cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swiss MOVADO made vs. swiss MOVADO quartz

I have read that if your watch face says swiss movado made it is real, and i have read that if it says swiss movado quartz it is real. I have also read that both are fakes... Can anyone please clear this up. I am trying to find out for a Movado Diamond Harmony watch.
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: swiss MOVADO made vs. swiss MOVADO quartz

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
There is no accurate way to verify authenticity from what is printed on the dial. There are a large number of different companies manufacturing different versions and qualities of these Movado replicas. While a few lower-grade replicas might have the dials signed incorrectly, you can expect the better grade-1 replicas to be perfect in nearly every respect. Even the lower grade models that have incorrectly signed dials will have this defect corrected in newer versions, so a correctly signed dial does not indicate authenticity.

Greg
Message 2 of 47
latest reply

so are you saying that movado makes both types?
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
I'm saying that if you find a watch that is marked incorrectly, it will indicate that you have a replica, but the converse is not true; if you find a dial marked correctly, it does NOT necessarily mean the watch is authentic. Many of the better replicas are correct in every external detail.

Greg
Message 4 of 47
latest reply

carolcha62
Enthusiast
Authentic Movados can be marked either Swiss MOVADO Made or Swiss MOVADO Quartz. The same can be said for fakes.
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

brett_bauer
Enthusiast
the majority of copies with movado are very cheaply produced a very nice copy that is all stainless with a nice swiss quarts quarts movt would cost roughly the same and have the same quality so why would a company bother making a nice replica? on the other hand rolex has bead replicas and great replicas, but its worth it if the original cost so much more ex:
good copy movado=$400.00 movado=$500.00
Good copy rolex=$500.00 rolex=$8000.00
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

brett_bauer
Enthusiast
bad not bead replicas,
sorry
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

printed " swiss MOVADO quartz " which means battery operated watch. You can check on movado website some watches images are swiss movado quartz http://www.movado.com/movado-collections/featured-collections/movado-bold.html .
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Hello. First, let me introduce myself. I am thevellman seller of only authentic Swiss made Movado watches. I have been selling on eBay sense 10/04/01 and have been awarded " Top Rated Seller Status " with a 5628 at 100% positive feedback rating and climbing. Plus a near perfect 5 star customer satisfaction rating.

I SPECIALIZE IN AUTHENTIC SWISS MADE MOVADO WATCHES AND SELL ON AVERAGE MORE THAN 100 MOVADOS A MONTH, EVERY MONTH. $20,000 OR MORE IN SALES ON AVERAGE EVERY MONTH. SO YOU CAN TRUST MY INFORMATION AND MY WATCHES TO BE AUTHENTIC.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS SOME INCORRECT INFORMATION POSTED IN SOME GUIDES WRITTEN HERE ON EBAY AND ONLINE CONCERNING "HOW TO SPOT A FAKE  MOVADO"

FIRST INCORRECT STATEMENT I SEE OTHERS TELLING POTENTIAL BUYERS IS "IF THE MOVADO READS "Swiss MOVADO Quartz" AND NOT "Swiss MOVADO Made" ON THE DIAL THAN IT IS A FAKE.

THIS IS NOT CORRECT AT ALL. FOR YEARS MOVADO PRINTED "SWISS MOVADO QUARTZ" ON THEIR DIALS. IT WAS NOT UNTIL AROUND THE  THE LATE 1990'S TO EARLY 2000'S THEY SWITCHED TO "SWISS MOVADO MADE" AND UNDERSTAND THAT FOR SOME YEARS AFTER THERE WERE STILL WATCHES ON THE SHELVES AND IN WAREHOUSES THAT GOT SOLD MUCH AFTER 2000 THAT STILL READ 'SWISS MOVADO QUARTZ"

THE TRUTH IS, THE AVERAGE WATCH BUYER JUST ASSUMES IF IT READS MOVADO ON THE FRONT AND BACK IT MUST BE REAL. THIS IS FAR FROM TRUE. I HAVE SEEN MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS OF FAKE MOVADO WATCHES THAT LOOK REAL BUT ARE NOT.

WHAT MAKES A MOVADO AUTHENTIC IS THE SWISS MADE MOVEMENT INSIDE, NOT WHAT IS PRINTED OR STAMPED ON THE WATCH. ALSO NOTE THAT NOT ALL MOVADO MOVEMENTS WILL HAVE THE NAME MOVADO PRINTED ON IT BUT ABOUT 95% WILL (SOME OLDER MODELS FROM THE 1980'S MAY NOT) ALSO NOTE THAT COMING IN A BOX THAT READS MOVADO ON IT AND A MANUAL DOES NOT PROVE IT TO BE AUTHENTIC EITHER. THE SAME HOLDS TRUE IF IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A FAKE OR THAT YOU SHOULD ASSUME IT IS.

MANY ASIAN COMPANIES THAT PRODUCE THESE FAKES ALSO PRODUCE FAKE BOXES AND PAPERWORK TO GO WITH THE WATCH. ANY WATCH THAT HAS MOVADO PRINTED ON THE DIAL AND STAMPED MOVADO ON THE BACK BUT HAS A MOVEMENT INSIDE THAT READS "THAILAND" THAILAND WITH SWISS PARTS" "SINGAPORE" "JAPAN" "HONG KONG" "CHINA" OR I HAVE EVEN SEEN FAKES WITH RUSSIA PRINTED ON MOVEMENTS. THESE WOULD ALL BE COUNTERFEITS. ALSO NOTE THAT ALL AUTHENTIC MOVADOS WILL HAVE A SWISS MADE MOVEMENT BUT MOVADO HAS FARMED OUT INSIGNIFICANT PARTS TO BE PRODUCED IN HONG KONG. PARTS LIKE THE METAL CASE BACK ON SOME MODELS.

