cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

This just in: ridiculous BS! I just confirmed today that the "final value credits" are just as bad as I thought they would be. My order cancellation just went throught today, and this is the response that I get from eBay. Instead of just deducting the amount from my total "seller fees", they decide they still want the whole amount, including the fraudulent canceled Final Value Fee, and then they will, at their discretion, allow me to use the credit towards future listings.

Again: NO THANKS, eBay!!!! I will reserve my cash for the free market, and not be limited by your "final value credit".

It's safe to say that I will be paying the seller's fees without the additional fraudulent charge. I will update to see how that goes; I'm counting on more BS.

Message 406 of 1,161
latest reply

Sold something for the first time in a while and was very taken back by the final value fees!   Thought to myself great ebay is sitting in their plush offices becoming millionaires one fee at a time by shafting its sellers!   This site is becoming fee hell for sellers - there really is no way to make a profit on items.   Sell an item valued at $350 for $350 and by the time you pay all the fees and ship it you will leave with $300 if you are lucky - you just lost $50 and ebay just got richer!

Not only that, I have been with ebay for years and when I went to sell that last item the system refused to let me list the item until I set up auto-billing because it said I had a bad history... yah going on 1000 transactions at 100% over 10 years and I have a bad reputation.  GEESH ebay execs you are working hard at losing your GOOD customers!

If/when I have to sell I will be going to crraigslist or another outlet that wont **bleep** me as a seller!

Ebay will soon need to change its name to chinajunkbay!

Message 407 of 1,161
latest reply

I just tried to get an itemization of my fees, because I saw the invoice that ebay sent, and thought "that can't be right."

I couldn't get an itemization.  The landing page kept showing an error message, so I went through the individual items sold to find out that in fact the invoice was correct. 10% final value fee?  Includes shipping?  Plus Paypal fees?  I have been with ebay since 1998.  At that time, it was a revelation, now it is just a cash cow.  We do all the work, and they get all the profit.  I am done selling on ebay, and I think on principle I am done buying here too.  Now it is just another site where businesses sell their goods, it used to be a swap meet for the average joe.  They should change the pricing structure for sellers who sell less than 10 items a month.  But they won't.  In theory with greater volume, the price per transaction should fall.  Why is it that ebay has continued to raise prices?  The answer?  Because they can.  They have effectively become the market, and unless something changes, they are that market.  So for me that dusty old lamp is going to stay in the garage, because it is not worth my time to sell it on ebay.

Message 408 of 1,161
latest reply

eBay has never been my livelihood, just away to recycle stuff from my hobbies (photography equipment, etc.), so I can take a small loss selling an item and then buy something different. Their new business model has really spoiled this for me. Over 15 years I've sold about $80,000 worth of stuff. I sometimes go a year at a time without selling anything. I recently sold a few lenses, and was bowled over by the new 10% final value fee. I realize they can do whatever they want, but at these rates I am inclined to stop selling, and therefore also to stop buying, because l know I'll have to take a bigger hit if I sell it later. Possibly a good thing, I've wasted too much money as a direct result of eBay's existence over the years. The time may be ripe for a competitor to emulate the eBay of 2005 and take a big chunk of their business. The competitor could still use PayPal, would be interesting to see how eBay would respond to that, might increase PayPal fees for designated "hostile parties."

Message 409 of 1,161
latest reply

YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT!!!! **bleep**!!! ITS RIDICULOUS!!! FOUND OUT ABOUT MY FEES FOR INSERTION AND FINAL SALES, AMONG OTHER FEES THAT I AM STILL NOT CLEAR ON.
FIRST TIME eBAYER... FIRST TIME AND LAST TIME MISTAKE... MUST TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I HAD FOUND A COOL WAY OF ENJOYING MY HOBBY OF COIN COLLECTING AND MAKE A LITTLE BIT OF PROFIT IN THE PROCESS. THE RUG WAS JUST PULLED FROM UNDER MY FEET. I BOUGHT OVER $$$3,000 DOLLARS WORTH OF COINS AND THOUGHT I COULD RESELL MY COINS HERE ON eBAY... NNNNNOTTTT!!!!! NO WAY!!! IM DONE WITH THESE GUYS!
I NEED TO FIND A BETTER PLACE TO DO SALES IN ANOTHER PLACE. ANY IDEAS GUYS??? ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME. I NEED TO MAKE MY MONEY BACK!! HELP!!!
Message 410 of 1,161
latest reply

