cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swiss MOVADO made vs. swiss MOVADO quartz

I have read that if your watch face says swiss movado made it is real, and i have read that if it says swiss movado quartz it is real. I have also read that both are fakes... Can anyone please clear this up. I am trying to find out for a Movado Diamond Harmony watch.
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: swiss MOVADO made vs. swiss MOVADO quartz

A pertinant quote on the subject from from the Fédération de l'industrie horlogère suisse (FH)

"Swiss Quartz" indication

This indication is often illegally affixed to the outside of the watch, especially by foreign manufacturers wishing to show that the quartz movement used is of Swiss origin.

Wonder who they might have in mind?  🙂

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Here is some background on the subject from from the Fédération de l'industrie horlogère suisse (FH). The FH does not recognize the terms "Swiss Quartz" or " Swiss Automatic" so these are not official watch designations....

"Swiss Quartz" indication

This indication is often illegally affixed to the outside of the watch, especially by foreign manufacturers wishing to show that the quartz movement used is of Swiss origin.

They go on to list the only designations recognized:

Swiss Made= (applies to entire watch)   Final watch assembly/inspection in Switzerland. Only the Movement must be Swiss Made. All other components (Case, dial, crystal, band) do not have to be Swiss made!

Swiss Movement= (applies to movement only)  Final assembly/inspection in Switzerland. Majority of parts must be Swiss Made. (50% recently increased to 60% for Quartz and 80% for Mechanical movements.)

Swiss Parts= (applies to a movement assembled in a foreign country from Swiss parts.)

Swiss Wristlet= May appear on bracelet or band.

Swiss Case= May appear on inside of case.

Movado has used the term "Swiss Quartz" since they started making quartz watches. At that time, most watch manufacturer's dials stated simply "Swiss" on the bottom rather than "Swiss Made" with "Quartz" appearing somewhere else on the dial. So very likely, Movado simply chose to combine the terms at the bottom of the dial with the brand name to leave the minimalist face blank, hence "Swiss MOVADO Quartz". Innocent enough. In addition, most, if not all of Movado's ESQ branded watches also bear either the "Swiss Quartz" designation. After Quartz became the dominant movement, it was no longer such a selling point, and many watchmakers including Movado later dropped the term from the watch face. Movado evolved into using just "Swiss Made" as eBayer theVellman has noted, however lately they have been using both terms again, with "Swiss Quartz" appearing on a few of their lower end watches, such as the Bold line and the "Movado Collection" line sold primarily in their company stores and various online resellers. Even more curious are that some Bold watches state simply "Movado" on the dial and some, have no writing at all! (So, the big question is whether the Movados with no Swiss markings at all are perhaps totally Asian made!) This inconsistancy does bring questions to mind, but does not automatically make these watches fakes!  But to continue to use "Swiss Quartz" today is a bit misleading, as it could imply that the entire watch is Swiss, which just isn't the case. So, it seems that the correct term Movado should use for these watches is, "Swiss Movement" rather than "Swiss Quartz."

According to Movado's annual stock report, "Movado (with the exception of Movado BOLD), Ebel and Concord watches are manufactured in Switzerland by independent third party assemblers. All Movado, ESQ, Ebel and Concord watches are manufactured using Swiss movements. All the Company’s products are manufactured using components obtained from third party suppliers. ESQ and Movado BOLD watches are manufactured by independent contractors in Asia using Swiss movements. Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, HUGO BOSS, Juicy Couture, Scuderia Ferrari and Lacoste watches are manufactured by independent contractors in Asia."

Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that any Movado Group watches labelled "Swiss Quartz," do not meet the "Swiss Made" criteria, as they are manufactured in Asia, (probably mostly China) using inexpensive, borderline Swiss movements, usually from Ronda.  Movado's licensed sub-$500 brands are 100% Asian made including the movements, so a 100% Asian made Movado wouldn't be such a stretch at this price point. I get the idea that Movado is testing the waters a bit by expanding the Movado brand into lower lower price ranges which means lessening their dependance on expensive Swiss manufacturing. Their building a new facility in Switzerland may be more for distribution and warehousing than actual manufacturing. At any rate it would serve to bolster "Swiss" image of the brand, which might benefit their other non-Swiss brands by association. I noticed that they have changed their logo from "ESQ Swiss" to "ESQ Movado" lately which might mean that they may eventually eliminate the Swiss movements from ESQ watches. In the case of the recent ESQ watches that say "Swiss Automatic" these have been found simply to be refinished Chinese Seagull ST-16 movements with a new rotor installed. One look through the glass will reveal a movement design that is obviously Asian, looking just like a Miyota! Bit of a stretch to call these movements "Swiss" and charge $450! The movements also wound up in several other low-end "Swiss" brands, (Swiss Legend, Zodiac, Jaques Lemans) before the company that was making them, "Claro" went under.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

i want to sell my swiss movado orijinal i have buy it from france 2 month ago no scratche best condition i need money any body interested so call me plzz price 9000 if u wanna purchase i can discount 4 u more 03102334002 contact me u can see price in movado.com i can sold it 7000 urjent plzzzzzzz help me i have purchasing slip orijinal of this watch with home delivery in karachi pakistan