YOUR BEST BET ON MAKING THAT BIG PURCHASE IS TO BUY FROM A SELLER WITH A LONG HISTORY OF SELLING LUXURY WATCHES ON EBAY WITH EXCELLENT FEEDBACK. SOMEONE WHO KNOWS AN AUTHENTIC FROM A FAKE. MANY SELLERS DO NOT EVEN REALIZE THE WATCH THEY ARE SELLING IS A FAKE. THEY JUST ASSUME IT MUST ME REAL AS IT HAS THE MOVADO NAME ON IT.

YOU ARE PROTECTED UNDER PAY PAL IF YOU RECEIVE A FAKE AS IT IS AGAINST EBAY POLICY AND THE LAW TO SELL COUNTERFEIT GOODS. IF YOU SUSPECT THE MOVADO OR ANY BRAND WATCH YOU RECEIVED TO BE A FAKE, TAKE IT TO AND AUTHORIZED DEALER TO VERIFY ITS AUTHENTICITY.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT MOST MOVADO WATCHES I SEE FOR SALE ON EBAY ARE AUTHENTIC, BUT I DO SEE MANY THAT I CAN EASILY SPOT AS FAKES. SOME ARE HARDER TO TELL JUST BY PHOTOS AS THERE ARE SOME HIGH END FAKE MOVADOS THAT LOOK VERY CORRECT IN APPEARANCE YET STILL HAVE AN ASIAN MADE MOVEMENT INSIDE.

ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT A SELLER MIGHT HAVE A 4000 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING, BUT RARELY DEALS IN LUXURY WATCHES. SO THEY MAY HAVE NO IDEA IF THE WATCH THEY ARE SELLING IS AUTHENTIC.

I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU IN MAKING A WISE PURCHASE ON AN AUTHENTIC MOVADO WATCH.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

hi sir i was wondering i sold a watch to a gentelman a movado swiss quartz that the buyer says is a fake and is sending it home im ok with that.my question is  there are serial numbers on back and a watchmaker put a new battery in and i asked is that a real watch or a fake and he said it was real and had the name on the inside as well can i send a few pics to you for the heck of it i will get this back soon and really could care less but it would be informative if i nknew this was authentic or fake thanks for your time sir ...........

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

I have a 1980's early Movado men's museum watch, which they now call a unisex in most listings.  I went to sell this watch, as it has never been worn, but the store would not buy it because they said they have never seen a movado museum watch, nor any movado without a serial number on the case (stainless steel) back.  I am certain that Movado did not put serial numbers on these early museum watches.  The movement is a 7 jewell swiss made movado movement, but they still said it must have a serial number on the back.  Could your provide some feedback.

Carl

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Printing technology has advanced over the years & this tech is easily available. Today, you can't tell a watch is fake just by looking at the print.

The truth is in the pudding as the saying goes. Looking at the movement is the best way to judge a Movado watch.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Hi

Maybe you can help.

I have a vintage two tone automatic Movado sub second "doctors watch"

It has the numbers 182280 1159 printed on the inside of the case back.and

Movado Factories, Swiss Made 15 jewels stamped on the movement.

I have exhausted research on the internet and will appreciatge help with

Where do I find the Caliber number? or can you give me some type of info on this watch.

Regards

Jeff

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

That looks badly weathered, but if you can, please remove the back and post a sharp photo of the movement inside.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

The FH does not recognize the terms "Swiss Quartz" or " Swiss Automatic" so these are not official watch designations.

Below are the only designations recognized:

Swiss Made= (applies to entire watch)   Final watch assembly/inspection in Switzerland. Only the Movement must be Swiss Made.

Swiss Movement= (applies to movement only)  Final assembly/inspection in Switzerland. Majority of parts must be Swiss Made. (50% recently increased to 60% for Quartz and 80% for Mechanical movements.)

Swiss Parts= (applies to a movement assembled in a forgein country from Swiss parts.)

Swiss Wristlet= May appear on bracelet or band.

Swiss Case= May appear on inside of case.

Movado has used the term "Swiss Quartz" since they started making quartz watches. At that time, most watch dials stated simply "Swiss" rather than "Swiss Made." So very likely, it was created as more of a marketing term. Movado later evolved into using "Swiss Made" as eBayer Vellman has noted, however lately they have been using both terms, with "Swiss Quartz" appearing on a few of their lower end watches, such as the Bold line. This inconsistancy does bring questions to mind, but does not automatically make them fakes! Most, if not all of their ESQ branded watches bear either the "Swiss Quartz" or "Swiss Automatic" designation. Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that not only the ESQ line, but Movado's own lower end watches as well do not meet "Swiss Made" criteria, as they are manufactured outside of Switzerland, (very likely china as stated on their bands and boxes.) using mostly Ronda movements which are inexpensive, borderline "Swiss" (at least 60%) quartz movements.

It would be more honest of Movado to say "Swiss Movement" on these watches because "Swiss Quartz" apart from breaking with watchmaking conventions, incorrectly implies that the entire watch is Swiss. Maybe they don't think anyone will know the difference. Of course, I get the idea that Movado feels the brand name is now more important to most of their customers than where it's made. In the case of the recent ESQ watches that say "Swiss Automatic" these have been found simply to be refinished Chinese Seagull ST-16 movements with a new rotor installed. One look through the glass will reveal a movement design that is obviously Asian, looking just like a Miyota! Bit of a stretch to call these movements "Swiss" and charge $450, even for an American company that markets themselves as a "Swiss" brand, yet manufactures it in China! The movements also wound up in several other low-end "Swiss" brands, (Swiss Legend, Zodiac, Jaques Lemans) before the company that was making them, "Claro" went under. Watch companies a party to such a practice risk ruining their reputations.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply