cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

eBay is such a joke. They TRICK you into listing an item, thinking it is for free.  Even if it were a small fee $5 an item or something reasonable I would use eBay again.  But 10% of every sale is insane. They should ABSOLUTELY be making the seller aware of this fee and instead they hide it trying to scam us... its the cruel and ridiculous world we live in. Everyone is GREEDY!

Message 256 of 1,161
latest reply

The main issue is Not having the selling fees upfront when selling the item. The market will set the price and some will see it as high or low. Ebay should let you know when listing what the fees will be in a clear way so there are no suprises.

Message 257 of 1,161
latest reply

They tell you it's 10%. Are you telling us you can't do the arithmetic?
Message 258 of 1,161
latest reply

I saw nothing on the initial posting about a 10% fee....if it was there, it was certainly not front and center but more buried in the details.  Even now, I get notices from them that are screaming at you what a great deal you get with their FREE LISTINGS!  You are parsing words by saying "free listing" when every listing will involve a COST (on the backend).  It reminds me of the time I was able to get a free prize and all I had to do was drive 75 miles to Springfield and sit through a presentation and then later being told I was only eligible if I bought their **bleep** water system.  You just feel hoodwinked!

Message 259 of 1,161
latest reply

@jdigslanmods wrote:

I saw nothing on the initial posting about a 10% fee....if it was there, it was certainly not front and center but more buried in the details.  Even now, I get notices from them that are screaming at you what a great deal you get with their FREE LISTINGS!  You are parsing words by saying "free listing" when every listing will involve a COST (on the backend).  It reminds me of the time I was able to get a free prize and all I had to do was drive 75 miles to Springfield and sit through a presentation and then later being told I was only eligible if I bought their **bleep** water system.  You just feel hoodwinked!

eBay has a detailed explanation of listing and final value fees in the customer support section, along with a lot of other things that EVEYONE who plans to sell on eBay should have read. There's no excuse for jumping in without knowing how much it will cost. That's just irresponsible.

Message 260 of 1,161
latest reply

You could put ten people in a room and show them one of these emails that Ebay puts out or the page you go to sell and I bet you the MAJORITY of people wouldn't notice and if asked later would say that Ebay listings are FREE (which technically they are, because the cost comes from something called a FINAL VALUE fee).  I suppose you think people ACTUALLY read those long Terms of Service when you are installing Software too.  My intention is to say that EBAY is not being as UPFRONT about the fees and are thus misrepresenting the notion that your listing will be FREE, FREE, FREE.  They parse the words FREE LISTING with small print or buried in the details does not include final value fee.   I know now that I can't trust that when Ebay says is FREE is actually FREE but instead contains caveats and I am sure if I continued to use Ebay for selling stuff it would be an acceptable tradeoff that I would try to justify and then perhaps would come to the point where I would even rationalize or apologize for this little trap.  That is not what I will do.  I now understand why it has gotten harder to find deals on items that I am looking for, why the prices are often not the best deal and reflect the same or more than what I would pay through other online retailers (before this, I had no clue why I saw this so much).  Ebay could go through my extensive history and see a buying trend that was quite heavy in the past and in the last 5 or so years has trended downward to the point where it may only be 3 to 5 purchases a year in the last few.  I can assure you that if I decide to keep my Ebay account, I will always second guess whether I want to use the service and I do not see myself selling anything through them again. 

Message 261 of 1,161
latest reply

Who is the shill 'pro-fee' poster?

I'm done with selling on eBay. A little shady for my tastes. (they charge fees for shipping now). I thought I sold my item for $775, but after all the fees I came away with $651 - how is that 10%?

I'm all for reading and personal responsibility, but I'm also for declaring when enough is enough. Fine print or not, I've had it. Thanks for 15 years eBay.

Message 262 of 1,161
latest reply

The fees are getting a little much.  I soldjust sold two items. eBay takes 9% then paypal takes 10%. The average credit card processing cost for a retail business where cards are swiped is roughly 1.95% - 2%. The average cost for card-not-present businesses, such as online shops, is roughly 2.30% - 2.50%. But I am forced to use PayPal which is owned by eBay. Not only that I have to offer free shipping or else they take a percentage of that as well. Sounds a little mobbish to me. We will let you use our selling channels for a small percentage of the final fee but you have to use our payment processor and offer free shipping to all our clientele. 

Message 263 of 1,161
latest reply

Seriously, I'm POed tonight after seeing the fees!  I sold an item for $49, and there was a total of $9+ in charges for Ebay/Paypal!  I've been selling for years with above standard service and 100% Feedback, I feel kinda ripped off tonight, going to have to think about selling here again.

Message 264 of 1,161
latest reply

Yea i know what u mean i saw free listing and thought ok not bad (i didnt pay attention to the final value fee) and i sold a item for 160$ and didnt think nothing of it then next thing i know i owe 21$ in final seller fee

Message 265 of 1,161
latest reply

Totally shocked by the fee charged by ebay to sell. I am closing my account and won't be buying or selling on ebay again. Goodbye EBAY I used to enjoy our association.

Message 266 of 1,161
latest reply

The final value fees section does not even say what percentage of amount will be charged. They do everything they can to make you think it's a small amount - that's until you see a charge on your credit card for over 10% of what you sold - and if it's something sizable that's a huge chunk of money that you were never informed the exact amount of that you are losing. It's a scam!! It is obvious just by the way they are not upfront with the percentage they take.
Message 267 of 1,161
latest reply

After many years selling on ebay, I'm considering beginning to list on Craigs list locally instead, especially on higher priced itams.

Message 268 of 1,161
latest reply

WOW!!! After not listing anything on Ebay for almost a year, I made the choice to come back and give it a try. Amazingly the fees are even higher than when I left. 10% OF THE SHIPPING?!? Thats just insane!!! Its bad enough that the shipping estimator seems low, but now we have to increase out prices 12-15% just to get our actual asking price. Being charged on the front end ad the back end seems really greedy to me.

Message 269 of 1,161
latest reply

@jdigslanmods wrote:

You could put ten people in a room and show them one of these emails that Ebay puts out or the page you go to sell and I bet you the MAJORITY of people wouldn't notice and if asked later would say that Ebay listings are FREE (which technically they are, because the cost comes from something called a FINAL VALUE fee).  I suppose you think people ACTUALLY read those long Terms of Service when you are installing Software too.  My intention is to say that EBAY is not being as UPFRONT about the fees and are thus misrepresenting the notion that your listing will be FREE, FREE, FREE.  They parse the words FREE LISTING with small print or buried in the details does not include final value fee.   I know now that I can't trust that when Ebay says is FREE is actually FREE but instead contains caveats and I am sure if I continued to use Ebay for selling stuff it would be an acceptable tradeoff that I would try to justify and then perhaps would come to the point where I would even rationalize or apologize for this little trap.  That is not what I will do.  I now understand why it has gotten harder to find deals on items that I am looking for, why the prices are often not the best deal and reflect the same or more than what I would pay through other online retailers (before this, I had no clue why I saw this so much).  Ebay could go through my extensive history and see a buying trend that was quite heavy in the past and in the last 5 or so years has trended downward to the point where it may only be 3 to 5 purchases a year in the last few.  I can assure you that if I decide to keep my Ebay account, I will always second guess whether I want to use the service and I do not see myself selling anything through them again. 

I agree, I haven't sold in about 3 years and athe othe day I listed and sold an item and was not ware that there was a final selling fee!!   There were never fees like this in the past and I was not aware of them untill after my item sold.  Now instead of making money I didn't even break even!

Message 270 of 1,161
latest reply