eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Buyer protection plan is terrible for sellers auctioning a BUNDLE or LOT of used items

I was totally unaware of how easily a buyer can file a dispute. If I had been directed to a screen informing me of the buyer protection program before being allowed to list an item, I might have chosen not to auction off a bundle of used Wii items, and I could have avoided a lot of stress. I wish the protection plan had been made clear to me before listing my item.

The shock at seeing my paypal account NEGATIVE $185 because I had already used the money on a bill... it was unexpected and gave me a lot of anxiety. I was totally mistreated by this buyer and forced into providing a partial refund that I don't think was fair AT ALL. The buyer claimed that certain items did not work, which I personally tested before shipping. Yes, a few of the 26 games in the lot were scratched. So what? They were listed as USED. Yet, he said he would take pictures of the scratches and report that the charger included in the bundle did not work. I feel he was lying about that. It worked before it left my house and got shipped! Yet, what were my options? If I refused him a partial refund, the case would be escalated to the Ebay team, who might decide that the buyer deserved a full refund... based on what? Based on his CLAIMS? And then what? He would box my items back up (most likely not taking care to securely package them), send my items back after he had used them, and receive a full refund... and I would take a loss on the shipping costs AND a loss on the time it took to sell this item?

I only provided a partial refund out of fear that this would not turn out in my favor, due to 3 out of the 26 games in the bundle being scratched and his CLAIM that the remote control charger did not work. I sold all of my childrens' Wii games, the console, the balance board, a charger, remotes, nun chucks, 2 steering wheels, and a ton of accessories at a very fair price, and just because the buyer decided to complain, I felt as though I was backed into a corner and forced to provide a partial refund, or risk dealing with a full return. I would never have parted with my childrens' Wii bundle for as cheap as I ended up doing after the refund. I was not aware that buyers could file a complaint with little to no proof of their claims, and I will not be doing any more buying or selling on Ebay. I will be telling my family, friends, and co-workers about this experience and urging them to stay away from Ebay as well. It's a shame. I have used Ebay for over a decade, both on my own account and my husband's account. I even encouraged my father to set up an account and helped him do it, and he buys an average of 5 items a month on here. But not anymore. This experience has totally driven us away. Thanks for nothing, Ebay.

Please use plain text.
zyonite
Community Member

Re: Buyer protection plan is terrible for sellers auctioning a BUNDLE or LOT of used items

in reply to lindseybeth1231

Instead of offering partial refund so abruptly, you could have came to the forum sooner for help, you'll find that a lot of the members will suggest that you don't offer partial refund and insist on full refund upon return.

What does that mean? It means the buyer cannot get refund unless he/she wins the SNAD claim plus returning the item to you using delivery confirmation (or was it tracking number?).

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Please use plain text.
yzingerr706
Community Member

Re: Buyer protection plan is terrible for sellers auctioning a BUNDLE or LOT of used items

in reply to zyonite

Ebay is a complete joke.

I had an auction that clearly stated no returns accepted. The buyer opened a case and eBay decided it in his favor. I called them and asked how the buyer could possibly win the case when it says no returns accepted and they basically told me they side on the buyers most of the time. He told me that no returns accepted basically means nothing at all

Please use plain text.
zyonite
Community Member

in reply to yzingerr706

yzingerr706 wrote:

Ebay is a complete joke.

I had an auction that clearly stated no returns accepted. The buyer opened a case and eBay decided it in his favor. I called them and asked how the buyer could possibly win the case when it says no returns accepted and they basically told me they side on the buyers most of the time. He told me that no returns accepted basically means nothing at all

"No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by eBay Buyer Protection."

Read it more carefully next time, what the CSR forgot to tell you is that Buyer Protection will trump over the return policy on the listing.

It's there to stop sellers from misusing 'no returns' and treating it like 'no refunds', I think.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to zyonite

"Based on his CLAIMS?" Based on your so what comment one would ignore your story in total. You have no proof the item in question arrived in working order. I am also assuming that you didn't mention the scratches either.

Either would have lost you a SNAD claim. You didn't read the rules. Some sellers are great at blaming everyone but themselves.

All things considered, a partial was probably in your best interest due to lack of disclosure.

Please use plain text.
backusfamily
Community Member

in reply to lindseybeth1231
I just sold a NEW part. The listing stated "no returns or exchanges," because it would be very easy for someone to switch out the new part for their old broken part and then just return it to me. The buyer received the new part, and then promptly opened a case with eBay. The buyer openly admitted that they will be returning a USED part to me. eBay found in their favor. Now, they get to keep my new part, and will be shipping their used junk to me. I just lost hundreds of dollars. Using these standards, I could claim that any item was "not as described," keep the item, and ship a Mickey Mouse doll back to the seller. I'm sure there is a way to keep from getting scammed like this, but I don't know what it is. If, as a seller, I get absolutely zero protection, I'm not sure that I can afford to continue selling on eBay.
Please use plain text.