cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

I have not sold in a while, and when I have the items are at the very most $200.  I just finished sellilng a camera for my father.  Ho Lee **bleep**.  I guess I just never paid that much attention, which is my fault 100%.

First off, the way I placed the auction anyway (is there anohter way?), eBay dictated the max amount I could charge for shipping.  The item sold for $780.  I KNEW shipping (UPS Ground) would cost more than the $14 eBay would let me charge AND I would want to insure the item for more than the inculded UPS insurance of $100.

So, eBay took $79.00 (selling price + shipping), the shipping cost me $34.00, and of course PayPal got their cut.  So, even without the PayPal fees, eBay got more then $90.00 from me.  Reall?  $90 from me for this?  Really?

My friend, a more active eBay seller tells me, "well, its the only game in town, you don't want some wack jobs from Craigs List coming to buy your stuff, do you?"

eBay must be GETTING RICH!

I'm not sure what I'll do in the future, but I can't see someone getting that big of a "cut".  Honnestly, how about 2 or 3%?

(oh come on eBay, I see my post was edited, I guess you can't say "what a dog does on your lawn" on eBay?)

Message 316 of 1,161
latest reply

The fees have become confiscatory and intolerable. I'm forced to seek out alternatives and other venues.

If final value fees were lower, the economies of scale would increase ebay revenue. But maybe because they've already saturated the market, higher final value fees are the only thing left to goose revenues according to analyst expectations.

Ebay is only really beneficial for those who have something to sell who don't care about profit margins. Otherwise, if one doesn't make 30% to 40% net on an item, ebay and PayPal gobble up all of the profit in fees.

For example, I sell a $30 item with a $9 net profit and free First Class shipping. After ebay, PayPal, and free shipping expenses, the profit is $2.56. That 10% final value and PayPal fee is eating up 50% of my profit!

After being here for over 16 years, I'm nearly fed up.

Message 317 of 1,161
latest reply

I absoutly agree

I just started sellinig  about 5 little intems in November  and I  got hit with a rediulously high value fee today..

So, I deleted thie  remainding  items that  I  had on sale and I wii never sell on e-bay again!.

Hello CL.

You can get better returns on your items   at you local pawn shop!.

Message 318 of 1,161
latest reply

Seriously!!! WTH, eBay??

Had new boots starting at $170, they ended up selling for $225 - COOL, I thought, till I realized how awful eBay has become! Cost me more than $22 to ship the item (eBay wouldn't let me calculate the correct amount). PLUS PayPal fees. PLUS eBay gets a wopping extra $23.75. PLUS who knows when I'll get the little money I have left in my account (which I can only assume will have some other fee taken off of it that I have missed).

HAAA - goodbye eBay. Amazon Prime member for life and now a bigger fan of craigslist!

Message 319 of 1,161
latest reply

Welcome to the former Ebay sellers club. EBAY = GREED = HELLO CRAIGSLIST!!!!

Message 320 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree, Craigslist is sounding like a better option for a faster, higher profit sale.  eBay's taking too much.

Message 321 of 1,161
latest reply

I just sold a tube amp for $3650, and I had to pay $775 to Ebay and PooPal.   So greedy, I am now selling items through alternate channels.  They are losing customers.  I've been an Ebay customer since 1999 and I am done with them.

What I do now is use Ebay simply for advertisement.  I list the item with a price much higher than what I want.  Then, in the text I mention a website that the customer can go to in order to get it for less.

Message 322 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm closing an online business and thought I could resort to eBay to dump inventory. NOT! My monthly web hosting does not cost as much as a few measly sales through eBay. I ended up making nothing through eBay. Zilch. Nada. They are going to implode.
Message 323 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay's getting so greedy. I just got my Dec invoice and cringed! It's too expensive to sell any longer.  I've had problems with buyers paying, damaging my items and getting their return shipping paid for, by me as long as they claim "item not as described".  Buyers back out of paying, shipping often UNDERCALCULATED, and now these FEES.  OK Bob Swan, don't you make enough already?  Greedy.

Message 324 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay are making Craiglist look so good. I am so done with Ebay, take 10% from every transaction and still hold your money for as long as they can.Then comes  Paypal to rip you off .  Avaricious  is the best way to describe them.   

Message 325 of 1,161
latest reply

I use to love selling on ebay. Every time I would get tired of something I could sell it on ebay and make money. Well not anymore. After not selling anything for awhile I decided to sell my iPad. It sold for $230. I had to pay $10.45 shipping, $23.50 eBay seller fees, and $7.67 paypal fees. The fees are ridiculous now. Paypal use to only take like less than a dollar and ebay only took a couple dollars. Few years ago I sold an iPod Touch for $145 and ended up with $130 after shipping and fees. If i were to sell it today it cost $8 shipping $13 fee and probably $5 paypal. It's criminal nothing is worth selling anymore.
Message 326 of 1,161
latest reply

It is Highway Robbery!!!! I will never sell anything on eBay ever again. Hello Craigslist for free! They are putting themselves out of business.... Corporate Greed!
Message 327 of 1,161
latest reply

You can see Craigslist anywhere in the US stupid. Before you comment know your facts. Ebays fees are way too high. Craigslist is free. You keep paying making them filthy rich.
Message 328 of 1,161
latest reply

Looks like really close copy of Ebay and thats going to be a problem for its owner. Ebay will not stand for a rip off of there site and i believe  "Buy it now" is trade marked. You will be getting a cease and desist letter if your lucky or you will just find yourself in court with this greedy giant. 

Message 329 of 1,161
latest reply

Some goof was advertising  a new site modeled after ebay, he put a link up for it in the last posting, but it looks like ebay pulled it off. Just shows how the giant protects itself from any compition, I'm  sure they'll  be going after his ebay copy website next.

Message 330 of 1,161
latest reply