cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 2nd @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us here for our weekly Community chat at 1 pm Pacific on Wednesday 8/2. There isn't a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your eBay buying & selling questions. 

Talk to you then!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for joining and welcome to the chat! The thread is now open grinning

***Reminder*** Please post eBay Guaranteed Delivery questions here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Guaranteed-Delivery/bd-p/EGD

Message 2 of 105
latest reply

I recently discovered a new function on the listing form when I’m revising a listing.  I think it is a HANDY tool, but I’m not sure it is working correctly.  It is just above the description on the right side. 

It says:  New! Mobile-Friendly Checker

If you click on that you come to a screen that has 3 tabs at the top.

1. Mobile View
  2. Active Content
  3. Non-compliant Links

It defaults Mobile View as it is the first tab.  It then may state you are OK or it may state “Your Listing Isn’t Quite Mobile-Friendly”.  If your listing isn’t mobile ready there are 2 sections that will show up. 

Image Exceeds Screen Width

Images should fit the maximum width of the screen to prevent horizontal scrolling.  

Then you can click on “Fix It For Me” if you want this fixed.

And / Or

Viewport meta tag incorrectly or missing. 

This tag should be included in the header for the font size in your item description to be legible on a mobile device.  

Once you click on the Fix it link, the Image exceeds screen width changes to a green check mark w/ the words No Horizontal Scrolling. 

If you fix the “viewport meta tag…”  It changes to a green check mark w/ Viewport Meta tag correctly set.

Now my problem is that SOMETIMES when I do this, the Horizontal scrolling changes back to a red exclamation point, I lose the green check mark.  The pic of the phone that is on the screen also changes back to my description not fitting on the phone screen without scrolling to the right.  You’d have to scroll to see the entire description.

I have not found the logic to why it does this sometimes and other times it doesn’t.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 105
latest reply

Welcome Back - hope you all enjoyed Vegas and TY for providing those of us who couldn't go with the pod casts.

Question - I'll be going on vacation at the end of Aug. I usually hide my items - but when I put them to view again - it seems that they need to re-index all over again and sales are very slow for about a month.

Do you lose your place in rotation because the items are hidden?

Message 4 of 105
latest reply

@Anonymous

I have a question about how old your seller account is, and what tests, if any, are being run on that seller account.

When you reply to our concerns about anomalies we see, you fail to ask basic questions about the user's operating system. Are they using an app, a laptop, mobile, device, phone, the advanced listing tool, the quick listing tool, viewing in a store front, fixed price, auction, international, ad infinitum?

How can you possibly give an informed answer when not one user has the same view, parameters, tests or experiences on this site?

Those of us who have more than one account have experienced first-hand just how uneven the playing field is here, especially with accounts started years apart from one another. When some tests stick to certain users for the duration, while others are never subjected to tests at all, none of your attempts to duplicate glitchy experiences are valid.

Control groups are a requirement in all areas of statistical study. Without the same parameters, your looking into these issues amounts to little more than uninformed speculation, based on only your account setup.

Until the entirety of ebay is on the same playing field, your research on technical issues. is pure bunk science.

Message 5 of 105
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

I recently discovered a new function on the listing form when I’m revising a listing.  I think it is a HANDY tool, but I’m not sure it is working correctly.  It is just above the description on the right side. 

1. Mobile View
  2. Active Content
  3. Non-compliant Links

It defaults Mobile View as it is the first tab.  It then may state you are OK or it may state “Your Listing Isn’t Quite Mobile-Friendly”.  If your listing isn’t mobile ready there are 2 sections that will show up. 

Images should fit the maximum width of the screen to prevent horizontal scrolling.  

And / Or

This tag should be included in the header for the font size in your item description to be legible on a mobile device.  

Once you click on the Fix it link, the Image exceeds screen width changes to a green check mark w/ the words No Horizontal Scrolling. 

If you fix the “viewport meta tag…”  It changes to a green check mark w/ Viewport Meta tag correctly set.

Now my problem is that SOMETIMES when I do this, the Horizontal scrolling changes back to a red exclamation point, I lose the green check mark.  The pic of the phone that is on the screen also changes back to my description not fitting on the phone screen without scrolling to the right.  You’d have to scroll to see the entire description.

I have not found the logic to why it does this sometimes and other times it doesn’t.

Hi @mam98031 - I'm not sure what the logic would be in having the tool work this way. That said, it's something we'll have to have access to your account to review. If you haven't yet, I would recommend contacting our customer service teams: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cuhome?from_ocs=1 when it happens again. They'll be able to review what may be causing it and what we need to do to have it resolved.

Message 6 of 105
latest reply

It has been noted on the Canadian boards that Seller Hub can't be used over multiple ID's and sites.

So, if you have 4 ID's and sell on .com and .ca you would have to deal with 8 Seller Hubs, one for each different ID and each different site.

How does this make it a replacement for Turbo Lister which can do it all.

Was the song and dance about getting rid of Turbo Lister and that the Seller Hub will replace it just a bunch of bunk.

Does Ebay even care that they are not giving us the full and truthful information.

