cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

10% Final Value Fee plus a Shipping Fee. **bleep** you ebay! Im done with you.

Message 601 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow!! my jaw dropped! after I looked at the Final Value fee! I am done selling on ebay!!

Message 602 of 1,161
latest reply

I so agree! It is not worth selling items on eBay after PayPal takes their cut and eBay sends you their invoice. I really don't think I will be selling again on here. I might as well take whatever I have to a flea market and sell it. 

Message 603 of 1,161
latest reply

I'll never sell on ebay again either.  Outragious fees.  Gee Ebay why not just take it all.  They hold your money for ever then want 10% of it, .  I have no problem with the paypal fee.  

Message 604 of 1,161
latest reply

Have any of you contacted eBay directly?  I was attempting to find contact info when I came across this forum.  I just sold an item for $2000, and they billed me $200.  I just assumed this was an error on their part.  I was never expecting a 10% fee for a simple listing!!!   

Message 605 of 1,161
latest reply

I don't disagree that the Final Value Fee of 10% is too high, but before everyone take's their Selling business elsewhere, consider that no other site has the extreme audience of potential buyers that Ebay has...and they obviously know it.

Essentially, this is just another "Tax" that is imposed on sellers, that ultimately will cut into profits for regular sellers, althought they must have some discounted rates.

Sellers need to be smarter about how they list their items and consider the increased use of Reserve Price (yet the return of a listing fee).  Utilizing this will definitely result in Inflation, as the final sales cost may be higher than before.

No doubt Ebay is not fully interested in the sellers making the most money, or the buyers getting the best value, but it is a business.

Perhaps if the volume of listed items drops significantly, there may be an adjustment of the fees....that is the most effective way to "Contact Ebay", as I doubt they will respond to direct comments on this forum.

It is what it is.....at least we have the chance to sell and buy...

Then there is this article...http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m11/i25/s04

Message 606 of 1,161
latest reply

This will result in 2 developements, people going elsewhere to sell AND deals outside of their system.

Message 607 of 1,161
latest reply

Sell your items in a store front...then tell me how much overhead you have. Will be well over 10% guaranteed.
Message 609 of 1,161
latest reply

Ive had to wait 3 weeks for my money from paypal,money that i really needed weeks ago.and ive had to pay over $50 in fees for a $400 item.I'm  a above standard ebayer with a 100% feedback and they still make me wait for it.ebay base themselves in Switzerland  so they don't  pay much tax..bunch of thieves..i think i might have a garage sale next time.

Message 610 of 1,161
latest reply

Fees crazy not worth selling here now i will continue to buy on here but as a seller i cant breakeven. I bought a guitar from store front rare. But did not love it in the end. I paid 1600 and sold it on ebay for the same essentially getting my money back. Then the fees came in and i lost money on the deal i should have just returned it back to the store even though it was out of town.
Message 611 of 1,161
latest reply

Yet another unhappy customer completely shocked to have to pay a 10% tax after selling my item. I think the worst part of it is that it was a complete surprise. I've even been searching for a policy after the fact, and it seems to have been made deliberately impossible to find. If they're going to do this, they can at least be up front about it! Will avoid selling on ebay whenever possible going forward.

Message 612 of 1,161
latest reply

I sold an airplane instrument for $1,200, paid the $20 shipping myself and waited 3 weeks to get paid by Paypal (they demanded that I show them proof of delivery!). I thought the $1,165 payment I ultimately received from Paypal included Ebay's fee. Well, no, it didn't. A couple of weeks later Ebay sent me an email thanking me for my $120 payment! So my total sales cost ended up being $175 ($120 + $35 + $20), or 14.6%. Ebay charged 10% and Paypal 2.9%. Compare this to a realtor that will sell your $300,000 home for 7% - and they WORK HARD to make the sale, Ebay does basically nothing! To add insult to injury, Ebay will charge that fee even if the buyer doesn't make payment! I was particularly erked because Ebay didn't disclose these fees when I made the listing (yeah, yeah, I should have researched it, so save your breath!).

There are alternatives to Ebay, thankfully. I sold two cars and a travel trailer on Craigslist, which cost me NOTHING. I also sold a $55,000 airplane on a commercial aviation web site that has a free used aircraft listing. The disadvantage of Craigslist is that they divided into local markets. But wait, there are web crawlers out there that will search various Craigslists for specific items like RVs and present it in a convenient format. Clubs many times also have a used for sale section for members on their web sites.

I sure will think twice before listing a high value item on Ebay in the future!

Message 613 of 1,161
latest reply

I don't mind the 10% final value fee all that much, except that it applies also to shipping charges. I sell small books and ship at cost, $2.79 (2.54 for 1st class shipping and 25 cents for the padded mailer). But eBay takes 28 cents of this as a final value fee. Sorry eBay, I'm not selling shipping, I'm selling books. So eBay gets a 28 cent profit for doing nothing, and I take a 28 cent loss to support eBay, even before the item I sell is charged. Oh, and then Paypal takes an additional fee on the shipping. Shipping is not a product, it's a service. I see a class action in the future.

Message 614 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree the recent increase in fees has ruined eBay.  I will no longer be selling anything through here because of the exorbitant fees charged. They should only be charging a flat rate for insertion. It is insane that they take such a big % cut like this. Whoever is in charge of eBay should lose their jobs immediately. 

Message 615 of 1,161
latest reply