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

any body want to purchase i am waiting dear 03102334002 afridi_love233@yahoo.com no scratches life time warranty with orijinal purchasing slip new price is 25000// and i sell it 9000

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

photos dont help - looks fake to me - open the back and show the movement to bee if real Movado BUT . . . .- if real why would it possibly be worth more than about $500 - gold and jewels must be autheniticated to be worth the asking price - the watch value would be minimal

sorry

Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Message 20 of 47
latest reply

I have a movado its black and im tryin to sale it for 200 dollars
Message 21 of 47
latest reply

X how do I remove the back of the watch without scratching it to find out its authenticity?
Message 22 of 47
latest reply

yes movado both make swiss made and swiss quartz...i am buying and selling particularly movado`s too....

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

I wonder why some Movado Quartz are more expensive than Swiss Automatic ?  Both seem to pass the Swiss standard because they are mostly made there, but I can't figure out why a Movado SE Extreme with Quartz Movement is more expensive than say, an 1881 series.  Do you or anyone else in this group have an idea ?  

CL

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Hi, I saw your comment while trying to find information on the types of movements used in Hugo Boss watches. So far your comment has been more insightfull  than many pages online who make no mention of the source of the movement used. I saw a Specialized Disclosure report where indeed, movado makes no clear reference to the origin of their contracted brands appart from being manufactured in Asia:

" Ebel and Concord watches are manufactured in Switzerland by independent third party assemblers. All Movado, ESQ Movado, Ebel and Concord watches are manufactured using Swiss movements. ESQ Movado and Movado BOLD watches are manufactured by independent contractors in Asia using Swiss movements. Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, HUGO BOSS, Juicy Couture, Scuderia Ferrari and Lacoste watches are manufactured by independent contractors in Asia. "

I've been wondering weather the movement was swiss or not after reading this (http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/mrtech/36_tech_gadgets.html) review that claims all movements used are swiss in the last paragraph of the first page, so I have to ask; was the report your basis for claiming all parts of the watch including the movement are manufactured in asia or is there a source that specifically mentions the Hugo Boss brand?  I have my eye on a certain model and know it's purely a fasion watch, as well as that the look the watch I want has will only come from, a fasion brand. However, knowing if there's a halfway decent movement inside would save me the trouble of trying to mod the watch once I have it, to get both the aesthetic and functionality. 

I thank you for your time!

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Thank God an Honest ebayer.

Cliff

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

Way to get good buy is buy Coach watch  (they mfg. all Coach watches) as made by Movado but nearly half the cost.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Anyone that may be interested in my movado bold mens watch I have it listed on my page here on ebay.I need the money due to a recent diagnosis of a rare disease I cant work and have not been approved for any assistance yet because in my state there are too many people taking advantage of the system so the people who have genuine cause to need to assistance get denied and have to fight to get approved.This watch is brand new book,box,manual,card and everything original.This watch was listed for over 759.00. Iam selling it over 300 off.You cant find this deal anywhere.I also have quality fine rings for sale as well.PLEASE I really need anyones help at this time as I want to be able to concentrate on my terminal disease instead of having to worry about losing my heat this winter,my car or my houise and everything in it just to stay a float.I appreciate everyones consideration.Thankyou.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112747857557?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

That is the link to this watch above.Im accepting offers as well but please keep in mind Iam already offering this watch at an extremely liow price and I need every single penny.

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

erictheredps....Hi. I find all this interesting because I sell goods on the LetGo mobile app. I pride myself in selling authentic items.  So my question to you is the watchmaker that repaired the watch before you sold it on EBay more liable than you are? In terms of You took the watch for repair and also got it the stamp of approval on being an authentic timepiece.  If you don't mind sharing your opinion on liabilities between you as a seller and the watchmaker? Also I'm curious if you notified the watchmaker of the huge error in authentication they provided you with? I suggest that you consider doing so if you haven't already because it's bad for business for sellers and buyers to have a watchmaker who is out there giving authentication on fake timepieces. Overall thanks for posting your

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

Can someone tell me if this is authentic? The model number reads 01 1 20 1002. Does anyone know, when this model was manufacturered and any history? I tried find with google, but nothing helpful except some wrongly described pawn shop listings.

Thank you20180215_003849.jpg

On the plastic it reads SEVEN 7 JEWELS V8 SWISSOn the plastic it reads SEVEN 7 JEWELS V8 SWISS

20180214-204031.jpg

Message 30 of 47
latest reply