cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Held Funds & PayPal Balance Problems

Just wondering if any other sellers are having problems getting eBay held funds released and/or are having problems with their PayPal balance due to those held funds. I sure am.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

all it takes is 2 buyers to take you down ,so unfair !

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Legal Assistance - Filing reports here might help your case, but don't expect a fast resolution.File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). (The FTC has said they will investigate "if they receive enough complaints." Let's help them out! 🙂 ) Also, seecredit card disputes and the Consumer's Complaint Center at the FTC. 

File a complaint with the California AG's office. 

File a complaint with the Nebraska AG's office. 

Per PayPal's ToS, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, California 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210. 

People living in the UK who are angry that paypal got FSA backing can complain to the BBCs consumer watchdog program, or can read the information on complaining to the FSA or the FSO. 

People living north of the border (aka Canada) can make a report to RECOL, Reporting Economic Crime Online.

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?lang=en

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

I have the same exact problem with 13 years and high marks every where and some crazy lady gives me the negative that changes everything overnight.  God,  if only there could be another venue.  We work and work for 13 years and this is the reward?

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

4011jenkins
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link for the FTC complaint dept.  I just got through filing a complaint with the FTC against paypal and there illegal 21 day witholding from ebay sellers.   This past friday night on the 20th I also filed a complaint with the washington state Dept. Of Finacial Institutions against Paypal also.  Now we'll see if these complaints that I filed will get anywhere against Paypal.  Paypal has no right to withold our funds they is from our sales form us sellers.  They are not a bank!  They are a Money Transmitter/Transfer company!  There job is to transfer funds from one party to another party. They have no right to withold funds from the due party!  Without sellers there would be no buyers!  Ebay and Paypal better learn the rule!

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

appleleafcottage
Enthusiast

This just doesn't make any sense...I have 100% fb and  been selling since 08,  all of a sudden on a small 6.99 item I suddenly have a hold on the funds?????  I have sold items that sold for more within the last month one that was over a hundred with no issue!  No email before receiving this 6.99 payment telling me why ...just bam ...the door shut and you can't have your money.

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

fingers crossed!?:|

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

Nope. Never had a problem with that.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

beatlebaily10
Enthusiast

well, there are over 60 pages of complaints about pay pal and ebay holding funds, and until the sellers drop off and get a gut ful of it and do something about it collectivly, individualy ( if they can afford it )  or a combination of both, it isn't going to get any better. they lie, to you about the reason for held funds, and change their policy constantly. No need to take my word for it. You are looking at 60 pages of whineing on ebays own website, try googeling "ebay or pay  pal held funds and see the never ending story. anyone that would continue to sell this way has to have sawdust or worse for brains, me included.

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

it is GREED on the part of ebay.  it makes me so angry. im not selling on ebay right now and though i didn't depend on ebay it was nice to have a little extra money, it made my life better, now due to this change ebay just makes me angry, to know they can do this without thought to the small seller.  they stress buyer rights but if they ignore the seller there wont be sellers or buyers.........grrrrrrr :0(

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

catch22_2003
Enthusiast

Anyone knows of where we can start officially complaining about this?  I mean talking about it here is great and all but if we all start filling official complaints, it would go a lot farther, no?

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

Well, I didn't close my account but I quit selling on eBay -- at least temporarily -- on Jan 31. Maybe they'll figure it out at the end of the month when they see they made no money from my account in February.

There is an old saying, "Don't kill the golden goose...".

Between eBay's higher fees, a feedback system that lacks transparency and is downright hostile to sellers, higher shipping costs, postal manhandling of packages, a growing number of feedback extortionists and deadbeats plus eBay's holding funds policy it was pretty easy to decide to take a break.

With the price of gold where it is I'll probably make more money processing my own dirt than I would selling it anyway -- and I won't have the hassles.

Good luck sellers!

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Wow. Michael Jones is pretty slick. He just came out with an announcement that said, in part:

"We’ve also heard some speculation that eBay and PayPal are requiring sellers to hold money in their accounts so that we can earn interest on the funds. This couldn’t be farther from the truth."

THIS IS A LIE. Then he goes on to say:

"PayPal has always stored balances (including held balances) in FDIC-insured bank accounts, which earn a modest interest rate."

Wait a minute Michael, you just contradicted yourself. YOU JUST ADMITTED THAT YOU WERE making interest on held funds.

"To eliminate any confusion with our customers over the intent of our policy, we have decided to move the equivalent amount of money of our total “held balances” to a non-interest bearing account. We hope that this clarifies the intent of our policies, which we believe have always been transparent: to ensure a trusted experience that buyers expect and to encourage increased sales for our merchants and sellers."

No Michael. It is you that is confused. The sellers are not requiring that their funds are held, YOU are, and many sellers need the cash flow to stay in business.

The big question is, why would you hold the funds of sellers who have sold THOUSANDS of items and never had a chargeback or lost a case?

You have VIOLATED the the trust of MANY sellers Michael. Shame on you.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

lovers6971
Enthusiast

i feel you it happened to me also I do not understand what is the point on doing our return policies when ebay do whatever.  :-(.  but also sometimes bidders or buyer do not read the item description of the item, that result on loosing the sale, money, time and effort.  they should come with some type of policy to force buyers to read the item description, and make them accept the policies of the sellers. I think that is fair what I stated to do now is to email the buyer stating if they have read the item description and telling them again of the item they will be getting before even send it.  Trust me by doing that I save money and headaches for me and of course the buyer as well. 

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

vintagelady2012
Enthusiast

Yes, I have experienced similar problems, and after 14 years on Ebay with several seller accounts, I am leaving for good. So are ALL of my friends and relatives who have been on ebay for years and years. The second week in February, I had above average in sales, with one sale particularly good. I was delighted. The largest sale was to a regular customer of mine on ebay. Paypal held ALL of my funds from that day forward for 21 days. The reason? Because I had a larger than average week. WHAT???????  I do well, and they punish me?  The funds were meant for paying my ebay fees and my car payment and my rent, but Ebay took the fees out of my checking around while STILL HOLDING MY FUNDS!!!!!  So double dipping by Ebay caused me extreme stress. They started releasing my funds slowly, and I only received 25% of what I had coming, in addition to them taking money out of my checking.

Message 30 of 44
latest reply