cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadbeat Buyers.. why dont they pay?

I dont understand what's up with all these deadbeat bidders and why they dont pay when they win an auction.  Out of all my years on here, most winners/buyers of my auctions have all paid on time for their item won as stated in my auctions. But in very recent times, I've had problems with people not wanting to pay for what they've won, and not paying on time as what I have in my auctions. You email them and email them, and send multiple invoices, and they STILL dont pay, and never email you back on why they havent paid yet.  Are people that **bleep** stupid anymore and have that kind of smart-ass nerve and pay just whenever they feel like it now and dont care if you contact ebay? And the stupid thing is, is now you cant leave negitive feedback for buyers like you once could do to warn other sellers about them not paying on time or not paying at all.  Ebay seems to be on the side of the buyers now and not the sellers like they used to be.  A lot of buyers have gotten smart-assed and very over confident with themselves over the past couple of years. Come on ebay..let us sellers leave negitive feedback for those that deserve it, and quit siding with the buyers that dont pay.  Does anyone else seem to have the problems with these deadbeat buyers?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

The only valid recourse sellers have currently is to file NPB and I assume you are doing that.  

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Hi. That's the only thing I can do right now. Although I dont think some of these buyers care anymore, and Ebay seems to be more concerned with how the buyers feelings may be hurt if you leave neg. feedback.  Ebay has become more and more rediculous with these buyers. But if a buyer doesnt like the seller for whatever reasons, or if they're vengval, they can leave neg. feedback and there's nothing ebay will do about that.  It isnt fair, but until ebay gets back to how it used to be and should be, what can you do...  Thanks..

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Nope,eBay does not care and never will.I believe they want to do away with small sellers and just have large sellers were 20 to 30 negatives a month means nothing.This is why I have now been selling with "Buy it now" Immediate payment payment required and "free shipping". It is working out for me.At least until I get my money the item is still for sale.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Thanks.. I agree, the only way to get these deadbeat non paying buyers to pay, is to have all auctions with the buy it now. That way, they have to pay for it then and not a week later. Buyers dont care anymore, and neither does Ebay. Remember when Ebay and PayPal were two seperate companies? Ebay charges too much for seller fees, and at one time didnt charge for selling.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

And another stupid Ebay rule now is that you cant open a non paying bidder dispute until after 2 DAYS.. WHY ??  That makes no sense when your auction states otherwise.  If they cant pay on time or refuse to pay on time, then I block them from bidding on anymore of my auctions. Ebay doesnt care.. the more negitive feedbacks you have, the better they seem to like it.  At one time, if you had too many negitive feedbacks, they would kick you off from selling.. but not now.  They dont want the buyers feelings to be hurt and to possibly hurt the buyers future purchases or sales. How REE-TARD is that !!  It's like the buyers are telling us sellers " I'll pay if and when I feel like it, and when donkeys fly out of my rear end".

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Ebay rules and policies override anything you state in your TOS.

The "stupid" 2 day NPB filing is actually "less stupid" than its preceeding 4 day NPB filing.

In case you haven't heard, DSR's overrule selling negs.
At least they did for over 15,000 (used to be) ebay sellers.
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Just sell with the "Buy it Now" Immediate payment required and you will never have to file a case again.Not sure what you can get for your item list at a maximum 'Buy it now" price and then use the "best offer" option,now here is the trick, if you accept the best offer you still have to wait for them to pay,decline the the offer,email the person that you decline the offer too and tell them you changed the item price to the"Buy it Now" price they offered. Change your ad with no "Best Offer" to that price, and always use the  "immediate payment required option". With this method you will always get you money and if the buyer does not buy the item at that price it is still for sale to anyone who does buys it. As far as DRS's go that is why I have  the free shipping.With the free shipping they can not rate you on shipping charges,you always get 5 star's.After I have been selling on here for a while and filing enough non payment cases you will find it is just a waste of time running anything as a auction.When they changed it from 4 day's to 2 day's you be surprise how many people bid on my auctions and when the 48 hours were up they had a case open against them they didn't know what to do because they were use too having 8 day's to pay.Yes 8 day's,4 day's before the case could be opened and 4 day's more before you could close the case, and all the time eBay had your fees all ready taken out from and you are now your own collection agency.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Ebay wont let you open a case against a buyer until 48 hrs are up, and they suggest you try and contact the buyer. But if the buyer refuses to email you back or refuses to pay, then there's nothing you can do, and then there's still the chance they wont pay anyhow. So I agree.. everything of mine from now on will be BUY IT NOW and Immediate Pay.  Seems that 95% of the buyers on here dont care what happens anymore.  Thanks Ebay, for changing the way it used to be. As the saying goes " If it aint broke..don't fix it"..

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

They are probably people who know they do not have the means to buy the items they bid on but find it fun and entertaining to try and win auctions or purchase bin items knowing they do not have to pay for them. 

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

The thing is, is that most people think they can pay whenever they feel like it. That Ebay will stand behind them 100% regardless of what the terms of sale are set by the seller.  Too bad ebay has gone over to the "Dark Side" of the Force. They used to be for the seller, but in some rare cases they are. But as time has gone by, the buyer seems to have the upper hand at anything they want..even not having the money to pay for the item won.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

and as far as what I charge or dont charge for shipping is based on how much I'm selling an item for.  If I'm asking a higher price, then shipping is low or free. But if I have an item listed at 25.00 or lower, then I'm gonna put shipping on the total price. Why should I have to spend my earned money for shipping? So instead, I charge enough to take care of that alone, and still have what I asked for anyhow.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I did find out how to setup a block for most DEADBEATS: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Block-Certain-Bidders-From-Bidding-on-Your-eBay-Auction-/10000000004889627/g...

From your "My eBay" Seller's page, hold your cursor under "Account". Scroll down until you see "Site Preferences". Click on that link. You will then see a link called "Buyer Requirements". Click on that link. Once on that page, there is a link on top that says "Buyer Requirements Exemption List". Click on the link, and you will be allowed to block certain user names from bidding on your auctions. If you want to block more than one person, use a comma between each user name.

Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

passline
Scout

Simply because eBay does not care if they do not pay. Don't look or think any further than that, it's a waste of energy and time.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Its called fraud its a crime. When someone inhibits or obstructs the legal sale with a fraudulent bid in which they are entering into a contract to buy or purchase an item and
to do so fraudulently is unlawful.

Its an electronic contract.

A person found guity of this shoud be First band from any and all activity on ebay.

Its as if you walk into a store and try to leave without paying.

When you place a bid on an item you are asked repeatedly then confirm. Ebay really needs to improve there policies. Who after all pays there fees anyway.
Message 15 of 33
latest reply