eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

getting a rolex certified?

hi everyone,
i was just wondering how i would go about getting a rolex i just purchased at an estate auction tonight, certified? i would imagine a jeweler or watch repair person would have to be certified by rolex to do such a job.i see alot of concerns being mentioned about fake's on these threads,and i don't want to list this one until i'm absolutely sure i'm going to have a satisfied customer.i'm striving for pos fb's and don't want to blow it now(or ever for that matter lol).unfortunately,it came w/no certs or paperwork,but i am pretty sure it's the real mcCoy.any help would be greatly appriciated.
sincerely,
billy mac
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
appriciated? lol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
It depends to what extend you want it certified. Any good and experienced jeweler can issue an "authentication", complete with current value. These certificates are made on the jeweler`s letterhead and often serve insurance-purposes.

An authentication, where a new authorized (copy) chronometer-certificate is issued is more complex, more expensive and can only be done by Rolex itself.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
thanx leonsplace,
this watch says-rolex-oyster perpetual-submariner-1000/t=300m-superlative chronometer-officially certified-and then below 6 0'clock it says swiss t<25.
does the fact that it's superlative chronometer mean that a good jeweler can't authenticate it?thanx again,
billy mac
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
Billy Mac,

I think you may be confusing the term "certified" with "authentic". Any good Rolex repair shop can "authenticate" your watch. The new Rolex replicas/fakes are getting so good, the only sure way to authenticate a Rolex is to open the case and examine the movement. The newest replicas are correct in virtually all external details, so some of the old verification tests (serial numbers between lugs, magnification of cyclops, microetched crystal, etc.) just don't work anymore. In addition, even "genuine" Rolexes often have aftermarket non-Rolex parts attached (bezels, dials, bands, etc.) that compromises their value and can create problems for a new owner down the road when he/she tries to have it serviced at a Rolex facility. There are lots of pitfalls. Certs, boxes and paperwork also mean nothing, as fake boxes and papers, hang tags and hologram stickers are sold everywhere.

The reference to "superlative chronometer officially certified" on the dial refers to the timekeeping ability at the time of manufacture. To bear the word "chronometer" on the dial, the watch must be sent by Rolex to a third-party certifying agency, "COSC" (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres, where the watch undergoes rigorous testing. To receive its COSC Chronometer Certificate, a watch must maintain an accuracy within -4 to +6 seconds of variation per day. Watches must also meet strict standards for mean variation in rate, greatest variation in rate, horizontal and vertical difference, greatest deviation in rates, rate variation due to temperature and resumption of rate. These tests are designed to measure accuracy under various operating conditions. For more info:

http://www.geneva.ch/_chronometres_geneva.htm

Hope this helps!

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
you have to go to a dealer / watch repair who specializes in vintage rolexes. There are lots and lots of fakes out there and one should never buy a rolex w/out having it authenticated first! also, if you get an appraisal, keep in mind it will most likely be an insurance appraisal (unless you tell them to do otherwise) and the actual retail value will be about 1/4 of that amount.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bilymac17600
Do not take your watch to a "jeweler"...
watches need a "watch maker"!
There is no substitute.
Try SYWidget - Free SYW Generator
Please use plain text.