eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
sperls
Community Member

Vintage-LeCoultre "Atmos" Clock-Repair-Cost??

I saw a vintage LeCoultre Atmos clock serial #65329 at a thrift store...It was not working..It was cheap enough,so I bought it..I took it home..Opened the door..I remembered there was a lever,that locked the clock..I moved the lever to the left & the wheel started to move,,It kept perfect time...THEN,without locking it,...I moved it four feet,to a desk & it no longer keeps time!!...I now know you should never move this clock,without locking it first!
The wheel,is now,out of poise...What do repairs usually cost?,,Is there an easy fix?

Thanks for any help..
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Vintage-LeCoultre "Atmos" Clock-Repair-Cost??

in reply to sperls
Unless you were very rough while moving it, you probably shifted the lever out of position so that it does not rock the escapement verge any longer. Look to see that the rotating weight moves the lever and allows the escapement wheel to move one click - about every 45 seconds or so.

Important note - these clocks can give the appearance of working when they actually are not working at all. the heavy pendulum has so much momentum built in and the small mainspring can retain enough power that the clock will run and keep time for a whole day or two - meanwhile if the bellows has leaked all its gas it will not be rewinding at all and will eventually stop.

Recharge and general service of Atmos clocks can range from $200 to $500 depending on your clock guy, your locaton, and what work needs to be done.
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sperls
also note that the clock must be perfectly level - the feet adjust - check to make sure that its not out of level in its new location
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to sperls
Some models have a little spirit level to help with this.

If the suspension spring is broken, it is a very expensive repair. If the pendulum us still rotating, you may not have much of a problem.

It is not possible to put one of these clocks out of beat by simply moving it. Not moving it in any reasonable way, anyway.

You say it no longer keeps time. What does this mean, that it no longer works at all.? What do you think you mean by out of poise?
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
sperls
Community Member

in reply to sperls
Hello & thank you for your help.
I have leveled the clock..The pendulum does rotate for a few minutes,then it stops....The clock was probably like this,when I made the purchased..I doubt if the little move i gave it,caused the problem.

I do not want to spend $200-$500 to repair..I noticed,that a non-working Atmos 540 recently sold for parts & received good money...How do I find out the year & model number on mine?..the serial # is 65329

Here are some pics:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sperls
its likely from the early - mid 1950's based on that serial number - say 1952 to 1956

You can look up a more accurate date online - google "atmos serial numbers"
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to sperls
The calibre number (in effect, model number) is under the base. Lock the pendulum then turn it upside down.

Observe the escapement when the pendulum is turning, is the lever moving from side to side and releasing escape wheel teeth? And is the escape wheel turning. If it is some power is getting through.

I have had some success with long neglected Atmos clocks by using the minutest touch of watch oil on the escape wheel teeth. If you don't have a watch oiler a needle would do, if there is enough watch oil to see there is too much. But you probably do not have watch oil either. Do not use any other kind.

How much did it cost?
Please use plain text.
sperls
Community Member

in reply to sperls
DG-- I Googled Atmos serial numbers.It is 1950`s..Model 522

AF-I turned it upside down..It is stamped LeCoultre-Swiss & has some letters & numbers scratched on corners..I am not experienced enough to tamper with the clock,myself..I do not have watch oil...It is a beautiful clock & I will enjoy it as,is for now...I paid $100.

Thank You & Happy New Year!

sperls
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to sperls
Well, you got a real bargain there. Any Atmos buyer would be happy to buy an Atmos with an intact suspension for $400, I'd say.
Please use plain text.
sperls
Community Member

in reply to sperls
That`s good to know!!..I plan to list it soon.

Thanks,Again
Sperls
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sperls
If you sell it and need to ship it - pack it very well. Lock it up and wrap in several layers of big bubble, bubble wrap. Then box it - then put that box in another box full of packing peanuts. leaving at least 4 inches room all around it. This clock needs to be double boxed to avert disaster.
Please use plain text.
sperls
Community Member

in reply to sperls
I will package it very carefully.

Thanks...Sperls
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sperls

If you still have this clock, I would like to consider purchasing it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sperls
I have a 1980 s atmos 13 jeweles s# 617667 same situation. Would u be interested in buying mine for a decent price
Please use plain text.
curtsclocks
Community Member

in reply to sperls

We can repair for $350

Take a look at www.curtsclocks.com

Please use plain text.
curtsclocks
Community Member

in reply to sperls

Nice Atmos!

Caliber 522, like the one in the left of my picture. 

More set up information can be found at my website www.curtsclocks.com

LeCoultre Atmos Clocks For Sale.JPG
Please use plain text.
curtsclocks
Community Member

in reply to thatzminez

Please email me photos of your clocks for sale. I am only interested in non-running clocks. curtsclocks@gmail.com

Please use plain text.
lucy*davies
Community Member

in reply to curtsclocks

Please resize your pictures tyo a max of 200 KB before posting, multimegabyte pictures take ages to load and may not load on mobile devices.

It is also against board policy to solicit purchases. Send a personal message to the poster, who probably won't be looking here anyway.

Please use plain text.
curtsclocks
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lucy*davies

Good Atmos Clock info here:

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgATh2y0098

Please use plain text.