fees I could have just made some kid on Craigslist happy by giving it away at a lower price instead.

It's insane. I feel like $5 total between PayPal and eBay would have been an appropriate fee for the service they provide. With these fees I an only imagine the only sellers are people who don't realize how high the fees are going to be and then never sell again.

That's certainly the boat I'm in.

eBay really are not commensurate with the service theyprovide. They need to top out at $5 to reflect the value eBay actually provides.
Message 798 of 1,161
latest reply

14% fee sounds small but when you factor everything in its almost impossible to make profit on anything sold here without paying for membership to get it lowered which can cost up to £250 a month so you can forget about opening a business on ebay. 

I doubt ebay will ever lower the fee though since they have pretty much monopolised this market, gumtree needs to start adding a payment system.

Message 799 of 1,161
latest reply

Try Close5 or Let Go.   You can Download the APP.  it is Totally 100 Percent Free to List and Sell your Items!  100 Percent Free!

Message 800 of 1,161
latest reply

Just wanted to post in this thread to add that I'm leaving ebay because of the final value fee.

I'M MOVING TO SWAPPA.COM AND I SUGGEST ANYONE RESELLING PHONES DOES THE SAME! THEY ONLY CHARGE A FLAT FEE OF $10 PER PHONE!

**bleep** YOU EBAY YOU GREEDY MONOPOLY **bleep**S! 10% IS ABSOLUTLEY REDICULOUS!

Message 801 of 1,161
latest reply

I was shocked to see after a recent sale of a $40 item, EBay is charging a final value fee of $6.00?!?!? And why is the shipping cost, paid by the buyer ($20) from which I made no profit included in my 10% final value fee?!?! Plus add the PayPal fees and I'm out even more money. So much for using EBay to make a buck! They have lost my business!!! 

Message 802 of 1,161
latest reply

$60.00 Final Value Fee off of a pair of $600 Guns N' Roses tickets that I had to get rid of!?  Wow.  Had I known about this, I wouldn't have sold them through here.

I'll stick to just buying on here, if ever.

Message 803 of 1,161
latest reply

So stupid! I listed my sons old Pokemon cards to help him make some pocket money only to loose 20% to eBay, and then PayPal took their cut as well. Wonderful. I covered the fees for him thinking "it can't be much" 😒
Message 804 of 1,161
latest reply

I completely agree. It is absolutely too high. I am done with them as well. Moving onto other services. 10% is insane.
Message 805 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay should be ashamed of itself.  This is not Christies Auction house nor are most of the clients able to absorb the high fees and incorrect calculated shipping charges.  This is the last item I sell on EBAY.  Another corporate organization succumbs to greed!

Message 806 of 1,161
latest reply

I also received a 10% Final Value Fee from ebay, so I called to complain and they decreased the fee by 50%. I encourage all of you to do the same as I don't think this is right for ebay to sneak this in after the fact!

Message 807 of 1,161
latest reply

I have some **bleep** 4.35 final value fee on an item that sold for $28.  I don't remember this being disclosed in advance.  All the sudden I log into my account see I have a bill for this amount!!    Something shady is going on here.   And it is not clear how they came to that amount.   

Message 808 of 1,161
latest reply

To be fair to ebay I just noticied in "fine print" that it states before you post the item for sale:  

"If your item sells, we charge a final value fee based on a percentage of the total cost to the buyer, less any sales tax"

And they offer a calculator online before you even post the item so you can see what the fee is.  But I don't see a page that states how they come to this number.  Some percentage which means they can change it when ever.   

Basically just use the calculator and factor in that fee before you decide on the auction price.   

Message 809 of 1,161
latest reply

after many years of bying i decided to sell an antique bottle, i remenberred the customary 3 % , so i did not check the fine print, finally sold, for a fixed price of 525.00..much to my surprice i got a bill a month latter for about 70 bucks , final sale something , mail fee some other BS and i paid 40 bucks on shipping plus insurance outside ebay USPS , so i got screwed  big because i am an oltimer that did not notice or read the fine print.

now i have real antiques that i wanna sell and this **bleep**s are meking sure i think long and hard if is a good idea to sell here, i am leaving thhis place and exploring other fix price sites...

Message 810 of 1,161
latest reply