cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocity that is eBay Customer Service - What is my alternative?

slxlohocla
Enthusiast

Been selling on eBay for 10 years.  I have 2951 all positive feedbacks on my selling name.  I have had 2 neutrals dropped on me and never a negative.  The neutrals were by new users who did not understand the feedback system.

I used to have an account manager.

This new customer service model is the WORST customer service model I have ever...EVER seen.

Recent experiences:

Called to ask about why I can't raise "buy it now" price above a certain amount without being asked to start a new listing.

Can only get OVERSEAS help.  First try they put me on hold 'cause they didn't know.  I asked for Supervisor when they didn't give adequate answer.  Was told he'd call back in 24 hours.  Took 'em 2 days.  He didn't give adequate answers.

I called back the next day to try again.  Overseas girl answered told me that since I had a starting price of $1500 I couldn't add a "buy it now" feature to my listing.  Seriously?  FAIL.  I literally had to train her on the telephone about the buy it now feature.  She admitted her error and apologized for giving me incorrect information.  She was very sweet.  I felt bad for her.

Ebay called my home number today to tell me about new promotions.  I changed that phone number in the preferences several weeks ago yet they continue to call my home.  I called customer service today to find out what I have to do to be sure they quit calling my home number.  We don't check those messages anymore and only use our cell phones.  Overseas customer support put me on hold for 38 minutes before I hung up.  This was just about changing my number in the preferences ya'll!  

I call again.  Support answers.  I ask, "what country are you in?"  Manilla.  I say, "put me through to the U.S. support."  They say they will help me.  I say no thanks.  They say ok I will connect you.  Someone answers after a few minutes.  She only tells me she is in "Asia."  I say no thanks...and hang up.

I call back again.  Girl answers.  "Where are you located," I ask her.  She says, "our policy does not allow me to tell you where I am located."  I say, "are you kidding me?"  I say, "are you being for real?"  She says, "yes, I am serious."  I laugh so hard in her ear that I can hardly contain myself.  Now, they are telling them to HIDE where they are from!  ahhahahahahhahaa

I call back again.  Guy answers.  "Where are you located," I ask him.  "Manilla," he says.  I hang up.

I give up.

So I come here.

Am I in the TWILIGHT ZONE! ????

What has happened to eBay customer support?  This is as bad as it gets.

I make eBay a LOT of money and offer the stellar service to my customers that they badly want out of a seller yet they don't offer that to me.

I would like to hear of an alternative to eBay?  Coke has Pepsi.  Chevy has Ford.

I don't see a viable alternative to eBay at the moment?  Amazon?  They don't auction do they?  I've never checked Amazon.  Ebay seems scared of Amazon so have any of you guys sold there?  After 10 years and nearly flawless feedback and customer service by me I am now seriously looking for alternatives to what eBay has become.

I will be looking into developing my own website to sell my wares but in the meantime let me know your thoughts.

Has eBay become "too big to fail?"

Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

I don't know. But when you find it would you let the rest of us know??

I have been on e-bay since 1999. It was great at one time but has deteoriated to what it is now.

I know your frustrations. For almost a year now I must log in EVERY TIME I come to the e-bay site before I can do anything... their check box to stay logged in simply doesn't work. I called support too. Could scarcely understand the poor gal that answered the phone.... I, like you called again and again.... NO RESULT.  A few weeks ago a gent called and wanted to tell me about the "Ebay system upgrades" finally, after trying to convince me that these latest changes that screwed sellers and realizing that he had failed, he asked me if there was anything else he could do for me.... I even told this guy about the login problems. He filled out a request for support while we were on the phone but I have never heard a single word. Not one.

Too big to fail? No. Someone will come along. There are others and I am trying them with mixed results. Do a Google search and you can find other places to sell.

Its sad. Just sad as to what has happened to e-bay. E-bay had the world by the tail and just couldn't figure out what to do from there I guess. Sad.   Good Luck.

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.
Message 2 of 62
latest reply

I agree that Ebay seems to have forgotten where it came from. I've been a member since 1998, back when it was fun. Their new fee structure that now includes shipping charges requires you to add 14% over and above actual ship costs just to break even between that charge and PayPal, and customers don't understand this. We just lost our "Top Rated" status and the 20% discount that goes with it because 4 customers (less than 1% over last 12 months) griped on the shipping charges (and we are one of those that have never abused the policy). Additionally, your $10-$15 range items just got your Ebay fees DOUBLED because of the shipping inclusion.

Perhaps they might want to look at how quick Netflix went down when they made decisions that challemged their most loyal customer base...Netflix lost 800,000 subscribers and their stock dropped 27% in just one quarter. Now they are reversing course but most of those customers will never be back...HELLO REDBOX!