Maybe they should retain Turbo Lister!

If I have to pay a bunch of money to replace Turbo Lister, it will make it very unprofitable to stay with Ebay and keep 1 or more stores.

Honest comments please and not we will refer it to the appropriate team.

Thank you

Message 7 of 105
latest reply

The catalog team made yet another devastating change and severely damaged the coin catalog. Now 100s of coins are defaulting to the "error" coin category when using the catalog with no apparent option to change catagories. Many variety coins and designation coins are defaulting to the error category forcing us to miscatagorize them. Simply by being in the catalog a coin can not be an error. Errors are unique and could not be cataloged except for by type thus the need for the "everything" type error category.

An error coin is a one off mistake. Say for example a penny planchet (blank) accidentally made it into a batch of dime planchets. Then the dime was struck on the penny planchet. This is an example of an error. Another would be if a piece of scrap metal was laying on a planchet and was struck into the coin, this is another example of an error.

What is NOT an example of an error is anything with a catalog reference number. Every doubled die, repuched date/mintmark, over mintmarks, cameo proofs, prooflike strike, overdates, full steps nickels, full bands dimes, full bell line Franklins, chopmark Trade Dollars and probably more that I have not come across yet.

Some of those I can't find any reason why they would get listed as errors (chopmarks/die pairs/cameo/full bands etc).

The rest (doubled dies/repunched mint marks/overdates etc) are not considered to be errors since the "error" was on the die itself and they are considered to be die varieties not "one off" errors, and each type should be categorized in their respective category. No experienced numismatist would ever consider a die variety to be an error.

We can add this to the list of coin catalog problems along with PCGS coin numbers no longer brining up the catalog info after the first overhaul and was never fixed. Also as I reported multiple times to the catalog team, some browsers are showing the catalog "stock photo" in the listing despite their supposed removal if one or more pics are uploaded. After that report the catalog team still emails me every three months or so telling me they don't understand the problem and I have sent plenty of screenshots and explanations. Yet despite my hard work these problems are still unresolved.

Hopefully this error category issue does not remain a permanent fixture as the last problems did. I would very much like my items to be properly described, imaged, and categorized....The current state of the catalog prevents this.

Message 8 of 105
latest reply

Is there any particular purpose behind the sudden change to the Unsolds page? It's kind of annoying having to go to my seller hub just to be able to do a simple relist.

Might seem miniscule to some people but to me it's an unecessary change and a waste of resources that went into this change that instead could have gone towards actually fixing bugs and glitches.

Bigmotormania
Message 9 of 105
latest reply

Good Afternoon everyone. Nice to see you all.

Ann

Message 10 of 105
latest reply

My landing page got changed from All Selling to Seller Hub.
(If I click "Selling" in the dropdown menu at the top, it now goes to Seller Hub.)

On the All Selling page, there's a way to change your landing page. I don't see any such option on the Seller Hub page. Nor do I see any OTHER way to get from the Seller Hub page back to the All Selling page.

The CS agent I talked to said I have to "Opt Out" of Seller Hub any time I want to see the All Selling page, and then get back there by entering "/sellerhub" on the URL Line.

I think that's ridiculous. It should be possible/easy to jump both ways, to see either page whenever you want to.
Please put a Seller Hub access opton on the old-style selling pages, and an All Selling access option on the Seller Hub page...up there where you can jump to Active, Sold, Unsold, etc...add All Selling as an option.

Message 11 of 105
latest reply

I have a question about yesterday's announcement re. APV.

"With APV, overpaid postage is automatically credited back to senders’ balance, meaning sellers will not overpay for postage."

Where will the credit be applied? On PayPal, on eBay?

Message 12 of 105
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Welcome Back - hope you all enjoyed Vegas and TY for providing those of us who couldn't go with the pod casts.

Question - I'll be going on vacation at the end of Aug. I usually hide my items - but when I put them to view again - it seems that they need to re-index all over again and sales are very slow for about a month.

Do you lose your place in rotation because the items are hidden?

Hey @tunicaslot - if you put your items on Vacation hold and block purchases, when you bring items back after vacation the items will re-index, which could take up to 24 hours to get back into search. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 105
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

1. Mobile View
  2. Active Content
  3. Non-compliant Links

And / Or

Hi @mam98031 - I'm not sure what the logic would be in having the tool work this way. That said, it's something we'll have to have access to your account to review. If you haven't yet, I would recommend contacting our customer service teams: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cuhome?from_ocs=1 when it happens again. They'll be able to review what may be causing it and what we need to do to have it resolved.

So this is only happening to my account?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 105
latest reply

The eBay help pages still indicate that the maximum number of variations per listing is 250; however, the new listing tool appears to allow more than that. So...

What is the current/correct maximum number of variations allowed per listing?

(If 250 is still the maximum allowed, I have to assume that the new selling form just leaves room for "all possible variations" to be auto-created, but would not actually allow an item to be listed without the appropriate number being deleted first. If the maximum number has actually increased, then it would be helpful to have the help pages reflect that.)

Thanks.

Message 15 of 105
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: