cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Looks like the greedy giant is looking for more, now there gonna scumbag us with a 2% reserve fee. So if you list with a reserve and sell your item its, 10% final vaule + 3% paypal + 2% reserve fee, grand total 15% of your money. And lets not forget if you charge for shipping, thats 10% of the shipping for them to. Welcome to coprate America.

Message 391 of 1,161
latest reply

All of you guys got my vote 100%. Ebay is charging way to much! 10% plus, paypal 4% plus shipping and our gas and time. No freaken profit at the end for us. I'm so tired of Ebay hustling us. If they don't drop there fees down im done. I don't make any fraken profit anymore. I'm basically just wasting my time shipping out a item that the customer has purchased from me to him for free. Cause Ebay charges to much with these **bleep** fees that are so high. If you guys don't do anyrhing about this, i guarantee you that you guys are going to lose us all and that means no more $$$ for you guys either. Lower these **bleep** fees!
Message 392 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow, I'm in the same boat as everyone else.  Haven't sold anything for a while until last month and was shocked when the invoice came.  10% ?!! I had to keep double checking my math to make sure I was seeing that right.  That was my last sale on Ebay, and probably last purchase since other sellers have to mark up their items soo much to cover the fees, theres no deals anymore.  

I will say those that are willing to stick with ebay, should look into other purchase options like dwolla, they only charge a quarter per transaction regardless of amount, not a percentage.

Message 393 of 1,161
latest reply

Same boat as all of you!

I have been with Ebay since 1998 and have a perfect selling and buying history of 760 items. It has been a few of years since I used Ebay and I was shocked to find what my final fees were at 10%+

THEN, PayPal takes their 3% off the payment

On a recent $400 sale Ebay took $44.35, PayPal took $12.00, I paid ($9.65 shipping so I had a net of $334.00

Somebody would make a ton of money to do a clone of Ebay and run it the way it was years ago. What REALLY ticks me off is when you go to post your listing, it tells you the estimated fees will be like $4.00. They should tell you IF it sells, it will be WAY more and give you the number.

I will not be selling anything of real value again on Ebay. 15% sales fee is criminal!

Message 394 of 1,161
latest reply

I haven’t regularly used Ebay in a few years, so the new final value fee was definitely an unpleasant sight when I got my recent invoice. After shipping and any other fees, I think I netted maybe 75% of my sale prices.

Admittedly my past experiences with Ebay have always been good. Customer service is always pleasant. I hold a lot of confidence in the buyer protections that comes with Paypal. The Ebay website itself is built well and gives me a lot of options. I understand all of these have some value; I understand Ebay is here to make a profit. What actually irked me was the fact that the fee was quietly pushed through. My final selling fee was only presented as being a few dollars, but the final value fee was never projected. It was the bigger beast to feed, and being as such, it should have been presented much more clearly than a few dollars to insert the item.

In all fairness, 10% still isn’t THAT bad. You can sell locally through something like Craigslist, but from my experience, you don’t really get that much more for your items in the long run. There’s also no buyer protections or good resolutions for conflicts. Some buyers can be a pain. Some never show up for the sale. Anything for a niche market is difficult to sell though sites that aren’t Ebay. Does this mean I’m totally cool with the new fees? Not really, but I can kind of understand why they’re there, and more importantly, why Ebay knows it can put them there. Ebay rules the online auction market and it knows it.

I don't anticipate totally giving up on Ebay, but I'll certainly be reseraching other options the next time I decide to sell online.

Message 395 of 1,161
latest reply

It's totally ridiculous and blindsiding. What a waste of my time. I'm sick of greedy gluttons making MORE money off me when I am just trying to survive. I'M NOT A BUSINESS!

Message 396 of 1,161
latest reply

Yeah, definitely turned off.

I have not come to sell for awhile and now I gathered a few new items worth a total thousand $ or so that I want to sell. And then I find this fee has become 10% that would eat a big chuck of sale price. Adding the paypal fee as well as the shipping cost, there is no way I can sell things here. I will have to find another venue to sell or just keep the stuff for myself. Done selling with ebay.

Message 397 of 1,161
latest reply

Naturally this is capped at $750.  Only that?  It's like the people who run eBay think their site should only be for the kind of rich s.o.b.s they're currently spending time with.

And if the peasants complain, let them find somewhere else!  (cue supervillain laughter)

Message 398 of 1,161
latest reply

Yeah, it has really forced me to reconsider my selling tactics. It's absurd that I have to pay sometimes as much as 11% with shipping before PayPal even takes their cut. eBay will lose a lot of business if they don't change their tactics.

Message 399 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow, i haven't been on Ebay in years and I came back and listed a few things that sold and wow, the fees are now insane.  I will never be coming back to ebay to sell anything.  Everything is going on craigslist now.

Message 400 of 1,161
latest reply

I'd like to chime in here on my recent selling experience after not selling for several years. I sold some items recently and was charged the 10% on everything, including shipping, tax as well. On top of the huge fees, there was an illegitimate Final Value Fee for an item that was cancelled because of your typical eBay scammer (0 transactions in history) who jumped up the bid by hundreds of dollars towards the end of the auction to, perhaps, get another account out of hot water for bidding higher than they wanted to and regretting it. Either way, the new "buyer account" refused to pay telling me that it was a mistake, so I had the transaction cancelled, and resold with the "Second Chance Offer".

The icing on the cake here is that I specifically called eBay to let them know about this fraudulent activity and my desire to cancel that transaction; as I had already resold the item using the "Second Chance Offer". They told me that they had a "case open" and that they could not manually cancel it and would have to wait 7 days until the item is officially cancelled. Fine, I'll just pay the fees later, or so I thought. The next day I find that I received a "Action Required -- Credit/Debit Card Payment Declined" message on my eBay account telling me that they couldn't automatically charge the credit card on my account for the Final Value Fees that were due; including the illegitimate cancelled fee. I am glad that I haven't updated or sold anything on my account recently and that the card was expired, because I am NOT interested in having the eBay corporation hold on to my money on some chance that they may "credit" it back to me at some point. And all of this comes on top of the new 10% Final Value Fee on top of the base listing fees?

NO THANKS, eBay!!!!!! What a shameful attempt to take my money without my permission. You WILL take the fraudulent Final Value Fee off of my invoice before you receive a single dime from me. What's double shameful about eBay doing this is that I was attempting to pay them ASAP and I went out of my way to call them to get this fixed. And they respond by doing this.... Unacceptable.

Message 401 of 1,161
latest reply

the fees are absurd. I understand needing to raise them but there are other options. ill be using those. 

Message 402 of 1,161
latest reply

It is not only the 10% + 3% for paypal., But paypal aslo charges 6.7% cross border fees for Canadians, All fees for Ebay and paypal then total 19.7 %  .....but then it gets worse...to top it off....on  that 19.7 % they charge a 28 % exchange rate on top of the fees !!!  So much for the small time seller trying to make a buck...I can no longer compete with China and the big box department stores....Its such a shame that some big shot sitting on his ass in Switzerland representing Ebay has to be so greedy...Goodbye Ebay ....you have officiially ruined it for the small time sellers...

Message 403 of 1,161
latest reply

this is the last round of business I will ever do with ebay...10%?...F-O

Message 404 of 1,161
latest reply

When the heck did these final value fees start? I've been selling stuff on eBay for years and never had one?

The total was upwards of 10% are you kidding me? I barely made money on the transaction after all that!

I'm taking my business to amazon, forget this!

Message 405 of 1,161
latest reply