There are a number of new internet auction websites popping up, most with much more attractive fee structures than Ebay. I know of several local dealers that are trying these websitee just for the reasons above. The policies Ebay is employing might be just the fodder needed to give this competition the ability to be a serious challenge.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

quicksett
Enthusiast

Amen!  I am so tired of being a mushroom for ebay.  They ltod me when i had called to find out why my payment was put on hold that they had sent E-mail about policy changes to everyone.  I never got this so called e-mail.  Then they admitted they haven't sent it yet.  but i am suppose to know why they are holding my money.   So it appears that i don't sell enough for ebay for them to care.So my buyer get their packages in three days but i have to wait 21 days to get my payment.  Now there are fees on shipping to.  It's getting to expensive to sell on ebay  all the final value fees take up all your profit.  And why is it so hard to let us talk to a U.S. rep  and called racist if you ask for one?  it's not a matter of that it's a matter of being able to understand what's being said to you.  I too am wating for something better.  there seems to be a double standard.  If you make us lots of cash do as you feel.  But screw the little guy

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

One has to wonder what the real goal is here on E-Bay's side. WHY are they doing all of this??   These folks (no matter what we think) aren't stupid.... Thre IS a goal. It would be nice if they realized we aren't stupid either and just spill it!

They have stockholders that are watching....expecting a return on their $$. Everyone involved in a transaction needs to make a little money.... E-Bay and us sellers. There isn't a business out there that will survive if either side is constantly hammered and not making a few $$. Just won't work.

Yes... NetFlix is learning... when I looked at their stock about an hour ago they were down 37%.  

Just makes one wonder!

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

I think they've had a corporate "change of guard" with some new blood driving the bus, and the old vision is gone. History is full of mature, succesful  companies tanking because "new blood" decided they're ideas were a better direction than those past. An interesting read is a study by Ichak Adizes entitled "Corporate Life Cycles", where he lays out what makes companies hum, and what makes them fail. When you seel the bell curve with notations, you can see where Ebay is right now. Same thing happened with Apple, "new blood" forced out Jobs, and they very nearly tanked. Jobs returned, Apple resumed its edge. The big thing here is Ebay really hasn't had any real competition, but its coming now, and coming fast. And when it arrives, there won't be much loyalty left from those that have been with them from the gitgo.  Another business law: 80% of your business comes from just 20% of your customers. When they move, look out. Ask Netflix. (or IBM, Xerox, Smith-Corona, Pan-Am, American Motors Corporation, AOL...the list of innovative and great American Companies that couldn't keep up with the competition is endless and continuing).

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

SMNTOYS, you are exactly right. If you fail to maintain existing customers, you are doomed.

We have many many customers that have been buying from us since day one. We TRY...sometimes fail I know, but TRY to treat every customer as we like to be treated. Every E-bay ad we run has a tag line that says "We have the worlds greatest customers". We honestly think that way....and it helps the entire process.

"I" do the support for my company. Why?? Because I want to know the customer gets the best I can offer...and thats me. No, I don't pretend to know it all....and I'm not saying they get the best "knowledge base" we have...but they get treated properly! I don't kiss their tail feathers but I will always go the extra mile. Thats how we built this little company. I have a customer right now that is struggling to learn CNC jewelry making... We are in so far.... 97 e-mails, 5 videos, and over 60 still images. The gent is getting there but slowly. When he calls or e-mails.... we will continue to help.... even with some things we didn't sell him. Thats business.... thats what you do.  Thats how important customers are...especially today!

Yep. E-Bay has rough water ahead. The thing they have going for them is that they were first. That can't last forever. Last year we started reaching out to other venues. We had to. With E-Bay traffic and actual sales dropping, we had to look elsewhere. I think everyone should.  It is just a matter of time until someone comes along with the backing $$ to take the lead. Its sad....the bus is headed for the ditch....can't stop....and will...WILL crash.  

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

This is a pretty neat page that I found interesting. It compares all the current internet auction websites (and rates them):

http://online-auction-sites.toptenreviews.com

I am trying a couple of them now. I think what eventually is going to happen is a lot of the niche markets will develop thier own listing/trading areas and websites, which makes sense if you don't want to get lost in the fog. We've been using an online "Antique Mall" for about 2 years with mixed results (iCollect247.com). One thing I really like about it is they will ONLY list stuff over 40 years old, which fits what we do (antique toys) nicely. It is growing like crazy the last year. $35 a month, and no other fees. Good Deal.

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

There are lots of options for you.  Have you investigated "The Ranch?"

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

krashing
Enthusiast

Thanks for the list. I've been on Ebay call for an hour right now (see my "drop dead" topic post) without a resolution.

People ought to call them day and night about these ridiculous Paypal holds.

Ebay is the next Netflix. Or is it Yahoo?

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

The Ranch? Nope...never heard of it. Googled it and got a great lead on a cathouse if I ever travel to Nevada (I don't think I'll need to bookmark THAT page!). What is it?

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time.  There are alternative sites to ebay but you have to search for them a bit at times.  For example, there is GreatCoins.com if you are a coin collector. There is etsy.com for handmade goods.  The person that posted about niche sites opening up is correct as eBay continues to get flooded, I believe that is the way the market will change.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

I made my first and last call to Ebay customer service this week. There is no point in calling them. If the question cant be answerd by their script then nothing. They cant help you anyway.

I asked her to stop reading the script and listen to me.....she did but a few seconds in said "Well anyway" "We will review this"

OH OK THANKS! WTF!!!!

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Bonanza dot com is often referred to as "The Ranch"

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

Now that's a pretty nice website, and I was unaware of it. I'm loading stuff on another alternative website right now to give them a test spin. I think the biggest challenge for these alternative sites will be attracting ongoing buyers. What would be REALLY interesting would be if Craigs List decided to jump in. They are big enough to produce an immediate influx of buyers and sellers nationally, and could use that power to feed an auction website.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply