cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

10% is ripp off, I'm not selling on ebay anymore. Last item cost me $50 with paypal fee

Message 541 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebays fees are way too high.  Sold an item for 1.99 and with shipping I made profit of 1.20. Really. Won't sell any more

lower your fees

Message 542 of 1,161
latest reply

Same here.....

I havent sold an item in over year....... and BOY... was I in for an unplesent suprise when I bot the invoice for final value fees.

Message 543 of 1,161
latest reply

Absolutely agree. Just started selling a few days ago. Sold several things for $1.50 each. Ebay took 15 cents and PayPal took 45 cents each. Shipping cost another 50 cents each. Took home 40 cents per item. Would have never sold them had I known beforehand that PayPal charged a 30 cent fee per item in addition to the other two 10% fees between the companies. Almost took a best offer for a dollar on one of them too, wouldn't have made a single penny if that had been the case. Never again. Always wondered why sellers who are on both Amazon and Ebay asked for less on Amazon than they did here, now I know why.
Message 544 of 1,161
latest reply

Whoops, looks like I made a mistake. Paypal charges 2.9% + 30 cents, not another 10%. My mistake, but still only came away with 50 cents per item

Message 545 of 1,161
latest reply

OMG.....  If I would have known about this sooner I never would have done it in the first place.  FINAL VALUE FEE??????  Seriously????  I just got ripped off $100 that I desperately need right now!!!!!  I ended up selling an item below market value anyways only to be hit by an additional 10% decrease.  I didn't even notice this until I did some in depth reading and looking on my account.  This is my first and final sale.  Thank you ebay for taking way more than neccessary.  I don't even want to buy anything on here now.  Craigslist here I come!!!

Message 546 of 1,161
latest reply

I haven't sold on Ebay for years, but when I first started selling in the early days it seemed like I was paying around 3% total (maybe I'm wrong), but there was always a listing fee.  I only consider Ebay now to sell items laying around the shop that otherrwise have no real outlet for sale.  But, the fees are clearly disclosed as well as PayPal fees.  I guess my only real quam is that anytime a PayPal user contests legitimate charges they win, and they get my item and their money back.  Hasn't happened much, but it has happemed.  What I have found is that EBay provides a level of marketing of my items that otherwise doesn't exist, or that I can't afford.

Message 547 of 1,161
latest reply

I recently sold two apple watches totalling over $1200 for both of them. After ebays fees and paypals they took over 200. And after shipping I lost another $50. So selling here on ebay isn't what it used to be. I have been selling higher end watches recently and I wanted to use ebay for my protection but after researching I would have lost almost 600 on the deal. That 600 would eat all of my profit and actually cause me to lose some. I just don't see how they justify this and are still thriving. I won't sell anything on here again until its lowered. No way they should take over 200 for a little over 1200 in sales. 

Message 548 of 1,161
latest reply

Nerver sell items on eBay anymore. The final fee is really ridiculously!
Message 549 of 1,161
latest reply

Agreed.  It seems like the % fee should be reduced as the final value goes up.  I can't imagine why higher priced items cost them any more other than maybe the "ebay" guarantee which I hear many buyers use to scam the sellers.  I recently sold an $800 camera and thought I'd make a little money, but after paying over $100 in ebay and paypal fees, I barely broke even.  Not worth my time.

I won't sell on ebay. 

Message 550 of 1,161
latest reply

I think ebay fees for selling are out rageous.  They have always been bad, but are worse now than ever before.  I don't recall paying a Final Value Fee for the postage that I collect for an item.  I don't even benefit from that money.  It goes to the post office.  I can't see how they can legally call this a Final Value Fee" for an item.  I have seriously been thinking about trying to instigate a class action suit with a group of other ebay sellers against ebay.  They are literally robbing us with their fees and I would like to do something about it.  I have heard stories where people have sued them for variious reasons and won.  Anybody out there got any ideas.  When I was able to work, I was a paralegal in a law office and I would jump at the chance to become part of a class action sit to collect some of these overcharges of seller fees or to get them lowered for the future.  I have seriously been considering going to an attorney for advice on how to get a class action suit started. 

Message 551 of 1,161
latest reply

I AGREE TOTALLY AND WHEN SOMEONE ELSE STARTS A NEW COMPANY, PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER EBAY STICKING IT TO US.

I FOR ONE WILL LEAVE IN AN INSTANT

Message 552 of 1,161
latest reply

YES, THE FEES ARE TOO HIGH AND when  ALI EXPRESS MOVES INTO THE USA  ebay will lose and people will remember

Message 553 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow... this is unreal.  I had no idea about (1) the final value fees, or (2) the widespread outrage... it seems like both should be more visible.  I've been a longtime (though sporadic) ebay user - both for buying and selling... and this is the first time I really took notice and was angered by the fees.  They are way higher than I remember - and I just went to the calculator, and it seems they may vary by item type / category (or at least ebay has set it up to accommodate that).  I'll keep using this as one of multiple sources to pricehunt for bargains - but I'm done selling here. 

Another alternative is make charitable donations and get a tax deduction (if you itemize deductions)... the amount you save on taxes could be comparable to what you'd earn on ebay, and you're doing good...

I'm really disappointed in ebay.

Message 554 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay fees are preposterous and need to be dealt with immediately!!  IT'S SICKENING AND VERY DISAPPOINTING   

Message 555 of 1,161
latest reply