cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay favors Buyers Not Sellers

dawood
Enthusiast

I have been with eBay from the very beginning and they have gradually started favoring the buyer and not the seller. If you get a horrible buyer there is no way to leave a negative feedback. If the buyer says something is wrong with the item (whether there is or not) eBay favors them and you are forced to refund their money. If ebay continues on this road I believe they will lose more sellers. Also I can not find anyway to CALL eBay and talk to a real person, Is there???

Message 1 of 139
latest reply
138 REPLIES 138

Re: Ebay favors Buyers Not Sellers

So to let everyone know, you are absolutely correct in the idea that ebay caters to buyers not sellers. i was just on the phone with brent p. i asked why does ebay give the option to not accept returns if they are going to let buyers return items even if they are not damaged anyway. His response and I quote" to give the buyers the option to return items for any reason whatsoever" I then asked specifically "so ebay caters to buyers and not sellers?" his response "that is absolutely correct". ebay has no interest in sellers other than to collect fees. they are always on the buyers' side. i have issued refunds to buyers if they show the item is damaged during shipping or it doe snot work when they receive it even though i check the little box that says returns not accepted and also list in each listing refunds and returns are not accepted and purchase is made under this agreement. Just the fact that brent p. admitted that buyers are permitted to return items for any reason even though sellers are given the option to not accept returns is an admission of breach of contract by ebay with each seller.

Message 91 of 139
latest reply

If Ebay is knowingly disregarding there own policys to biasly favor the buyers and breaking the contract they have with sellers in doing so, isnt that grounds for a class action law-suit??  Lets see ebay be butt-buddies with the buyers after the seller community bleeds them dry in court

Message 92 of 139
latest reply

As a buyer I have found the opposite to be true. Most sellers are great but when an ebay store is dishonest ebay really doesn't care. Just send it back is their response. Like any large business, it's all about the money. They don't care about who's honest.
Message 93 of 139
latest reply

EBAY IS HORRIBLE! Buyer said the purse they bought from me wasn't as descrubed and dirty but the pictures they sent me were the exact same as the ones in my listing. I ask ebay to investigate and they find in favor of the buyer..**bleep**! Ebay is USELESS!

Message 94 of 139
latest reply

I have to agree! I have been a buyer, never had any clue until now being a seller that this has become more evident that there is something big going on with the buying community. I have sold a 100% "Like New" Hp laptop and it was stored in the original box, had USPS wrap it and box it up with me to ensure packed correctly and what happens? Of course a week later I get a message that the buyer wants to return it because she just got around to opening it up and it was "Flickering". I am accused of packing it wrong etc etc. Well then 2 other items, both were new unopened were conveniently "defective". I have posted No Returns, but to my dismay, eBay tells me that there is nothing I can do but accept all 3 returns as there could have been anything in shipping the items to cause defects. I refused to pay shipping to have them returned, but due to the eBay $ back guaranty, they have also stated that they may allow the buyer to keep the merchandise and still get there refund because get this, ANYTHING that is "NOT AS DESCRIBED", has a chance to be refunded without being returned. Screw that. Get more Americans to work for eBay, maybe they would actually understand and care whats happening, instead of reading from a script, and please include me in any class action lawsuit that maybe in the works. I know for **bleep** sure that the reason eBay and PayPal are conveniently telling you they are separating is a complete lie as well. I spoke with a young woman last week who told me that they weren't supposed to talk about it but there was a lawsuit already in an unspecified state, which prompted them to state that they are separating, when in fact they ARE NOT SEPARATING. She said that they were still working very closely with one another, that its for legal purposes that they have to make that discalimer. 

Well there you have it. They cannot be trusted to handle any affairs, not even their own to the ones who have suported their way of life up until now. US.

Message 95 of 139
latest reply

U would think that after multiple first class lawsuits that ebay would learn a thing or two and have some integrity. Instead they make up this new "report to buyers" bs to make u believe that they are protecting the sellers. Well, anything that is not as described even if the buyer could have intentionally damage it just to get a full refund maybe just cuz they don't want the item anymore or falsely accuse you of selling something used when I barely even touched the necklace I sold her, I am forced to settle. Well I just have to write to the guardian, ny times or any publications to voice out all the injustice.
Message 96 of 139
latest reply

I agree.wanna sue them toghether? I have multiple users id's that have seen this issue several times.
Message 97 of 139
latest reply

I agree.Ive been with fleabay since the begining..it's a place for shoplifters to shoplift and get away with it due to ebay policy's that favor the deviant buyer..not the other way around..
Message 98 of 139
latest reply

Agreed... Just got a judgement for the buyer, On a bogus claim, even though I can prove the item is authentic. Ebay did not even try to contact me before just siding with the buyer... I am not selling through ebay anymore. Personal or business...
Message 99 of 139
latest reply

You should try to sell something on eBay then you will change your mind. Don't say anything if you never be seller once on eBay. I have been eBay seller for 7 years. I got many cases dishonest buyers, abuse buyers, theft  try to steal from me and eBay never protect sellers, who they get paid from (both eBay and Paypal charge nearly 15%  commission fee) I am open my own website now and say goodbye to eBay forever

Message 100 of 139
latest reply

I have become a victim of this yesterday. Sold a package size item two months ago and said it will take two months to arrive in the description. The buyer opened a case while not even 2 months have passed and try to get a refund. I have shipped the item with carrier and tracking no provided which i thought it has more than enough information to prove that i have shipped the item. I have told the buyer to allow like 1 or 2 weeks more because sometimes there maybe delay. After the time given(like 7 days), the buyer told ebay to step in and he just get the refund! I am totally surprised because I just can't believe it that they would just make the final decision so easily without much prove.

