cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadbeat Buyers.. why dont they pay?

I dont understand what's up with all these deadbeat bidders and why they dont pay when they win an auction.  Out of all my years on here, most winners/buyers of my auctions have all paid on time for their item won as stated in my auctions. But in very recent times, I've had problems with people not wanting to pay for what they've won, and not paying on time as what I have in my auctions. You email them and email them, and send multiple invoices, and they STILL dont pay, and never email you back on why they havent paid yet.  Are people that **bleep** stupid anymore and have that kind of smart-ass nerve and pay just whenever they feel like it now and dont care if you contact ebay? And the stupid thing is, is now you cant leave negitive feedback for buyers like you once could do to warn other sellers about them not paying on time or not paying at all.  Ebay seems to be on the side of the buyers now and not the sellers like they used to be.  A lot of buyers have gotten smart-assed and very over confident with themselves over the past couple of years. Come on ebay..let us sellers leave negitive feedback for those that deserve it, and quit siding with the buyers that dont pay.  Does anyone else seem to have the problems with these deadbeat buyers?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Deadbeat Buyers.. why dont they pay?

When someone signs up for ebay they have to give proof of who they are correct?

If someone bids on an item they are in turn entering a contract to purchase an item thus ending the auction correct?

This is a commitment to buy from a person who signed up stating who they are correct?

To place a bid on an item with no intention to pay obstructs other interested buyers from purchasing an item.

Its no game.
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I prefer to use Buy It Know instead of Auction style listings but I guess offering the best offer option was a bad idea. Someone took the time to think up an offer, type it in the little box and send it. Upon my accepting the offer the jerk not only doesnt pay but continues to ignore my invoices and emails! By now I could have sold the item to someone else! I opened an unpaid item case and now just have to wait and relist the item again hoping I dont run into another deadbeat! Now should I be worried that every offer i get might not pay? The question alone is cause for concern!

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

I am so frustrated!! I have listed my iPhone 3 times & 3 times a deadbeat bidder won the auction. Most recently today. As soon as I saw his weird name & the fact that his address was in the same DE town as the last one is proof enough for me. Does blocking really help?? I blocked the first two but another one bid on the phone. I give up!!!
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

What was the buyer's name and town? I am about to have to file an NP dispute (in about 2 hours which I can guaranttee it won't be paid) and the "buyer" has their address in DE. 

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

All,

I believe I know why there are increased deadbeat bidders. I think these are fake accounts setup by well known resellers to frustrate us average everyday sellers to give up on selling their phone competitively, leaving the marker solely for their item to be sold. It's like running your competitors out of business because you are bigger and can hold out longer because well...that's what you do. Anyway, that's my working theory.
Message 20 of 33
latest reply

100% agree
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

It's not a buyer. A buyer pays. There is no differentiation. It doesn't even make any sense. The best thing to do is not sell anything on Ebay anymore. It's not really even an auction site anymore. Doesn't work well enough to call it one. It's more like a someone might buy it if they win an auction thing. I don't even think there is a real word for that. Other than the word Ebay, it is completely undefinable. It's a troll village.
Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Why does eBay charge a sales fee when they are well aware that buyer hasn't paid and if you don't contact eBay they charge you come on eBay you know this is wrong you're well aware the sale didn't happen 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Agree completely ever since eBay banned sellers from leaving negative feedback buyers are taken advantage of

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

your post is now going on 5 years old & it's still a problem because it's now a 20+ year problem.

when ebay began in the mid 90's modems were the norm, people weren't on 24/7 so ebay graced the period for buyers to pay.

thay's turned into a pre school run wild. if you don't discipline he kids, if there are little to no rules you have a classroom that's outta' control. THAT'S EBAY!

No other ecommerce site allows/ENABLES buyers to not live by any rules so it just reinforces bad behavior.

Cases in point. My wife & I each sell using different accounts.

She just had a buyer retract his bid. When you review his buying history he'd done so 216 times!

Why is that allowed? How can a buyer bid, bid up, bid high item after item after...only to retract his bids 200+ times & not be suspended?

Ebay should change their site to BID BUT DON'T BOTHER TO PAY.

Buyers can win an auction, not pay, not respond to your messages, not respond to an unpaid item case, and not be disciplined/suspended for it even when they do so repeatedly.

No discipline & the class runs amuck.

Sure you can open an unpaid item case but it means nothing. First they allow a buyer 4 days to pay. FOUR! It's almost 2018. The 4 day rule is as outdated as the modem once used to sign on.

Buyers should be mandated to pay immediately but given ebay's excessive grace to buyers I would be happy with 48 hours.

Yes, you can open a case in 2 days after the sale but the buyer still has 4 days to decide & most don't. They don't pay because they don't have to & they purposely allow the case to run out rudely keeping your item(s) off the market for no less than 6 days (2 days unpaid + 4 day unpaid case). You item may not sell again or it may sell...for less.

You the seller CANNOT leave negative buyer feedback. A buyer is allowed to walk away from any financial obligation (I just closed a case over an $11.00 sale) and you cannot post "BUYER DOESN'T PAY" to warn other sellers.
However that does not stop me from SLAMMING them in a message which I do to every ebayer who stiffs me. I'm not rude, dont use abuse language but I do tell them like it is. I then block that buyer.

BLOCK'em! ebay suggests you block buyers you do not want to buy from you if you feel they are not

reputable. How do I know a buyer is going to not pay until they do? In a word "DUH!"

Lastly & this is the most absurd, ridiculious, idiotic, stupid rule ebay has...

You the seller have a BIN item.  You mandate payment due immediately. GREAT! You're covered. WRONG! If you also have a Best Offer option and the buyer makes an offer which you accept, that offer negates immediate payment due.

WHY?

They the buyer made you the seller an offer. You agreed to the offer they made to you which should immediately force them to pay but instead it FREEs them of any obligation by canceling the immediate payment due.

MORONS!

ebay shows no sign of changing. I don't know why sellers allow themselves to be abused. I don't take it. I complain. I report buyers. I send them strongly worded messages following an upaid case & I share the names of blocked buyers with others.  If all you do is cry to yourself or to others you're no better than ebay for allowing it to happen & the buyers who take advantage of you & others.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

I see this happen all the time now, auction bidders who have 0 feedback behind their account who don't pay when they win the auction.

My solution would be to be able to block 0 feedback buyers from bidding on my auctions. They are fake accounts, have nothing to lose and seriously, I have no clue what they get out of bidding on an auction, winning and then not pay. But it's a cowardous action and keeps me tied to my item for another week untill the UIC is closed and I can repost again.

I only do BIN listings with immediate payment required. 

But I would urge Ebay to make it possible to block 0 feedback bidders from an auction. It's getting out of hand..

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I whole heartedly agree. HELLO, MY NAME IS ILENE AND I HATE, YES HATE EBAY!!!!!
Message 28 of 33
latest reply

No they don’t, they can do the same thing and not pay.........
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Yes, thank you, I totally agree! I do t get it, thank you!!!!
Message 30 of 33
latest reply