cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

After paying close to 20% for ebay/paypal fees on a total of $400 sales I think that is my last ebay sale.  You need to sell your items for well over the fair value, just to break even.  I will be better off using craigslist and selling the items as a fire sale.  Then I don't even have to wait for Ebay/Paypal to release the money they tie up.  Too bad, Ebay used to be great place to buy/sell items...

Message 556 of 1,161
latest reply

@sportsmans_safari wrote:

I guess my only real quam is that anytime a PayPal user contests legitimate charges they win, and they get my item and their money back.  Hasn't happened much, but it has happemed. 

Glad you mentioned the PP claims issue.  I just came back to ebay and PP after about 10 years away.  Beyond the new fee % slapping me in the face, I had my second buyer put in an unauthorized use of account claim.  I had already sent the item just a couple hours before.  I put an interception order in with the USPS.  It's been a nightmare ever since.  PP has locked my account in that I can't put money into the account and the claim gutted the balance; the buyer cancelled the claim after they heard I recalled the item, and the USPS tracking shows the USPS is still delivering the item.

We're done with both ebay and PP.  Craigslist works better for us.  The items now get sold and stay sold, and we get paid immediately and move on with making a living.

Message 557 of 1,161
latest reply

I listed an item for auction, starting at $.99.  It sold for $.99.  PayPay charges were $.33.  Ebay took 10% of the $.99, plus 10% of the $4.24 shipping, plus .20 listing fee = $.72.  So, the total fees were $1.05 on a $.99 sale!!!  Not only did I not make a profit, I lost 6 cents!!!  When EBay started charging % of the shipping charges, too, they became unappealing as a selling venue.

Message 558 of 1,161
latest reply

I sold several small items, and the overall fees were 22% of the totaled sale prices.  Since they started adding shipping price to sale price to determine their 10% fee, (on to of PayPal fees), they are no longer seller profitable.

Message 559 of 1,161
latest reply

I JUST FOUND OUT THIS fee existed......

Message 560 of 1,161
latest reply

I am sick of their selling tips when an item does not sell. They wanted me to start a new item out at 99 cents!! They must think I am crazy. on top of that I could not leave negative feedback on a buyer that did not pay and has a 100% rating!

Message 561 of 1,161
latest reply

Agree with ebay fee complaints here...after years of ebay buying just sold...4 items sold to 1 person in qld...ebay calculated $90 postage & added that to selling price. I'm to pay ebay $75 in fees. I had advised buyer to pay $50 combined postage (large/heavy items). Ebay won't accept my revised postage rate. Outrageous...spoke to an ebay consultant in Philipines ---no adjustment will be made by ebay. Won't sell again. Their instructions weren't user friendly when selling & couldn't revise invoice etc...not happy!!!!

Message 562 of 1,161
latest reply

Hi. Is too hard sell also the fees is now become hard.
Sold one tape 5 usd. Plus 2.50 shipping. Just I got 3.50 usd paypal fees 9.9% and ebay insertion and fees total around 12%. That I am charging of my wallet the envelope. Print suply . what hell is going on with ebay????
Message 563 of 1,161
latest reply

I and most others have long said that it's hard to make a buck on ebay, with the ultra competitive marketplace and the exorbitant fees.  It's true, you pretty much have to over-price your items in order to come out with any decent profit.  This means then, that items often get over hyped or fluffed up as better than they are, in order for the seller to end up with just a nominal profit.  This is not a good thing for anyone...the buyer (who gets something that doesn't quite live up to its description), the seller (who is at risk of unhappy buyers ruining his ebay status and costing him even higher fees), and ebay whom neither the buyers nor the sellers are happy with.  Ebay has a lot of overhead costs, I'm sure.  But, my thoughts still come back to the usual culprit in such matters in our society...capitalism.  Ebay is a publicly traded company on the stock exchange.  What does this mean.  They feel they have to make every buck they can to distribute to their wealthy stockholders, rather than give we lowly sellers a break.  You see, if we'd all had the good sense (and financial ability of course) to invest in Ebay stock before or at the time we decided to become 'ebayers', then we'd be sharing in the wealth.  It's the only way to make money on Ebay!!!    sorry...I get carried away!

Message 564 of 1,161
latest reply

I flip laptops on eBay. I find older laptops for 35 bucks, refurbish them to working order and sell them for 45 bucks.

I flipped 3 laptops last month. I made 45 bucks. I owe 43.
I'm done. I quit.
Message 565 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay is trying to survive on my dime their running out of time. I have sold on Ebay for 17 years and I've finally reached the breaking point. Just recently I sold an idea or should I say I thought I sold an item. I along with many sellers are now dealing with the over whelming number of non pay bidders. The person basically used my auction to comparative shop. Bidding on my laptop and another of which he ended up with both and told me thanks but no thanks. Ebay like computer stores rebate programs makes sellers go through a long ordeal to get their fees and credits refunded ofcourse hoping you won't go through the hassle. But on second thought given the final value costs along with fees on its 300 selling price why would I want to sell the old laptop? Ebay's fees and final value price alone was $49 on the 300 price. This is before the Paypal fees. Thus unless your article for sale allows a lot of profit margin your most likely going to get little or no profit. No wonder my desire to sell items on Ebay has tailed off in the last 3-4 years. No wonder Craigslist and Pawn Shops have made a come back. There is just no profit in Ebay unless your running high volume percentage sales in which your looking to make 3 bucks on every 30 dollar transactions.

Message 566 of 1,161
latest reply

After receiving my latest seller invoice, which was much higher than the calculater had led me to expect, I've pulled my remaining items and will sell no more on eBay.  The extremely narrow margin just doesn't make it worthwhile anymore.  It's too bad, because it used to be a terrific place to buy and sell cheaply and I loved it.

I'm supremely confident that the internet marketplace will generate a lower-priced competitor eventually....it always does, if the market is permitted to work.  Ebay provides only a transactional interface; it doesn't generate the inventory or handle the items or perform any other tangible service.  Buyers and sellers assume all the risk and do all the work.  It's a self-winding profit machine, and its current owners are too damned greedy to see the writing on the wall.

Message 567 of 1,161
latest reply

E-bay I am done selling on your site way to high cost and makes it hard to create a business on here. I am looking for an alternative place to sell items and if anyone knows of any let me know.

@blondtxnurse wrote:

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 568 of 1,161
latest reply

I couldn't agree more... I've been using eBay off and on for years and have always found it to be a mutually beneficial relationship.  Now, it's skewed so heavily in eBay's favour that it's just not worth it anymore.

eBay:  You've lost touch, and you've forgotten who made you what you are today... your users.

I'm out.

Message 569 of 1,161
latest reply

I just got the new iPhone 6S and I wanted to sell my iPhone 6 on eBay. After checking I have found that it's gonna cost around $52 in fees if I sold the phone for $500 on eBay after I get shafted on the final value fee and shipping. Basically getting $450 for a phone that is worth a lot more. I'll definately not be selling it on eBay now. 

There is nothing eBay do to deserve such a high fee. I have to create the listings, ship the item and communicate with the buyer. All eBay does is let me host it on their site. There should be a maximum final fee allowed for expensive items for cell phones and other expensive items but this will never happen with such a greedy company. 

Message 570 of 1,161
latest reply