Just went searching for what the final value fee currently is, since ebay conveniently leaves that out in their help section describing what it is. 

just states ebay charges a final value fee, okay so how is it calculated, what is the percentage?  oh it includes the shipping, just in case you might try to make some money on shipping charges, they want a piece of that too.

so found my answer here, %10, that is a bit steep.  haven't sold in a while till recently and when I first joined, the percentage I believe was either 3 or 5%. 

they should really scale the percentage.  like up to $500, 5%,    500-1000   6%  something along those lines. 

I think if they made it crystal clear when you begin to list an item to sell, what their cut of the sale is going to be, a lot users would probably reconsider selling on ebay.

Message 411 of 1,161
latest reply

Check out Bonanza

Message 412 of 1,161
latest reply

goodbye ebay hello AMAZON

Message 413 of 1,161
latest reply

First time seller and really ticked about the lack of upfront fee disclosure.  Won't be using ebay again!!!!  A 10% Final Value Fee is absurd.

Message 414 of 1,161
latest reply

So what are the alternatives?

Current options

-Bonanza - limited inventory and visibility

- Craigslist - hyper local. solid for pick up. limited exposure (especially for rare/specialty items

- Amazon - possibly best alternative. existing shoppers. global exposure

Others?

- Etsy

- Category related site (example: Music gear - Reverb, or communication boards of enthusiasts)

Message 415 of 1,161
latest reply

Haven't sold on eBay in a while and that unexpected final value fee just made this the last time I do until they lower it. It's absolutely ridiculous how much they think this service is worth, at this fee level it makes much more sense to sell local and wait or sell on Amazon or Bonanza. They just made me an ex-ebay seller.

Message 416 of 1,161
latest reply

I also have not sold on ebay for a long time and was shocked by the fees I got!

GOOD BYE EBAY! there are other places I can sell on the web with a set 3%

Like Audiogone.

Message 417 of 1,161
latest reply

Just looked at my invoice for April and its scary how all the fees add up,

not just the final value fees of $720

or the $50/month store fees,

or the paypal fees but the additional charge of "shipping fees", that small bs tack on is another $660!! what in the?...

Total fees of $1458 not inc. PPal

Also supposed to get a 20% discount on final value fees but its only 15%, will have to call about that.

That $100+ Top Rated Seller discount is so worth being bent over by Customer Service and being forced to accept used and damaged returns from lying scammers after more than a month of use and being forced to issue a full refund inc shipping(more like Bay stole the $) that only cost us $600 this month ...again what in the?...

I live in a small coastal town of 800 people & $1458 is more than most people around here inc. me pay for their mortgage.

I try to rationalize the expense, if I had a local storefront it would be at least $600/month + utilities plus Id have to be there all the time or pay someone

and wouldnt get nearly the global exposure I do on Ebay,

just feeling used & abused and needed to vent ,thanks for listening,Im Bostons New Garden 

Message 418 of 1,161
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope, I'm done with ebay after this last transaction. 10% fee and then a 2.9% fee from paypal. 12.9% total.

I'm deleting my account after my last item ships.
Message 419 of 1,161
latest reply

I was selling electronics, you all may know the profit of electronics is getting lower and lower, the profit of a RAM or SD card may be about 5-15%, and this stupid eBay still stays in the 90's, she still believe we have more than 50% profit, so she's charging us 10% final value fee!!!

This is NOT a win-win definitely and eBay is gonna replaced by Taobao (China) eventually. RIP eBay~

Message 420 of 1,161
latest reply