As you know, some time the item status just don't update even the item is delivered. Actually, it is possible that it will never get updated at least for quite a lot of my items which includes buy and sell even they are delivered.

Secondly, i am having 100% feedback(over 100 trades. not much but i think it proves i am honest) while the buyer has zero feedback. I am not trying to discriminate him as a new buyer. But i hope ebay can at least provide more trust to me and give me more time to investigate on the matter! Also, in the message that i sent to the buyer in the case, i have said to him i am willing to provide a full refund when the item is confirmed to be lost but ebay just didn't even consider this and totally ignored it.

According to the fact about my case, everytime when the item status isn't shown delivered. The buyer can actually open a case for refund. And within the time(in my case just around 7 days), if the seller can't update the item status to 'delivered'. The buyer MUST get a refund which i think it is totally crazy. In my local post office, it would take at least a few weeks or even a month for them to invesigate and get update on the item. How can ebay just make the judgement with so little time given to the seller to prove the item maybe delivered? It is just nonsense!

I am also seeking and advice and opinion on this too! Thanks.

Message 101 of 139
latest reply

I have now had several items returned that were not the item i sold—buyers switched on me with full refund, and ebay is protecting them.    It is happening more and more often, so appears buyers have found a way to get what they want for free.  Even if I dispute, you will take the funds from my paypal account or place a hold on my ebay activity.  If its not extortion, its pretty close.

So ebay, you keep your bait and switch buyers.  You dont deserve sellers who have been your customer for over 15 years, with integrity, quality inventory, and 3500+ 100% positive feedback.

Message 102 of 139
latest reply

After 14 years buying and selling, here is what I just learned: (1) If a seller has a misunderstanding or disagreement with a buyer, the buyer can leave abusive and retaliatory feedback, and eBay will not investigate or do anything unless the buyer uses profanity or names the seller personally. Knowing this, yes, a buyer can in effect engage in a kind of extortion to get their way, a variation on Ashley_1120's theme. (2) The seller may state as a condition to bidding that payment must be received before shipping an item. However, PayPal may without any advance notice, for unspecified reasons, decide to not make a payment available for a period of time after shipping and delivery. The seller has not received the funds until they are available. If the buyer claims, whether truly or falsely, that they have a problem with the item or shipping, or whatever, PayPal may without any investigation block access to these funds and return funds to the buyer, and the seller will have no recourse. The seller's shipping condition is rendered meaningless by PayPal, which instead exposes the seller to unlimited and unmanageable payment risk. Yes, Ashley_1120 is correct that a buyer can return any worthless thing to get a tracking number to satisfy eBay and PayPal that an item was returned. The benefit of doubt will be given to the buyer. (3) The seller may state as a condition that no returns will be accepted. However, PayPal's unilateral control over availability of funds and preferential treatment of buyers also makes this condition meaningless. In this way, PayPal without any prior notice overrides the seller's conditions of sale -the commercial terms agreed between seller and buyer as a condition of bidding- and favors the buyer. (4) If you don't catch that eBay auto-checked their "Global Shipping Program" and your winning bidder is outside of the U. S., then you are vulnerable to eBay's shipping errors. If the buyer is not happy with the cost, or eBay's shipping agent makes mistakes, then the seller is exposed to negative feedback, reputation damage, and loss of funds for the item in question, since PayPal will not make funds available until the buyer has had an opportunity to dispute the transaction. Again, the seller has no meaningful recourse. (5) As long as there is no payment option other than PayPal, they have a monopoly, which they can exploit to suit their own corporate interests -and the corporate interests of eBay. Clearly both companies see these interests aligned more with the interests of buyers. PayPal will be quick to tell you they are now an independent legal entity, but this is meaningless until and unless there is real competition for their services. (6) The seller's good practices and history are rendered worthless when it comes to a dispute with a buyer, who gets every benefit of doubt. 

Message 103 of 139
latest reply

This has now happened to me several times also, especially with electronics. Just had another case go in the favor of the buyer. Buyer purchases an electronic,. Before shipping, I capture and keep track of the serial number of the unit. The buyer then claims the item is defective, returns a unit with a different serial number and Ebay favors them every time. In many cases the buyer is purchasing the item to replace a broken screen on a tablet etc, so they order a new screen from me, replace their borken screen, and then ship me back the broken screen. It's totally unfair and it doesn't matter what proof I send to Ebay, the buyer always wins. After close to 10 years of selling on Ebay I'm considering calling it quits because of these scams.

Message 104 of 139
latest reply

Message 105 of 139
latest reply